Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 20 questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Swarek_Ptolmeria
Some questions for yous SR gurus.

1) Every damage Level over the maximum instead increases its Power by two, so conversely does every two damage Powers below the minimum instead drop the damage Level by one? If I get hit by something that does, say, 5(D) damage, and I have, say, Armor 3, I only have to resist 2(D), right? What about if something hits me with 1(D) and I have Armor 9? Since Armor > Power, can I use Armor to effectively stage down the damage? So stage down by (Armor - Power)/2 damage Levels? That way something that deals 1(D) or 3(S) or 5(M) or 7(L) cannot hurt me if I wear Armor 9.

2) Other than Great Form spririts, does anyone in Astral Combat get Reach? Dragons, for instance? Any other spirits? Trolls and Shapeshifters astrally perceiving/projecting? How appropriate/uber would a new Metamagic be that gives you an increase in Astral Reach equal to your Grade?

3) Is there any way an Aspected conjurer can use their spell pool? Can they use it as Spell defence if they have no Sorcery skill? Would a Metamagic that allows spell pool to be used for Conjuring tests as for Sorcery be okay/uber?

4) What is the point in the Wreck(LOS) and Ram(T) spells? Aren't they just Powerball(Deadly) [restricted target: inanimate] spells? Since inanimate objects are unable to make Resistance tests, wouldn't getting a Force 1 Powerbolt be much more effective than a collection of Wreck/Ram spells specific to each thing you want to damage? Because a Powerbolt1(D) is still going to deal Deadly damage to something unable to resist.

5) MitS says that when creating an Ally it gets a random spell with the same limitations you know it with. If that particular spell is Fetish-limited, how is the fetish part satisfied? Can you build fetishes into the Ally Formula you make for your Ally? Could you make all their spells fethish-limited, and include that many fetishes in its Formula? Or would you only need one Fetish for each category, not one per spell?

6) Can an Ally use a focus that is bonded to its creator (seeing as the Ally gets its life-force from its summonner's Magic-point, it will be intuned to its master's magic signature?) If not, if an Ally is to use a focus (eg weapon or sustaining) can the master pay the karma to bond that focus to the Ally?

7) In a recent thread it was suggested to a player that he get his Ally the Movement Power. How is this done? Can they also get Conceal, Guard, Confuse, etc? (This thread got confused between Manifest/Materialize.) Can Allies learn Metamagic techniques from Free Spirits (if you paid the FS in karma and paid karma for your Ally to learn it)? Or could you go on an Astral Quest for these (or maybe to reduce their karma cost, as for learning spells? How much would giving an Ally additional Powers or Metamagics typically cost?

8) Can Free Spirits learn Conjuring?

9) Can you give a Spirit more than one task at once, eg, "Conceal and Guard my meatbody while I'm out, and Confuse anyone who notices it and tries to interact with it"? Or would you instead have to conjur three different Spirits can give them each one of the tasks?

10) Can you instruct a Spirit (with sufficient intelligence) to send a Watcher to find you as a messenger if a specific event occurs? Will Watchers (and other Spirits of yours) obey your Ally?

11) Does a Nosferatu mage's Magic rating fluctuate with their Essence? So Magic = Essence + Grade as normal, but Essence decreases over time and increases after feeds. Would this mean that Magic-loss is nigh on irrelevant to a Nosferatu mage because she just needs to feed again to regain her lost point?

12) When an Ally casts a spell, what is its Magic rating for determining if it causes Stun or Physical drain? Its Force? Its master's Magic rating? Its Sorcery skill level? Or is it able to cast spells at any force only incurring Stun drain along the same reasoning as Free spirits not needing to research spell formulae since they are so intuned with Magic?

13) If an Ally returns to its Metaplane and then comes back to the Prime Material, can it use this like other spirits to heal itself and to bipass wards and barriers? What kind of action is home-planeshift? Can it be made to avoid, say, astral combat or an approaching bullet? Can it be done from Materialized form as well as from purely Astral form?

14) Do / can Allies accompany a character on an Astral quest? Do they count toward the number of companions (which increases the Quest rating) or not?

