Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick questions about founding a magical group
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jason Farlander
Can you use karma pool to help create a magical group? If so, can all of the members creating the group use karma pool? If each person buys one die, is it 1 karma pool each or a total of 6 karma pool (one for the first die, two for the second, and 3 for the third)?
Cain
While the rules aren't expressly clear on this point, I believe that creating a magcial group falls under special karma use rules, that supercede the normal ones. The best answer-- although not the strict one-- is that you can't use karma pool to buy extra dice or rerolls.
Jason Farlander
Is Cain the only one with an opinion on the matter? Does anyone agree or disagree?
A Rodent of Unusual Size
There's no reason to say that they can't. It's the entire point of Karma Pool; to give you an extra bit of luck when performing an important action. I don't believe there's any stipulation where Karma Pool is limited to individual dice rolls, so those that want to increase their chances can spend Karma Pool to add dice to the action as per the standard rules (thus each character could spend one point to add +1 die).

If you have an entire group of people spending a Karma Pool die to a single act, it should be a pretty spectacular result.
shadd4d
I'm on no for this one. All Karma for the group comes from the founding member's good karma. There is a small loophole if you postulate that the group is a team, thus they can build a team karma which could help them out. I'm trying to remember, however, if you can be part of more than 1 team.

Don
toturi
QUOTE (Cain)
While the rules aren't expressly clear on this point, I believe that creating a magcial group falls under special karma use rules, that supercede the normal ones. The best answer-- although not the strict one-- is that you can't use karma pool to buy extra dice or rerolls.

Cain is wrong.

MITS p65.
Individually or as a group, members can "buy" additional die for each test at a cost of 3 Karma per die.

Austere Emancipator
toturi: The question was specifically about Karma Pool. I take it everybody already knew that you can buy extra dice at 3 Karma/die, but that has little to do with whether Karma Pool can be used, by whom and to what extent. I completely fail to see how that quote proves that "Cain is wrong".
shadd4d
I'd rule that individual karma pools cannot be used, yet a group karma could be used, if it is possible to be part of more than 1 team. I think that's out but I'd have to have my books to know for sure.

Don
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
toturi: The question was specifically about Karma Pool. I take it everybody already knew that you can buy extra dice at 3 Karma/die, but that has little to do with whether Karma Pool can be used, by whom and to what extent. I completely fail to see how that quote proves that "Cain is wrong".

Presumably he mistook that for a reference to Karma Pool rather than Good Karma.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012