Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charm City [IC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Thanee
"Well, a perfect fit can only be perfect, if there is no compromise. You can only ever have one of the two."

Selina laughs, as he grimaces through the shock of the heavy liqueur.

"What is that stuff? Not sure I can stomach that. I guess, I can try a sip, but don't think I can manage a full glass of that..."

"Anyways, unlike me, you have been here many times, I imagine. Have you been to the floor upstairs? I have only heard some rather vague rumors about what they offer there. To be honest, that mystery has piqued my curiosity a bit. I'm really like a cat, if it comes to that. Always curious about everything."
pbangarth
Bongo replies to the wink, << After the set, I'll buy you a drink, and we can chat.>>
Koekepan
Tubesnake nods to himself as the toxins do their work. It's a dirty job, and one that he would have done with the sniperlegs bots, but who needed gunfire attracting attention? Not him, that's who. He reels the cables in, and has the bots either crawl back on their own, or help the damaged back.

While he does this cleanup work, he sends out a group message: <<Hey y'all, I got the critters whacked. I'm ready to set up a relay node to fix the comms, but anybody want to tell me what they need to get'r done? Angel, you want anything specific?>>
Thanee
<< @Tubesnake: Awesome! Good job! I have had my agent program collect some commlink data in here, maybe that can be useful to figure out some 'links that have been here at that night and possibly get some more information that way. I can have it sent over. >>
sunnyside
(OOC: Just a little bit of time here. I PMed Seth. After that I'll sort of play them for a bit but with them asking Tubesnake to walk her through things. then we can decide how to move forward long term later.)

She takes a little while reply to Bongo. AR is meant to be convenient, but not so convenient while performing. Eventually she manages to get a message back. "Let's hear some more and then see about talking away from the band when I can."

----------------

His public profile is quite brief. Just Mike, single, looking for women, VIP

He glances up at her from the swirling liquids. "Well, I wouldn't advise just having a shot. But that's what the old ritual is all about. It isn't just starting at swirling green liquids. If you fill it up to about here." He points to a spot on the glass. "Than you've got an alcoholic concentration more like a standard cocktail. If you'd like you could set down a second sugar cube and fill the glass up, than it'd be more like a fruity sweet drink. Just with a different flavor profile than strawberry or what have you. Give it a try if you never have."

He pauses a bit before continuing.

"I do like coming here, and I've been invited up to the third floor. I think with the whole prohibition thing they feel a need for having something actually prohibited. So there are strippers. Which isn't exactly prohibited, but I think there's a bit more too it, and let's say they aren't checking the IDs on the strippers. Not my scene, obviously as I'm down here. "
pbangarth
Bongo keeps singing, but now modifies his voice to sing a harmony to the band singer's melody.
Koekepan
Tubesnake takes the coiled cables down to his van, while the undamaged drones drag the damaged back as well. Oh well, he knows how to fix them and he can recycle the silicone rubber and the rest of it to rebuild them from the original moulds.

Once he's dumped his load in the van, he grabs a broom and goes back up to the scaffolding, bringing along a Fly-Spy as a discreet relay for Angel's needs. The broom he can use to clear up the dead beetles as well as accumulated trash on the scaffolding.
sunnyside
(OOC: With 6 hits to 5 ones Bongo does almost manage another glitch. FYI Selina got 3 net hits on Etiquette, which I tend to use for trying to get people talking outside of a con or negotiation, as well as just fitting in.)

Bongo is getting the hang of projecting from a crowd to the stage, and her smile is getting broader.

By the end of the song, she whispers something to the singer. He seems upset, but she quietly says "Renee can just synth my part for a couple songs, I'll be right back."

And then with the briefest of winks at Bongo she heads off stage towards the restrooms as the remaining two members go into the next song, with the decker adding her part in and the male singer taking up the center front of the stage.

------------------------

Tubesnake gets a message from Angel "I'm not sure what to do. I don't get things not all being interconnected. I can find your node easy, Could you lead the way?"

(OOC: I'm not sure how comfortable you are with hacking. You could choose to work together, with Angel handling the heavy lifting and cracking. Or you could just explain the physicality of accessing the coffee machine from the eye spy, and then having to detect something from there to get into the inside network. )

The mess on the roof would take Tubesnake a long while to clean up. But few would say he doesn't have plenty to do if they could see him.
pbangarth
Bongo follows. As he goes, he takes a look at how Selina is doing. She seems to be in control.
Thanee
Selina looks at the drink, still a little sceptical. "Alright, looks like I'll have to take your word on it."

