Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberware batteries, anyone?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Phaeton
Asked me to log in. frown.gif
Toptomcat
Me, too: can you sum it up?
Frag-o Delux
Summing it up.

Scientists are looking to mimic the human bodies ability to break down glucose as a renewable power source.

{Scientific mumbo jumbo}When sugar is broken down it releases electrons that maybe used as energy{Scientific mumbo jumbo}

They are also looking at useing things like Platinum instead of enzymes to casue the glucose break down.

The are also advocateing suger becasue it is cheap and renewalbe. Were as Hydrogen is seemingly harder to collect.

Edit: I am also tired but I believe that is what is being said.

Edit2: They are also talking about putting fuel cells in people to pwer external gadgets by siphoning off excess energy created by the natural break down of sugar in the human body. It is also a theoretical way to stop wieght gain, a device in the in the body could siphon off the extra electrons before they are converted to fat to be stored in the body.

Does this mean The Matrix is not all that wrong? grinbig.gif
FlakJacket
ID: dumpshock
Password: forum

A Sweet Way to Fuel Cars
By Teresa Riordan

Published: June 21, 2004

You may not be able to refuel your car with corn syrup or charge your computer by plugging it into a bottle of Coca-Cola anytime soon. But to Stanley H. Kravitz and a group of researchers at Sandia National Laboratories, sugar looks like the new oil.

Dr. Kravitz and his colleagues have begun to apply for patents covering ways to convert glucose, a basic form of sugar, into energy.

Glucose seems an obvious potential source for fuel. Unlike hydrogen, for example, it is renewable, cheap and abundant.

"The problem with hydrogen is that it isn't just found in the air or lying around," Dr. Kravitz said. "You have do something quite energy-intensive to break apart some molecule in order to get hydrogen. That's the Catch-22."

So why aren't other researchers trying to power their fuel cells with glucose rather than hydrogen? Glucose molecules, it turns out, are not easily persuaded to give up their energy.

Over time, naturally occurring enzymes have turned mammals into glucose-burning machines. The human body, for example, metabolizes glucose in a delicately choreographed dance. Twelve different enzymes partner in succession with the glucose molecule, each enzyme sending two electrons spinning offstage into cellular power sources and thereby fueling the body. (If the body does not need this energy when it is made, the body stores it as fat.)

One approach that Sandia researchers are taking is to genetically engineer enzymes that mimic those in the human body. "If evolution figured it out, we should be able to figure it out," Dr. Kravitz said.

Another approach is nonbiological, using metals like platinum to liberate electrons.

Early potential applications of glucose fuel cells would require only small amounts of energy. For example, security systems to detect movement or the presence of chemicals could use sensors that would be plugged into trees, siphoning glucose from sap for energy.

"They could be put in covertly and left for months in places that are risky, where you don't want to have to be changing batteries," Dr. Kravitz said.

The Sandia researchers are not the only ones who are converting glucose to energy.

Adam Heller, a professor at the University of Texas and a founder of TheraSense, a manufacturer of blood-glucose monitoring devices that was acquired in April by Abbott Laboratories, recently received patent 6,531,239 for a glucose fuel cell.

Last year, Professor Heller and colleagues published a paper in The Journal of the American Chemical Society describing the tiniest fuel cell ever built in a living organism -in this case, a grape, whose sap provided the glucose fuel. Professor Heller said he might use a similar fuel cell to run a continuous glucose monitor that he is developing. Embedded in a patient's skin for three days, the device would eliminate the daily pricking that most diabetics endure to keep track of glucose levels.

The device would generate minute amounts of electricity from the patient's own glucose as a measuring tool, to track blood sugar levels.

By contrast, Dr. Kravitz said, the Sandia researchers are "making electricity for electricity's sake - as a power source."

Dr. Kravitz and fellow Sandia researchers are developing an array of tiny glass needles, as slim and sharp as a mosquito's proboscis, that could, for example, be imperceptibly "plugged in" to a soldier's arm and used to convert glucose from the human body into energy.

