Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Madagascar
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Abstruse
I just read the Cyberpirates! section on Madagascar (probably misspelling it, but oh well) and I'm wondering...does anyone know what's really going on?

According to Cyberpirates!, Lofwyr, Harlequin, and/or Ares has a group of vampiric Lemers, 300 adult dragons, a group of deckers who have been jacked in so long they're dead but are being kept alive by cybermancy-style techniques, aliens, dinosaurs, dragon eggs, and/or ghosts in the interior of the island. Hestaby, Harlequin, and Lofwyr all posted to the file, but did little to enlighten everyone. Has it ever been solidified exactly what the hell is in the interior?

The Abstruse One
HMHVV Hunter

Possible

Spoilers

Ahead!

Check "Dragons of the Sixth World" for slightly more concrete info on what may be there.
Ronin Soul
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
Check "Dragons of the Sixth World" for slightly more concrete info on what may be there.

Some spoilers here would be nice...

All I know about Madegascar was Harlequin was spotted on Madagascar (or someone who looks a lot like him) and I suspect he wanted those mercenaries who got mauled gone... I wonder what he's hiding?
Abstruse
Any particular section? I've read most of it but I don't remember any mention of Madagascar...

The Abstruse One
Synner
Cool. Wondered when someone was going to bring it up...
snowRaven
Yeah - which section in Dot6W?

I've read all of it - but apparently I must've missed something... indifferent.gif
Ancient History
grinbig.gif The one with the unpronouncable name in the "Nest of Serpents" section!
snowRaven
LoL... now I just have to figure out which one you deem unpronouncable - but hey, at least you narrowed it down alot - Thanks upsidedown.gif
Ned
Maybe I'm just blind, but a quick perusal of DotSW didn't turn up anything. Help?
Ancient History
Oops. Fanany, p.14, under Eggs. My bad.
booklord
I recently mentioned my theory on Madagascar on the dragons of the sith world thread. Basically I think the dragon bit is all a hoax.

Asking some simple questions

Who lives nearby?
Well, the Ancestors of the Therans live in Azania. In fact I can't imagine that any other immortal group be it dragon or elf would choose Madagascar as their ultra-secret base given Azania's proximity.

Who could have eliminated the native population so completely?
Stinks of magic. If a corporation had done it then the jungle would not have so completely retaken the island. Magic especially given the timing suggests an immortal group.

What activity would require complete privacy?
The building or development of something that would bring a definite response from the rest of the global community.

What activity would gain Harlequinn's attention?
Nothing corporate I don't think. I even doubt that Harlequinn would be interested in a solitary great dragon's lair. ( As recent biological info given in Dragons of the Sixth World the dragons using the island to keep all their eggs in pure bulldrek. At best it could be one great dragon )

....My Theory....
The secretive elves of Azania are building an army in the depths and privacy of Madagascar. Much like the Therans of old. ( Possibly involving Heavenherds, I'm still a little unclear what they are ) It fits all the questions. The dragon bit is a ruse to deflect the attention of any other groups that may be interested in what's going down on the island. ( Much like Harlequinn hints at every time he comments on the island. ) This leads to the question of what the elves of Azania plan to do with whatever they're building in Madagascar when they're ready?
Reaver
Perhaps the ruins of Parlainth have come back... and they lie deep in Madagascar. That could explain why Harlequin is there, to help in containing the horrors that survived in that cursed city and prevent people from plundering it and/or becoming horror marked.

Just an evil GM thought. biggrin.gif
snowRaven
Yeah, I have re-read the section, and unless Harlequin is covering for the dragons (?!?) I seriously doubt there are any dragon eggs there.

Parlainth ruins could be...or something else linked to horrors or maybe just the 4th world... suggestions anyone?
Ronin Soul
Something non-Earthdawn related would be nice...

...but that's not going to happen. smile.gif

Seriously, as much as I sometimes like plot crossover elements, they do sometimes seem to be a bit rife. Just doesn't do anything for me (particularly the whole Ireland/tir na nOg mess).