"And afterwards, you show me what is going on upstairs? We don't have to stay long, or anything, I probably like it better here as well. Just curious, as I said. And how can I compare without having at least seen it once, right?"
Koekepan
Tubesnake whistles while he works - unfortunately, nothing like the sophisticated musical stylings inside the club, but a sort of cheery musical medley of nonsense picking up bits and pieces of pap from the last fifty years. Any words that might go along with them are surely invented, and entirely unexpurgated. A lot of the trash from scaffolding and roof alike is shoved judiciously down into an alleyway behind the building, next to a dumpster. Particularly big chunks are preceded with him carefully eyeing the surface to be sure that nobody is likely to be hurt.

In between bursts of whistling and the occasional: ""Look out below!"" he communicates with Angel.

<<OK, ma'am, your problem is that there are barriers between devices, so you can only follow a particular path. You got in the node, that's great, but you see from it there's a thing called JavaKaffa3.3? That's your gateway. If you can jump from the node into that, you'll see a bunch more stuff that you couldn't see before, and that's your playground.>>

He takes a moment to make sure that the Fly-Spy is nicely nestled in a huge expansion seam, expending no energy except for its relay comms. He adjusts his gloves, takes a firm grip on the broom, and shoves one of the dead jauchekaefer off a beam so that it crunches down near the mouth of the alleyway. Another way to tell people to steer clear, really.
sunnyside
(OOC: Hmmm. Angel really was built to crack systems from the matrix, they aren't so good with the real world electronic warfare stuff. Of course they can thread any program or call a sprite but still. I'll play them RAW for a while before giving them the bonus for build repair skills equivalent to that offered to regular hackers. Anyway they cracked the coffee machine easily enough but glitched trying to scan for the financial system and other interesting things which are in hidden mode. Glitching aside hey actually have easy access since they're dropping right into the third floor versus coming in from the outside. Tubesnake is actually pretty good at that part with a dice pool of 8 from AR.)

Angel sends Tubesnake a thumbs up emoji, and then goes quite for whole three seconds before getting back in Tubesnakes ear "Arrrgggh! There isn't anything there! I can get in easy enough, and I hacked a picture frame and a fan, and looked around for signals but there isn't anything. I can't do anything here. frown.gif "

-------------------------------------------

She (Her name, if Bongo scans her open node, is Rose Griffith and she has an extensive profile up. From the pictures flying by she either had or does sing with bands other than RetroStack here). leads Bongo into the hallway with the bathrooms, swaying her small hips in her flapper dress and looking at him over her should, under her jet black up do. However she doesn't go in and instead turns and gets close to him.

"I might still see about getting that drink when the set is done, but I didn't want you getting caught up in something else. How are you doing that thing? Where it seemed like only I could hear you? Actually maybe what I really want to know, since I should get back soon, is if you'd be interested in seeing if we might be able to make some music together? "

=-------------

Mike look confused at Selina, and leans back clearly confused. Taking a sip of the sweetened and diluted absinth gives him a little time to saver and think. Then he seems to put things together in a way satisfactory to him and he waves a hand at her briefly. "Ah! The cat thing. Just too curious, aren't you? Or maybe into all that? Well, if you really really want to find out, I'm sure I could arrange something.

Even if it isn't quite to your taste we could get out of here and find something more to your likin. Like the saying goes. "

He pauses a moment for effect

"Curiosity killed the cat.. but satisfaction brought it back!"

At that last bit he raises his glass in a toast.
Koekepan
Tubesnake frowns, and pauses in his detritus removal. He clips on his second safety line and lets the broom dangle from a lanyard on his harness while he brings up the working display in his goggles.

<<Hang on a second there, ma'am, let me see what I can get from your pet coffee machine.>>

[ Spoiler ]

<<Here, does this help? Figure the hardware ain't the greatest. Let me send you the list of items.>>

Tubesnake quickly extracts the scan list from his interface, and offers the blob to Angel for her own purposes. Then, back to work scrubbing a stubborn patch of decomposed bat dung and mushrooms off a corner of a girder.
pbangarth
Bongo smiles a Bongo smile and moves a little closer. "Nothing would please me more than to make ... music with you, Rose. Here's some of the things I have done." He makes available the bio of Bongo Slade the musician from Toronto.

"The thing I do with my voice is a talent I have. I have a little Magic working for me. It's come in handy in some performances, and in some scrapes I've encountered in my other life. Funny you should mention getting caught up, because I and my co-workers are here tonight looking for a lost girl. Her family thinks she's in trouble. She was seen here and we came to get leads. I figured someone on stage might have had a look at her and seen who she was with.

"Then, well, " He gently returns an errant lock of her hair to its place. " Then I saw and heard you, and I got caught up."
sunnyside
(OOC: So keeping with the general 4th edition trend of hackers being present, scanning is only a complex action when you're there in person and can declare where you expect a hidden node to be (such as a drone or camera). It's an extended test with 1 combat turn duration for a general scan., but I'll let Tubesnake buy hits after their initial respectable roll. It takes a total of eight combat turns, but scanning is passive and the spider isn't keeping an eye on the coffee machine.)

Angel sends another smiley after Tubesnake sends over the information.

