Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pain resistance vs. high pain tolerance
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheCat
The adept power Pain Resistance works equally well on the physical and stun condition monitors.

The edge High Pain Tolerance says "resist the effects of one box of physical or mental damage" and "In all other respects, High Pain Tolerance uses the same rules as the adept power Pain Resistance."

Setting aside the fact that allowing non-adepts to have this power sucks...

Here's my question - am I right to think the following?

* An adept with 2 levels of pain resistance can ignore 2 boxes of physical damage and 2 boxes of stun damage simultaneously.
* a character with two levels of High Pain Tolerance can ignore 2 boxes of physical damage or 2 boxes of stun damage or 1 box of each, but not 2 boxes of each.
A Rodent of Unusual Size
That would be the basic difference, yes.
GreatChicken
The adept power is more worth it pound for pound. At levels 2, whereas the edge blocks 2 damage at the max, the adept one blocks a total of 4. Twice the amount is nothing to sneeze at, even if the max damage you can resist for any damage type is 2. Why does letting a non-adept have a watered down version of an adept ability suck, especially when it takes up space in the Flaw/Edge department (more easily houseruled away) instead of skills and abilities?
TheCat
Well, now that people have confirmed that the adept version is twice as effective as the edge version, it doesn't suck so much.

I'm still in favor of adepts having abilities nobody else can match exactly, which is why I'd rather the edge didn't exist.
paul_HArkonen
well you could always take both, get the best of both worlds, I always wanted to be able to ignore serious wounds.
FlakJacket
Some people can just deal with pain better than others. Whilst you or I would likely be screaming in agony or passed out, they can still function.

Know a guy that basically ran his truck into a tree and practically eneded up with the engine block in his lap. First cop on the scene has a look and calls in that he's dead from the way he looks, only to be rather surprised when he crawls out the back window. Docs were saying that there was no way in hell that he should have been able to do that with the injuries he had.
TheCat
QUOTE (paul_HArkonen)
well you could always take both, get the best of both worlds, I always wanted to be able to ignore serious wounds.

Actually, you could take:

Pain Resistance 6 (cost 2.5 power points geased)
High Pain Tolerance 3 (cost 6 development points)

Ignore serious stun and serious physical damage + 3 boxes of choice. Wow.
paul_HArkonen
gives a whole new meaning to biting the bullet
Kanada Ten
There really should be some kind of Pain Rage edge that gives a general combat dice pool for every box of physical or stun damage (one or the other).
paul_HArkonen
that would be interesting

GM: you take a serious wound, you watch as the bullet passes into your chest and out through your back.

PC: I smile at the guy who shot me and open up on full auto,

GM: you know you get mods for the wound right
PC: *hands the GM his sheet,* yup possitive ones, and I ignore the negative ones from the wound
*grabs a huge number of dice*

GM: ******
Kanada Ten
Better make the dice equal to the number of "felt" boxes, not just the number taken. Probably a 4 or 6 point edge.
sidartha
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
There really should be some kind of Pain Rage edge that gives a general combat dice pool for every box of physical or stun damage (one or the other).

I don't have my books with me but I think the Adrenal Gland work in such a fashion for physical damage taken.
If I'm wrong someone say so smile.gif
BitBasher
I'm still in favor of adepts having abilities nobody else can match exactly, which is why I'd rather the edge didn't exist.
I already banned the edge. Ta-DA! fixed! biggrin.gif
Smiley
QUOTE (paul_HArkonen)

My last character did just that and it was BAD ASS. Especially when you consider that when you're in hand-to-hand combat and you get wounded, you tend to keep getting wounded because your target numbers are rising. The edge AND the adept power gave me a chance to dish out some hurtin' right back after a lucky shot or two.
Wounded Ronin
What? The adept power counters out both stun and physical simultaneously? I always thought that if you wanted to be fully immune to TN penalties you'd need 20 levels of Pain Resistance.

Grar...that's so annoying. Freaking players wanting so much power....

I remember back when *I* started playing SR. My characters died every other game. *That*'s the way a real man plays.
Smiley
Wanting more power is one thing. Having to spend 10 power points on pain resistance would be another. Even for the benefit, which is considerable, that's WAY too much. Damn.

Also, the old SRs were bad ass, don't get me wrong. But dying every other game sucks. I LIKE having a character that i can put some time into.
Kagetenshi
SR character creation is kinda involved for the D&D-style "Roll up a character while we finish the combat you died in" action.

~J
Smiley
I'm still working on fine-tuning the same character I've been creating for the past week or two. But, ohhhhhhh, the rewards...

Perfection takes time.
Wounded Ronin
Yeah, when I started out I guess I did sort of have a killer GM.

But it all worked out well. It made me study in-game tactics pretty thoroughly so that nowadays I tend to be pretty tactically careful compared to other people I've played with.

It also made me strongly favor physads as my character type. They have the quickest creation. I got really really good at banging out a physad in no time at all and making sure to take low Resources so that I wouldn't get bogged down in the EQ accounting stage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012