Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cal free source book, is it worlth it?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dillinger
yo guys i was thinkin about maybe picking up the cal free sourcebook, is it worlth the money? i've been lookin around for a review of it with no avail. for those of you that mite have it: what all does it cover? considering that its kinda a old book does it by any chance have info about san fran and the imperial invasion?

thanks for any help guys.
Crimsondude 2.0
Yes it has the info.

Basically, it's only useful if your have plans for California that require more information than the timeline provides. Same as every locale book.
Synner
Calfree has all the goods on the California situation up to around 2059. The Imperial occupation, San Fran, Los Angeles, the Northern Crescert, Hetsbyland, the Mojave etc. However Year of the Comet, which covers the worldwide events of 2061, throws one huge spanner in the works with General Saito breaking from post-catastrophe Japan and establishing the California Protectorate. This gets further developed in the latest book on North America and California, Shadows of North America and in Threats 2.
Dillinger
i was also thinkin about pickin up the aztlan book, it doesent really seem like all that much info has been released on aztlan or aztechnology's homeland in general. i know the source book for that ist is WAY old, so would that be a good idea to grab? or do you guys think its way outdated just by info in other books?

yet again, thanks for the info.
shadd4d
Aztlan is one of the best sourcebooks there is. Ancient History has annotated the transcript, but the description of then AZT, how the counrty is run, what is really going on, etc. are are all gems for running a game.

Don
tjn
Has about a chapter on SF and the bay area.

However a lot of it doesn't mesh well with the Saito storyline. A lot of themes of SF was the entire bay area was a low intensity conflict waiting to erupt. One side hating the otherside, otherside hating the first... and everyone with guns.

It's got a couple problems... easy enough to iron out. But on the whole, much more plausable then their treatment of the Central Valley or Saito.

IMG, Saito's more or less taken over SF proper and stayed there. I liked SF pre-Saito invasion, and Saito just doesn't have enough men to occupy that much land.

But Central Valley on the other hand... pft... I use like 10% of what they presented, rest is drek IMO.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Synner @ Jun 14 2004, 12:54 AM)
Calfree has all the goods on the California situation up to around 2059.

That's funny, since the book is set in 2057.

QUOTE (tjn)
IMG, Saito's more or less taken over SF proper and stayed there.  I liked SF pre-Saito invasion, and Saito just doesn't have enough men to occupy that much land.

He could have up to 40,000 Marines given the two divisions he has, plus he also has access and to and support from corporate security personnel from friendly Japanacorps.

And if you look at the Protectorate, he's probably equal to or superior the U.S. occupation of Iraq in terms of Marines per square km. (138,000 in an area equal to all of California vs. 40,000 in an area maybe a quarter the size of Cal. on a good day)
Synner
If you want to be picky. I meant the situation described therein is valid until 2060 when the drek hits the fan after with the Ring of Fire quakes, Saito and Pueblo making their moves.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012