A few seconds later as Tubesnake sends some detrius down he startles a group of drunk women in short black dresses that had moved into the ally. They look over and see the Jauchekafers bodies and start screaming. At about the same time Tubesnake gets a frustrated Angel in his ear again. "I hacked the two hidden nodes you found right away after a little threading. I got into somebodies comlink and some main server. There's all sorts of financial information and stuff in the server, but it's just boring inconography and data and everything is listed by things like table or server numbers instead of pictures I can't do anything with it. frown.gif wacko.gif "

(Tubesnake would know there's probably something somewhere that has the table layouts. However Selina is sitting at the table in question, which has a sign by the stairs leading down to it that says "Table 17").

-------------------

The club is full of all sorts of amusements. In poor Rose's case her face clearly shows how Bongo is sender her on an emotional rollercoaster ride. At first she seems very enthused looking at his bio even moreso once she gets to some of the location info. "Ah! So you're new in town! Not here for a gig either I take it? "

Then things plunge downward as she hears he's here looking for some other girl. But just as her mouth was starting to form a hard "F" Bongo switches things up again and she blushes.

"Ah. That makes more sense. I'd have been upset with you emphasizing "My gal" like that earlier if the gal wasn't me."

(OOC: Remember that glitch?)

"I guess I can see if I can help you with your other thing over that drink you promised. " She gives him a light touch on his nose and starts back towards the band.
Koekepan
<<I gotcha, ma'am. All you need is a reference for server and table numbers. They have to have it, if only for scheduling their staff and tip payouts, but also probably for kitchen and bar reference usage. What you are looking for is a lookup table that you can probably find in the layout section of their application configuration. Those are usually graphic so that the dullest manager or maitre d'table can set up a map without having their hand held. It's in there - you just have to find it. Another place you might find that is in lighting controls, where they can optionally dim certain tables for shows or whatever. If they have security cameras online, chances are they also have table visibility setups there. If the servers have their own 'links for the house application, I betcha that's listed in there too. Make a note of the financials you find, because they might leave clues to big activities there, once we have the tables sorted.>>

Tubesnake waits with the broom, rather than pushing more detritus onto the poor shocked women, and takes the time while they calm themselves down to send off his message to Angel.

pbangarth
In answer to Rose's question, Bongo replies, "Not looking for a gig tonight, but I rarely refuse a sit in for some percussion. Gigs might come once I am settled in town."

He waits a minute or two, so as not to be seen to be too involved with Rose coming back from the hallway, and then returns to the main room. He glances around to see how Selina is doing.
sunnyside
Over the audio link Tubesnake hears Angel say "thanks" But without a lot of confidence followed by some frustrated humming sounds. Then they say "Ah! I'll make a data friend! They'll know what to do!"

This time Tubesnake gets a while to work before Angel is back in Tubesnakes ear and this time she's broadcasting to the group "It's Frank Torres! That's the guy. I even have his address. It's some uptown place to the North. My map app says it's a 21 minute walk from here. I guess there's all sorts of other stuff in the business server, and the guys comlink. Oh yeah, I had to hack the comlink of the guy that was sitting with Frank and Sophie, turns out he was the one that bought the table, but he didn't change his access ID since then and was online. Then I figure out to look and there were messages and things on there where he used Frank's name, and Frank can be found in a public search. And I managed it myself....well, the sprite did most of it, but I compiled them so it counts..."

She's obviously proud of herself, even if her speech trails off as she gets distracted.

(OOC: Angel dropped their sustained exploit thread to better summon a resonance 5 data sprite to manage some of stuff they found frustrating. Picked up 1 physical damage getting a hair overconfident threading a new boost for their exploit program. Also it feels like the matrix ought to be green.)

-----------------------------------

Rose says over her shoulder "Tommy probably wouldn't like that. But if you like trouble I'd tell him you're a friend and let you in on a song...if you like trouble." She smiles and heads back to the stage.

As Bongo heads out to the dance floor he hears Angel's news.
pbangarth
Bongo chimes in on the matrix chat. "Great work, Angel. So what's the plan? Should we head to Frank's place and check him out, or what? If we're sticking around, I have an opportunity to stir up some fun and trouble here." He adds a few images and emojis (Yes, old tech!) to calm any fears that he might get distracted.
Koekepan
Tubesnake takes a deep breath, and stretches now that he's finished enough cleaning to look plausible. He takes his broom and starts back.

<<All done then, ma'am? Shall I take the relay back again?>>
sunnyside
Angel replies back to the group "So the business node is going to the outside from here, so I can access it without the coffee link, so I should be good without it! However right now I have access to the business node, and the two commlinks. If I clean my tracks I might have to hack into them again, but that's pretty easy for me as long as they don't go changing their access IDs. Is there anything anybody else would like to know?"

