Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need a very pretty gun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JaronK
Alright. Since I'm playing around with a lil' cat shaman, I need to consider purchases mostly on style. So... I need a nice pistol for him. Something stylish, maybe pearl handled... effectiveness isn't really the main thing, though it should be a quality gun, the sort of thing where people might look at it and say "hey, that's a nice gun!"

Any idea about what sort of pistol I should be getting for him, and what the appropriate shadowrun rules for it would be? It should be able to be easily concealable in a nice European handbag (this character is a heck of a lot of fun to make, by the way... using a personal mirror as a fetish).

JaronK
Smiley
Custom make it at character creation. Then you can make it whatever you want. Or, if it's too late, buy one off the shelf then pay to have it finished. You can get something nickel-plated then filigree it or dikote it or coat it in orichalcum or something. THAT would raise some eyebrows.
Phaeton
Either that, or the Walther PB-120. Or the Morissery Elite.
Kagetenshi
Morrissey Élan, Tiffani Needler, Tiffani Self-Defender, Hammerli Model 610S, and Morrissey Alta all specifically note their stylishness.

~J
JaronK
Well, he is a shaman... an orichalcum coated pistol would make one heck of an interesting gun, and would double as a nice focus too... hmm. I'll look in to those brandnames though. That's the main thing I was looking for, a brandname pistol that would be the Delorian of the pistol world, as it were.

JaronK
Fresno Bob
Make sure you chrome it. A chrome beretta would be pretty snazzy.
RangerJoe
When it comes to style, nothing says "panash" quite like a Big Frickin' Gun. I even like the color....

Conversely, you may want more style..

Nothing says classy like a revolver. Face it, even the snazziest Walther just says "I ain't shooting' long rifle," if you know what I mean.
Austere Emancipator
And if cost = style, there's the Korth revolvers. The Anno Domini deluxe with a deeply engraved acorn motif and high polish gold plasma finish has a suggested retail price of $11,000, and most of the price still comes from quality instead of decoration.
Phaeton
And if your idea of style is a weapon that will kill anything short of a tank...

http://matrix.dumpshock.com/raygun/firearm...tol/sw_500.html cyber.gif

A bit big. But nice, shiny, and more than a little lethal, at least. biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
The Mexican

This one looks pretty.

I would almost go with something like a gun cane though. Stylish and retractable...
TinkerGnome
On a game note, the Savalette Guardian is kind of nice looking, from the picture in FoF. It's normally chrome, but I think it'd make a pretty damn attractive gun if you did the blue steel effect and a dark grip. Then do an etching of some sort on the sides to finish off the effect.

Of course, it might also look like crap, hard to tell from imagination wink.gif
Raygun
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
And if cost = style, there's the Korth revolvers. The Anno Domini deluxe with a deeply engraved acorn motif and high polish gold plasma finish has a suggested retail price of $11,000, and most of the price still comes from quality instead of decoration.

Korth - "When you're just too stupid to pay less."
JaronK
Hmm... considering this is a cat shaman, I think I'll have to go with the Plasma Coated Korth Semiautomatic, with a Personalized grip. I don't have the Cannon Compendium so I don't have much to work with, but I guess I'll use the rules for a Browning Max-Power, but of course a good bit more costly, and with the -1 recoil for the grip.

Then, if I get hurt in combat, I'm thinking the Smith and Wesson Model 500 as the "no more play time" weapon, with personalized grip, and maybe a little gold plating.

Ahhhh... this character is such a break from the ones I'm used too... they're all far too much about efficiency!

JaronK
A Clockwork Lime
Purchase any gun that suits your fancy, name it whatever you like, then pay for a Custom Finish and Engraving/Embossing (ie, increase its costs by 200 nuyen). There's your very pretty gun.
Domino
What he said.

I have a mage whose image is everything and he only has a pair of silver plated Manhunters.
Siege
Colt Manhunters, 425 nuyen.gif
Chrome finish, 125 nuyen.gif
Can of expensive polish, 25 nuyen.gif

Getting your ass wasted because you made a grand entrance on a shadowrun, priceless. grinbig.gif

Although to be perfectly fair, in any other circumstance, the GM should offer a -1 bonus to appropriate social interactions in which a character who has put that much effort into their appearance can show it off properly.

-Siege
Centurion
Or a +1 penalty to any situations in which a character who has put that much effort into their appearence is seen as a total fop. "Only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would carry a pearl-handled
pistol." etc.
Entropy Kid
"Only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would carry a pearl-handled pistol."
That's why you get ivory...
What you said should probably be taken into account, but the Etiquette skill an or knowledge (skill) about the group should deal with that. A character with the right skills would know not to let the mercenaries see the customized Sig 210, but that others would get a kick out it.
Austere Emancipator
Well, the SIG P210 is well known for it's reliability and accuracy, has been adopted by the Swiss and Danish militaries (although it was replaced by the P220 in Switzerland in 75) and several agencies especially in Europe. It's one of those pistols that may well still be around in 60 years. More than anything else, it would provoke envy in the mercenaries, because of the hefty price tag.