"Suppose you could make a patch that went on the arm and had little micro needles that didn't hurt," Dr. Kravitz said. "Now the soldier just needs to eat an Oreo cookie to keep his radio going."

Such a device could also siphon excess glucose out of the blood of a diabetic, Dr. Kravitz speculated.

So this research could solve both the world's energy problem and the obesity epidemic simultaneously? "That's sort of a wild and crazy idea," Dr. Kravitz said. "But then again, maybe not."

In any case, the Sandia researchers have a lot of work to do. A three-year, $6.4 million grant will end in September, and the researchers are looking for new financing.

"The efficiency stinks right now," Dr. Kravitz acknowledged, noting that so far Sandia researchers were able to produce power in the milliwatt range, enough to power a tiny light-emitting diode - while a car would require kilowatts of power.

"We've increased the efficiency by a factor of a thousand in a period of three years," he said. "But we need to go up by a factor of a million."
Phaeton
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Does this mean The Matrix is not all that wrong? grinbig.gif

*shudder* That's more or less exactly what I was thinking...Or worrying.
Jason Farlander
And yet again, people are trying to convince you that hydrogen gas is hard to come by, and we need a different fuel source. Preferably one that you can be charged for.

Please.

All you need to generate hydrogen gas is water and electricity (with trace amounts of electolytes... and we all know how hard it is to find salt). If it was really as difficult to produce as some people are claiming these days, why was it used *70* years ago in the mass quantities required to fly zeppelins?
Kagetenshi
It's not hard to come by. It's hard to either come by in sufficient quantities "on the fly" or to efficiently store in large quantities in a car.

~J
Cray74
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
All you need to generate hydrogen gas is water and electricity (with trace amounts of electolytes... and we all know how hard it is to find salt).  If it was really as difficult to produce as some people are claiming these days, why was it used *70* years ago in the mass quantities required to fly zeppelins?

1) It isn't difficult to produce, but it's expensive. Cracking water for hydrogen consumes at least 14kWh, possibly up to 20kWh, just to get a pound of hydrogen. At low American utility rates, that's $1.4 for electricity alone. (That's before touching on storage, distribution, tax, and profit.) It's actually cheaper to produce hydrogen from oil (and, in fact, it's a byproduct of oil refining) than to produce it from water. The vast majority of commercially made hydrogen available today comes from oil.

2) Hydrogen isn't difficult to produce, but it's a pain in the ass to store. Ultra-high pressure storage tanks are heavy and don't deliver the range of an equivalent weight of gasoline. Metal hydrides have similarly low weight efficiencies. On top of having crappy density (70 grams per liter, vs 1000 grams per liter for water), liquid hydrogen defines "cryogenic," requiring much more insulation than liquid nitrogen or oxygen. In fact, storage is probably one of the major stumbling blocks for hydrogen use. That's why fuel cell makers keep using methanol (directly, or cracking it for hydrogen in the engine), and why Chrysler was trying to use gasoline to supply hydrogen for its fuel cell experiments.

3) The "mass quantities" used by zeppelins were not "mass quantities" as the modern transportation industry reckons it. The Hindenberg, with about 8 million cubic feet of hydrogen, had about 20 tons of the gas. That amounts to, what, about the same amount of hydrogen a jetliner would need for one or two flights? A typical car could easily need 500kg of hydrogen per year - 20 tons is enough to power all of 40 cars for a year.

Sure, hydrogen's a great fuel in terms of energy/weight ratios. It's easy to make - you can make in your house with some electricity and water. But as a practical fuel, it's a pain in the butt.
Nikoli
Also, hydrogen is dangerous to store, one tiny leak and boom, a news reporter is standing in your neighbors yard (down the street) moaning about the humanity of it all.

Glucose is infinitely safer to store, the worst of your problems being either insects or super-hyped children
Cray74
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Also, hydrogen is dangerous to store, one tiny leak and boom, a news reporter is standing in your neighbors yard (down the street) moaning about the humanity of it all.