(OOC: Tubesnake knows more about the real world aspects of the matrix than Angel does. If you remove the eye spy she'll still be connected, but if a spider realizes they're outclassed Tubesnake would guess there is probably a gateway the club is using that could be shut down, which would dump angel. Though as long nobody gets suspicious, or blows up the server room or something Angel should be fine)
Koekepan
<<Awright, ma'am, but if you aren't sneaky enough and they cut things off, I can set up a relay again. Just keep me informed, right?>>

Tubesnake continues wrapping up his tools, including the Fly-Spy. It's not as if he couldn't get it back up there in seconds.
Thanee
<< So, this Frank Torres guy has paid for the table where the picture with Sophia was taken during that night? Great work, Angel! And Tubesnake, too, of course! Team effort. smile.gif >>

<< I will check out what is going on upstairs. Probably not quite legal what they are doing there. I don't think I will stay long, though. >>

Selina also raises her glass. She is curious about how that drink tastes like, after all, and hopefully it really isn't too bad.

"Santé!"
pbangarth
Bongo wanders slowly towards the stairs, nodding to Rose and taking a good look at the guy handling the synthed percussion, sizing him up. For, like, later, yo?
sunnyside
(OOC: No idea what you or your character would think of absinth if you've never had it. But it's got a fair bit of sugar and water in it now after dissolving the sugar cube.)

Shortly after exclaiming "Santé!" Selina notices Mike slips away, probably using AR for just a moment. But he smiles when he comes back.

Selina has her own distractions though. Specifically Angel, again communicating with everyone "Yes...well no, Frank Torres is the guy with his arm over Sophia. The table was paid for by the other guy, whose comlink I hacked once I had the access ID....uh...I guess I didn't ask the data sprite what his name was, but I still have access to his comlink. "

Back at the table Mike finishes his drink and says "Well, we can go up to the third floor in a bit. But I believe you'd mentioned something about wanting to dance?"
Koekepan
Tubesnake gathers up his ladders, stowing them on top of the van and generally gets things buttoned down for movement. The damaged drones get set aside for later repair, when he'll recover and re-mould the damaged silicone as well as repairing the internal hardware.
pbangarth
Bongo shares with the team," The singer might be able to give us some more information. I will have a drink with her after the set is done. "
Thanee
"It's a bit of an acquired taste, I guess," Selina comments as she puts down the glass. "But not as bad as I thought."

As Mike mentions dancing, she smiles. "Is that your subtle way of saying, that you would rather do anything else than check out upstairs?"

"Alright, let's dance!"
Koekepan
Paul continues his cleanup work as he goes, sitting in the back of the van while keeping a view of the van's outside cameras in his AR in case there are further developments. He sprays degreaser on the damaged drones to make it easier to assess the necessary repairs.
sunnyside
Eventually Tubesnake gets Angel's voice in his head again, though this time just for him "Uh. Mr. Snake. You'd mentioned getting to use your drones. If we're waiting on the others, could I try some things with that cute crawling land Narwhal drone that you used to fight the bugs? I like exploring...but I don't like, outside yet. Those things are kind of like the matrix going on a walk.

I mean, if you don't think we should be getting started on the next place or something else. But I don't know what to do. "

In the real world Tubesnake can see that the area is getting really crowded as the night goes on. It seems to be the place to be, even if all you can afford is hanging out on the corner. Though by the look of some of the groups of Orks staring each other down or occasionally giving a greedy look at some uptowner or tourist and their bodyguards you might be able to get a show out here too.
--------------

(OOC: I'll give you a chance to specify what Selina and Bongo are up to, but I get the impression you're looking to advance time to the end of the set when Bongo can get a drink and the third floor opens. So if you want to advance time pbangarth just indicate how Bongo passes the time, along with any messages sent, and indicate that the set is over. )

-------------------------------

Mike smiles and says "I aim to please, and I'd like to keep you a happy cat. So I'll make arrangements to head up there, they should open it up at the end of the set, so we have a while."

At that he follows her out of the booth, and then leads the way back downstairs to the dance floor. The second floor is packed enough, mostly with tables, that it isn't a very popular place to dance now that folks are starting to get tired and pay to fill up the cheaper seats, versus the more private table with a view Selina had just been in.

Mike manages to find some space below, with the help of his large friend, and soon starts showing off his period moves. He's actually light on his feat, and the slack in his armor and suit at least keeps it from constricting him.

(OOC: rolled a couple hits but glitched. Getting a lot of those it feels like. Maybe time for new dice)

He shows off that he can manage some of the more impressive moves of the time, like the move where you jump up and click your heels, however on one he lands a little off and stumbles toward Selina.

(OOC: Up to you how Selina reacts and what the roll might be. By default it could be a simple dodge, but she could do a fancy gymnastic dodge, a melee based block/grapple, an athletic check to try and catch him, maybe even a dance roll to predict the flow of things and steady him like he didn't mess up. He isn't trying to hit her, so a single hit would make it "glancing" and two lets you pull off the maneuver of choice.)

