Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resources for Playing SR4 Online In Real Time
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SleepIncarnate
Does anyone know of somewhere that is better suited for running SR4 than Roll20 for an online play that is done in real time rather than PBP? The various members of my crew for the game I'm going to be running are all in various states. However, Roll20 is set up for SR5 rules, not SR4, which we will be using.

On a related note, does anyone know of any good programs I could use for crafting maps? I've been trying to use Dungeon Painter Studio, but their selection of modern/cyberpunk resources leaves a lot to be desired. I can't even make a proper Stuffer Shack with what I've been able to find there, unless I wanted to try and make it using Pokemon graphical resources. And believe me, I thought about it for the humor value, but even those are lacking things (like something for the front counter, or shelves).
bannockburn
Personally, I'm using IRC and a custom dice roller bot a friend programmed. A free one is available here, and it also has Edge rerolling.
IRC doesn't have map capabilities, but you can easily upload those to roll20 and use that.
As for creation of maps, we're in luck. We can just use existing building plans. As for graphical resources, I'm afraid I can only tell you that I have experience in Photoshop so never really tried with asset managers like you mentioned. One thing I will mention is that the Shadowrun Returns editor is pretty great for 3D images.

Here's an example: https://www.deviantart.com/dirkloechel/art/...s-Apt-390312195
SleepIncarnate
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Aug 20 2019, 02:00 PM) *
Personally, I'm using IRC and a custom dice roller bot a friend programmed. A free one is available here, and it also has Edge rerolling.
IRC doesn't have map capabilities, but you can easily upload those to roll20 and use that.
As for creation of maps, we're in luck. We can just use existing building plans. As for graphical resources, I'm afraid I can only tell you that I have experience in Photoshop so never really tried with asset managers like you mentioned. One thing I will mention is that the Shadowrun Returns editor is pretty great for 3D images.

Here's an example: https://www.deviantart.com/dirkloechel/art/...s-Apt-390312195

Yeah, that editor is one I was looking at, if I can figure out how to use it. More importantly, where to find the resources used by the various Food Fight/Stuffer Shack one shots that have been created for SRR and Dragonfall. I've tried it, but need to learn it a bit more in-depth.

It's definitely the best alternative I've found so far to DPS. DPS could be useful though for runs where the characters get a copy of the floor plans, as I do have a function with it that works for the more traditional style paper maps, even if it does have a more fantasy bent with furniture and objects within.

Sounds like Roll20 is still our best bet though for letting them see the map and have their tokens able to be moved. Right now, for a D&D campaign we do run by one of the others, we use Discord for voice, and Roll20 for everything else, including dice rolls. I may have to create custom sheets or do some front loading work to set it up with SR4 mechanics.
tete
Do you need the grid? Cus if not Discord with Exploding Dice works great! I also personally perfer Sidekick because you have more dice options

for example sidekick oWOD (Target number 6, 10s explode, 1s remove successes)
/r 8d10!>=6f1
8d10!>=6f1 = (9 4 1 7 8 6 1 10 9, 4 successes) = 4
Iduno
I've heard good things about using Discord for this.

When I had a player move away, we just used Skype or similar, and rolled dice on camera.

Roll20 seems like it would be better if they didn't try to create their own special RNG, because every game I've seen on there has the same number result rolled repeatedly. Then they defend it like a Deterministic Number Generator is the best thing for the game instead of admitting they made a mistake. It's like if Catalyst tried to create an RNG, except the rest of Roll20 doesn't appear to be garbage.
SleepIncarnate
For our D&D sessions, we use Roll20 more for the maps than the rolls. We use Discord for our voice bits. Everyone has their own choice of what to use for dice rolling, though I use the D&D roller from the WotC website (if I remember right). None of us truly trusts the Roll20 roller.

My biggest issue with using Roll20 for SR4 is that they don't even have sheets in the system for it, just for SR5, and I don't want my newer players trying to deal with BS stuff like limits, or getting confused over the different Matrix attribute names.
nylanfs
Fantasy Grounds has a community ruleset for 4e. One is being worked on for 5e and 6e Also I believe.
hermit
Discord seems the most common platform these days, it offers voice as well as text chat, and has integratable dice bot plug-ins. I personally use both discord, irc and occasionally skype.

You don't really need the editor, though, you can just piece together maps from what the SRR uses for textures via Photoshop or Gimp. With some proficientcy, you can even modify the tiles a bit to customize, i.e. add a puddle of blood, custom graffiti for your homebrew gangg, and such things.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012