Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dont leave home without it
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
KillaJ
Reading another thread got me wondering, what kind of must have gear do you carry that doesnt have any actual stats? I like earplugs myself. How about you guys?
Fresno Bob
Gloves, chewing gum... can't think of anything else.
Siege
Duct tape.
Multi-tool.
Fishing line.

-Siege
Connor
what Siege said and a towel.
Number 6
Chemical Lightsticks - Work underwater, as flares, etc

Camera - Never know when a little blackmail could be usefull.

Geiger Counter - Worth carrying it the one time you need it.

Illegal Drugs - For planting.

Smoke Grenades - Good all around.

Spraypaint - Marking trails, defacing stuff, whatever.

Wet-naps - If you get sprayed by something, or just to keep clean.

Siege
Not anywhere in Canon, but bleach.

Great for obscuring DNA evidence.

-Siege
Beast of Revolutions
Duct tape, a bag of tiny ball bearings for tripping up pursuit, spare batteries, and of course, rags soaked in chloroform.
GreatChicken
A 5,000T mallet, which my character can pull out of nowhere, always hits, and causes instant stun. Cannot be used in combat and deals no damage, and is mainly used to hit a fellow player/NPC spouting nonsense.

Gotta love senseless anime cameos.
Kagetenshi
Plenty of water, some chocolate or other sugar-bearing substance, a bag or backpack, multi-vitamins, aspirin or other analgesic, a roll of Ace bandage, bungie cords, and some good music.

~J
A Rodent of Unusual Size
This is from one of my last character sheets. I have a tendency to include minor movie and literary references in my characters, so don't mind any brand names. smile.gif I always seem to forget to add the pocket spray bottle of ammonia inspired by the Boondock Saints, but that was a bloody great idea.

ACE Bandage, Bottle of Aspirin, Breath Mints, Business Cards (assorted), Compact Mirror (filled with cornstarch instead of cosmetics), Couple of Bacchus brand Condoms, Dental Mirror, Disposable Surgical Gloves, Leather Gloves, Little Black Book (filled with hundreds of random names, cryptic notes, and addresses... several being of people who've pissed him off in the past), Matchbooks (from random hotels, gas stations, and corporations), Nails brand Zippo Lighter, Nicotene Gum, Notepad, Old Blues Harmonica, Pack of Red Apples Cigarettes, Pack of Tums, Pocket Flashlight (NightShot™ Low-Light), Rayban Sunglasses, Silver Liquor Flask with an engraving of Pan (and a Dikote-equivalent casing) filled with cheap booze, Subscription to Buxom Nuns, Swiss Army Knife, WD-40 Mini-Can, Wire Clippers, Worn-Down Pencil.
JaronK
Pocket Mirror and Disinfectant.

JaronK
Omega Skip
Sticky micro cameras and fiber optics, even though I heard they do have stats now as per SOTA 2063. Gotta love those Sam Fisher moments.

Oh, and a monowire yo-yo.
simonw2000
Gloves, bottle of sunflower oil (Or soy-oil), a Black Night chip (for blackmail), pocket mirror.
cykotek
Cigarettes and a lighter. People get suspicious if someone is just hanging around. Less so if someone just happened to stop and light up for a couple minutes. And if you don't smoke, learn to fake it.

Personally, I preferred to set up my lighter to double as an incendiary device, or micro-grenade. Cigarette cases are a good place to hide a one-shot flash-pak. Zip ties, multi-tool, latex gloves (2 pair), energy bar or two. That's for on the street. In the field or on a run, add in duct tape, industrial lubricant, a WD-40 clone, small pocket or dental mirror, fiber cam, spray bottle of bleach or similar DNA-nuker. Aspirin, camera, bottled water, irritant powder for use against scenting animals (dogs, etc), glowsticks.
Siege
Heh.

Power drill and mini-laser torch.

Evidence baggie and DNA swab.

-Siege
Entropy Kid
There's been some good lists. Add a handkerchief, pen, and an umbrella- for a group running in Seattle (or the Tir) one of those should always be handy. I would *not* want 2060's metroplex rain on me.
Cigarettes and a lighter.
I often wonder if the tabacco industry would last into the '60s, in the UCAS anyway. There are occasional references in some fiction, I'm talking about in the adventures, I've never read a novel, and some art, especially Berting stuff (check Virtual Realities 2). Although not based on anything, I figured the only people that'd still smoke are elves and dwarves born relatively early, when it was still normal to do. An image, prompted when reading Pattern Recognition, was of elves and dwareves having to special order their favorite brands from otaku (not the Matrix kind) in Japan, since no one else would go through the trouble of perfectly re-creating cartons of Lucky Strikes.

