Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: Behind the Crown
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
pbangarth
Yeah, but in my experience, the first shot is often the only shot.
ntwi
This post is a long time in coming. I had seen pbangrath's comment elsewhere about a SR3 PbP starting up. I still had to sort out how reliably I could post here across the mid and long term with the vagaries of the real life job, but it's looking promising at this point. Finally, it just takes some time to undo lurker mode after a few years. My IC posts will probably be a little rough as it's been a few years for a PbP, but I can finish up the Rigger/Electronics guy I had started building for my in person game (before shifting to a Troll Adept Face).

A couple of questions as I'm working to finish him up.
Books: You had stated "main book, and the companion, with limited excursions to the Grimoire as appropriate." If we are running 3rd which of the following are in play: Man and Machine, Rigger 3 Revised, Matrix, Canon Companion

Cyberware: Man and Machine or just the core book?
Bioware: Can I start with Cultured Bioware that is completely legal (and probably supported by the corp)? I.E. Sleep Regulator and Cerebral Booster? Is Man and Machine even allowed?
Vehicles and Rigging: I'm presuming Rigger 3 Revised is the guide book here.
Decking: Are you planning on running this straight out of the book or fewer more generic Computer(Decking) rolls? The Cyberdeck starts getting expensive fast if I need to build a solid one, and the "required" headware (Math SPU etc) will hurt too. Alternatively, our exit plan from the corp might have to include acquiring one. How much programming of my own programs vs buying them could be done before we start?
Contacts: I can't remember what book came from, (NSCRG doesn't tell me which one) but can we purchase additional contacts at chargen? 5k per lvl 1, 20k for a lvl 2? Do you want these fleshed out or left as (Lvl 1 Bartender or Lvl 2 Lone Star Dispatcher) so that you can fit them into your universe more easily?

Location: I saw a mention of Seattle in your first post, is that the planned location for the satellite office or where are we based?
Time: 2060? (My in person game just started in the early 2050's so some of the people can experience the classics for the first time. It's been a fun challenge to keep straight what the character knows and when he doesn't know to wear the brown trousers. (United Brotherhood? Sounds like a friendly group of people)

Sorry for the massive list of questions, but Carlos (Sparky) should be coming forth shortly, or at least a rough draft of him.
Koekepan
Welcome to the party, ntwi! It won't hurt after you get used to the needles.

I was trying to keep the book madness to a reasonably dull roar at first, but I don't intend to be hopelessly strict about it, so I'll tell you what: tell me which bits you want, and we can negotiate (as per your post here).

I'd be OK with sleep regulator and cerebral booster. Others on a per-case basis.

I'm fine with Rigger 3 in terms of rules and options, but I'd reserve the right of veto on particular items, or at least modifying costs, even if I allow particular items (which might push them outside your desirability range - ca va sans dire).

Decking: yeah, it's always expensive in third. My intention is to run by the rules as written, but find opportunities to condense rolls without modifying the system too horribly. Yes, decks are expensive (which is why I was proposing a cyberterminal for a potential solo campaign to pbangarth), but I can offer you a way out on the headware, if you'd rather shell out for 'trode net. If you think that you can rip off the corp on the way out, that's fine too (and not insane - but not a guarantee either; you'll have to keep your eyes open and hands grabby). I can be pretty forgiving about programming vs buying, depending on background and skills.

Contacts: yes, additional contacts are fine. I prefer to do the fleshing out of contacts.

As per my post above, you're in the Seattle enclave, but the actual office is in the southeast corner of the Enclave. A landmark that I gave was Tumwater, which you can look up on Wikipedia.

Time: 2060, as posted. Don't take the standard timeline as gospel, from this point out.
pbangarth
Awesome! I had contacted another person re: the rigger/decker, but haven't heard back. Glad to see someone on board, ntwi! This takes a load off my mind.
pbangarth
ntwi, wait'll you see Connor's pathetic attempt at decking. You will cringe! Lots of opportunity for in-game ribbing.
Koekepan
Yup, one magician and one techie makes for a much more viable party already. It isn't a campaign that will require you to take on the CAS army or wreck a city, so while there's nothing wrong with a carbine, you shouldn't feel underpowered just because you don't happen to have a Panther-equipped troll around. Just be prepared to think creatively about your problems.

