Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Silly questions about vehicle combat...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
arkadi
The other day I realized that even though I've been running Shadowrun for about a year now, we haven't had any vehicle combats. I plan correct this and so I've been going through BBB and Rigger 3 Revised to be able to run a decent vehicle combat.
A few questions came to my mind while I was doing this (and I know these are really rather silly questions, but bare with me!):

1. Can a non-rigger character who's driving a vehicle shoot and drive? Driving is, as I understand, supposed to be a Complex action, so doesn't that mean that they really can't shoot while driving...?

2. Do driving characters have spend a Complex action every Combat turn in order to drive, and what happens if they don't do so and opt to shoot instead? (Yes, this is a silly question!)

Kagetenshi
I believe that only driving actions are complex, and as such someone can do other stuff as long as they aren't accelerating, braking, maneuvering, hiding, etc. etc. etc.

Keep in mind that it's early and I don't play non-Rigger vehicle-centric characters, so this may be incorrect.

~J
Capt. Dave
QUOTE (arkadi @ Jun 7 2004, 02:17 AM)

1. Can a non-rigger character who's driving a vehicle shoot and drive? Driving is, as I understand, supposed to be a Complex action, so doesn't that mean that they really can't
shoot while driving...?

I'd say they can shoot and drive as long as they aren't performing a vehicle maneuver, as Kagetenshi said. Of course, you might want to apply some modifiers.

2. Do driving characters have spend a Complex action every Combat turn in order to drive, and what happens if they don't do so and opt to shoot instead? (Yes, this is a silly question!)

I don't think so, if you're just driving, because then drivers would never be able to observe in detail. So no reading traffic signs. Of course, if you're going 200 kph down an alleyway, braking, ramming, etc., then matters are different.

If they decide not to drive for a Combat Turn, I would call for a crash test. As crash tests become more difficult the faster you go, it seems a good measure. After all, no ill is really going to come to your character if he lets go of the wheel for a few seconds while going 20kph, but 200..?

All my opinion, of course.
hobgoblin
crap, disregard, all is said that needs to be said. you can nicely shoot and drive as long as you have more then one initiative passes to burn as you need one to keep the vehicle from crashing smile.gif
arkadi
Ahh, now I understand. Thank you guys!
xizor
so to prevent crash tests, you need to spend at least 1 complex action per
combat turn driving and you can spend the rest of the time talking on the cell phone, with out taking a crash test.

is this corect in your inturpritation of the rules?
BitBasher
That's what's directly stated in the vehicle control rules, not really an interpretation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012