Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Found Arcana - Chapter 11 [OOC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Gilga
Well I want her to read messages or copy the last caller log and snoop around the link basically.
Beta
Sorry, I got a bit complacent about not having things to post, missed my queue.

Per Tecumseh's comment, I spent some karma to represent her memory of older tech, giving her an 'interest' knowledge in pre-crash 2.0 computers at 2, and pre-crash 2.0 drones at 3 (for 3 and 6 karma respectively. Fortunately I'd had karma I hadn't figured out what to do with, so that still leaves her with 13). I was thinking that maybe the computers would apply as a limit to using the computers skill on these things, or something like that?

As a note, she also has Analytical Mind, which seems like it might be useful in this situation.

And then a roll. It happens that her computers is 4, and the knowledge skill of 2 gets +2 for her mneonic enhancers making 4, so it is the same dice pool on whether she is rolling her knowledge or computers skill.

use old computers: 9d6t5 5 Apparently the database is similar to something she'd used before? But possibly limited to 2 based on her knowledge skill?
Thanee
Cap should be your mental limit, if anything. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Jack_Spade
In regard to your search of the old system: We have to be aware that we are dealing with a stolen Identity - so if you find her name, make sure all the info there fits with the info we have about her.
Thanee
It could also just be made up, instead of stolen. Either way, we are pretty sure that it is fake at this point.

The Crash is convenient, so there won't be any records.

Which is why I kinda think we won't find anything there... but we will see, I suppose. smile.gif

If we actually find something, we will certainly get it all on video.

Bye
Thanee
Tecumseh
Thanee is correct: the relevant Limit would be Mental.

If anything, I would say that the Knowledge skill could act as a Teamwork test for the search test.

People are making good, relevant points ICly.
Beta
I was building off of how they do it with languages, where the language skill score is the limit for your social tests, but I'm also fine with the much higher mental limit smile.gif

Also I realize that at some point I got switched up about my colour coding. I'll get back to red for talking, sorry for any confusion.
Thanee
I think, languages are special in that regard, to simulate how difficult it is to use social skills through a language barrier. They are the exception to the general rule about limits.

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
@Jack: Sure, that is just F2 there? Force is the limit for Spellcasting tests.

So, unless that Barehanded Adept stuff changes that somehow, you would have a max. of 2 hits (which pretty much everyone will see through; all they need is 2 hits with Logic + Intuition).

Bye
Thanee
Tecumseh
Jack could spend Edge to Push the Limit to keep those hits.

I think everyone should be at full Edge at the moment, and it will refresh again overnight.

Team at UW, do you want to spend the afternoon looking or do you want to call off the search?
Thanee
I don't see why we shouldn't use the time. There are no pressing issues right now.

And I see the problem with the Force now... Magic / 3 is a pretty big limit. biggrin.gif

I mean, okay, it is an Adept quality after all, and it's not exactly expensive.

Still pretty neat, but you really need to use Reagents or Edge on anything that requires decent hits.

Bye
Thanee
Jack_Spade
Yeah, seeing through isn't a problem - but this is more a question of style - even if you see through it, you still see it - kinda like the AR overlays wink.gif

I wasn't about to spend money on an illusion that's just meant to be fun biggrin.gif
Beta
Tamarind is intending to stay for sure. Finding nothing won't be conclusive, but she at least wants to put in enough effort to have had a good chance of finding something if there was something to find.
Tecumseh
Given their high Willpower, I haven't been too worried about how much time AM, Raven, and Tamarind spend on a Sisyphean task.

In other games I have made Willpower a component about how disciplined someone can be with their downtime, but that's not necessary here. You can apply yourselves for as long as you have the IC patience to do so.
Gilga
Sorry for being so quiet, I am a bit distracted recently. I hope I'll pick it up in the next scene. I'll be happy to be in the background for the near future. So I don't know investigating the archives may be easy.
Tecumseh
I'll let Jack take the wheel and describe what happens next. It can be as long or as short as you like, but let's get back to the rest of the group.

Dakota is a potential Contact if you choose to cultivate them. If not, they can be discarded or disposed of as you see fit.