15) Since a Spirit's primary combat mode will be Astral combat (using Sorcery/AstralCombat skill), if it Materialises and must engage in Unarmed combat, does it default to its Sorcery/AstralCombat skill?

16) Dispelling a spell requires you to resist the spell's drain-code as if you had cast it yourself (whether or not your dispelling was successful). What happens if the spell is Fetish-limited or Exclusive-limited? Do you have to have the appropriate Fetish with you (or take an Exclusive action) to dispell that spell? Do you resist drain using the limitation discounts, or as if it was the full-drain version? If I want to really deter an enemy mage from dispelling my spell-lock, could I ramp up a spell (using MitS alterations) to say +4(D) drain so that when I cast it I use 1 die for casting, and Sorcery-1 + Spell pool + Willpower to resist it. Eventually I'll get it cast and locked, but anyone who tries to dispell it is likely to knock themselves out trying?

17) I dislike the Armor spell not caring how many successes you get, and also being limited to either Physical or Astral plane. I want a spell that say has TN 4 and however many successes you get, you can distribute between your Physical and Astral armor values, each up to the Force of the spell. MitS says a spell is Physical if there is any doubt whether it is Physical or Mana, but Physical spells cannot affect the Astral. Are there no dual-natured spells? Manabolt is mana-based but can 'hit' a creature not Astrally present. So could you have a mana-based defence spell that protects you from both only-astrally and only-physically present opponents?

18) In the recent ?Teleportation? thread it was suggested that you could circumvent the "cannot break the STC" limitation by transforming yourself into an energy beam (such as 'Lightbearers' did). I have been thinking about that. You would presumably generate E=mc^2 of energy from your transformation. Electricity might be neat, but it's hard to control direction of charge flow, and you'd likely melt your conductor, dissipate and ground yourself quickly = dead & buried. If we're doing light, you'd instantanesouly accelerate to c and head off (presumably in the direction you were looking at the time of casting). But at the speed of light, time ceases to pass so you would arrive at the destination at (subjectively) the same time that you left your origin. That would make it an Instantaneous spell, which is handy for drain purposes. However, light is going to be dispersed by impure conductors such as atmosphere, glass, etc and it will also be partially reflected, refracted and transmitted each time it passes through a different conductor such as a window or a mirror etc. So your FastAsLightMage would have to be making damage resistance tests all the time to 'keep himself together'. If you set the colour of the light based on the Magic rating of the mage (IR=Magic 1, Red=Magic 2, ..., Blue=Magic 6, ..., UV=Magic 9+) then you could set the TN for such damage resistance tests to their Magic rating, since higher Magic = higher energy = shorter wavelengths = more diffraction etc. You could also transmit yourself down optic fibre... as long as you didn't encounter a booster station down the line (absorbing and amping a million Terrajoules = exploded booster + dead mage). One-way mirrors would be interesting too - if you can see through you can't get through, but if you can't see through you can get through... assuming it's safe to go through. You'd probably not want to cast it outside either, since if your lightpath happened to suddenly be intercepted by something shiny that reflected you off into space, your character would technically still be alive (and in suspended animation) but unable to act. And if ever he 'landed' he would not be able to cast Beam Me Back Scotty because he couldn't cast outside Earth and if he could, he'd miss.

19) no that's all actually. You can go home early. Sorry there are quite a few. I have been lurking on Dumpshock for a while and these are wonderments that occurred to me.
Kanada Ten
2) Other than Great Form spririts, does anyone in Astral Combat get Reach? Dragons, for instance? Any other spirits? Trolls and Shapeshifters astrally perceiving/projecting? How appropriate/uber would a new Metamagic be that gives you an increase in Astral Reach equal to your Grade?

Dual-Natured beings receive their natural reach in astral combat even if projecting. Weapon foci can also provide their reach. Initiates already get an astral pool, they don't need reach, too.

3) Is there any way an Aspected conjurer can use their spell pool? Can they use it as Spell defence if they have no Sorcery skill? Would a Metamagic that allows spell pool to be used for Conjuring tests as for Sorcery be okay/uber?

They don't have a spell pool, at all. They can get conjuring foci if they want more dice.

