Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Area effect spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tyron
Hey guys, was wondering if I could get a quick clarification on something.

I was trying to remember the radius of area effect spells that are cast, but I couldn't find where it said it in BBB or MiTS. I vaguely remember it being the casters Magic attribute in meters, but I don't know where I got that from. Can anyone clarify and/or give me some page numbers?

Thanks in advance!
Jason Farlander
You are correct, sir. SR3 page 181: "The base radius for all area spells is the caster's Magic Attribute in meters."
Mr.Platinum
is that circular radius or a square radius? No I'm serious, in my games it's a circular radius.
TinkerGnome
What's a square radius?
shadd4d
If you can pull it off, I'm sure there's a PhD in Math waiting for you from some University.

Don
Nikoli
Kinda like circular, but not as "hip"
TinkerGnome
Near as I can tell, regular polygons can be described in terms of the radius of an inscribed or circumscribed circle, but that's as close as my research is getting me. I never too much math beyond the 300 level (did have a little).

I'm taking a wild guess and saying that "radius" almost always means circular radius.
Tyron
I think I'm just going to go with the circle too. biggrin.gif
Arethusa
QUOTE (Mr.Platinum)
is that circular radius or a square radius? No I'm serious, in my games it's a circular radius.

Well, that's good, then, as there is no such thing as a square radius.
John Campbell
I've always treated it as a spherical radius, myself... though I suppose that would technically make them volume-effect spells.
Eyeless Blond
well you could make them *surface*-area effect, although it would be kinda wierd to detonate a fireball on top of someone and have it not even touch them.
Arethusa
Unless it's unreasonable to assume so, I'd say it tends to go without saying that the radius used to calculate area of effect is spherical, even if area is something of a misnomer.
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Unless it's unreasonable to assume so, I'd say it tends to go without saying that the radius used to calculate area of effect is spherical, even if area is something of a misnomer.

Second.

Mathematics by democracy!
John Campbell
Wait, we can redefine mathematical laws by majority opinion here?

Okay, I hereby move that we set pi to equal 4. That way circles will be squares, and there won't be any radius question.
BitBasher
Motion denied. <gavel pounds> Are there any other motions on the floor?
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Kinda like circular, but not as "hip"

Now that comedy!
TinkerGnome
If you want to get technical, a sphere is just an infinite number of two dimensional circular planes, so the radius is the same wink.gif
paul_HArkonen
now we have a discusion, I do have to say, if we were to assume the Area of Effect was just a circle we wouldn't have such fun ideas as use a power ball to destroy the floor and the guards. ;) Also if it wasn't a volume then we have an sheet thinner than any paper, and that's just no fun now is. Yeah its definately a sphere, we need to change the title from Area of effect to volume of affect, just to confuse people.
LaughingTiger
*fowards this page to his math teacher as another piece of proof that rpg's are "good" and "stimulate thought"*

Jack Chick never makes you think
John Campbell
Jack Chick makes me think!

He makes me think, "Wow, what a nutbar! Do people really believe this drek?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012