Should you see Dakota without clothes, you will notice that they seem to lack all reproductive organs. Without a closer examination - which I presume you're not going to perform - you won't be able to discern why or what happened.
Tecumseh
Alright, it's Monday night and just about time for bed. Is there anything people want to do before turning in? AM is free to RP some dancing, although the crowds will be thin on a Monday night.

Is everyone ready to advance until Tuesday? Agenda includes finishing the research project at the University of Washington and running the DNA through an ancestry database or two. (Technically that could get submitted tonight, but the results won't be available until tomorrow.)

Gilga, what exactly will AM ask Black to do regarding "the matrix security with Potter and the Lucky Duck"? She's Loyalty 6 so she'll be helpful but she'll need some direction.
Gilga
After this text, they go out? <<Can't, honey. On the run. Currently being shot at. Next time. Ciao!>> The woman is playing it hard to get.

I was thinking of sitting at one of the upscale hotels in town, drinking a bit, and catching up, nothing too dramatic.

AM will ask if she can determine who does this kind of security. Having a more experienced decker look at it may give us some insight.
Jack_Spade
Bobby will submit the ancestry database request. Otherwise yes, time to move forward.
Beta
Chipping in on a teamwork matrix search (I'm assuming AM will take lead)

teamwork on matrix search: 9d6t5 3
Tecumseh
We can just buy hits.

Let me know if all three (AM, Raven, Tamarind) are going back to the University of Washington or if any of them want to go in a different direction.
Gilga
AM might go for a coffee with Black, but aside from that, she'll go to the university as we don't have anything else to do (yell if I am missing anything).
Beta
Wait, were the Halloweeners hit that hard in the last part? "A flicker of what they used to be"? (I may have missed some implications?)
Tecumseh
Gilga did it back in Chapter 9, almost exactly one year ago.

Refresher: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=1361953

It's actually quite aligned with the lore. The Halloweeners are brought to the edge of extinction once every ten years or so but then manage to claw their way back. It was Renraku in the 2050s, then the Ancients in 2069, and now the Crimson Crush in 2079. The tradition continues!
Jack_Spade
Was that battle enough to wipe them?
Gilga
Up to you. I left it open to interpretation. I was slightly more modest, suggesting many of them got wiped out. Nightmare is playing some different game and is entirely uninterested in their plight. The remaining Halloweeners likely grow more dependent on Urubia because they are no longer powerful enough to leave the organization. After all, leaving may trigger another war with the Crimson Crush, and the Crush would have the entire syndicate backing them off. Tecumesh's suggestion blends very well with what I had in mind. Though I tried to leave it undetermined to let the rest of you decide how much weight to give that shift.
Tecumseh
In my head they still exist but there's only a handful left, a dozen at most. So they're not a force right now, but eventually (like, in years) they'll build back up.

Nightmare will still be playing its game, but the rest of the Halloweeners won't be much of an antagonist. Carn-Evil might pop up at some point, hehehe.
Tecumseh
Jack, does Bobby have a specific plan or approach he's going to take while looking for Dennis? Coffin motels? Bars? Watching the street from a rooftop?
Jack_Spade
Moving from bar to bar and looking/asking around. Maybe also fast and street food vendors.
Tecumseh
I tried to use AI to generate a picture of clamp chowder but it would only give me images of clam chowder.

AM mentioned the crash that killed Corinne's 'parents'. That was during Crash 2.0, thus about 10 years ago. She would have been an adult at the time, age 33 or so.

Piecing things together you could probably generate a rough timeline:

2036 - Potter born
2049 - Potter adopted
November 2069 - Crash 2.0
November 2078 - Brackhaven skips town, throwing election into disarray. Special elections scheduled for February 2079 (primary) and May 2079 (general).
December 2078 - Potter's boss killed, Potter begins campaign for office
February 2079 - Potter wins primary, advances to general election vs. Nikola Taul.
April 2079 - Present Day
Gilga
QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Mar 6 2024, 11:09 PM) *
I tried to use AI to generate a picture of clamp chowder but it would only give me images of clam chowder.

AM mentioned the crash that killed Corinne's 'parents'. That was during Crash 2.0, thus about 10 years ago. She would have been an adult at the time, age 33 or so.