4) What is the point in the Wreck(LOS) and Ram(T) spells? Aren't they just Powerball(Deadly) [restricted target: inanimate] spells? Since inanimate objects are unable to make Resistance tests, wouldn't getting a Force 1 Powerbolt be much more effective than a collection of Wreck/Ram spells specific to each thing you want to damage? Because a Powerbolt1(D) is still going to deal Deadly damage to something unable to resist.

The Force of a spell must be at least 1/2 the OR of an object to affect it. Plus one must use the rules for breaking through barriers when needed. Ram and Wreck are simply lower drain versions of Powerbolt.

5) MitS says that when creating an Ally it gets a random spell with the same limitations you know it with. If that particular spell is Fetish-limited, how is the fetish part satisfied? Can you build fetishes into the Ally Formula you make for your Ally? Could you make all their spells fethish-limited, and include that many fetishes in its Formula? Or would you only need one Fetish for each category, not one per spell?

You cannot combine fetish and spirits. The Ally must simply have the fetish in its possession while casting the spell. And yes that is a serious limitation for a spirit.

cool.gif Can Free Spirits learn Conjuring?

Learn? No. Know? Sometimes. Typically only Totemonic/Avatar spirits can summon.

9) Can you give a Spirit more than one task at once, eg, "Conceal and Guard my meatbody while I'm out, and Confuse anyone who notices it and tries to interact with it"? Or would you instead have to conjur three different Spirits can give them each one of the tasks?

Yes and no. The tasks are each given one at a time, but they can do as you suggest provided they have the services. It would be very hard to have three spirits at the same time with those powers if none are great form, BTW.

10) Can you instruct a Spirit (with sufficient intelligence) to send a Watcher to find you as a messenger if a specific event occurs? Will Watchers (and other Spirits of yours) obey your Ally?

Yes. Yes if instructed to.

14) Do / can Allies accompany a character on an Astral quest? Do they count toward the number of companions (which increases the Quest rating) or not?

They can and yes.

15) Since a Spirit's primary combat mode will be Astral combat (using Sorcery/AstralCombat skill), if it Materialises and must engage in Unarmed combat, does it default to its Sorcery/AstralCombat skill?

Reaction is used in place of Unarmed at no penalty.

16)

Use whatever Drain code the caster did.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Swarek_Ptolmeria)
1) Every damage Level over the maximum instead increases its Power by two, so conversely does every two damage Powers below the minimum instead drop the damage Level by one? If I get hit by something that does, say, 5(D) damage, and I have, say, Armor 3, I only have to resist 2(D), right? What about if something hits me with 1(D) and I have Armor 9? Since Armor > Power, can I use Armor to effectively stage down the damage? So stage down by (Armor - Power)/2 damage Levels? That way something that deals 1(D) or 3(S) or 5(M) or 7(L) cannot hurt me if I wear Armor 9.
That +2 per extra level only applies to melee and drain. Ranged combat compares all successes before staging the damage. By the book, you still need 6 successes to stage S to no wound, even if the real TN is -8 and you still have to roll against a 2. I would support the autostaging you suggest for drain, shot ammo, and maybe melee (not sure about that one).
I think weapon foci can give astral reach, I need to recheck that later. Reach is limited in melee to 3 (troll with a spear), an open ended +1 reach per grade would give an excessive variance and make free spirits about as dangerous in astral combat as quadrapaligic deckers are in a melee.
Conjuring is hard by the rules. It's supposed to be hard. If you find it too hard in your games, try such a pool. Keep in mind that an aspected conjurer has less ways to spend karma than an aspected sorceror, so making their power easier may devalue sorcery. Give it a try and tell us how it goes.

Powerbolt 1 canly affect objects with an object resistance of 2 or less. Wreck and ram are just resticted target versions of powerbolt and powertouch, but they are easier to cast than the appropriate power spell for the same effect. That's what restricted spells do, they cause less drain.

Hmm.... tough one. Send the spirit on a quest to find some astral constructs (see Target: Awakened Lands) and help enchant them into fetishes.
6) Can an Ally use a focus that is bonded to its creator (seeing as the Ally gets its life-force from its summonner's Magic-point, it will be intuned to its master's magic signature?) If not, if an Ally is to use a focus (eg weapon or sustaining) can the master pay the karma to bond that focus to the Ally?