-------------------------------------
Thanee
With amazing ease Selina somehow manages to hug Mike before he falls and steady him with her own body turning into the direction of him stumbling and just pushing against him to keep him on his feet.

[ Spoiler ]

She looks at him in a very playfully scolding way. "Don't tell me you didn't do that one on purpose..."

Then she winks and lets him stand on his own again, going right back to her own dancing.
Koekepan
<<No problem, ma'am. I can let you borrow a shankworm, sure. I usually use 'em on a comms link cable, but they can work wireless too. If you like it, I can build you one to your specifications, too, maybe with different hardware inside. What's your preference?>>

While he communicates with Angel, he grabs a shankworm and sprays it with degreaser as well in case she wants to play with it immediately.
sunnyside
Angel replies "Well, maybe I could try it out now Mr. Snake, unless there's something else you'd like me to do. I just feel so distant, but it'd be scary out there. "

(OOC: One thing I've been wondering is how you'd handle a shankworm attack if jumped in. I'm thinking a melee skill instead of gunnery, but I don't know if that's RAW anywhere.)

----------

Mike gives her an embarrassed smile "Well, if I'd known how it would turn out I would have done it deliberately. "

He gets back to trying to have a good time on the dance floor...just without the aerial moves.

The songs are upbeat and energetic, working well with individualistic dancing, but at the end of the set they slow it down with Ella Fitzgerald's "Cheek to Cheek"

Mike casually takes out a handkerchief to dry off his hands, while giving his best winning smile. "So, you seem to have many talents. Is the Foxtrot one of them? If you'd like we could even start dancing our way to the stairs up."
pbangarth
Bongo admires Selina's quick save. She'd make a good hockey goalie. He looks for the most visible table still open, paying whatever the reservation fee is, and occupies it, waiting for Rose to finish her set and come join him.
sunnyside
As the night had gone on tables had started getting bought up, but Bongo gets one along the west wall of the building, closer to the front of the club, bit still with a decent view of Selina's now empty table on the east side.

The trip to the table is smoother for Bongo because people are taking a break as the "live" music has stopped for the moment, and had been slower with that last song. A fair number are heading up the stairs to other tables, but Bongo walks past them to the staircases going down to the private box with it's view of the first floor.

He doesn't have to wait long for Rose. She slides in along the bench, getting right up next to Bongo.

"It would have been trouble, but I was disappointed when you didn't show up on stage. I was wondering if you had the confidence to really lead a show. But maybe you..."

At this is starts walking her fingers up his chest.

"have less to prove than I thought if you're just dropping the nuyen to sit here. I didn't realize your gigs had been so successful. We get pretty steady work, but I've never actually been up in one of these table."

She thinks a moment, leaving her hand on his chest and resting her head on his shoulder. "I've been invited plenty of times mind you. But I can get free drinks wherever. I'm only interested in artists, and I'm serious about my music.

She leans back a little and lifts her head so she can look Bongo in the eyes. Giving him a look of her red iris tinting, maybe from her AR contacts. "I guess what I should really be asking is why did you leave whatever you has going to come here?"

Bongo is spared having to answer on the spot by being interrupted by a waitress. 'Hello you two birds! What would you like for the bottle you paid for with the table. The moonshine and mixers set, or the absinthe service? You could request other spirits or champaign from the bar, but they don't come with all the fun stuff. "
Koekepan
<<No problem. Here, let me turn this one on and give you its address. If you like the ride, I'll make you your own. No big deal.>>

Paul takes the shankworm that he's just degreased, plops it onto the floor of the van, coils it up so that its little sucker-tipped pseudopods are all on the floor but the body is a spiral, and then turns it on.

<<Should still be plenty of battery in it, but I have charging points if you want more.>>
pbangarth
Bongo goes for the moonshine option, glancing at Rose to be sure she is OK with that.

It's been a while, what with travelling around. And with Willie beside him, many would steer clear. He enjoys the attention Rose is paying him and reciprocates with an arm around her waist. As young as he is, he has nevertheless learned the cost of getting distracted while on a job. But this does feel good.

"I have a pretty good rep for myself back home in Toronto, but I'm a bit of a rolling stone." He smiles at the oblique musical reference.

"I've travelled around the continent some, Seattle, some of the NAN. There are things I can do that people find useful, so money seems to find a way to me. All of it is background, though. Someday. Someday I'm gonna find what I'm really looking for, and I will be the only one to make that thing happen." A look comes into Bongo's eyes whenever he talks of his quest. Anyone with the least bit of perception will notice the change in him.

"I can't find it staying at home, so I travel. Make music, find things, people, like the job I have now. But here. This first before the job. This is what I can do as a musician."