Piecing things together you could probably generate a rough timeline:

2036 - Potter born
2049 - Potter adopted
November 2069 - Crash 2.0
November 2078 - Brackhaven skips town, throwing election into disarray. Special elections scheduled for February 2079 (primary) and May 2079 (general).
December 2078 - Potter's boss killed, Potter begins campaign for office
February 2079 - Potter wins primary, advances to general election vs. Nikola Taul.
April 2079 - Present Day

Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying. She was 13 so she knows alright.

let's edit it to something "she treats her adopting parents as parents."
Tecumseh
@Thanee
Is there anything you wish to accomplish in your scene or should we just fast-forward past it?
Thanee
Sorry! Just being a bit busy here. smile.gif

I am also gone the whole day today, so would post again tomorrow.

But no, there isn't really anything special Rachel is trying to accomplish.

Bye
Thanee
Jack_Spade
Looks like I can finally use my Kiai ability biggrin.gif
Tecumseh
Bobby's Intimidation roll is down -4 due to being outnumbered and the fact that the other side has a weapon. That leaves him with two hits.

Cyclone resist: Charisma + Willpower: 11d6t5 0 hits, wow, firing blanks over there
Steel Rat resist: Charisma + Willpower: 11d6t5 2 hits, a tie

Bobby would know that both are likely to have high Willpower. Cyclone so that he can soak drain, and Steel Rat because he's a dwarf. If you're going to use Kiai, you'll probably want to put your back into it.
Jack_Spade
Should be enough for a debuff at least. smile.gif
Tecumseh
Wow! That would have been a good roll even without the exploding 6s!
Tecumseh
Mindlink technically requires a voluntary subject, but it's clever so we'll go with it. I'll interpret the "voluntary" portion to mean that the target's thoughts don't flow back to the caster without the target's approval. Also, to avoid weaponizing it, I'll say that intrusive thoughts from the caster can be shut down by the target. But in this case Bobby's message is so short that it is done being delivered by the time that Dennis would have a reaction to shut it off.

Let's wrap up things back at the Printing Office. You promised your findings (not about Potter, just about the contents of the databases) to Stan. Then the team can regroup, presumably back in Bellevue or Redmond.
Thanee
Are we all at City Hall? Not entirely sure. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Tecumseh
As many people can be at City Hall as you like. I didn't want to force people there if they didn't want to go, or if they had something else to do.

You're free to let the Mayor know that you scoured the records of the University of Washington and didn't find any trace of Corinne Potter.
Thanee
Updated my post. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Tecumseh
I'll have the Mayor respond once she's done with her interview.
Gilga
I somehow missed a few posts where she questions Dennis and asks us out so I edited so it makes more sense.
Tecumseh
I wasn't too worried about it. We're doing about as well as asynchronous gaming can.
Jack_Spade
Alright, so we got paid 20 000 each, with 5000 extra come the election, correct?

590 posts would roughly translate to 59 karma and 118 for those catching up?
Tecumseh
Correct, correct, correct, and correct (if Potter wins the election). Take 30 knowledge karma as well.

I'll figure out the Contacts and other potential rewards later this weekend.

There are other things that could be done with this scenario - like inviting Corinne over for a meet-and-greet, talking to the assassin, or investigating who is behind this all - but we're a full six months into this and it seems like a good opportunity to wrap things up and move on to the next adventure. In my head I was planning on four months, but I've never been terribly good at estimating.
Jack_Spade
Six months?
Damn, time flies when you have fun.

Who wants to GM next, after the interlude?

I've got a little plot, but if someone has an idea they are burning for, please go ahead smile.gif
Thanee
Didn't Beta want to do the next one?

I have something as well... I hope you do not know the really old missions, as I would probably use the plot of one of those as the foundation. There were some fun ideas in there.

Bye
Thanee
Jack_Spade
Never played or followed missions, so have at it smile.gif
Tecumseh
If we're talking about capital-M Missions then I've only ever done two of them. One was the very first one (SRM 01-01), and another was ... I don't know. I can't even remember if it was 4E or 5E, so that narrows it down to about seven different seasons. It was actually for an earlier version of Mato, one that only had cyberarms but not cyberlegs.

If we're talking about the early modules, then I am familiar with some of them. I've never played any of them though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012