Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [Duels] Is Duels dead?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bearclaw
My local game store is dumping series one and two, and I don't see anything anymore about series three. Just my luck. Another cool Shadowrun related game that I liked but no one else even heard of.
Caine Hazen
Offical word to us "volenteers" is that the game is on Hiatus...until Topps finishs runnign WK into the ground and lets em get back to their own thing....
Mr.Platinum
I was talking to my Local comic guy and he said it was canned , but officially i can't say cause i ain part of wiz kid.
TinkerGnome
That's a shame... but I really had little use for Duels.

If they'd done something more along the lines of other Wizkid clicky games, I'd have been all over the models for use in regular SR games. I mean, instead of the giant models not good for much besides sitting on your shelf, if they'd done dozens of smaller models, I'd have bought quite a few. Mainly because I can't find my paints and I'm short on models for SR.
Mr.Platinum
It is a shame that they went down, thought all the figures kicked ass.
Bigity
I too, would rather have something along the lines of MK models or the D&D stuff that Wizards is putting out currently. Could be used for both games that way.
Young Freud
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)

If they'd done something more along the lines of other Wizkid clicky games, I'd have been all over the models for use in regular SR games.  I mean, instead of the giant models not good for much besides sitting on your shelf, if they'd done dozens of smaller models, I'd have bought quite a few.  Mainly because I can't find my paints and I'm short on models for SR.

Word. The first time I heard that WK was going to make a SR-based figure game, I was excited. But when I caught the Duels figures, I had a feeling it wouldn't take off.

The first thing was where were you going to find an area large enough to decently play a game. A tabletop in WK's and other minature battles is like a few square blocks, maybe a full kilometer, but with the Duels game, it's more like a street alley.

I'd preferred a simplified version of an older combat system, like what had happened with MW: Dark Age, perhaps using DMZ as the basis. And even if you didn't use the supplied rules, you could have a decent mini for RPG play.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Young Freud)
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)

If they'd done something more along the lines of other Wizkid clicky games, I'd have been all over the models for use in regular SR games.  I mean, instead of the giant models not good for much besides sitting on your shelf, if they'd done dozens of smaller models, I'd have bought quite a few.  Mainly because I can't find my paints and I'm short on models for SR.

Word. The first time I heard that WK was going to make a SR-based figure game, I was excited. But when I caught the Duels figures, I had a feeling it wouldn't take off.

The first thing was where were you going to find an area large enough to decently play a game. A tabletop in WK's and other minature battles is like a few square blocks, maybe a full kilometer, but with the Duels game, it's more like a street alley.

I'd preferred a simplified version of an older combat system, like what had happened with MW: Dark Age, perhaps using DMZ as the basis. And even if you didn't use the supplied rules, you could have a decent mini for RPG play.

Aye. On the few times that I HAVE seen the Duels miniatures, I thought, "Action figures? O_o"

I'd like something smaller, myself. Warhammer 40k-sized.

...On another note, converting Tau units into SR stats would make for some interesting Evil GM tools...vegm.gif
Kagetenshi
Meh, I liked the things the way they were. Can't really connect to the fiddly little miniatures. I like my electronics to be miniaturized, not my old-fashioned toys.

I do so hope that it comes back to life. I need to get around to finishing my collection of Wave 2.

~J
cubivore
It may be pouring salt on the wounds, but it's interesting to see what would have been: Shadowrun Series 3. (Article dated 28 Feb 2003)

Some of them look kinda weird...
Young Freud
QUOTE (cubivore)
It may be pouring salt on the wounds, but it's interesting to see what would have been:  Shadowrun Series 3.  (Article dated 28 Feb 2003)

Some of them look kinda weird...

You said it. That first one looks like a cybered up ghoul, maybe a cyberzombie. That vampire looks bad, with those hokey fangs ruining an otherwise decent figure.

My favorites out of that lineup look to be the Saeder-Krupp robocop and the Amerindian with the feathers coming out of his spinal column replacement. The Scottish metahuman (he lacks the tusks and bone deposits to be an ork or troll, and appears to be as tall as the SK robocop figure, so he's not a dwarf. Perhaps he's a chubby elf) is not without his charm, though.
cheezypoof714
So all of series 2 was released and none of the 3rd series?
cleggster

If Duels is dead, whatever happened to those Rules that were going to add that would let you have adventures with them. Useing the skills as a team instead of rushing one another and shooting. If they aren't going to continue the run, how about posting those rules for our use.

Reverendo_Fastjack
QUOTE (Bigity)
I too, would rather have something along the lines of MK models or the D&D stuff that Wizards is putting out currently. Could be used for both games that way.

The problem is that Wizkids cant make figures on that size because Ral Partha owns the rights of Shadowrun figures (yep, those old ones) and Wizkids CANT make the figures in that size. Soy they decided to make them in a different way...the actual shadowrun duels figures
Thanos007
The problem is that Wizkids cant make figures on that size because Ral Partha owns the rights of Shadowrun figures (yep, those old ones) and Wizkids CANT make the figures in that size. Soy they decided to make them in a different way...the actual shadowrun duels figures

The way I understand it is that they can't make any of the previous miniatures due to their contract with Ironwind Metals, who are currently rereleasing the RP minis. They would be free to put out completely new ones.

Thanos
Bigity
Agreed. More "mini"atures and less "action" figures.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (cleggster)
If Duels is dead, whatever happened to those Rules that were going to add that would let you have adventures with them. Useing the skills as a team instead of rushing one another and shooting. If they aren't going to continue the run, how about posting those rules for our use.

I'd be interested as well. Even a first draft would give US something to work from. We'll all modify the rules anyway, so it's not like they need to be perfectly polished.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012