Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two more cred questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
sapphire_wyvern
1) What about bribes? Say you're needing to hide out in a Barrens squat in order to surveille a target, and you want to grease the wheels with the locals a bit. In a movie, you'd just pull out some cash and chuck them a note - but you can't do that in SR because of the lack of cash. Most Barrens squatters wouldn't have a credstick to accept a transaction anyway. Also, many Lone Star, government and corporate officials and so on would be leery of accepting a bribe via a credstick transaction, as there are too many records kept.

So should you carry a supply of small-denomination certified credsticks to toss around? Or is it better to just use gifts appropriate to the bribee? (Insulated blankets, powerpacks, heaters and food packages for Barrens squatters; bottles of grog or cigars or something for cops and corporates).

What do you do in your games?

2) What are typical ratings for credstick verification systems? I'll provide a list of typical places where a credstick would be checked, and you can provide suggested ratings. I looked for this info in the SSG, but didn't find it - was I looking in the wrong place?

Stuffer Shack

Supermarket/Department Store

Store selling restricted goods (weapons, body armor, restricted software)

Mobile police patrol

Cop Shop

Corporate Security Checkpoint

Border Crossing (Land)

Domestic Airport (such as they are in the Sixth World, anyway)

International Airport

AK404
Well, in the Barrens, I'd offer them food, a gun, a squat, or a certified credstick. Useful shiznit. Hell, you can make a friend-for-life out of a squatter really fast by making sure he gets a cheese pizza every day at noon in his own squat and some sort of guarantee that the local gangs'll steer clear of him.
mckay421
Question number one...

Where does it say in the SR books that there isn't cash?
Sure lots of transactions are done with cred...but I have read that runs can be paid for with bearer bonds and stock options.

If you want to bribe somebody in the barrens without cash...certified credstick...don't leave home without it. I see no reason why in YOUR game (as I do in MY game) that you can't simply do a certified stick to stick exchange using something as innocuous as a pocket secretary. Hey...it is all make believe anyway. wink.gif

Your idea about bribing with something other than cash or cretified cred is actually a VERY good idea. Tickets to a basketball game for a sports nut. A Todd McFarlane foil cover issue of Spiderman for the contact that just happens to collect Spiderman. The list is pretty much endless...it just depends what your contact or buddy has an interest in. And the cool thing about bribing somebody with an item that they actually WANT...it shows that you consider them more than simply a source of info.

Question number two...

I can't remember where I saw that at...but I do remember somthing about it. It may be covered in the Matrix or in the SR 3 main rulebook.

All the best...
John
Fortune
Paper money does still exist in the Sixth World. It is just not used as often as it is nowadays.
Cursedsoul
I believe Paper Cash in SR3 is predominently CorpScrip.

Good on territories controlled by the corp that issued it, good for TP anywhere else. There are banks and agencies that will, for a small fee, change corpscrip from one place into corpscrip for another.

I imagine places such as the UCAS and CAS use gubdamint money that's only good on their lands.

Tends to keep the workers loyal knowing their life savings isn't worth feces outside their living area, which is 9 times out of 10 owned and operated by whatever agency they work for.
Voltage
Of course there's bills still around. Even though the Shadowrun RPG for SNES is by no means official, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't use paper money if it was completely implausible to the Shadowrun fanbase.
Person 404
Even though the Shadowrun RPG for SNES is by no means official, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't use paper money if it was completely implausible to the Shadowrun fanbase.

You mean like the dragon-killing, assault-cannon toting amnesiac decker/sam/dog shaman protagonist?
Fygg Nuuton
alway take care of squatters, you never know when you need a disposable delivery person.

sometimes food, clothes, ammo and other necessities will get you farther than the equivalent creds

pluss i always keep about a grand in any corpscrip in a compartment in my car, cuz you never know...
Abstruse
Paper money is definately still printed in the Sixth World. Most transactions are done via credsticks, but there are still many that are done through cash. Think about it, is a vendor on the corner selling hot dogs or okinomiyaki or whatever going to have a 15,000¥ credstick reader for his 1¥ tranactions? I doubt it. Want to buy a little knick-knack or a snacky or something like that? Are you going to go through a fingerprint analysis to do it? No, you'd throw a fit. Just like people throw a fit now when they're asked for their ID to use a credit card. Would you tolerate having to go through a retinal scan every time you wanted to buy a bottle of AzteCola from the vending machine at work? There are still cash printed and coins minted. If nothing else, TT prints nuyen money in .1¥, .25¥, .5¥, 1¥, 5¥, 10¥, 20¥, 50¥, 100¥, and 500¥ notes I believe.

Let's review. Buy a soda, use a coin. Buy a hotdog, use a bill. Buy a Nuke 'Em Burger and SoyShake, use your credstick or cash. Buy a sim at the mall, use your credstick. Slide 50¥ to the head waiter at the four star restaurant to get a good table, use cash or certified cred. Give the Lone Star officer 200¥ to forget he found the LMGs behind the headlights of your Westwind and the 10 kilos of C12 in the trunk, use certified cred. Get paid by the Johnson for using the LMGs and C12, make DAMN sure it's certified cred or bearer bonds. And even then, launder the hell out of it.

The Abstruse One
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012