Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best and Worst Meta Plots in Shadowrun Cannon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Question Man
Hoi Chummers, I noticed how Meta Plots discussions come up a lot in various discussions and thought I would put together a Poll, but first I need all of the Meta Plots. Not likes or dislikes. Just a listing of all current Meta Plots.

Thank you in advance nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif

QM

P.S.: A short description would help too.
Nephyte
Dunklezahn for president
Bugs/UB/Chicago
Aztlan/Wars - Yucatan, CAS, Peublo, Amazonia

Argh, there's just tonnes of crap happening.

Yamatetsu's move to Meta-racial Megacorp
Renraku and the AI's/Leonardo
Alamais/Lowfyr Fued

There's thats my contributions, there's only about 600 others in the books nyahnyah.gif
Person 404
Lofwyr/Nachtmeister/AG

Shedim/(Ibn Eisa?)
Nath
My answer would be more or less based on what I put together in a previous Metaplot thread, more specifically the second part of the post.

QUOTE (Nath)
The Metaplots & Story Arcs of SR:

- IE updated from v.4.0 to v.6.0 : Harlequin, Tir Tairngire, Tir Na nOg, Imago, Harlequin's Back, Aztlan², Threats, Black Madonna (novel), Worlds Without End (novel), Shadows of North America
- The Invae : Queen Euphoria, NAGNA²², London²², The Universal Brotherhood, Double Exposure, Burning Bright (novel), Threats, Super Tuesday!, Target:UCAS, Magic in the Shadows (for stats), Target:Awakened Lands², Threats 2
- Mr Darke & the Horrors : Harlequin's Back, Aztlan, House of the Sun (novel), Threats, Trilogy of Ryan Mercury (novels), Corporate Download²
- Corp War : PoaD:Dunkelzahn's Secrets, Blood in the Boardroom, Corp Download, Corporate Punishment
- Deus & the story arc of the arc's story: Seattle SB, Renraku Arcology:Shutdown, New Seattle², Man & Machine² (nanotech chapter), Matrix², Brainscan, Threats 2, Sprawl Survival Guide²

Those are the mainstream metaplots, those about whom people think when dealing with the subject. But I'd add some more lighter ongoing plots when there's a clear evolution to catch between three or more books.

- The Proteus Affair : Chrom & Dioxin (german release) Walzer, Punks & Schwarzes Ice (german release), Target:Smuggler Havens, Man & Machine², Target:Wastelands², SOTA:2063², Shockwellen (german release)
- Rise of the Otaku : Denver boxset, Virtual Realities 2, Psychotrope (novel), Technobabel (novel), Renraku Arcology:Shutdown, Matrix, Target:Matrix, Brainscan, Threats 2
- Here there be Dragons : PoaD:Dunkelzahn's Secrets², DidS2 (German release), Survival of the Fittest, Dragons of the Sixth World
- The realm of Ghostwalker : Denver², PoaD:Dunkelzahn's Secrets², Year of the Comet, Shadows of North America, Dragons of the Sixth World
- Ares & Cross : PoaD:Dunkelzahn's Secrets, Target: UCAS, Blood in the Boardroom, Corporate Download
- The Mana of Wuxing: PoaD:Dunkelzahn's Secrets, Blood in the Boardroom², Corporate Download², Year of the Comet, Target: Awakened Lands, Dragons of the Sixth World
- Space: Above and Beyond : Man & Machine², Year of the Comet, Target:Awakened Lands², Wake of the Comet, Target:Wastelands
- Little General Saito : NAGNA², California Free State², Threats², Year of the Comet, Shadows of North America, Threats 2
- War in the Philipines : Cyberpirates, Year of the Comet, Dragons of the Sixth World
- The Strange Mr. Ibn Eisa - The Shedim Theory : Year of the Comet, Threats 2, Dragons of the Sixth World
- Johnny Spinrad Boy : Imago²², Prime Runners, Dragons of the Sixth World, Sprawl Survival Guide

Credits to Nath, Synner and Crimsondude

I may be forgetting some books, especially when it comes to novels. If a book hold a very secondary interest concerning a metaplot but can help understanding a part, I noted it with a ².
Kagetenshi
Harlequin/Dunkie/Horrors. That guy from Dunkie's will and his quest to take down… Ares, was it? Death of Fuchi and the corporate war. Mob War. Change of power in Denver.

Probe Race. Yucatan war. Masaru and the Philippines. California: more rulers than gubernatorial candidates. A New Japan. Reuniting the USA, or at least parts of it. Tir border weakening on all sides.

~J
Street Doc
That guy from Dunkie's will and his quest to take down… Ares, was it?