I see no reason why a spirit cannot bond a focus with karma. Ally spirits are sufficiently separate from the mage that foci should not be communal between them. Remember that foci have physical components, and a materialized spirit is more vulnerable than a totally astral spirit. Maybe if you enchant an astral construct to be a weapon focus it will materialize with the spirit...
7) In a recent thread it was suggested to a player that he get his Ally the Movement Power. How is this done? Can they also get Conceal, Guard, Confuse, etc? (This thread got confused between Manifest/Materialize.) Can Allies learn Metamagic techniques from Free Spirits (if you paid the FS in karma and paid karma for your Ally to learn it)? Or could you go on an Astral Quest for these (or maybe to reduce their karma cost, as for learning spells? How much would giving an Ally additional Powers or Metamagics typically cost?

Bound spirits cannot (by the books) learn metamagics or the metamagic like powers of free spirits. There are cases of mages having specialty metamagics that allow them to teach a spirit power to their ally (not free spirit power, just nature spirit type powers).
cool.gif Can Free Spirits learn Conjuring?

By the table of free spirit powers, no. I could see two things that may be seen as similar to conjuring. 1) Calling similar spirits. This would let a powerful free spirit (non-ally base) request the aid of spirits by a process as long as conjuring such a spirit would take. The called spirit always has the option of refusing to help at any time. 2) Banishing/Counterbanishing. Mages are annoying, trying to bind or banish you. This skill lets you roll more dice than usual to retaliate to such intrusions in your privacy. It also can be used to banish other spirits, but that is considered rude. Neither have any solid basis in the books.

Each takes a service.

You can instruct the watcher to "get a message from my ally and gring it to me" and tell your ally to tell the watcher when an event happens.
11) Does a Nosferatu mage's Magic rating fluctuate with their Essence? So Magic = Essence + Grade as normal, but Essence decreases over time and increases after feeds. Would this mean that Magic-loss is nigh on irrelevant to a Nosferatu mage because she just needs to feed again to regain her lost point?

Just use magic=essence(max 6)+grade. It's easy and fits the precident with shapeshifters.
12) When an Ally casts a spell, what is its Magic rating for determining if it causes Stun or Physical drain? Its Force? Its master's Magic rating? Its Sorcery skill level? Or is it able to cast spells at any force only incurring Stun drain along the same reasoning as Free spirits not needing to research spell formulae since they are so intuned with Magic?

Spirit's force.
13) If an Ally returns to its Metaplane and then comes back to the Prime Material, can it use this like other spirits to heal itself and to bipass wards and barriers? What kind of action is home-planeshift? Can it be made to avoid, say, astral combat or an approaching bullet? Can it be done from Materialized form as well as from purely Astral form?

The term "Prime Material" may anger some Dumpshockers, be on guard. I can't immediately find a time frame on stepping out like that, but it shouldn't take long, probably a complex action at most, free action seems reasonable though.

Any spirit can be taken along, but they get immediate chances to go free. (Force vs. Charisma), easier if it is the home metaplane for the spirit.

No, but it can learn unarmed combat for use in the astral. It's primary method of combat when physical should probably be spells.
16) Dispelling a spell requires you to resist the spell's drain-code as if you had cast it yourself (whether or not your dispelling was successful). What happens if the spell is Fetish-limited or Exclusive-limited? Do you have to have the appropriate Fetish with you (or take an Exclusive action) to dispell that spell? Do you resist drain using the limitation discounts, or as if it was the full-drain version? If I want to really deter an enemy mage from dispelling my spell-lock, could I ramp up a spell (using MitS alterations) to say +4(D) drain so that when I cast it I use 1 die for casting, and Sorcery-1 + Spell pool + Willpower to resist it. Eventually I'll get it cast and locked, but anyone who tries to dispell it is likely to knock themselves out trying?