Glucose is infinitely safer to store, the worst of your problems being either insects or super-hyped children

I'll agree that glucose is safer, but what's so dangerous about hydrogen? Sure, it burns nicely, but it's not explosive. As a high pressure gas, it shouldn't be any more dangerous than, say, compressed propane.
Kagetenshi
Only if you keep it away from oxygen. Once it gets out, you can have quite a boom.

~J
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
All you need to generate hydrogen gas is water and electricity (with trace amounts of electolytes... and we all know how hard it is to find salt). If it was really as difficult to produce as some people are claiming these days, why was it used *70* years ago in the mass quantities required to fly zeppelins?

Everyone above has produced great arguments as to why hydrogen does not make a very good energy storage medium. Add to that the fact that, even as a pure liquid under several hundred psi of pressure, hydrogen cannot store energy in as dense a form as any current octane blend. That should give you a good indicator of why it is difficult at best to make hydrogen-fueled cars.

But your snide remark here isn't about hydrogen as an energy storage medium, it's about using hydrogen produced through electrolysis as a fuel source. To see why this is laughable, let's do a little basic chemistry. Here's the chemical equation for the production of hydrogen by electrolosys:

2 H2O + (energy) --> 2 H2 + O2

Simple, right? Now, here's the chemical equation for the combustion (burning) of hydrogen:

2 H2 + O2 --> 2 H2O + (energy)

Look a little similar to you? It should, because it's the exact reverse of the equation for electrolosys. Why is this important? Well, the first law of thermodynamics tells us that there is no way we can ever use this cyclic proceedure to create energy. In fact, the second law of thermodynamics tells us that this process will actually result in a net *loss* in useful energy, as both reactions in the cycle will by definition increase the entropy (non-useful energy) of the universe.

Hollywood is capable of pulling weird physics out of its ass whenever it wants to, but in the real world stuff like that movie Chain Reaction do not happen.
Nikoli
Cause apartment complexes never have issues with propane being stored on site.

Which would you choose to store next to your room or your child's room, a few Kg of compressed hydrogen, or a similair amount of glucose? Would you risk even the possibility of their injury, or yours?

I know I wouldn't.
Yes, propane and lpg are safe, when properly stored and maintained. Problem is, people become lax in the diligence of thier maintenance and leaks occur.

And teh amount of hydrogen necessary to store for most applications at current efficiencies would precipitatemore hazardous conditions. of course, you could always just store thousands of kg in salt water, cracking hydrogen as needed, but then you'd have to maintain some method of cracking the hydrogen, though from what I hear, researchers are finding that sound actually can act as something like a catalyst, so that you require less energy to crack the water, but success is limited so far. (Yes, I know a movie was done about this with Keanu Reeves, but the concept remains somewhat valid. Remember, the best Sci-fi is based in sci-fact) Edit (Check out the May 04 issue of Popular Science for more info)
Cray74
QUOTE (Nikoli)

No, never, and cars never catch fire and burn because of the gasoline in them.

I was just pointing out that hydrogen is not an explosive, and it is about as safe as other flammable, stored fuels, like propane and gasoline. Obviously, if there's a choice, glucose is favorable (unless there's a lot of ants around wink.gif ).

Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Nikoli)
And teh amount of hydrogen necessary to store for most applications at current efficiencies would precipitatemore hazardous conditions. of course, you could always just store thousands of kg in salt water, cracking hydrogen as needed, but then you'd have to maintain some method of cracking the hydrogen, though from what I hear, researchers are finding that sound actually can act as something like a catalyst, so that you require less energy to crack the water, but success is limited so far. (Yes, I know a movie was done about this with Keanu Reeves, but the concept remains somewhat valid. Remember, the best Sci-fi is based in sci-fact)

Perhaps I'm not making myself clear enough? Let me say it again, just to be clear. Water is the waste product formed by the combustion of hydrogen. It cannot be used to store ot produce energy. Saying that you will store or produce energy using water is as illogical as saying you will store or produce energy in carbon dioxide, claiming that you can use one of many catalysts to turn it back into octane as needed.
Kagetenshi
In fact, Asimov argues that as science fiction is proved impossible, it ceases to be science fiction and becomes fantasy. As a result, Asimov is a science fiction writer who currently has a lot of fantasy to his name.

