Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wujens and Ally Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
kuroko
Ok, so I'm looking at a concept character that is an European Wujen (so he doesn't call himself Wujen, but something else - big deal). I'm reviewing Wujen in MitS and on these boards, and I came up with some questions:
Does an aspected Wujen still summon spirits of man?
Has anyone ever found one type of the elemental spirit easier to summon than the other?
Has anyone ever considered house ruling elemental spirits as bindable like elementals?

And a few from the same source on ally spirits:
Can you have more than one ally spirit?
Could you summon a great form ally? Would it still have just the standard bonuses to great form?
Would anyone approve a metamagic to allow ally spirits to learn skills their masters don't possess?
Joker9125
Has anyone ever found one type of the elemental spirit easier to summon than the other?
Has anyone ever considered house ruling elemental spirits as bindable like elementals?

All elementals are the same to summon. Their is no easier to summon elemental unless you count low force elementals. If you want to have an easier time conjuring then just take the homeground edge and conjure on your homeground.
By cannon elementals are the only ones bindable like this. If you take that unique ability away it takes away some of their usefullness.

And a few from the same source on ally spirits:

Dont wanna open up that can of worms

Could you summon a great form ally? Would it still have just the standard bonuses to great form?

By connon. Ally's and Ancestor spirits dont have greater forms. Read the section on invoking in MiTS i think thats where it is. If not ill find it and refference the page

Would anyone approve a metamagic to allow ally spirits to learn skills their masters don't possess?

If cannon says your ally caint learn skills you dont have. Then no.
Sahandrian

If I remember how they work, then I think the only difference would be in the availability of the raw materials. So from easiest to toughest is probably: Sylph, Gnome, Manitou, Undine, Salamander

In "Portfolio of a Dragon," Dunkelzahn refers to having at least 5 ally spirits, and there are no rules against it, only against taking the Familiar ordeal more than once. Sot he answer is probably yes.

No. That's in MitS.

I'd allow it, myself. Probably something based on Adept centering.
GunnerJ
Target: Wastelands (I think) mentions that the inuit have a metamagic that allows their ally spirits to have the fear and accident powers.

Also, while there are no great form ally spirits, Target: Awakened Lands provides rules for great form ancestor spirits.
A Clockwork Lime
Ok, so I'm looking at a concept character that is an European Wujen (so he doesn't call himself Wujen, but something else - big deal).

I've done that very thing before. Designed the character as practicing a Celtic form of magic with the elemental spirits being faerie spirits instead.

An aspected conjurer does, yes, but not one aspected to a specific element.

Summoning a manitou is probably the easiest within a city; all you really need to do is find a nice park. Hell's Kitchen is a good place to summon just about any other type short of an undine, though. But overall, a wujen has their best chance of summoning spirits of man (obviously).

It's highly recommended that you snag Invoking as soon as possible when playing a Wujen, though. Spirits of the elements are pretty useless without it unless you can regularly lure your opponents within range of their extremely limited domains.

Nope.

Nope. I let them do that without a metamagic technique. It just requires hiring a mentor or slotting a tutor chip to teach them the skill with the conjurer investing the Karma for the spirit instead of themselves. (And yes, that's a house rule.) Both have to spend time "learning" the skill that way, which is why modifying the formula and incorporating a skill the conjurer already knows in a Ritual of Change is preferred; it's faster.
kuroko

An aspected conjurer does, yes, but not one aspected to a specific element.

So if I take a Wood aspected Wujen, he's limited to health spells and manitous? Man, why bother then?

It's highly recommended that you snag Invoking as soon as possible when playing a Wujen, though.  Spirits of the elements are pretty useless without it unless you can regularly lure your opponents within range of their extremely limited domains.

Yeah, but in MitS it mentions for the elemental spirit domains you just need line of sight. You can't summon any other types of spirits without that one going away though.

Nope.  I let them do that without a metamagic technique.  It just requires hiring a mentor or slotting a tutor chip to teach them the skill with the conjurer investing the Karma for the spirit instead of themselves.  (And yes, that's a house rule.)  Both have to spend time "learning" the skill that way, which is why modifying the formula and incorporating a skill the conjurer already knows in a Ritual of Change is preferred; it's faster.

I was hoping to see this answer. So if I convinced a Black Belt to teach my spirit unarmed, I have to put up the karma for it, but no ritual of change?

Also, what about Masking? Can I mask my ally? Can I get a free spirit to teach it masking?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012