Note that spell locks aren't in 3rd edition and I am answering questions based on 3rd edition knowledge. Anyway, I'd go with the base drain.
17) I dislike the Armor spell not caring how many successes you get, and also being limited to either Physical or Astral plane. I want a spell that say has TN 4 and however many successes you get, you can distribute between your Physical and Astral armor values, each up to the Force of the spell. MitS says a spell is Physical if there is any doubt whether it is Physical or Mana, but Physical spells cannot affect the Astral. Are there no dual-natured spells? Manabolt is mana-based but can 'hit' a creature not Astrally present. So could you have a mana-based defence spell that protects you from both only-astrally and only-physically present opponents?

Mana based illusions can affect purely physical creatures. But a mana based barrier only works against purely mana objects and a physical based barrier only works on objects with a physical component. It's two spells.
18) In the recent ?Teleportation? thread it was suggested that you could circumvent the "cannot break the STC" limitation by transforming yourself into an energy beam (such as 'Lightbearers' did). I have been thinking about that. You would presumably generate E=mc^2 of energy from your transformation. Electricity might be neat, but it's hard to control direction of charge flow, and you'd likely melt your conductor, dissipate and ground yourself quickly = dead & buried. If we're doing light, you'd instantanesouly accelerate to c and head off (presumably in the direction you were looking at the time of casting). But at the speed of light, time ceases to pass so you would arrive at the destination at (subjectively) the same time that you left your origin. That would make it an Instantaneous spell, which is handy for drain purposes. However, light is going to be dispersed by impure conductors such as atmosphere, glass, etc and it will also be partially reflected, refracted and transmitted each time it passes through a different conductor such as a window or a mirror etc. So your FastAsLightMage would have to be making damage resistance tests all the time to 'keep himself together'. If you set the colour of the light based on the Magic rating of the mage (IR=Magic 1, Red=Magic 2, ..., Blue=Magic 6, ..., UV=Magic 9+) then you could set the TN for such damage resistance tests to their Magic rating, since higher Magic = higher energy = shorter wavelengths = more diffraction etc. You could also transmit yourself down optic fibre... as long as you didn't encounter a booster station down the line (absorbing and amping a million Terrajoules = exploded booster + dead mage). One-way mirrors would be interesting too - if you can see through you can't get through, but if you can't see through you can get through... assuming it's safe to go through. You'd probably not want to cast it outside either, since if your lightpath happened to suddenly be intercepted by something shiny that reflected you off into space, your character would technically still be alive (and in suspended animation) but unable to act. And if ever he 'landed' he would not be able to cast Beam Me Back Scotty because he couldn't cast outside Earth and if he could, he'd miss.

No. Don't care what's been discussed, no.
19) no that's all actually. You can go home early. Sorry there are quite a few. I have been lurking on Dumpshock for a while and these are wonderments that occurred to me.

Cain
1. No. Personal armor, and the armor spell, is not hardened unless otherwise specified; so even a 1D attack against someone with a force-6 Armor spell still means he has to roll body against TN 2

2. Projecting/percieving trolls and shifters keep their bonus, and weapon foci add theirs.

3. No. Conjurers never can use spell pool.

4. See the other responses. Wreck and Ram have less drain, which is their advantage.

5. The ally has to hold onto the physical fetish. I suppose if you're building an homoniculi, you could work a fetish into it somewhere; but otherwise, the ally has to have it, just like the mage does.

6. Technically, no. The only focus an ally can use is an Inhabiting focus, assuming it was built with that power and the creator has provided it with a homoniculi.

7. By canon, no, no, and no. Allies can only learn the powers listed in MitS. Some people may house-rule otherwise, but that's their personal decision. (There is a mention in T:AL about Intuit shamans learning a specific metamagic to teach specific additional abilities to allies, but currently that's an NPC-only ability.)

8. Technially, yes. Can they use it? Doubtful. Would they? Probably not.

9. Yes, you can give a spirit multiple services to perform at once; each costs a service.

10. Yes, if you word things properly to the spirit and watcher.

11. Dunno. I'd go with Herald on this one.

12. Ally's force.

13. It can bypass wards and barriers, but technically it cannot heal itself in this fashion. Since it takes a complex action to do everything you describe, it can't shift planes to escape an attack.

14. Yes and Yes.

15. Spirits use Reaction at no penalty.

16. Caster's drain.

17. No, there are no spells that affect the astral and the physical simultaneously.

18. I don't mess with house rules like that, so I dunno. Personally, I wouldn't allow that spell into my games, so it's a YMMV situation.

