Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: questions about 2049
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Arax Dvorak
starting up a 2050 campaign, was looking at the wikia to make sure I had a handle on "recent events" from the pov of the start of the campaign -

https://shadowrun.fandom.com/wiki/2049

frustrated by the lack of sourcing for some of this and wondering if they are all actually canon, or just some rando put events from their campaign into the wikia?

in particular, does anyone recognize any of these events from actual published material?

• The Sons of Saurons policlub organizes an attack against Humanis policlub headquarters in Seattle, UCAS. 38 people are killed and hundreds wounded.
• "Eric's Ten-Minute War" between the Yakuza and Mafia kills 20 people, as part of a bloody year in Seattle, UCAS.
• Actress Meg Owen re-appears in a summer stock theater company on Prince Edward Island before disappearing for good.

Thanks!
Arax Dvorak
I was able to track down the 2049 Sons of Sauron attack to a shadowtalk on pg 38 of Loose Alliances (technically what they say is that Humanis attacked the Ork Underground in '49 and Sons of Sauron responded by bombing a building that had a Humanis office in it... I guess it's implied that the Sons of Sauron attack happened the same year, but the Humanis attack didn't get into the wikia page on 2049)

still trying to suss out the Meg Owen thing and the Mafia-Yakuza War... googling that just gets the Israel-Libya Ten Minute War in SR Lore
Iduno
It's a wiki so the quality checking is...imperfect as you notice. I'm guessing you'd have to find some 1st ed books to be sure. And Catalyst has driven away enough of the old players that you might have trouble finding people who were playing back then.
Tecumseh
There are plenty of us around. The trouble is that there's been a ocean of electrons that's been spilled to write Shadowrun lore and it's almost impossible to keep 30 years of it in your head.

Eric's Ten Minute War is from Seattle 2072, p. 100. This is from the section about Auburn:

Eric’s Italian Restaurant
Roosevelt Avenue
In the summer of ’49, this place was the site of “Eric’s Ten-Minute War,” a
somewhat botched hit attempt by the Yakuza against several Mafia lieutenants
in the district. When the smoke finally cleared, nearly two-dozen people
were dead, only a handful of them actually members of either syndicate, most
innocent diners and bystanders caught in the crossfire. Since then, the two
restaurants established on-site have both gone out of business due to odd
incidents. The last one had a major kitchen fire that closed the place for good
back in 2060. The building has been vacant since then, the developers unable to
lease or unload it. Rumor has it the experts they brought in told them the place
is haunted, but the price of clearing the ghost (or ghosts, the stories conflict) is
too high, so no one has bothered.
> FastJack

It's one particularly bad instance of violence in a larger conflict. In Seattle, the Mafia and Yakuza are at war from 2044 (when Hanzo Shotozumi becames oyabun in Seattle) until the events of Mob War in 2058.
Arax Dvorak
thanks... I see Eric's Ten Minute War appears in versions of the wikia page that predate the publication of Seattle 2072 in 2009, but don't see anything about Eric's Italian Restaurant in a quick scan of the Auburn sections of New Seattle, or the OG Seattle Sourcebook, maybe it's buried somewhere in Underworld Sourcebook or Mob War! or something and got a callback in Seattle 2072... but for my current purposes it's enough to know that it wasn't somebody inserting homebrew events from their own campaign into a communal wikia... and that it was just a blip in a background level of violence (e.g. already posted a NewsNet wrap up of the key events of 2049 as flavor for my PCs in a campaign that will start in January 2050, not gonna sweat that I left this event out)

the Meg Owens thing is still got me scratching my head... every page reference on the wikia page for Prince Edward Island, I dug up the sourcebook and checked, and it was invariably something about the Children of the Dragon cult compound with no mention of a Meg Owens... there are other sourcebooks that are cited without page numbers - Dirty Tricks, Portfolio of a Dragon, Seattle 2072, Underworld Sourcebook that I'm not going to read the entire thing just to find an answer to this one nitpicky question...