Of course, if someone from TrogDestruct shows up, that's always still an option (provided it's corporate-friendly enough for the campaign).
pbangarth
Redone Connor Tupalev in post #18.

Be afraid! biggrin.gif
ntwi
Yes, messaging the security decker and asking politely for root access is a method of decking... Not a recommended one but it is a method.
pbangarth
biggrin.gif
Koekepan
pbangarth: A couple of things cropped up in my first pass. (I didn't do the math yet.)

Mostly pretty good, but you went bananas on Will. Given he starts out with boosted Will anyway, what's the logic behind the additional sustaining focus on the increase attribute?

Bear in mind that it's not guaranteed that the spell gets you 4 points up of Will; it gets you up to the spell's force in additional points, with a target number of the prior value (which in your case would be 8 ).

I'll allow the boosting of willpower (what the hell, everybody has some gimmick) but I don't think that spell and that focus make sense, especially given the mathematics involved.

However, if you're bound and determined to roll for it and keep it around, I might not stop you. Just roll my eyes a lot.

It also looks as if you left a contact out, or something? There's a blank Level 1 contact.

Finally, you might be able to pull back on the cyberterminal and so on, if ntwi will be taking on that side of things. You could then maybe work the security/infiltration angle a bit more, perhaps? Not demanding, just thinking out loud based on the recommended skill profile for the party.
pbangarth
Yeah, Connor's cyber skills are negligible, so if a real decker shows up, I'll be happy to rejig that part.

As for the WIL, yeah there is no guarantee on any roll, but I am sleazing in that before the campaign starts, and in any rest period in between runs, he can try and retry till he hits the sweet spot. At any point in the campaign, it would be somewhere in between 8 and 12.

WIL is useful for all pools he has, is necessary for Drain resistance, and resistance to a lot of what opposing Magic might try. And Willpower is Connor's schtick. Nietzche and all that.

And, come on! Have you -ever- seen a PC with a WIL of 12? I haven't. I know other aspects of this PC are a bit light. Since 1st edition I have never played WIL 12. I'd like to give it a shot.

Yeah, I forgot to think up the other Contact. I'll get on that.
Koekepan
Your impassioned plea has touched my tormented heart.

I'll let you roll for your WIL boost, and suck up the drain every time. If only because, while admittedly it usually wouldn't be a big deal, when it does fail on you, it might count. By my math, at force 4, that's a 3 target number and drain M. You'd need 4 successes to reduce the drain to nothing, which you'd probably usually get ... until you don't, and then you get a pre-emptive headache! And of course, retrying adds up the odds of a failure.

This might be amusing. OK, I'll allow it. And I'll let you and ntwi arm-wrestle for the ineluctable privilege of being the team decker. Whacking him with a cyberterminal first is cheating.

Edited to add: Wait, just noticed it's also exclusive, but you can't reduce the target number below 2, so while the odds are better, it's still risky. All you have to do is be lucky every time.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jun 7 2020, 12:38 AM) *
Your impassioned plea has touched my tormented heart.

I'll let you roll for your WIL boost, and suck up the drain every time. If only because, while admittedly it usually wouldn't be a big deal, when it does fail on you, it might count. By my math, at force 4, that's a 3 target number and drain M. You'd need 4 successes to reduce the drain to nothing, which you'd probably usually get ... until you don't, and then you get a pre-emptive headache! And of course, retrying adds up the odds of a failure.

This might be amusing. OK, I'll allow it. And I'll let you and ntwi arm-wrestle for the ineluctable privilege of being the team decker. Whacking him with a cyberterminal first is cheating.

Oh, yeah, I don't expect him to have WIL 12 all the time. Especially since the target for the spell is 8 to begin with! I'm not going to keep retrying in the middle of a run. But anything at 8 or over is good. Retrying till the sweet spot is attained is only for off/in-between times. So, in an off-time, he would cast the spell and dump all his spell pool into the casting, knowing he will have time to sleep it off. That would be 11 dice which might get him two successes, then use the karma pool for 9 dice more, maybe one more, two if lucky. If not, try again tomorrow. During a run, he will need spell pool to help Drain, so if something causes the spell to drop, he is not likely to get up there again till the next run. But, oh, until it drops!