19. No pooftas! grinbig.gif
Namergon
17) What you're looking for is multi-casting : the rules allow your character to cast multiple spells at once using 1 Complex Action, with increased drain. To obtain the "dual-natured" Armor spell, you'd just have to cast Physical Armor and Astral Armor.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)

The term "Prime Material" may anger some Dumpshockers, be on guard.

mad.gif

HULK SMASH!

~J

[ Spoiler ]
Joker9125
QUOTE (Swarek_Ptolmeria)
I dislike the Armor spell not caring how many successes you get, and also being limited to either Physical or Astral plane. I want a spell that say has TN 4 and however many successes you get, you can distribute between your Physical and Astral armor values, each up to the Force of the spell. MitS says a spell is Physical if there is any doubt whether it is Physical or Mana, but Physical spells cannot affect the Astral. Are there no dual-natured spells? Manabolt is mana-based but can 'hit' a creature not Astrally present. So could you have a mana-based defence spell that protects you from both only-astrally and only-physically present opponents?

Im sick of people complaining about the armor spell not caring about successes. It is one of my favorates because it is cumulative with ALL worn armor and gives you impact and balistic. Now give a mage normal armor with 8 points of balistisc and 4 points of impact and cast a force 6 armor spell and you would have 14 points of ballistic and 10 points of impact. Do you realize how fragging usefull this is? With a 10 body you could resist a 16D attack with a TN of 2 and have a good chance at not taking any damage at all. It dosent use extra successes to increase armor ratings because this spell effectively lowers your TN to resist physical attacks and it would be even more gamebreaking than it already is.

I want a spell that say has TN 4 and however many successes you get, you can distribute between your Physical and Astral armor values, each up to the Force of the spell

TN 4? That is way to low for what the spell does and for the munchkin illegal spell your asking for I'd reccomend a TN of 8 or 10 maybe even 12 because your making 2 armor effects at once. Armor has a high TN because its a REALLY USEFULL spell. Namergon is absolutely right you would have to use the multicasting rules(which I caint find at the moment can someone give me a page number. Thanks)

If you get a trauma dampener (when you have this you dont take light stun even from drain) and modify the armor spell to have a touch range and a increase body spell to be self only (spell design rules are in MiTS) they would both do L Stun and be free to cast. Now slap those on a sustaining focus and you could theoretically have a starting character mage with a body of 10 and 14 points of ballistic and 10 points of impact. That wouldnt take drain for either effect

Sorry if i seem to be ranting and raving but this is the released pent up aggression toward this particular type of complaint. smile.gif
Nikoli
Add that Amror 6 spell onto a sety of Normal clothes with a gel-pack installed (1/1 Hardened armor) is now 7/7 Hardened
Eyeless Blond
Yes, and if you use that particular (IMO ludicrous) interpretation of how the Armor spell works, then you can wear a Secure Long Coat over that, and end up with 7/7 armor, layered with the Secure Jacket (10/8 with the Armor spell) for 13/11 armor, 7/7 of that Hardened. But that's a stupid way to interpret how the spell works, and I seriously doubt any sane GM who'd allow it.
Joker9125
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Add that Amror 6 spell onto a sety of Normal clothes with a gel-pack installed (1/1 Hardened armor) is now 7/7 Hardened

I was about to say that that wouldnt work because it only adds to normal armor but when I checked the spell description on page 198 SR3 it says that this spell is compatable with all armor types. I assume Hardened armor falls under the All Armor types category. Which brings up another question. Would that also apply to drone armor?
Nikoli
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Yes, and if you use that particular (IMO ludicrous) interpretation of how the Armor spell works, then you can wear a Secure Long Coat over that, and end up with 7/7 armor, layered with the Secure Jacket (10/8 with the Armor spell) for 13/11 armor, 7/7 of that Hardened. But that's a stupid way to interpret how the spell works, and I seriously doubt any sane GM who'd allow it.

You can't layer armor that has a Gel pack option. It's that or nothing.

