Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Summoning
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Paul
So lets say for the sake of arguement I am running a game. And in this game I have a shaman. And this shaman decides to summon a spirit. Being the anal retentive GM I am I have some spirits already planned in the area, so I know whats around.

So if you summon a city spirit (At whatever force) and a like spirit, say almost exactly alike, happens to be in the same room what happens?

In example. Paul summons a force 3 Hearth spirit. Unbeknowst to Paul a force 3 Hearth spirit is already in the room. Does Paul summon exsisting spirit or totally new spirit?

Also here is a metagaming question. How many spirits inhabit an area? Is it unlimited? I mean having read up pretty well on my summoning this evening I know there is some suggestion by Man of Many Names that in the MetaPlanes there are areas dedicated to spirits, and that could be where they come from, but there is no hard answer I could find.

So I am just intrested in your ideas.
tisoz
You can summon a spirit, a shaman can summon another totally new spirit, another shaman could summon another totally new spirit and so on.
Abstruse
And for sites with specific Hearth spirits (Underworld 93, the Godzilla-themed club whose name escapes me, etc), they end up looking like when you play Ryu vs. Ryu on Street Fighter. Exact same powers and almost the same general appearance only with different colored costumes.

The Abstruse One
Ancient History
Should I not be reading this?
BitBasher
the Godzilla-themed club whose name escapes me
Destroy Tokyo!

And yeah, anyone can summon a new spirit there, that doesn;t have to impact an existing spirit. Keep in mind though, the spirit in astral space they can;t see cannot use any powers on the PC unless he manifests in the physical world, and will then be visible to them.
Apathy
Underworld 93, the Godzilla-themed club whose name escapes me, etc

The Rubber Suit!
Paul
Any one can read this. Cat's out of the bag so to speak...
simonw2000
What does the Underworld 93 spirit look like?
Prospero
According to MitS (don't have the book handy, so I can't remember the refrence exactly) if you try and summon a spirit that has spontaneously manifested (read: already there) it's like the spirit has double the force and is generally resistant to the summoner's commands. So in your case, Paul, you'd get a totally new spirit. I always assumed that a summoned spirit is influenced by both the domain (or element for mages and wujen) and the summoner, so two summoners in the same place will not get the exact same spirit. I think various magical flavor texts hint at that, but I couldn't tell you where right now.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (simonw2000)

As mentioned, Godzilla. Along with it's own fire breathing and eyebrow rising extra abilitys.

Paul
Thanks to all!
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (simonw2000)

A 3 ft tall 1978's roadie/rocker with an electric guitar.

In general the spirit summoned is the one who lives there. It's not like theres a spirit waiting room "NOW SUMMONING #32" but the Shaman taps into the ethos of the place. So a woodland spirit in Central park NYC is going to look different from one in the Catskill mountains.

A mountian spirit in the rockies is gonig to have a different look than one on an east coast ski resort.(don't ask.)

If you have a spirit planned in a place, that's what the runner's going to tap into.
Smiley
How is that like the hokie-pokie? And isn't the hokie-pokie stupid itself?
Zazen
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Keep in mind though, the spirit in astral space they can;t see cannot use any powers on the PC unless he manifests in the physical world, and will then be visible to them.

It can use powers on its summoner even if they don't share a plane, because a conjurer and his spirit have a "special link" or something that's an exception to the normal rules.
BitBasher
Right, but in this case it was a spirit the PC's didn't know about, which is why I mentioned it.
Zazen
Thought you were talking about the other one. Nevermind!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012