And hey, if opponent X wants to dispel the sustained boost, that means she is not shooting at Connor. Connor won't be idle while that happens. It's like the dog the police officer sends ahead to grab the gunman's arm. A primary reason for the dog is to take the bullet for the cop.

Arm wrestle? Have you seen his strength? Oh. Wait. A rigger might be just as much a wimp. No, it's OK, it's all yours ntwi, if you want it.

As an aside, in college I had a buddy who was ... strong. There was a 'fun day' in one of the cafeterias, games of all sorts including an arm wrestling competition. Plywood over two hobby horses made the table. In his first match, my buddy put the other guy's arm down so hard, it broke the table. Yeah, my friend won the competition.

Edited to add: Wait, just noticed it's also exclusive, but you can't reduce the target number below 2, so while the odds are better, it's still risky. All you have to do is be lucky every time.

It's exclusive for karma/build points, not Drain, so the target is still 3. Remember, though, he can cast it at a lower Force (eg. 3) in the thick of things if he wants to reduce Drain. If he wants to. It's Willpower, not Wisdom.

Hmmm. Should we happen to end up in the shadows, biggrin.gif , I'm going to have to think up a street name for Connor.
Koekepan
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 7 2020, 05:17 PM) *
Hmmm. Should we happen to end up in the shadows, biggrin.gif , I'm going to have to think up a street name for Connor.

A Nietzsche fan like him? How could it be anything other than Friedrich?

It's funnier if you know the derivation of the name.
pbangarth
Yeah, if I had chosen the Pacifist Flaw (really?? A -flaw-?? Fucking game.) it would be perfect.

Aelfric is, unfortunately, "elf ruler".

"Dweorgric" would fit, but who the hell would be able to pronounce it? Well, maybe some of those Fenris freaks, maybe.
Koekepan
Conner "Superman" ... it seems to fit.
ntwi
Time to put the bones on here at least, still working through the nuyen and numbers on the details.

The basic concept: Carlos "Ein Mas" was far too smart for his own good, cruising through school without much effort. He rode a E-Sport scholarship to school but the higher level of attention quickly found the scholarship pulled as his cheats were not slick enough to pass the higher level of scrutiny. Bouncing back to tech school, he found himself distracted by many topics, becoming passable at them before loosing interest and chasing another shiny field. He found a love for street racing, datajack driving early on before diving into the world of rigging. Escaping into the Matrix and his heavily modded 3220 allow him to escape from the reality of rigging forklifts each day at the warehouse. He's slowly built up his collection of drones over time, upgrading the Condor heavily to record the street racing and avoiding the cops after the races.

The crunchy stuff
[ Spoiler ]
Koekepan
QUOTE (ntwi @ Jun 8 2020, 09:44 AM) *
Using the Sum to 10 method, my preferred when creating mundane humans.

No problem

Attributes (Including Bio mods)
Bod: 4
Str: 3
Qck: 7
Int: 9
Cha: 2
Wil: 5
Reaction: 10
Combat Pool: 10
Control Pool: 12
Hacking Pool: 8

You know, some people might think that I'd balk at this, but then I think of a couple of guys I knew, who were definitely geniuses. One worked as a mechanic, another as a regular, run-of-the-mill programmer. Either could have been a college professor - they just didn't think that it was better than the job that they had. So sure, combination of crazy high augmented intelligence and impulsive flaw? I'm OK with this. It's also consistent with having a stock of skillsofts.

I didn't do the math on his current essence level. Given the half cost of the lesser option, I'm eyeballing it that he's still alive, but only barely. Is that your calculation as well?