It also makes it easier to get knocked down

You glow

The magic enhances the armo's effectiveness, what's wrong with that?
BitBasher
Nikoli is right it explicitly states that gel packed armor cannot be layered with other armor.
Cain
The Armor spell doesn't enhance the usefulness of other armor; it's merely cumulative with it. So, with the setup you describe, you'd end up with 7/7 overall and 1/1 hardened. The same applies to drone armor.

Just because it's cumulative doesn't mean it shares the same properties. If I'm wearing a lined coat (4/2) with four levels of chemseal and a force-5 Armor spell, does that mean I have 7 against chemical attacks, or do I have 11? Based on your argument, I'd have 11.
BitBasher
No, you wouldn't have 11, because the spell specifically states that it adds its rating to the ballistic and impact of your worn armor. Cehm Seal is neither ballistic nor impact. Likewise the spell does not say non-hardened or soft armor, it just says worn armor. By the description of the spell if your worn armor is Milspec Hardened then it raises the Ballistic and Impact levels of your Hardened Milspec Armor. If you are wearing A Lined Coat then it increases the non-hardened ballistic and impact of the Lined Coat.
Swarek_Ptolmeria
Thanks k10 and Herald.

The term "Prime Material" may anger some Dumpshockers, be on guard.

If "Prime Material" is a bad word, what is a good name for the non-astral, non-metaplane plane? I didn't mean to offend.

an open ended +1 reach per grade would give an excessive variance and make free spirits about as dangerous in astral combat as quadrapaligic deckers are in a melee.

LOL - good point

The Force of a spell must be at least 1/2 the OR of an object to affect it. Plus one must use the rules for breaking through barriers when needed.

Does this also apply to Elem. Manip spells?

The tasks are each given one at a time, but they can do as you suggest provided they have the services. It would be very hard to have three spirits at the same time with those powers if none are great form, BTW.

As long as you were in three different domains simultaneously (eg on mountain, in a forest, under the sky, etc) and since they would be guarding your immobile meatbody they could do so from dusk til dawn?

Reaction is used in place of Unarmed at no penalty

Seriously? Wow - because IIRC a Materialized spirit gets a +10 to its Reaction... so if you have decent Force you could easily be talking 15 Reaction... which is a lot of dice to roll for Unarmed Combat - they'd be unbeatable! Especially when combined with immunity to normal weapons!

Use whatever Drain code the caster did.

Even though the dispeller does not have the fetish that is required to reduce the drain?

Note that spell locks aren't in 3rd edition and I am answering questions based on 3rd edition knowledge. Anyway, I'd go with the base drain.

Sorry - by spell lock I meant a Sustaining Focus as I've seen it referred to as a lock on these forums occasionally.

Maybe if you enchant an astral construct to be a weapon focus it will materialize with the spirit...

That would be awesome - got any more info on such a concept?

There are cases of mages having specialty metamagics that allow them to teach a spirit power to their ally (not free spirit power, just nature spirit type powers).

That'd be fine - have Movement and Conceal on my Ally would be fine - wouldn't need Astral Gate etc Free Spirit powers. Is there a canon sourcebook that deals with giving Allies the Powers of Nature spirits?

Cheers
A Rodent of Unusual Size
QUOTE (Swarek_Ptolmeria)
If "Prime Material" is a bad word, what is a good name for the non-astral, non-metaplane plane? I didn't mean to offend.

It's simply referred to as the physical plane.

Seriously? Wow - because IIRC a Materialized spirit gets a +10 to its Reaction... so if you have decent Force you could easily be talking 15 Reaction... which is a lot of dice to roll for Unarmed Combat - they'd be unbeatable! Especially when combined with immunity to normal weapons!

No, it gets a +10 to its initiative. Reaction is usually equal to its Force plus half of its Quickness multiplier (effectively making it the same as anyone else with similar Quickness and Intelligence stats).

That would be awesome - got any more info on such a concept?

The rules for Enchanting are in Magic in the Shadows and the rules for astral constructs are in Target: Awakened Lands. The problem is that you need an Enchanting Shop to enchant items, and due to the nature of astral constructs, that's not something you're likely to find on the astral plane.

You'd be better off researching a spell (doubtful) or metamagic technique (more likely) that would allow something like that to be pulled off. And even then, there's more problems to be overcome, but that's something to consider if you somehow manage to get around the big one of making it possible to begin with.