~J
Nikoli
When philosophy is proven, it becomes science. what's your point?

Also, sound can increase the efficiency gained in cracking the water, by reducing the energy required to crack the molecule.

Read my edit, check iout the May '04 popular science
Kagetenshi
My point being that, at least according to Asimov, if it isn't based in sci-fact it ain't sci-fi.

~J
Nikoli
More info on the topic

Clicky

Oh, so we're in agreement Kag, good to know.
Cray74
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Perhaps I'm not making myself clear enough? Let me say it again, just to be clear. Water is the waste product formed by the combustion of hydrogen. It cannot be used to store ot produce energy. Saying that you will store or produce energy using water is as illogical as saying you will store or produce energy in carbon dioxide, claiming that you can use one of many catalysts to turn it back into octane as needed.

There's a difference between having losses in an energy storage system and the energy storage system not being able to produce useful amounts of work.

Sure, there's energy losses in the production and storage of hydrogen. There's also losses in energy when you charge a battery. There's losses when you spin up a flywheel or pump air into a compressed air tank. There's losses when a solar power plants melt and heat salt for night time power delivery. There's losses in every energy storage system.

And, yet, they still deliver power, doing useful amounts of work.

If I use 200kWh of energy from an electrical utility to charge up my (hypothetical) electric car with 180kWh of chemical energy in its batteries, only get 150kWh of electricity back out of the batteries, and only have 135kWh delivered to the wheels, does that mean I was incapable of storing energy in the batteries? No. I got 135kWh of energy out of the batteries.

Likewise, if I use a hypothetical nuclear, solar, tidal, or even oil-fired power plant to "crack" water into hydrogen for my hypothetical hydrogen-fueled car, I'm going to get less energy out of the hydrogen in the gas tank than the power plant put into making the hydrogen. That, however, is not a concern for my car, because it will get energy out of the hydrogen, which provides a fancy means of storing the power plant's energy.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Cray74)
I was just pointing out that hydrogen is not an explosive, and it is about as safe as other flammable, stored fuels, like propane and gasoline. Obviously, if there's a choice, glucose is favorable (unless there's a lot of ants around wink.gif ).

Yes, but it is still much harder to store than propane, gasoline or other flammable fuels.

1) Hydrogen is not very dense (duh, we used to make blimps out of it). Although it's fuel-by-weight ratio is very high, it's low density means that its fuel-by-volume ratio--the ratio that is actually relevant to putting hydrogen in mobile containers like cars and airplanes--is very low. The solution here is to put it at a higher pressure, at eight times the pressure it has the same fuel/volume ratio of propane, its closest analogue. To get to a similar fuel-to-volume ratio as octane you'd need to compress the hydrogen to nearly 4000 times atmospheric pressure, which indroduces several other funadmental problems*. Naturally, higher pressures are more dangerous, and require tougher and more expensive containment proceedures.

2) Hydrogen is a very small molecule. As such, it has the ability to diffuce right through most containers, including most metals. Anyone who has seen how a metallic helium-filled balloon can go flat after a few days is witnessing this phenomenon, one that gets worse when you increase the pressure.

There are more reasons, but most of the big ones I've discussed previously or someone else has. Suffice to say that it's just not feasable.

*- The biggest fundamental problem here is that at such high pressures and temperatures (room temperature is considered "very high" for hydrogen), hydrogen gas becomes what is called a supercritical fluid. This introduces a great many unique complications all its own.
Kagetenshi
I think the solution is blimpcars. When you get too low on hydrogen to fly, you just use the rest to drive to the fueling station.

~J
Nikoli
So, we're agreed, hydrogen = interesting, but not entirely safe

glucose= interesting, but not entirely feasible, given today's technology

both, by 2064 could be amazing. also the glucose battery concept can nicely explain how cyberarms don't need a battery but tasers still need to recharge after so many hits.
Cray74
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
1) Hydrogen is not very dense (duh, we used to make blimps out of it).

