Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why does Move-by-wire cause TLE-X?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ryu238
Looking at the Cybertechnology supplement for 2e, it gives a picture of the cyberware and where it attaches to the body on p. 39. It looks like it attaches to the hindbrain and, based on its description seems to work with/enhance the cerebellum which, among other things, is associated with regulation and coordination of movement, posture, and balance. So how does that effect the Temporal Lobe? Feedback?
Sengir
I would've been surprised if you hadn't found anything, the book was written by an MD, after all biggrin.gif
ryu238
Why the controled seizures to begin with? Feedback? I mean if it was just supercharging the brain to act faster then I would understand
Thanee
I think it keeps your nervous system under constant load, in order to have those faster reactions. That can't be healthy. biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
Sengir
QUOTE (ryu238 @ Jan 24 2021, 07:10 PM) *
Why the controled seizures to begin with? Feedback? I mean if it was just supercharging the brain to act faster then I would understand

Because it supposedly works analogously to a fly-by-wire system, which according to the authors (or at least the narrator)
Modern aircraft and some other kinds of vehicles (t-birds mostly) use what's known as fly-by-wire system. As I've heard it explained, he design of the aircraft is inherently unstable. It literally wants to fly in all directions at once. The fly-by-wire system keeps it under control by using a series of redundant computers that continually counteract the chaotic motion of the craft. This also means that when the craft is told to move in a specific direction, it already wants to do that, do so it is much more responsive and maneuverable.

Note that in reality, fly-by-wire systems are not just used on inherently unstable craft and the instability is more about making the aircraft responsive to anything wanting to alter its trajectory (wanted or unwanted).

PS: And I mixed up Cybertechnology with Shadowtech, the latter is the one written by Karl Wu.
ryu238
I think I got it: https://www.ssmhealth.com/neurosciences/stroke/brain-anatomy

"The cerebellum is located behind the brain stem. While the frontal lobe controls movement, the cerebellum “fine-tunes” this movement. This area of the brain is responsible for fine motor movement, balance, and the brain’s ability to determine limb position. A stroke in this area of the brain can lead to paralysis or “jerky” muscle movements."

From what I see MBW causes "seizures" by taking control of the Cerebellum but also having to do microcorrections as it receives data from the rest of the brain
psychophipps
Probably showing my age here, but I seem to recall that the main difference between fly-by-wire and older systems was the enormous reduction in weight and complexity of the aircraft because they no longer had to have a full-on hydraulic line and pump system running directly from each and every movement-based control in the cockpit to the actuators and engines further back in the aircraft. By putting the flight control systems in smaller areas of the aircraft they were able to lighten and dramatically increase the survivability of the aircraft barring a direct hit on the hydraulic system in question.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012