Contacts:
1. Security Decker
2. Data Haven
3. Rigger
4. Go-Ganger
5. Bartender
6. Corp Scientist
7. Street Doc
8. Neo-A Trid Pirate
9. Mafia Soldier
10. Ork Nation Organizer
11. Lone Star Dispatcher
12. Club Owner
13. Shark Lawyer
14. Gunsmith
15. ID Manufacturer
16. Talent Scout
17. Dock Worker
18. Taxi Driver
19. Technician
20. Troll Street Sam
Free1. Fixer
Free2. Electronics Shop

I like it. Someone who doesn't skimp on contacts. When you have your final list (whether it's this list or different) I'll flesh them out for you.

One more question, would I be using Stealth to get away from an illegal street race when the cops crash it without drawing attention? There's not a "vehicle" specialization but it seemed reasonable, otherwise there is no reason for him to be that stealthy. Thoughts, opinions and "what are you smoking" are all welcome.

There are multiple ways of getting out of the net. Stealth is one option, and I'm fine with it as a tool in his kit. It'll be everything from knowing when to duck off a highway to slide under an overpass, changing the paint hue while slipping under trees in a leafy suburb, tagging along with a funeral procession, dodging behind a big rig - all that stuff counts as stealth when you're the size of a car.

Of course, mounting rockets on a Condor could also do something about it ... not that I'm suggesting anything.
pbangarth
Yes, I'm very glad for your long list of contacts, ntwi. In rejigging Connor to be on his own, I sacrificed in that essential area among others.

And from the lengthening list of background characters in the OOC thread, I can see Koekepan is -really- into that aspect of the game.
Koekepan
If you're running in gangland, and there isn't intrigue? Someone's doing something wrong.

Ditto, the business world.

It's all incestuous circles. And in that context, who would be surprised at vicious ratfight tactics? Nobody fights like family.
Koekepan
Once your character is sorted out, it's good form to do the 20 questions thing about your character's person and history.
ntwi
I'm still working through the questions to flesh out his personality, and transcribing from random notebooks onto the computer. With regards to his essence, 3rd edition had a separate Bio-Index with a maximum of your remaining essence + 3, along with initially a very clunky separate system for Magic loss. The errata I am familiar with changed the magic loss to simply 1/2 of the Bio-Index but left it alone for mundane characters (slower healing and lowered toxin/disease resistance based on the amount of bioware).

If that's not the case I'll need to rejigger him, as he'd be dead. (or chip loose 60k somewhere and try to get the VCR 2 to alphaware to save 0.6 essence)
pbangarth
Happy to do the 20 questions.

Here's one for you, Koekepan. I am suffering under the proactive interference of SR4. I can't find in the SR3 book whether shamans can have in active service more than one nature spirit at a time. Can they?

I know a shaman in an environment of multiple domains, a shaman could summon a spirit in one, assign it services, then refocus to another domain and summon another spirit. But could he summon two air spirits to work for him (one summoning after the other, of course) and be on call?
Koekepan
QUOTE (ntwi @ Jun 9 2020, 05:17 PM) *
I'm still working through the questions to flesh out his personality, and transcribing from random notebooks onto the computer. With regards to his essence, 3rd edition had a separate Bio-Index with a maximum of your remaining essence + 3, along with initially a very clunky separate system for Magic loss. The errata I am familiar with changed the magic loss to simply 1/2 of the Bio-Index but left it alone for mundane characters (slower healing and lowered toxin/disease resistance based on the amount of bioware).

If that's not the case I'll need to rejigger him, as he'd be dead. (or chip loose 60k somewhere and try to get the VCR 2 to alphaware to save 0.6 essence)

You're right - I confused magic loss with the bio-index. It's OK, keep on trucking.
Koekepan
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 9 2020, 06:13 PM) *
Happy to do the 20 questions.

Here's one for you, Koekepan. I am suffering under the proactive interference of SR4. I can't find in the SR3 book whether shamans can have in active service more than one nature spirit at a time. Can they?

I know a shaman in an environment of multiple domains, a shaman could summon a spirit in one, assign it services, then refocus to another domain and summon another spirit. But could he summon two air spirits to work for him (one summoning after the other, of course) and be on call?

I take the answer as an interpretation of the right-hand column, page 184, the fourth and fifth paragraphs.

You choose a domain relevant to where you are, and summon a spirit. So far, so groovy. If you leave that domain to summon a different spirit of a different domain, within the same location, the first spirit completes its already requested services and goes away. You can only summon one spirit in a given domain.

