Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Customized Drones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Berzerker
Hey,

The SR3 main book and Rigger 3 both give customization options for vehicles and drones, but (unless I'm mistaken) they give absolutely zero examples. What I was hoping to see is a bunch of examples of typical armed drones that a beginning rigger would want. Anyone have samples? Sort of like a beginners guide to arming drones (and possibly vehicles). Not just finished examples, but the process of getting there too.

Thanks,

Berzerker
TinkerGnome
I guess the reason they don't go too heavily into it is that there are so many options. For most security or military grade drones, you'll want to stick the biggest gun possible on them. LMGs work good out of the gate. Add in some recoil comp, as well.

I had some success with a Doberman which mounted a large netgun and an Ares Alpha, as well.

And don't forget that the Strato-9 comes with a MMG latched onto it. That's a good example, too wink.gif

[edit] Firing a drone weapon system takes a complex action, so you might as well use a full auto capable weapon, if you can compensate it. [/edit]
JaronK
How do you compensate on drones? It seems like shock pads wouldn't work, and I imagine you can't use a tripod...

JaronK
TinkerGnome
Any recoil comp integral to the weapon (ie, integral gas vents, etc) count, along with design things like the alpha has. Then you need to use the recoil compensation and gyroscopic recoil compensation vehicle options smile.gif

[edit] Gunnery Recoil Adjusters is the one and Vehicular Gyroscopic Stablizers is the other. They aren't compatable. [/edit]
JaronK
Bah, so hard to make a rigger without rigger 3...

JaronK
Misfit Toy
A mini-blimp with Ruthenium coating (if you can afford it), twelve scanners, max Sensors (5 at character creation), and a sniper rifle makes the all around most perfect reconnaissance and sniping drone out there. A must have for any rigger with a good budget.
Misfit Toy
On a related note, can anyone explain to me what they're talking about in regards to external weapon accessories under the Firearm Conversion Kit on page 136 of the original Rigger 3 book?

Are they saying that a range finder or laser sight on an external mount isn't available? How about an underbarrel weight? How about a gas-vent? What's considered "a part of the weapon" and what isn't?
Berzerker
As far as compensation, the weapons can still include gas vents and I suppose even underbarrel weights would work. Plus if the weapon is mounted on a firm or hardpoint, or a turret, you cut recoil in half before applying other RC.
KillaJ
I dont think these are exactly what you are looking for but it might help to check out some of these threads.

Human looking drones

Transformers

This is a cool one

Robo Slaves

Mans Best Friend

Strange Ones

Hope these help.
Catsnightmare
Well let me dig up my character creation notes for Commodore Jones' modified MCT-Nissan roto drone, the most heavily modified one I've made. I'll post the stats and what I changed as soon as I find it.

(edit: corrected cause I can't remember drone names worth jack)
GreatChicken
Transformers

Actually, I was the one who wanted that, 'cept I haven't joined Dumpshock at the time. But since I constructed that without using Rigger 3 (using Cannon Comp, R2 stats and houserules) it might be against the rules. It's basically 3kg worth of extras on a 2kg custom shotgun, based on that body 1 vectorcraft drone.

It's a bird that transforms into a shotgun. indifferent.gif A smart, wisecracking bird at that. ohplease.gif And it costs about 70,000 rounded up. wobble.gif
Catsnightmare
I couldn’t find the exact notes but I’ll post the finished results here and you can compare to the stock MCT-Nissan in either BBB or R3.

“The Hornet” (who the hell doesn’t name their drones  )
Modified MCT-Nissan Rotodrone
Speed: 105
Acceleration: 9
Handling: 3
Body: 2
Armor: 0 (ran out of money)
Signature: 5
Pilot: 2
Cargo: 3
Load: 140
Sensors: 3
Special Features: Micro Turret with anti-aircraft capabilites w/Ares Alpha loaded with APDS and air-burst grenades, Smartlink 2 integration kit, grenade link, Battle Tac FDDM, intercom.

kuroko
QUOTE (Berzerker)
The SR3 main book and Rigger 3 both give customization options for vehicles and drones, but (unless I'm mistaken) they give absolutely zero examples.  What I was hoping to see is a bunch of examples of typical armed drones that a beginning rigger would want.  Anyone have samples?  Sort of like a beginners guide to arming drones (and possibly vehicles).  Not just finished examples, but the process of getting there too.

The process for getting there requires a lot of dice rolling and all too often a facility (which is bull in my opinion). House rule that to simplicity if you want to, but before you do sit down with R3 and think about it. Basically look at something and ask if you need a factory to put it in. Then keep in mind that some things should be hard to install for game balance.

As for starting drones, I've got a few pieces of advise.
1) Never forget that an assualt rifle is a perfect option for a support drone. Or a grenade launcher. Putting either of these on a wheeled crawler works great. (Although you have to work it out the gm as to what the damage code would be, twin linked ak-47's are a personel fav.)
2) Speed has to be watcched. You don't want to have to sacrifice this thing because it can't keep up with the rest of the team as they book it.
3) Don't forget surveillance. Get a good sensor set on a drone and some support gear for that, then you will be able to warn the team of impending doom before it arrives.
4) E-Warfare is your friend and foe. Learn it, love it, make drones for it.

I have some example drones that I made for a rigger character a while ago, and will post them oncce I get home (ddon't carry the SR notebook to class thank you).
Nikoli
Also, add a comparment for your failsafe device. If you have to leave the drone behind, make sure it makes some new friends on the way out.
Diesel
Make the cheapest suicide bomber drone possible, and buy several.
Lantzer
What's the cheapest you've seen? Even Microskimmers cost if you lose'em.