Bongo withdraws his arm from Rose, with some regret. He finds the sounds the table, both surface and legs, the bench and his chest make. Then he improvises a rhythmic pattern, mixing time signatures against each other. And he calls up the Magic to give it full life.

[ Spoiler ]
sunnyside
"Thank you" Angel replies to Tubesnake. A little bit later the drone starts moving forward. Tubesnake recognizes the walk pattern of the default command mode. Then it shudders a little bit, and then starts moving much worse, though still managing to go forward. Then it tries turning, apparently taking in its surroundings, but soon it comes around and hits itself, like someone losing a game of "snake."

"Arrrgh" comes the voice in his ear. How am I supposed to move without seeing myself. Where is the third person perspective! Oh, right real life and all. Humpf. So frustrating! I can't see anything except everything that isn't me, and by the time I can see me I'm all twisted up! "

She makes some synthetic frustrated noises for a while, and then says hopefully. "Are there any other cameras around Mr. Snake?"

-----------------------------

Bongo was reasonably certain based on how her body language tensed up that Rose was just waiting for a pause to respond to the "only one" comment. But he's saved by the bell, or rather the bongo, or more correctly the table as his performance gets her to relax and her mind to go a little slack.

When he finishes, she just stares at him for a little while until the effects fade enough that her natural loquaciousness kicks back in.

"That was amazing!" She says, and then looks at the table "Also really weird with a bar table. Are you going try and say you sprung for this for the better acoustics? Anyway I don't mind a little weird I... "

She cuts herself off, and her head slowly turns away from Bongo out into the club. These tables are designed for seeing, but also for being seen. Since the bench is only on the wall side, Bongo is essentially up on a tiny stage facing the dance floor. Following her gaze through and around the gilded bars and railing he realizes he'd attracted a substantial audience from the people just below.

There's something of a pause and then someone yells. "Hey. That was cool. Do that again!" A few cheers come up from below and then more join in, drowning out the muzak playing while the band takes their break.
Thanee
Selina nods to the suggestion. "Sounds good to me! Let's see what this place is offering 'under the table'."

"Foxtrot? Sure, I can do most of the classic dance routines. Lead the way!"

[ Spoiler ]

Via those handy trodes, she mentally constructs a message to send to the team. << I'm headed for the third floor now, to see what kind of 'entertainment' they have there. Probably some not so legal stuff. I was hoping to find some leads to our missing girl there, but from what I heard, that might not be so likely after all. Still, worth a try. I don't think I will be very long. >>

Fiona follows in her astral form, informing Selina, if there is anything noteworthy going on in the awakened realm.
pbangarth
Bongo knows from experience what happens to a crowd when he does his thing. His first reaction to the attention is to look to see if anyone seems immune or at least unaffected by his Performance. Always good to know who the resistant ones are. Looking around while he plays is second nature to him, and he has developed his Magic to help him do just that.

He responds to the crowd, waving his arms palms down in the universal gesture of 'quiet down, please.' Then he says, "Maybe later folks, I don't want to overdo it. Watch for me in the scream sheets to see where I might be performing in the future." He gives a glance and a raised eyebrow to Rose as he says so.

He turns to Rose and speaks softly, so only she can hear. "This is going to sound even weirder, Rose. My belief is that the world is alive. Some people call the planet Gaia. I'm a percussionist, and the first most primal beat is that of the heart. I think Gaia has a heartbeat. I wanna find that, and play it. It'll have to be me, 'cause, you know, I'm a damn fine drummer. Maybe the best there is." Big, Bongo grin after that.

He waits for a chance to get to tonight's job question.
sunnyside
(OOC: Huh, you really had the specialization).

IC: Like Selina, Mike is also not out to push it. The calmer beats lend themselves to expressiveness and being wary of the crowd anyway. The pace lets mike focus on Selina, smiling broadly at her while having a hard time taking his eyes off her face.

At the end of the song he doesn't resist her movement towards the stairs up to the third floor along with a smaller portion of the crowd. Mostly men. Mike seems a little distracted as he seems to be making some arrangements in AR. The staircase goes up the North side of the building, with a window on the landing, with bathrooms ahead, and about equal spaces to the east and west.

The bouncers look casual and relaxed against the door east, towards the "back" of the club. They're glancing at everyone, but presumably their AR glasses do the work of checking passes and IDs, allowing the crowd to casually stroll in. There's aclosed door marked "Offices: Staff only" on the west side. (OOC: If you've ever shared telemetry the gap in the wifi paint was over the office side, hence the access to the business node)

As Selina, Mike, and Fiona approach the open door, Selina would see a dark smoky interior, with some of the older gents sitting down at the closest tables.

Fiona, however, has her view impeded by a ward across the door, making it much less open in the astral. The walls block the view to see if the ward spans much more than just the door.