That'd be fine - have Movement and Conceal on my Ally would be fine - wouldn't need Astral Gate etc Free Spirit powers. Is there a canon sourcebook that deals with giving Allies the Powers of Nature spirits?

Not officially. There's only rumors that it's possible, and only as practiced by a remote tribe. I've never had a problem creating an ally spirit that was pretty buff by the canon rules anyway; you just have to be smart about what spells and skills you give them, and it usually helps if you do it along a theme rather than what you think is "cool."
Cain

The Force of a spell must be at least 1/2 the OR of an object to affect it. Plus one must use the rules for breaking through barriers when needed.

Does this also apply to Elem. Manip spells?

Yes and no. No, in that they can potentially hurt vehicles/objects exactly in the same fashion as any other ranged attack. Yes, in that their secondary effects may not hurt the object unless OR is overcome. There are some specific exemptions, though.
As long as you were in three different domains simultaneously (eg on mountain, in a forest, under the sky, etc) and since they would be guarding your immobile meatbody they could do so from dusk til dawn?

If you do it right, yes. By travelling astrally, you'll have left at least some of those domains; but you can give each and every one a command and have them keep it up until dawn.
RedmondLarry
(Sorry for bringing up this thread again, but I was out of town in early June...)

QUOTE (Swarek_Ptolmeria)
7) In a recent thread it was suggested to a player that he get his Ally the Movement Power.
Perhaps someone was confused with the Three-Dimensional Movement power, which an Ally Spirit gets for free (MITS.109 & 111).

QUOTE (Swarek_Ptolmeria)
As others have said, one spirit can usually use more than one power at a time. The following spirit powers are Exclusive, however, as listed in their descriptions:
Engulf (SR3.263)
Search (SR3.265)
Also, Elementals can only perform one service at a time (Elemental Services, SR3.187)

QUOTE (Swarek_Ptolmeria)
16) If I want to really deter an enemy mage from dispelling my spell-lock, could I ramp up a spell (using MitS alterations) to say +4(D) drain so that when I cast it I use 1 die for casting, and Sorcery-1 + Spell pool + Willpower to resist it. Eventually I'll get it cast and locked, but anyone who tries to dispell it is likely to knock themselves out trying?
Unfortunately, you can't use any Sorcery dice on the Drain Resistance Test (SR3.183, top right corner), even though you can allocate some Conjuring dice to the Conjuring Drain Test. You are right about the drain when dispelling, though, and magicians attempt it at their peril. Some attackers will attempt to destroy a Sustaining Focus with a mana spell (SR3.176, 5th paragraph in right column). You can consider having your Ally Spirit absorb the drain, but it will become grumpy if used this way. The Ally can, however, use its Sorcery Skill in its Drain Test (Resist Drain, MITS.110).

You may start thinking about using this technique with Quickening, but remember that when Quickening you have to resist the drain of the spell twice. The advantage with Quickening, however, is that you can put in a some extra Karma to make the dispelling harder (MITS.77).

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Reach is limited in melee to 3 (troll with a spear)...
Great Dragons have reach four (SR3.269), even without picking up a weapon (Battle Axe?). A Troll with Telescoping Cyberarms and a Spear would get reach 3 normally, but would count as 4 if facing someone else with reach 4 or greater.

QUOTE (Cain)
17.  No, there are no spells that affect the astral and the physical simultaneously.
The description of Spell Shield (MITS.148) indicates that a Spell Shield works on both the physical and astral planes, but it's obviously a special case.
Zazen
QUOTE (BitBasher)
No, you wouldn't have 11, because the spell specifically states that it adds its rating to the ballistic and impact of your worn armor. Cehm Seal is neither ballistic nor impact. Likewise the spell does not say non-hardened or soft armor, it just says worn armor. By the description of the spell if your worn armor is Milspec Hardened then it raises the Ballistic and Impact levels of your Hardened Milspec Armor. If you are wearing A Lined Coat then it increases the non-hardened ballistic and impact of the Lined Coat.

And if you're wearing the Sleeping Tiger line with some form-fitting body armor, you get Ballistic: 31, Impact: 31. Groovy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012