Thus: if you summoned one spirit, it goes poof when you summon the next. If you summon a spirit and change domains, it goes poof. Thus spake the RAW.

pbangarth
OK. Thanks.
Koekepan
Just dropping a note to say, once you have your characters fleshed out and equipped, I can get them blessed, and we can soft start. As you've doubtless seen, I've kicked off with an opening post on the environment.
Koekepan
OK, folks, tomorrow's the day we soft start.

a) if you aren't horribly opposed to the idea, can I see 20 questions posts about your characters?

b) are your characters, in your view, final? In particular, ntwi, are your contacts all level 1? If so, I'll flesh them out soon.

c) anyone else planning to join, to your knowledge? I'm frosty with just the two of you, but let me know if you hear different

If a is done, b is settled, I can bless your characters and we can leap in with a collective merry cry. Or one merry cry and two shrieks of despairing horror.
pbangarth
20 min. to 10 am here. Going for a 'distance picnic' with family. Back late afternoon. Will finish Connor this evening, including 20 questions. Will report when ready.

No new fish have taken my bait, so it looks like there's the two of us. Plus whatever hordes of drones/spirits we can muster.

Horror? We're in an experimental bio-tech facility? Nothing can go wrong here. Totally safe. No Horror here. Nope.

Wait a minute. Horror? Horrors? No. Just no.
ntwi
In my 20Q with Carlos' perspective on magic, I did mention how even those shamans whose magic follows bizarro rules still pay a cost for their magic while these bio vats don't seem to have a cost paid...
Koekepan
QUOTE (ntwi @ Jun 12 2020, 08:29 PM) *
In my 20Q with Carlos' perspective on magic, I did mention how even those shamans whose magic follows bizarro rules still pay a cost for their magic while these bio vats don't seem to have a cost paid...

The magicians would vehemently disagree with you - as would the accountants - but it's a perfectly valid position for Carlos.

By the way, did you post your updates? Am I missing them, or are you still in process?
ntwi
Still working through some of them. I haven't posted anything yet.
Koekepan
QUOTE (ntwi @ Jun 12 2020, 10:51 PM) *
Still working through some of them. I haven't posted anything yet.

Cool, I'm just tracking.

I'll be ready when you are, just post it up and you can watch the OOC topic for the fleshed-out versions of your contacts.
pbangarth
Connor edit done. See post #18.
pbangarth
The middle of the week means that both ends of the 4/10 shift are in the office.

Not quite sure what this means. Could you explain, please?
Koekepan
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 13 2020, 01:37 AM) *
Not quite sure what this means. Could you explain, please?

I'll drop the explanation in the OOC thread soon. Question noted.

I bless the sheet, and I will drop more information on the contacts in the OOC room.
pbangarth
Thanks for the Contact descriptions. I love'em. I can see there will be a rich environment in which to role play. Assuming we survive the Resident Evil scenario you are setting up for the -entire- staff of Biozu. biggrin.gif
Koekepan
ntwi, Carlos is blessed. I'll fill in his contacts as time permits, but you're clear for soft start.
Foxx
It's been a long time since I last graced this board, but I am interested in playing. I'm still debating rather play a Covert Spec or a Street Sam/Merc. I've read through the story so far adjust my ideas to whats going on.
Foxx
So I decided to go with muscle of the wild west variety. Still have things to buy, but I think stats and backstory are mostly complete. Subject to review of course.

[ Spoiler ]
Koekepan
Quick first mention: There's definitely room in the party, I'll check out what you offered, and lend my thoughts.
Koekepan
OK, a couple of comments.

These are fairly high level, and everything's up for negotiation, but as it stands I have a few gripes with V 0.9 of the character, so let's take it from the top.

First, I may be looking at this squiggle-eyed, but I don't see how you get those unaugmented stats on priority B for attribute. At 27 points for priority B, human, they should average 3.5, and they're not there. Am I missing something?