(OOC: Two hits on her assensing test isn't enough to give you the force of the ward)

-----------------------

Both Rose and the crowd are disappointed by the news, but the crowd gets back to doing their thing soon enough, along with a few sour grapes comments like "stupid table thumper. " that Bongo can just make out. Some start acting like he isn't there, but with his magically enhanced perception he can make out that some are talking about him still.

(OOC: An advantage of your diverse powers is since you aren't using all your abilities at once we can mostly ignore lower background counts. Hmm. Maybe it should knock a dice off your check though.)

Rose pouts a little "Aw, I really enjoyed that. But maybe you can make it up to me by playing some later. As for the Gaia thing... well, I'm OK with weird. At least that sounds like fun weird not creepy weird. Right? "

She stretches leans her long slender form over the table, letting her turn her back partly toward the crowd to better look Bongo straight on, and blocking his view from and to the crowd.

Thanee
Selina opens her own senses to the astral space, in order to take a look around.

[ Spoiler ]

Fiona will look around the sides of the floor in the meantime, to see whether it is fully covered by the ward. Maybe she can even sneak herself through the ward with some effort, but generally that is considered intrusive, so she is still waiting with that.

[ Spoiler ]
Koekepan
Paul wanders over to the refreshments in his van, grabs himself a cup of bean juice and a Nutzkrunsh bar (It'll crunch your nuts!) then settles down on his workstation stool to watch the shankworm writhe.

<<It has pretty good optical sensors, but they're not panoptic. What you're looking for are the touch matrix and proprioceptors. I could set you up more cameras, but you won't always have them so it makes more sense to get used to the extended sensory facilities. You should also make sure that you're hooking into the auditory and vibration sensors, because they'll correlate with the regular balance, attitude and other information coming in from proprioception so you can handle movement better. Bear in mind that the feet have suction cups as well as gecko tape tips.>>

He takes a pull from his cup and then unwraps the bar for a snack while Angel wrestles with the information flood.
pbangarth
"Right!" Bongo replies. "But it could take years ... a lifetime to figure it all out. In the meantime, I have to eat. So, speaking of earning my keep, let me get my business here out of the way so I can concentrate on enjoying your company.

"My teammates and I are looking for a young woman who went missing a while back. She showed up on someone's picture taken here one night not long ago. " He makes the pic available to Rose. "If you recognize anyone at the table, it would help us track her down and get her back to her family."
sunnyside
Looking around quickly in the astral, Selina doesn't see anything magically active except the ward. Perhaps just for state of mind it's just as well Fiona bumped into the astral magician earlier so they left.

By very slowly moving her face into the aural shadow of the wall, Fiona can see the glow of the ward before hitting it. The ward certainly extends down hall, and so it isn't a hasty mana barrier, so probably the couple hundred cubic meter variety.

For Selina, being led to the otherwise inviting doors by Mike, the only issue would be if she had any active spells or items (OOC: As I understand it fashion isn't magical after the required turns of sustaining, and I don't think fetishes have an issue, so I think she's Ok).

------------

(OOC: You have Bongo's Charisma down as 1+4=6. But even counting it as 5 you come up with 6 hits on etiquette, and generally a mound of positive modifiers for negotiation after that, which was useful as she isn't shabby in the social department either. )

Rose doesn't seem nearly so bothered at talk of help of the job as she had earlier at the bathrooms, and gives the picture a serious look.

"Well, I know the table for sure. It's right over there, but you probably figured that out.

Hmmm. No, I don't recognize her, or the guy she's with. But I feel like I've seen the other guy around some, maybe a few times. I've never talked with him or anything. "

She leans back with her hand on her mouth thinking.

"Actually wait, I haven't only seen him in the club while it's open. I'm pretty positive I saw him around off hours when we were working on getting everything set up. So he must have some business here with management. He's not regular staff or I should have a better idea of who he is. I think he was talking with the Miguel, who handles security here, and a couple of the bouncers that are usually on the third floor, so probably something security related. "

--------------------

Angel makes another frustrated synth noise in response, but on tubesnakes tip gets out of her predicament by using the feet to climb over the body section she'd bumped into, which works reasonably well, and then she's off again. She starts making happier noises as she starts heading around, and soon is under the van and messing around with going up the tires she she can walk around upside down.

Eventually the length of the thing gets her in touble again as the tail end binds in a wheel well.

Aside from some noises at first she doesn't immediately ask Tubesnake for help. After a little bit the worm makes a relatively elegant rolling move to get out of it's bind. And it takes off toward the building.

" This time I compiled a friend to help out with moving. It does a real good job....but it'll only do one job for me before having to leave. So I told it to explore the top of the building again to see what it does. Would it be OK, if you sent another drone up there Mr. Snake? Please? "
Thanee
"Just take your time, Fiona, to see if you can squeeze through the ward. If it proves too difficult, just wait outside," Selina informs her ally via their telepathic link.