We _have_ used them as delivery systems in the past, but that was for a really big-budget game.
Misfit Toy
A micro rotor-UAV with battery and 3kg of Load only costs 2,700 nuyen or 1,080 nuyen with the Custom Built quality factor. A small one is actually better for only a moderate increase in price; adding 125kg Load to it, it costs only 3,700 nuyen or 1,480 nuyen with the option. Faster, too.
Thistledown
For that, I've found getting a hobby store RC car and strapping a stick of C4 to it to be rather inexpensive.

As to custom drones, let's see. We made the GMC Heron, as a small rotary drone similar to those (Cyphers?) in Metal Gear Solid 2. Our rigger got a grenade launcher on one and a machine gun on another.

We also use a body-0 rotory drone for spying a lot. Call it a hover-eye.

Oh, and before Sprawl Survival Guide game out with domestic robots, we'd made something called a 'hallway helper.' Pretty much a big metal box on wheels that's programed to follow you around and haul stuff for you. Some have arms and are used as janitorial robots by corporations.
Fu-Man Chu
Here's a pair of drones I created for a rigger I'm playing in Sphynx's online game. The first is a drone that was modified to be an extremely quick insertion/retrieval vehicle for runners. The second if more of a typical Small combat rotodrone with an Ares Alpha mounted on it.

Peregrine

Hand 2
Spd 690
Acc 41
Body 3
Armor 6
Signal 6
Auto 0
Pilot 3
Sensor 1
CF 0
Load 42

Seating 1 + 2b (1 Reinforced)
Entry 2
Fuel 180
Economy 0.4
S/B -
L/T VTOL
Chass: VTA, UAV, Large
Engine: Jet Turbine
Cost: 59962

Other Features:
Prototype
Masterwork
Drone Pilot 3
BattleTac IVIS
Smart Materials (+1 TN to Stress Tests)
Rigger Adaptation
Remote Control Interface
Drive -by-wire 3
Structural Agility 3 (+3 to Reaction)
Advanced Passenger Protection x1
Crash Cage
Roll Bars
Enviroseal (Gas) 1
FUP 5
Power Amplifier 4
ECM 1
ECCM 1

Remote Turret, Micro
Recoil Adjuster 4
Rifle Integration Kit
Smartlink-2 Integration

Remote Turret, Mini
Recoil Adjuster 6

Cathartid

Hand 2
Spd 100
Acc 9
Body 1
Armor 5
Signal 4
Auto 0
Pilot 3
Sensor 1
CF 0
Load 135

Seating 0
Entry -
Fuel 120
Economy 0.25
S/B 3 min
L/T VTOL
Chass: Rotocraft, UAV, Small
Engine: Jet Turbine
Cost: 7310

Other Features:
Custom Built
Drone Pilot 3
BattleTac IVIS
Rigger Adaptation
Remote Control Interface
Remote Turret, Micro
Recoil Adjuster 4
Rifle Integration Kit
Smartlink-2 Integration
KarmaInferno
I had a paraplegic character (mentioned a couple of times before). I got a Steel Lynx drone, took the turret off, and attached an armored passenger seat to it. My fellow players dubbed it the Wheelchair of Doom.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
On a related note, can anyone explain to me what they're talking about in regards to external weapon accessories under the Firearm Conversion Kit on page 136 of the original Rigger 3 book?

Are they saying that a range finder or laser sight on an external mount isn't available? How about an underbarrel weight? How about a gas-vent? What's considered "a part of the weapon" and what isn't?

It seems to me that they are either saying "anything that did not originally come with the weapon can not be used when that weapon is mounted on a vehicle" or "nothing that can be easily removed from the weapon can be used when that weapon is mounted on a vehicle." Shockingly, the book isnt particularly clear on this.

Of the two explanations, I find that the second is more sensible. It allows inclusing of gas-vents and suchlike. Either explanation is bound to provide for some retarded situations, but hey. I guess Thats the price we pay for their decision to not provide a list or table indicating which accessories can and which can not be included.
Necro Tech
AS for Firearms conversion kits, yes, that does mean that only stock weapons can be used. It don't come with it, you don't get to add it. Game Balance issue.

Things to keep in mind from a guy who is building a rigger currently.

1.) The vehicle design rules are not for players. They are supercool but they lead to some seriously appauling creations. If your GM says yes, then he can blame no one but himself.

2.) Rigger 3 Revised is a must. They are major revisions in it. The eratta just added is even more important. The strato-9 just went avail = 11.

3.) Think outside the box. Sniping condors are fun. For you and your enemy. GM's will take all your designs and use them against you.

4.) No cheating. Most people don't do it intentionally but the biggest culprit it ammo. Missles are heavy and brutally expensive. Ammo is really, really heavy. Sure 1 CF is 2000 rnds of EX- Explosive. Its also weighs 150 Kilos. With the above mentioned firearms restictions your LMG at full auto with have a +5 recoil modifier. Vehicular recoil comp is like 25KG a point and can't be higher than the body of your vehicle (I'm pretty damn sure that is).

Good or bad the rules have to be used in their entirety. This comes from a guy who plays strict cannon but I find when you ignore the little stuff the game goes way outta whack real fast.

Of course if you want to ignore it all, then by all means twink out.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (JaronK @ Jun 15 2004, 03:03 PM)
How do you compensate on drones?

The best way to compensate is with the absolute biggest gun you can find.

And no, the Strato as of R3 revised is still 8 Avail.

~J
Necro Tech
Sorry my bad. Thinking of the guardian. And damn did it get useless as something other than a battering ram.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012