/end rant
Ancient History
There's no proof yet that any of this has to do with ED.
SCLariat
IMHO, I believe Madagascar situation is Lofwyr's acceptance of dragon eggs to raise a la the ED Dragon sourcebook (available online as a PDF and Living Room games is about to print an updated copy). According to the ED Dragon book, after a female dragon lays her eggs, the father and mother give the eggs to a great dragon to raise. That could be what's going on.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (booklord)
dragons of the sith

Now there is a strange thought.

~J
Ancient History
"You do not yet understand the power of the Dark Side."

"Finish him, Darth Lofwyr."

"Yes...my master."

"Emperor Ghostwalker must be destroyed!"
Hocus Pocus
I love TomTom and his theories!. If ya ask me he is the one that gots da clean gem! believe what he posts.

Abstruse
I finally got around to digging out my copy of DotSW and reading that little section. No questions answered though. Harlequin pops in and says the dragon egg bit is a "grand misdirection". Seeing as Laughing Man was reportedly running around in Madagascar, I don't know what it could be then. There was a mention of a 7-headed feathered serpent...maybe it was the hydra the elves made in ED?

The Abstruse One
Ancient History
It could be a hydra (though how it got down there i have no idea), but the elves didnae make it.

Abstruse
I thought the elves made the only two hydra...if it wasn't them, who was it?

The Abstruse One
booklord
The renegade dragon Denairastas claimed credit for having one of his minions create the first hydra from seven of the eggs of Thermail. From there on the creature reproduced and reproduced and .....
Ancient History
For "minion" read "dragonkin human magician of the Denairastas line."

The odd thing about hydras back then and hydras today is that the ones today (hydra-wyrms) have two more heads and are aquatic! Really weird. I wonder if Celedyr had something to do with it,but I don't think so.
Kagetenshi
Is it possible that they're unrelated creatures superficially similar and thus named the same?

~J
Comedian
Cybertechnology had some interesting views on the Heavenherds...

AFAIK, albino Wakyambis who lived in some of the darkest jungles in Africa, and who developed the first Blood Magic, yet never practice it. It's a tradition to them that's more than a few millenia old, and passed down from tribal shaman-to-shaman-to-son, or somesuch.
booklord
Do we know that those Azanian secretive elves who seem to be related to the Therans don't use blood magic? I mean the techniques of cybermancy might not be practiced but blood magic seems to be more wipespread and practiced.

It's not just Aztlan. The Yucatan resistance have admitted they use it. ("Must fight fire with fire") as well as the Residents of "Amazonia" ("have to supplement the forces"). Earthdawn sources seem to indicate that it was commonly used by feathered serpents and the Therans.
Ancient History
Considering the similarity in appearence, the fact that the first species in undeniably artificial, and the fact taht it's a dracoform with NINE frickin' heads? Even the Awakening has trouble poppin' out creatures with more than three heads.
lorg
Perhaps Harly was just working on his tan, madagascar gets alot of sun you know ... then all the paranoids posting started to read to much into it (as usual)
SugarDog
Vampiric lemurs? Tha's hilarious.
Actually, now that I think about it, it's kind of scary. I've been to Madland, and I've seen how quiet the lemurs can be, and how far they can jump (over 30 feet lateral for the largest, the indri). hmmmm.... small stealthy vampires that are virtually invisible in the rainforest, can leap 30 feet onto your neck, and travel in groups? ack

Actually, something far nastier would be an Awakened fosa. They are an oversized Malagasy mongoose that has evolutionarily converged with the big cats. Not only are they berserkers (they regularly take down prey much larger than themselves, and have been obesrved attacking introduced wild boars, which weigh 50-80 kg more than the fosas do), they are also the most agile things I have ever seen. They make cats look about as dexterous as a wildebeest.

Actually, up until a few thousand years ago, there was a 100 kg version of the fosa roaming Madagascar also....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012