It Was Novatech, Art Dankwalther has a personal grudge against Richard Villiars.
Nikoli
Who doesn't?
Snow_Fox
The plots are good but the problem was the production staff put everything into them. They birng in bugs and for a while all the published adventures seem to have bugs, then it's Darke then Dunkelzhan, the problem was they would ride them into the gorund.
Glyph
I think the whole Japanese Imperial State thing was contrived, and came mostly from the paranoid racism of the 90's when people thought the Japanese were going to take over the world. I wouldn't have minded if they did as a more logical extrapolation of events in the 90's and had them be an economic superpower, maybe using the U.S. as its military muscle, or fomenting conflict to further its own agenda, or being so indispensible to certain third-world economies that they effectively run them behind the scenes.

But instead, you have this bunch of racists who ship metahumans off to an island, take over the Phillipines (and ban Escrima... huh?), send "Imperial troopers" to take over California, and dominate a bunch of other countries, while the U.S. and China apparently sit on their hands. By turning Japan into a fascist, racist state, they more or less ruined it as a campaign area. A futuristic Japan and an elven nation would be great places to take an adventure, but both the JIS and Tir Tairngire were reduced to unpleasant areas, best avoided whenever possible.

They tried to fix it in YOTC, but overall I consider the whole thing a big mess.
Young Freud
QUOTE (Glyph)
I think the whole Japanese Imperial State thing was contrived, and came mostly from the paranoid racism of the 90's when people thought the Japanese were going to take over the world.  I wouldn't have minded if they did as a more logical extrapolation of events in the 90's and had them be an economic superpower, maybe using the U.S. as its military muscle, or fomenting conflict to further its own agenda, or being so indispensible to certain third-world economies that they effectively run them behind the scenes.

But instead, you have this bunch of racists who ship metahumans off to an island, take over the Phillipines (and ban Escrima... huh?), send "Imperial troopers" to take over California, and dominate a bunch of other countries, while the U.S. and China apparently sit on their hands.  By turning Japan into a fascist, racist state, they more or less ruined it as a campaign area.  A futuristic Japan and an elven nation would be great places to take an adventure, but both the JIS and Tir Tairngire were reduced to unpleasant areas, best avoided whenever possible.

They tried to fix it in YOTC, but overall I consider the whole thing a big mess.

Uhm, you know that the U.S. and China were kinda busy falling apart when the JIS was beginning to go on a tear through the Pacific Rim. In fact, the U.S. withdrawling it's detachments from Japan to deal with the Great Ghost Dance gives the Uyoku, the scary Japanese right wingers in the black sound trucks, the opportunity it needs to restore the Mikado as the head of government and to remilitarize Japan (it's referred in the books as the Big Switch of 2006). There's a lot of those guys who are still in the government who remember the Greater Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere (granted, they're in their 80s or so, now, but they do wield some control over the Diet).

And didn't Japan invade the Phillipines before? smile.gif (BTW, the "ban Escrima" is something the Japanese did when the invaded Korea in the late 19th century, as a cultural superority tactic (they banned native martial arts in favor of Japanese martial arts). The Japanese had the learning of martial arts banned for 5 years by Occupation forces after WW2. And besides, the Spanish banned Kali, the precursor to Arnis de Escrima, when they held the islands in the 18th century.)

Actually, I find the JIS and CFS to be pretty interesting, but then again, I've talked to Fatcat of the JIS Project and the members of the Japanese SRML to get their views on the subject. I couldn't stand Tir Tairngire before, but the SoNA entry makes me enjoy it more.

BTW, don't like Immortal Elves as a Meta Plot.
otomik
And didn't Japan invade the Phillipines before?  (BTW, the "ban Escrima" is something the Japanese did when the invaded Korea in the late 19th century, as a cultural superority tactic (they banned native martial arts in favor of Japanese martial arts). The Japanese had the learning of martial arts banned for 5 years by Occupation forces after WW2. And besides, the Spanish banned Kali, the precursor to Arnis de Escrima, when they held the islands in the 18th century.)
it's also a great inspiration for kung fu freedom fighters, ever see Fist of Fury? Jackie Chan in New Fist of Fury is watchable too)
toturi
For many of the older generation in Asia, what the Japanese in SR did isn't too farfetched. Furthermore, if you see Japan as the personal playground of Ryumyo and the whole of East Asia as a contested neighbourhood with Lung, I see nothing wrong with an actual physical invasion. Lung may be satisfied with behinds the scenes action but Ryumyo seems to be Yang to Lung's Yin.
Abstruse
You can easily run in Japan and Tir Tairngire. The problem is GETTING there. It's the same as any other country in Shadowrun, only the borders are tighter and you have to hide better. Hell, I'm thinking of sending my group to Chiba for some new cyber just to up their paranoia levels some.

The Abstruse One
Paul
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Who doesn't?

:lol
Nikoli
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012