Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Simsense in RL....
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Method

Check out this CNN article LINK.

It gets closer and closer every day....
Nath
This is not simsense at all. Simsense is the recording of perception and feelings and their reproduction. The technology here does not simulate sense and there's no feedback. It's what SR calls DNI control. Users think about a specific control and the system detect it. That's would be the same process that allow a smartlinked individual to think "eject" and the smartlink to eject a firearm's clip.
Nikoli
That article is the beginings of the datajack

Edit:
Well, the process described inside the article is, no the article itself
Misfit Toy
...and even they see the logic in using a wireless connection instead of the silly headphone jacks Shadowrun insists on for everything. smile.gif
Method
QUOTE (Nath)
This is not simsense at all. Simsense is the recording of perception and feelings and their reproduction. The technology here does not simulate sense and there's no feedback. It's what SR calls DNI control. Users think about a specific control and the system detect it. That's would be the same process that allow a smartlinked individual to think "eject" and the smartlink to eject a firearm's clip.

well, yes its not exactly simsense yet, but DNI is the first step in makeing simsense (and the Matrix) a possibility...
NetJacker
This is not very new, this implant for "DNI control" exists and has been planned by researchers a long time ago. I guess the hardest thing to do is to send feedback to the brain to replace our senses by others. Meanwhile, hands on or hands-free we will still be watching our flat monitors and be using our eyes and ears. frown.gif
NetJacker
plus, if we think that shadowrun runs 60 years in the future, i think we are missing it badly there. 60 years is a lot, imagine what was happening 60 years in the past. Some things just donīt fix for me, for example the flaw of blindness that cannot be healed. For the matrix and simsense, i guess thatīs fine because i canīt imagine anything more technologically advanced than that.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Misfit Toy @ Jun 15 2004, 03:31 PM)
...and even they see the logic in using a wireless connection instead of the silly headphone jacks Shadowrun insists on for everything. smile.gif

Because Wireless was such a hot tech in 1989.

Edit: besides, give me a wired connection for my datajack anyday. Throughput, friends, throughput. smile.gif

~J
Phaeton
I guess I will just say it now...

I hate the '80s. And I was born in them. ohplease.gif dead.gif
Kagetenshi
Don't be blaspheming, young'un. The '80s gave us the Genesis, the Nintendo Entertainment System (from a maker of playing cards, no less), the Macintosh, Shadowrun, and the paranoid fear that Japan was going to own the US in a matter of years.

~J
Misfit Toy
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Because Wireless was such a hot tech in 1989.

That's an excuse for 1st and even 2nd Edition. Unfortunately, 3rd Edition -- let alone Man & Machine or even SOTA: 2063 -- wasn't publishedin 1989. Considering that they had no trouble getting rid of decking naked or completely reworking various implants or how the Matrix works through various sourcebooks, there's no reason they shouldn't have at least tried to make certain obvious aspects of the game a little more believable along the way, too. Especially something as simple as assuming encrypted wireless connections, which when it comes down to it is pretty much entirely fluff.

And wired connections would still be an interesting and useful options, especially for runners and anyone else who stands a good chance of running up against electronic warfare or jamming.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Don't be blaspheming, young'un. The '80s gave us the Genesis, the Nintendo Entertainment System (from a maker of playing cards, no less), the Macintosh, Shadowrun, and the paranoid fear that Japan was going to own the US in a matter of years.

~J

Ahhhh, yes...Well, I only hate the last of tho---...Wait. Nevermind. They still are. *points at piles of Pokemon merchandise that went unsold during the craze* They're trying to flood us. Yup yup. And now they're trying to flood us with their silly comic books about....Oh, hell, I don't even know. But Masamune Shirow will save us. Hopefully.
Kagetenshi
Didn't you know? All the writers are still in 1989. They keep a time machine on-hand to get the books, but glitches with it have resulted in the delays in recent products.

And Masamune Shirow may be a prophet, but I'm sticking with Katsuhiro Otomo as savior.

~J
Phaeton
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Didn't you know? All the writers are still in 1989. They keep a time machine on-hand to get the books, but glitches with it have resulted in the delays in recent products.

~J

...And inevitably, it's somehow Yamatetsu's fault.

YOU CAN'T DENY IT! YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Nikoli
Well, it is entirely believeable that the Crash of '29, VITAS, and the other various nasty events in the SR timeline impede, prohibit and in some cases flat out reverse technological advancement (note, I don't subscribe to this)
Phaeton
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Well, it is entirely believeable that the Crash of '29, VITAS, and the other various nasty events in the SR timeline impede, prohibit and in some cases flat out reverse technological advancement (note, I don't subscribe to this)

That makes sense. I mean, if it made Redmond turn from a thriving electronic-industrial park to an absolute slagpile...
Nikoli
Basically. Hell, even the Gates dynasty gets reduced to a Mom n Pop deck shop by comparison.
hobgoblin
think about it, more and more information is stored in a purely digital form, even if we have the data on a file we may loose the info on how to read the on and off singnals. in fact if your lucky you na feed a word doc to a image viewer and actualy get a image (a very abstract one but still)...

point is that while "we" didnt loose so mutch that we folded back to a feudal system (atleast not totaly) it still set the tech back atleast some years.

as for a wireless interface to one head, there are 2 more things to consider on top of the bandwidth problem that kagetenshipointed to: security and the effect of em waves on the brain. the first one is simple, just look at the problems that wifi have, the second one is still up for debate but look at all the contradicting research reports published about cellphones and then imagine haveing a device like that permanently installed in your head.

allso, current research on pure neural controls will not get far as we are limited to passive feedback, you have to observe what happens and adjust to that. until we can get say a sense of resistance or similar i will not try to use this kind of tech to pick up a raw egg (or other object that needs to be handeld with care) just yet.
Plastic Rat
2 things:
1) I believe the datajack/DNI interface is meant for high-speed, bulk data transfer. Wireless (trodes) is still available, but slower. To fully harness the speed of the brain, you need direct connections.

2) Where the heck do I sign up to get one, and are there any developers signed up to produce PC games for this control method yet, and if not, WHY THE HECK NOT?!

Can anyone imagine playin Halflife or Doom3 with mind-control? Freakin AWESOME!

DAMNIT, I WANT ONE NOW! ...or I will be greatly displeased...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012