Unless, of course, you customize it to a nice neon green/red motif with furry grips.
Siege
It takes either a creative GM or a creative player to suggest any of the above --

Player: "Hey GM, I have wardrobe/fashion as a knowledge skill. Could I make...say...Bluff roll to make an 'entrance' and use wardrobe/fashion as a comp bonus because of my stunning outfit?"

GM: "I'm sorry, in a biker bar?"

Player: "Oh, wait...I have wardrobe/fashion (gangs) as a specialization."

GM: "Bull&%$^@*%! Lemme see that character sheet!"

-Siege
otomik
QUOTE (JaronK)
It should be able to be easily concealable in a nice European handbag (this character is a heck of a lot of fun to make, by the way... using a personal mirror as a fetish).

Taurus makes some pimpified versions of their guns and it sounds like your character could use a revolver so they don't have reliability problems with "limp wristing".
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-...tegory=Revolver
http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselec....cfm?series=SE2
http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselec....cfm?series=SE1
Drain Brain
You want a stylish shooter? Go here - gotta say, "Helena" is my personal favourite!
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Drain Brain @ May 22 2004, 10:28 AM)
You want a stylish shooter?  Go here - gotta say, "Helena" is my personal favourite!

that was... painful...

Edit: although, I must admit that theres something about Mathilde I rather like...
Diesel
http://www.poseidon.co.jp/2F/2f.html
http://www.poseidon.co.jp/3F/3f.html

Airsoft guns, yes, but nothing says yours can't shoot the real deal.
Xirces
Doing a bit of anthropomorphisation(?!? smile.gif ), I can't imagine any of my cats using something as clumsy as a revolver. Besides, they're loud.

Something more like a customised AVS might work, although that might be too deadly...

Whatever it is, needs to scream "Don't run, I can kill you whenever I want and you're only alive because you entertain me"
Arethusa
QUOTE (Diesel)
http://www.poseidon.co.jp/2F/2f.html
http://www.poseidon.co.jp/3F/3f.html

Airsoft guns, yes, but nothing says yours can't shoot the real deal.

Actually, Poseidon doesn't do airsoft. Those are non working models, some of which have built in provisions for allowing you to, say, cut down a Tokyo Marui Thompson and shove it inside (I beleive the Raisen Type 0 does this and was even briefly sold, fully assembled into a working airsoft weapon, by Wargamers' Club). Cool stuff, though.
JaronK
Ugh. That "Helen" thing was rediculus... I can't believe people actually do that. My Shaman (his name is Antonio Adriano Domencio Shadowpaw, a half Italian half Amerindian, by the way) is not tacky! I did, however, take Knowledge: Fasion and Knowledge: Feng Shui, though we'll see if there's any way I can work that in somehow. I was actually thinking about infiltrating an area by getting the head of the target facility to let me fix his office to make it more Feng Shui, then hide a dataline tap while arranging the place. It's so much easier to sneak in when they invite you in... plus, I could get paid by the head of the place, and by the Johnson who wants him taken down! More salmon for the shaman!

JaronK
Phaeton
QUOTE (Xirces)
Besides, they're loud.

...And? grinbig.gif

We're talking style here. Not subtlety. cyber.gif wink.gif
Xirces
QUOTE (Phaeton)
QUOTE (Xirces @ May 22 2004, 02:18 PM)
Besides, they're loud.

...And? grinbig.gif

We're talking style here. Not subtlety. cyber.gif wink.gif

Cats are only loud when they want to be (normally when they want feeding). When hunting the first thing the victim should know is that they're effectively dead and only alive because the hunter thinks it's fun (for a while)...

I'd still like a quiet stealthy gun - how about gel rounds and a silencer?
Kanada Ten
Or Hi-C in a Puzzler!
Archbishop

It's not a very good picture, but this is the gun that the Prince of Cats uses...

Gun.zip
Entropy Kid
Unless, of course, you customize it to a nice neon green/red motif with furry grips.
Like these? Yuck. Although being single action, only carrying eight 9x19mm rounds, and having the magazine release in an odd place make it a bit less of an effecient combat weapon when compared to others available. I know there are other models, but don't know anything about them.

@Arethusa, there were videos of those models operating, although I don't know if that counts as an airsoft.
Diesel
Arethusa: My bad, I don't read Japanese and that's what I was told. I just thought they looked neat. biggrin.gif
Firewall
You want a dart gun and rather than narcoject, you want something that hurts the opponent. Cat shamans like to play with their targets.

Actually, what about a local anaesthetic? Shoot them in the leg and watch them lose sensation and start to limp. That might fit in with 'cat' while still actually being somewhat useful. Paralyse the victim bit by bit until they cannot run any more. Then you can wander off, bored, and let the sam clean up the mess.

Alternatively, large doses of some kind of warfarin or heparin kinda drug. Small wound that just keeps bleeding...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012