the novel The Forever Drug was cited as involving PEI, and the plot synopsis mentioned a amnesiac woman and I'm like, cool, that's it, she forgot that she was Meg Owens... but I did a search for "Meg" in every chapter of the ePub file, and the only hits were occurrences of words like megolodon and megacorp ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Arax Dvorak
the bit about Meg Owens appears in the oldest accessible version of the page, dating back to 2005, which only narrows it down to all of 1E, 2E or 3E...
Lionesque
There's a chance that you can find the references in the official novels - have you read any of those? Some of the earlier ones are quite fun, although I wouldn't call the writing all that artful. The one called Into the Shadows and the first book in the Secrets of Power-trilogy (Never Deal with a Dragon) would be a good place to start to get a grasp of the original setting. And maybe you'll stumble upon an answer there, who knows? (https://shadowrun.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Shadowrun_novels)
Arax Dvorak
QUOTE (Lionesque @ Apr 23 2021, 10:39 AM) *
There's a chance that you can find the references in the official novels - have you read any of those? Some of the earlier ones are quite fun, although I wouldn't call the writing all that artful. The one called Into the Shadows and the first book in the Secrets of Power-trilogy (Never Deal with a Dragon) would be a good place to start to get a grasp of the original setting. And maybe you'll stumble upon an answer there, who knows? (https://shadowrun.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Shadowrun_novels)

I've read Into the Shadows, the prologue to Never Deal With a Dragon and parts of Wolf and Raven so far, since they are what are set in 2050... plan to read the rest at a faster pace then the campaign chews through the in-universe calendar (and of the mindset that the timeline can diverge from canon, and everything post-FASA doesn't really exist)

liked Into the Shadows well enough, but frustrated with inconsistencies, like if you try to reconcile "Free Fall" with the news sheet handout at the back of Bottled Demon, which has the defection occur the previous year, e.g. 2049)... Wolf and Raven seems like it's own continuity, tbh, especially with respect to organize crime - Etienne La Plante appears nowhere else in SR lore and is like supposed to be Seattle's crime boss / the big bad in those stories?
Tecumseh
QUOTE (Arax Dvorak @ Apr 23 2021, 02:59 AM) *
the Meg Owens thing is still got me scratching my head... every page reference on the wikia page for Prince Edward Island, I dug up the sourcebook and checked, and it was invariably something about the Children of the Dragon cult compound with no mention of a Meg Owens... there are other sourcebooks that are cited without page numbers - Dirty Tricks, Portfolio of a Dragon, Seattle 2072, Underworld Sourcebook that I'm not going to read the entire thing just to find an answer to this one nitpicky question..

Ha! I did the same thing. And ended up at the same place.

I did go through Underworld Sourcebook and Mob War looking for Eric's 10-Minute War. I didn't see it there, although I'll be honest that I didn't comb through them extensively.

Not that it matters, but I loved Into the Shadows. I read that back in 1993 and it's pure nostalgia for me. I still borrow on many of the sensibilities of that book for my own setting color and details.
Tiralee
2049, it was a simpler time...but some things never change...

"September 2 CFS: The recording of rock star Axe Slayer being killed by his exploding codpiece sells hundreds of thousands of copies on its first day of release."

[Sixth World Almanac p. 67]

Details like this is why I play 3rd edition. smile.gif

-Tir [raww, dinosaur, raww]
Arax Dvorak
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Apr 24 2021, 10:55 AM) *
2049, it was a simpler time...but some things never change...

"September 2 CFS: The recording of rock star Axe Slayer being killed by his exploding codpiece sells hundreds of thousands of copies on its first day of release."

that was a serious chuckle for me too

did find a 1E reference to Eric's Ten Minute War, in the shadowtalk on pg. 102 of the Seattle Sourcebook, e.g. they buried it in the shadowtalk at the start of the Auburn chapter, but didn't have a specific location for Eric's Italian Restaurant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012