Back on track, yeah. Smokes and a lighter. Who cares if you don't smoke, provided there is still a large enough population of nicotine addicts a Face should always be ready to offer a smoke and a light to break the ice and get friendly with the security guard or whoever it is. Who knows, there might be lasers or something that you could use the smoke to see, if you forgot to pick up the thermal goggles....
Siege
The 2060 version of a clipboard.

For those moments you just have to look anonymously official. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Mimick
waterproof matches, box not book
ciggies, any brand
toothpicks, mint flavor
permanent marker, black
sticky notes, yellow
keychain - with flashlight and butane lighter
penknife
flask of 151 proof rum (about 12 ounces)
deck of bicycle playing cards, air cushion finish
and bubble gum, watermelon flavor

biggrin.gif [edit]almost forgot my digital wristwatch with stopwatch feature (leather band) and my shades

Just all the stuff I normally carry, also useful in shadowrun with a little imagination
Caine Hazen
My personal manservent Winston...he handles the details! biggrin.gif
kevyn668
Man you guys carry lots of stuff with you just to go to the corner Stuffer. smile.gif
Siege
The sad part is, it's mostly true.

I usually have an assortment of stuff on my person -- not as much now, but when I wore large coats with lots of pockets, I could always count on finding some bizarre stuff.

In my backpack, I have a flashlight, pocket knife, mini-first aid kit and an assortment of change, a snack and pen/paper.

-Siege
CobiWann
My God...all this stuff, and no one's mentioned CONDOMS?!?

Birth control, people! No wonder the world of 2063's so damn crowded...
CoalHeart
don't need condoms anymore. You just pay for innoculations, and injected yearly birth control
Siege
Ya know, it may be a sad commentary on my social life, but I don't expect to get laid while heading to the...ahem...Stuffher Shack.

-Siege
Phaeton
QUOTE (Siege)
Ya know, it may be a sad commentary on my social life, but I don't expect to get laid while heading to the...ahem...Stuffher Shack.

-Siege

Touche. biggrin.gif
Nikoli
Maybe that's why these folks are going to the stuffer shack, they're out of condoms
Siege
QUOTE (Phaeton)
QUOTE (Siege @ May 27 2004, 12:03 PM)

-Siege

Touche. biggrin.gif

You mean "touchy", don't you? grinbig.gif

-Siege
A Rodent of Unusual Size
QUOTE (kevyn668)
Man you guys carry lots of stuff with you just to go to the corner Stuffer. smile.gif

Who said it was their everyday compliment?

QUOTE (CobiWann)
My God...all this stuff, and no one's mentioned CONDOMS?!?

They were on my list.

QUOTE (CoalHeart)
don't need condoms anymore. You just pay for innoculations, and injected yearly birth control

...and who said they were used solely for birth control? 'Sides, I doubt most SINless would be willing or even able to score regular innoculations or birth control injections.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Siege)
QUOTE (Phaeton @ May 27 2004, 05:08 PM)

-Siege

Touche. biggrin.gif

You mean "touchy", don't you? grinbig.gif

-Siege

rotfl.gif
CobiWann
...and who said they were used solely for birth control? 'Sides, I doubt most SINless would be willing or even able to score regular innoculations or birth control injections.

Exactly! I find they make GREAT firebombs.

I quote the late, great Harry Carey...

"If you're going to grill out, make a pile of cool as high as a dwarf's ass, and then fill a baggie with lighter fluid, if you can't find a baggie, use a condom, UNLUBRICATED for Chrissakes, you're going to eat the burgers, not screw em!"

Nothing like a Ares Polearm filled with kerosene when the local elf-posers are in your face...

Ezra
Condoms are very useful for things other than their intended purpose.

Put 'em over your head (Cutting a small hole so you can breathe) and you have an instant mask....which actually does quite a bit to distort your features.

Pull a condom over the barrel of your gun to give it some rudimentary water-proofing.

Stretched and tied, they make a good tourniquet.

Like CobiWann said, they make good firebombs...you can fill them with pretty much anything that won't eat at the latex...and then throw it at someone later.

At a push, you can use them to store something in....blood for ritual samples, a finger-tip for later identification.

And the best thing is, no-one stops you for carrying them. biggrin.gif (Except maybe your mom....but every runner has his issues.)
fourstring_samurai

-Siege

rotfl.gif
CobiWann
QUOTE (Siege)

-Siege

But as a runner, shouldn't your PC's be prepared for anything at all times? biggrin.gif
Siege
QUOTE (CobiWann)

-Siege

But as a runner, shouldn't your PC's be prepared for anything at all times? biggrin.gif

Ya know, I thought about that.