Second, anyone in force recon (or even just old-school field intelligence roles) would have a wide skillset way beyond the relatively narrow break-stuff-and-kill-people focus that she has. Not that breaking stuff and killing people isn't in the list, of course, but anyone whose job involves getting dropped in an anonymous shithole a million miles from nowhere and surrounded by psychopathic clowns will need a lot more. Survival. Vehicle skills. Communications tech skills. Emergency medical skills. I see you have stealth and athletics, but what about demolition or military engineering? How about riding, given the cowboy and rural background? Or at least hot skills on motorcycle and ATV courses. How about parachuting or related skills like light airframes? How about field cooking so that she can turn that baboon she shot into something that will keep her and her team on their feet until their backup arrives? As a real country girl, can she at least field dress a kill and have a hide worth saving? For that matter, at least basic animal management, or even foundational animal husbandry skills so that she can get along with natives and handle pack animals on a trail? How are her river rafting and lake sailing skills? I could go on, but I think that you take my point. Self-sufficiency in bad places requires a lot of flexibility, and I'd rather see a wide range of skills rather than a maxed-out few.

I'll go with corporate etiquette specialisation, given the background as given, but no mention is made of how or why she would have (or tolerate) mysterious cyberware without at least getting a cyberdoc to check it out.

I won't quibble too hard about the pineapple bush. We can handwave that in.

As a faith-holding baptist, how does she like magic, magicians and everything around that field?

What I would do in your position (this is not a mandate, and not necessarily to be considered as guidance, but should perhaps be considered):

I would keep a lot of the military background, the ugly history with Stiles and so on; that works. But I would take a closer look at what she'd actually have done, and learned in the military, and see where the character spreads a bit in concept. Is she capable of some decking? Maybe - special forces often need someone who at least has the chops to do a thing to some electronics. Not necessarily, of course; that probably was someone else's job. Alternatively, maybe she has more intel-related skills. Is she good at the sneak-and-peek work? Listening in, planting bugs, rapidly analysing and summarising tactically and strategically relevant data for the brass? Does she know how to break trails and confuse pursuit? Is she really, really good at booby traps, ambushes and assorted dirty tricks?

Hope this helps.
Foxx
Alrighty, I'll take your suggestions to heart and make changes. On the attributes I was using the template in the book (since its been years since I made a character) and found it was four points short. I checked it again and found it one point higher than 27. Unless I'm counting it wrong, all stats start with a 1 in them, correct?
Koekepan
QUOTE (Foxx @ Jul 9 2020, 04:56 AM) *
Alrighty, I'll take your suggestions to heart and make changes. On the attributes I was using the template in the book (since its been years since I made a character) and found it was four points short. I checked it again and found it one point higher than 27. Unless I'm counting it wrong, all stats start with a 1 in them, correct?

Ah! That's the problem!

I'm afraid that you're wrong. Check the example on page 56, 3rd Ed book. You don't get to add 1 first. For 6 attributes, total 27, human, you don't get to add another 6 on top for an average of 5.5. Think about it, if you chose attributes A that way, everything would pretty much have to be a 6 ...

Foxx
OKay, thats where I messed up then. I'll get that straighten out rework my skills to be a little more diverse.
Koekepan
OK, I like this reworked version a lot better so far.

When you're confident that you have it tidied up and equipped to your satisfaction, throw a flag and I'll take a look at the release candidate version.

I'll also run some parallel activities for Heather before the team combines, so the timeline on this is flexible.
Koekepan
Foxx: Approved. I will post on your contacts (there will be some overlap with others, but obviously not full overlap) and then also start making IC posts directed at you.
pbangarth
Welcome aboard, Foxx! And thanks for giving us someone to run and hide behind when things get scary.
pbangarth
Yo!

Runners out there. YO!

Corporate scumbag maneuvers have stripped my PC, Connor, of an awesome running mate. Connor needs help!

Come on. The story telling is awesome, and the title promises deep intrigue and world-class payoffs.

Get off the couch, people. What else do you have to do?

Risk your lives and get rich. Live fast and die hard.

Otherwise ... what's the point?

(Cross posted to Runners looking for a Johnson and Cast of Shadows)
Foxx
I'm dealing with a naked orc. I"m doing my part, sadly. nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012