Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberdeck Construction Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cray74
To break this question into its own thread...

Do *wireless* FUPs exist in canon? If so, what book and page number?

I've seen wireless FUPs mentioned on Dumpshock Forums with regards to a deck making program, but I can't find them in Matrix or Target:Matrix.

FUPs: found.
Wireless interfaces: found.
Wireless FUPs: not found.
Phaeton
question.gif What IS an FUP, anyway?
Orient
FUP stands for "Fuchi Universal Port". They're universal slots that allow you to hook up peripherals to your cyberterminal. Things like keyboards, printers, displays.. cyberterminals are described as being highly modular things.

The Wireless Interface described in Matrix is for connecting to the Matrix itself, not to peripherals. It's split into two parts: 1) the Transmission Device - things like cellular links, laser links, etc. and 2) the Interface - software and hardware that translates Matrix signals to and from the transmission medium.

Without the Interface, the links don't create a jackpoint that allows a Matrix connection, but they *can* be used for plain old data transmission. More info on data transmission can be found in Cannon Companion p.54 and various parts of SR3.

As far as I know, there aren't any rules that deal specifically with wireless FUPs, but you could certainly combine individual peripherals with different wireless data transmission devices mentioned in other sourcebooks. Maybe a particular character is jacked directly into a secure host at a junction box, and has video/audio connected to a radio link (Transmission Device, no Interface needed) so nearby companions can watch his progress.
mfb
that would be my answer. plug a rating 1 radio into your FUP--voila, wireless FUP.
Necro Tech
Just a curiosity, why do you want a wireless FUP? The periphials really don't need to be and it would be easier and cheaper to hook them to the car/home trid/sub-orbital/cyberzombie with a wireless link and call said hub. I still want to know because I always need sneaky new methods for mayhem.
Cray74
QUOTE (Necro Tech @ Jun 2 2004, 12:34 AM)
Just a curiosity, why do you want a wireless FUP?

It was mentioned in other threads. I was just trying to track down the rules for future reference, should I want to use them.

The periphials really don't need to be and it would be easier and cheaper to hook them to the car/home trid/sub-orbital/cyberzombie with a wireless link and call said hub.

Where are the rules for wireless hubs?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012