But when my GM said we were supposed to rubber out, my imagination didn't stretch that far.

But I agreed to condomplate it.

-Siege
Number 6
QUOTE (Siege)
Not anywhere in Canon, but bleach.

Great for obscuring DNA evidence.

-Siege

Actually, even modern day forensics aren't really hampered by bleach any more.

...and who said they were used solely for birth control?

Ribbed, for her pleasure biggrin.gif

Hell, it's 2060, just get some bioware nubs grafted on...... eek.gif

Condoms are very useful for things other than their intended purpose.

Put 'em over your head (Cutting a small hole so you can breathe) and you have an instant mask....which actually does quite a bit to distort your features.

eek.gif Pull a condom over your head? You must be the troll version of John Holmes.
Nikoli
Strong enough for a troll, but made for a human...
Siege
Really? Hmm -- I'll have to remember that. I was thinking in terms of destroying blood samples though...

-Siege
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Number 6)

Hell, it's 2060, just get some bioware nubs grafted on...... eek.gif

What do you think the "Sensetive Skin" implant *is*? biggrin.gif
Nikoli
Internal release chemical gland, enzyte.
Siege
QUOTE (Number 6)

Ribbed?

Raises "boning" to a whole new level. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Phaeton
QUOTE (Siege)
QUOTE (CobiWann @ May 27 2004, 07:19 PM)

-Siege

But when my GM said we were supposed to rubber out, my imagination didn't stretch that far.

-Siege

*rimshot* grinbig.gif
Diesel
On topic: http://blackjack.dumpshock.com/stuff/FICTallineed.htm <- Blackjack compiled an interesting set of stuff there, I thought it might be pertinent.

Off: Siege. Wow. You're really bad and really good at the same time.
Kagetenshi
He's even better when the lights are out…

~J
Siege
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
He's even better when the lights are out…

~J

Oh bite...errr...oh blow...umm....kiss my...erk...

grinbig.gif

-Siege
otomik
Cyanide Capsule, because you know it takes to much time and ammo to do it with those 4L Holdout Pistols.
Large Mike

Smokes, lighter, cell, and a smile. (Can we tell who plays the face?)
Nikoli
Current fav character load out for just driving around

Toyota Elite with phtovoltaic paint, morphing plate and a rating 6 transponder library chip, in the trunk is a load bearing harness with 4 pistol mag pouches, 2 small gear pouches, 1 large gear pouch, and a large military rucksack, also in the trunk: OXSYS Artificial gill, fins and mask, 2 changes of clothes, 4 Neuro Stun grenades, 3 Freeze foam splash grenades, 1 freeze foam solvent grenade, 4 slip-spray grenades, shoebox of loaded clips for dart pistol (narco-ject), 2 changes clothes, spare microtransceiver with encryption, spare filter mask.

the ammo pouches carry several clips (don't have the sheet in front of me), the equipment pouches carry 5 plasteel retraints, 2 magemasks, AOD signal locator, jammer, US emitter/detector, survival kit, standard medical kit, a few spare gel packs for ruthenium, in the rucksack we have my sneaky armor (Heavy jumpsuit+helmet, armored jacket, face covering, forearm guards 12 scanners, all ruthenium coated) and my pistol gunsmith kit.

On me however is:
P-sec jacked in to datajack for those private calls, also on are the primary micro-transceiver w/encryption, a pager, a voice mask, a white noise generator, a pair of insulated gloves, at least 3 AOD trackers in case I need to plant them, Fake ID (Takeo Ishii, has permits for all guns), music playback unit and a nice variety of modern pop and late twentieth jazz, pair of wire cutters, and my primary air filter, other sundries might include a wetnap or three, a zippo, pack of mint flavored gum, small bottle of aspirin, pocket knife, 10 loose rounds of regular ammo (for cyber pistol reload), and usually a Browning Heavy pistol for the concealability with 2 spare clips.

this guy usually wears stuff with lots of pockets obviously
He's built around a concept of rapid response to job offers. You don't always have time or opportunity to go home and pickup your gear.
And he's a very socially adept pistol sam (friendly face, good looking and knows it, etiquette of 4)
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Siege)
Heh.

Power drill and mini-laser torch.

Evidence baggie and DNA swab.

-Siege

Ooo...

What's the damage code on a power drill?

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Siege)

-Siege

-Siege

Isn't condomplating the same as dermal sheathing?
Phaeton
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Siege @ May 28 2004, 04:04 AM)

-Siege

-Siege

Isn't condomplating the same as dermal sheathing?

*double rimshot* nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012