Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pocket Computers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
kuroko
Here's something for people who want the tech in SR.
http://www.oqo.com/hardware/basics/
BitBasher
That thing is vaporware, been delayed to market for liek the last 3 years =P
GreatChicken
I thought I threw the link up here before. sarcastic.gif

....They'd better hurry. Similar products are coming up.
Neon Tiger
So that's mostly what SR describes Pocket Secretaries. Just slap a GPRS cell phone to it.

What would the price be for that thing, IRL of course?
GreatChicken
Estimated price is about $1500 - $2000 US. Per unit with the werks.
eidolon
You've got to be kidding me. "The only computer you'll need."

Unless you'd like to type a document...or see anything without a magnifying glass...

But then again, the masses have been convinced that they NEED to message people so badly, that they have to have a cell phone that supports AIM.
GreatChicken
Actually, I wouldn't mind. Power wise, it still sucks vs laptops and desktops, but this concept makes the most viable PDAs to date. We don't buy portable Mp3 players, nor do we get an N-Gage, nor do we get a portable MPEG movie player. We simply buy that to potentially have all of the above. That, and it doesn't use watered down PDA word processing software.

Microsoft seems to be coming up with another one, but it looks uglier. The only thing over it is an extra 10GB in disk space.
Cray74
QUOTE (GreatChicken)
Actually, I wouldn't mind. Power wise, it still sucks vs laptops and desktops, but this concept makes the most viable PDAs to date. We don't buy portable Mp3 players, nor do we get an N-Gage, nor do we get a portable MPEG movie player. We simply buy that to potentially have all of the above. That, and it doesn't use watered down PDA word processing software.

Microsoft seems to be coming up with another one, but it looks uglier. The only thing over it is an extra 10GB in disk space.

That about sums it up. This is a (big) pocket computer with (almost) all the software of a desktop or laptop. No Pocket MS Office or Pocket .pdf or a Pocket Browser: the "real" deal.

As for typing, IIRC, the OQO is supposed to have Bluetooth wireless and USB keyboards. Grab one of those Bluetooth keyboards or any USB keyboard, and you're good to go. You can find adequate near-pocket sized keyboards, I'm sure.

Of course, I do note that OQO smells of vaporware. It's been promising since...when did I first notice it?...2000? 2001?

If I heard correctly (ah, found the press release), OQO might've been wasting effort by trying to get a "LiquidMetal" casing for the computer. Geez, just go with something easily formable, like stainless steel or titanium.
Accel
QUOTE (SR3 @ p. 288)
Pocket Secretary: The pocket secretary is an office for the businessman on the go. The compact unit functions as a cellular phone, a computer ( 100 Mp) digital camera and filling system...

Well, now that I reread that part, it strongly reminded me of this:

http://www.directmobilephones.com/xda_II.htm

It has all: Phone, pda with an virtual keyboard, mobile word/excel/outlook, camera, bluetooth and IR, media player for wmv and mp3, at least, and one SD-Slot for memory and other extensions (wlan, e.g.)

Drawbacks are few but unignorable ones: Relatively short battery strength if fully activated (gsm or gprs/bluetooth/background lighting) and as fragile as any other cell phone.

So we do already have something that comes very close to SR's pocket sec.
hobgoblin
hmm, i recall seeing something from sony that looked like the one in the fist post. it was allso running normal laptop software but with a similar size...
Number 6
QUOTE (Neon Tiger)
So that's mostly what SR describes Pocket Secretaries. Just slap a GPRS cell phone to it.

What would the price be for that thing, IRL of course?

My sister bought herself a Palmpilot/phone with color screen and lots of memory for like $300. Has voice dialing and everything, no camera though.
Cursedsoul

Chances are if Microsoft is coming out with it they stole it from someone else. I hate you Bill Gates. You and your rampant thievery need to be kicked in the nuts with a dikoted spiked boot.

Of course I'm not surprised because MS has stolen everything else. Hell, Billy boy stole the company from his partner (name escapes me, Paul something or other I think. I really need to take a computer maintenance course again and get those videos we watched), stole DOS and put a GUI on it...ugh. Even uninformed goobers like me know what he's done.

Yay for an inefficient, poorly planned, blatantly corrupt Judicial system. Wheeee silly.gif

Note: I'm not claiming all involved in the Judicial system are corrupt pieces of crap, but the system itself is. Stupid unholy alliance formed back in the 1860's. mad.gif
GreatChicken
Of course I'm not surprised because MS has stolen everything else. Hell, Billy boy stole the company from his partner (name escapes me, Paul something or other I think.

Clue: Boss of Macintosh, producers of Apple. Gates started out as a subsidary, then stole the GUI from apple to put in Windows 1.0 (sold to Japan on their NEC desktops). When the law finally caught up and Gates was ordered to cease production of 1.0, he cleverly jumped into a loophole by releasing 3.0. Which was different enough from Mac OS GUI such that copyright issues couldn't be brought into play.

...something to think about. Who are the ones who whine the most about copyright issues? Seems to me that the companies who started off as pirates in the first place do that more often than the ones who started legit....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012