Yes, I know. I gave its liquid density elsewhere in this thread.

2) Hydrogen is a very small molecule. As such, it has the ability to diffuce right through most containers, including most metals. Anyone who has seen how a metallic helium-filled balloon can go flat after a few days is witnessing this phenomenon, one that gets worse when you increase the pressure.

However, it can be blocked with the right anti-diffusion liner selection. Of course, that doesn't solve the inability to store a useful amount of hydrogen, just the diffusion problem.

I had a nice link about thin film diffusion barriers, but I need to post this message and close out IE while I figure out WTF is causing me so much trouble with my google searches.

There are more reasons, but most of the big ones I've discussed previously or someone else has. Suffice to say that it's just not feasable.

Me, maybe? I gave rather long post on hydrogen's problems, too.
Vlad the Bad
What I think is interesting (IIRC), and partially why the oil industry warmed up to fuel cells and not something like biodeisel, is that hydrogen pockets are something you run into when drilling for oil. So if you switched to drilling hydrogen out of the ground perhaps your investment into lots of drill equipment isn't wasted ...
Nikoli
Funny how that works.
Cray74
QUOTE (Vlad the Bad)
What I think is interesting (IIRC), and partially why the oil industry warmed up to fuel cells and not something like biodeisel, is that hydrogen pockets are something you run into when drilling for oil. So if you switched to drilling hydrogen out of the ground perhaps your investment into lots of drill equipment isn't wasted ...

Also note where the majority of hydrogen comes from: in addition to gas pockets, the processing of refining crude oil into gasoline and lighter hydrocarbons produces hydrogen as a byproduct. Or maybe it's the process of making heavier hydrocarbons. But most of that hydrogen comes from oil.

Which means when the shuttle launches and those clean burning hydrogen-oxygen main engines, the oil industry chortles as another 100 tons of its products are burned in about 6 minutes. Actually, I bet the solid booster's 1200 tons of rubber-base solid fuel come from the oil industry, too, and those only burn for 2 minutes...
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Cray74)
QUOTE (Nikoli)

No, never, and cars never catch fire and burn because of the gasoline in them.

Yes but it is not as efficent as a fuel. That was a problem with the hindenburg, they used Hydrogen becasue the US denied Nazi Germany Helium which has more lift. To be a fuel you need much more Hydrogen than say propane or methane. More fuel means more pressure or bigger containers which means more likely to have an accident.
Madda_Gaska
1: I think there's prior art to demonstrate on a means for converting glucose to energy. Just pick a person.

2: There was (and probably still is) some research into using hydrogen to fuel mopeds (as a first experiment, IIRC). It was meant to have been moderately successful, as well as fairly safe (due to the safety measures they used, surprisingly).
Now, the law states that we can't get more (or even equal?) energy out than we put in. However, the 'we' who puts in the energy does not have to be the 'we' who uses it. That's why there was talk of building some sort of sea platform that used solar energy to convert the salt water to hydrogen, releasing the oxygen, and allowing for a fuel that, when burned, produced water. Voila- energy put in by the sun (we will of course cease if it puts in a complaint), and energy used by us.
otomik
Hydrogen cracking happens all the time as a byproduct in nuclear power plants. tweek that process a bit for even more hydrogen cracking combined with the abundance of energy a nuclear plant produces (nuclear power is one of the few reasons to admire the French).

Nuclear Power: Crack, Crack, Fizz, Fizz, Oh what a relief it is!
Cray74
QUOTE (otomik)
Hydrogen cracking happens all the time as a byproduct in nuclear power plants. tweek that process a bit for even more hydrogen cracking combined with the abundance of energy a nuclear plant produces (nuclear power is one of the few reasons to admire the French).

Does it? When and where in the typical water-cooled power plant?

I was under the impression significant thermochemical hydrogen production was a goal for high temperature nuclear power plants, but the combination of high temp fission piles and thermochemical hydrogen production hadn't been made yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012