She drops her own astral perception, in order to not interfere with the ward, as they head inside. Once there, she will focus her senses on the astral once more, to see if there is any other obvious countermeasure in place, like patrolling spirits.
Koekepan
<<No problem, hang on a moment.>>

Paul whistles quietly to himself while pulling the Fly-Spy back off the charging system, and popping open the hatch to send it flying up to the top of the club building.

<<On its way, ma'am, it'll be there before you finish walking up.>>
pbangarth
Bongo sends the new information on to the team. Then he settles in to a nice conversation with Rose. "Thanks. My part in the investigation is over for the moment, then, and I am free to indulge in conversation with a lovely lady.

"So is this the style of music you prefer?
He gestures toward the stage. If you had your choice, what would you sing?"
sunnyside
Stepping through the doorway Selina is able to get a better view of the inside of the large room. Looking in the astra she doesn't see any obvious defenses. But the murky environment reveals the background count in here is a two.

The room is set up somewhat like a standard stripper joint, with chairs and tables and short catwalk with a bar next to it on the north side. As this isn't a big building to start with the whole area is smaller than typical. Making it more crowded is that the east and west walls are taken up by little rooms with separate doors, less than three meters wide. Seven opposite where Selina came in and four on this side, owing to some space being lost to the entryway here on the south side of the room and bar north side This leaves a rectangular space in between. There are no windows, though there is a fire escape door near the catwalk. There are a trio of large Orks there, they don't come up as bouncers in AR though. The artificial light gives the room a purple tint.

Selina had time to warn Fiona if there was a spirit on patrol, but there isn't and after a short while Fiona manages to wriggle through the ward. This puts her into one of the small rooms. All she sees inside is a bench curving around the small space and the walls look like they might be padded.

There are some girls dancing, though they still have some scanty period clothes on.

Young girls, too young, of the different metahuman races are around in a variety of outfits, some period, but some more turn of the 21st century school girl outfits and the like.

Mike leads her towards the south wall, which puts them away from the crowd filing in, which tend to head towards the bar, tables, or catwalk.

"So the idea is the club doesn't employ any of them in any way. They're just supposed to be here for a good time and just happen to have fake IDs. In the wildly unlikely event they ever get busted they can ask what are bouncers supposed to do if the data isn't good after the last crash? They do the best they can with matrix security and so on and so forth.

The game is that they're naive and think everyone here is fascinating and nobody breaks character. People give them gifts for company and rent rooms, but never discuss money.

Though half the people here just seem to like the atmosphere and just want to hang out with friends and gamble while some pretty young thing pretends to care when you win, or just to have someone listen to their stories. Some just like to do business up here with higher security. "

Scanning the room the girls are mostly doing a good job of putting on an act but Selina knows something about conning people herself (OOC: 4 hits) and can tell most of them are terrified.

--------------------

Rose thinks a little while. "Well. " She pauses and bites her lip. Then lets out a big sigh. "I'm all over the place. That's why I change bands so often and keep on the lookout. Maybe what I really like is some variety you know? " She pauses again " I'd really like to hit it big, but maybe I'd get tired of it all if I get pinned down with whatever style finally shot me to the top."

She smiles broadly at Bongo "Though worry about that. I'd really really like to find out if that's the case."

------------

(OOC: pbangarth was a little fuzzy, but presumably he passes on, maybe as an audio file, what Rose said)

Angel thinks "Thanks Mr. Snake! I like this flying one. Ohhhh and the crawling one is cute. Just hard to work with. Being long and all. " She's getting a liiiiitle too close to the scaffolding for Tubesnakes taste but seems to be handling the spy alright.

For it's part the spirit is getting some good speed, as far is it goes for these things, out of the shankworm. But, checking the telemetry, it isn't too long before it's explored the roof and the shankworm just stops.

After a bit Angels voice returns "Mr. Snake. Could we try having them do a little narwhal swordfight? Do they break easy? "

Koekepan
<<Length gives advantages in some conditions, especially where footing is complex. The suckers and tape mean that it can hang from pipes or wires, look around corners and so on. The knife doesn't really work the way that you think, though. You could sort of wave it around, but it's made for a hard, powered jab. It's a good option for stealthing up on a devil rat or a raccoon, and skewering it, and of course all those feet give lots of purchase for driving it right through bones and cartilage. The primary use case is going down pipes and narrow spaces to fix problems and hunt down varmints. Depending on the varmint, there's enough length on the worm to wrap around it for a good grip and perform repeated stabs. The silicone is doped with internal fibrous structures to make it a flexible composite, which is kind of tough and strong, but I wouldn't recommend trying to get two of them to fence. The smart way to use them is to retract the blade until you can sneak up on your target, and then punch it out in a stab. The flexibility of the worm also means that it can foreshorten its body and then lunge out at the same time as it drives the spike out to add more range and strength to the attack.>>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012