Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Surprise in Matrix ?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
daforsto
When a proactive IC is triggered and the user fails the sensor test, how do you progress into combat ? Is initiative rolled, and no big deal about failing to notice it ? Is Surprise rolled based on the Deckers reaction, and the system security rating ? In that case would the IC get the delayed action bonus TN2 and the decker get TN4 ?

Is there such a thing as surprise in the Matrix ? I don't see anything covering it in the mainbook or matrix. Am I being blind ?

--Dave
WolfJack
I never noticed any real surprise rules anywhere, though when I looked it was mid-game I may have missed it. We ruled it thusly:

If the PC fails a sensor test to notice the triggered IC then the IC in question gets a free shot at the decker. After that one free shot initiative is rolled normally.

We also ruled that you can never, truely, surprise any IC. The thinking behind this was that the IC is a part of the system and the system always knows where you are at - not necessarily what you are doing, just where you are at.

That was our quick and dirty house rule for it.

-Adam
daforsto
QUOTE (WolfJack)
If the PC fails a sensor test to notice the triggered IC then the IC in question gets a free shot at the decker.  After that one free shot initiative is rolled normally.

We also ruled that you can never, truely, surprise any IC.  The thinking behind this was that the IC is a part of the system and the system always knows where you are at - not necessarily what you are doing, just where you are at.

We have been running with something similar. We brought surprise tests into the matrix. IC that was activated but undetected gets TN2 on a surprise test, while the decker gets TN4. When the IC wins, we have been giving the IC a free shot. Now the question then becomes since attacks in the Matrix are simple actions, how many free shots do you give the IC ? Is this just a one shot wonder, or do they get a whole free action ?

We have tentatively gone with 2 free shots or one free attack phase for the IC.

I too believe the system is aware of all, but thanks to the wonder of deception (masking and sleaze) the system isn't always sure it should pay too much attention to you. When you complicate good deception with evasion, it may be aware, but still surprised.

So if you are engaged in combat with IC, and successfully evade, then decide to attach the IC again, do you go right back into initiative ? Can this again be one of those instances where surprise has a place ? Would the decker now get TN2 or is this a straight surprise TN4 on TN4 situation ?

What are peoples thoughts ?

--Dave
Nikoli
My feeling would be that you pick right up where you left off since the attack code would override the evasion. the system just notices you again, as it did inthe first place.

If you want, you would call for another init since the combat is theoretically changing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012