Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: REAL Science Fiction
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
NetJacker
I opened this topic to discuss about the new changes and advancement of technology. I know it´s not exactly a Shadowrun theme but it definitely has to do with it (if i make it to 2060, i will look at my SR sourcebooks and laugh with my grandson).

now check this link.

maybe in 20 or 25 years we´ll be buying our tickets to fly to a moon tour (obviously to a megacorporation wobble.gif ).

you could check also www.wired.com. always good stuff there.
otomik
BBB has pagers and huge conceal 3 cellphones...

Electrothermal-Chemical enhanced ballistics with about 50% more muzzle velocity, the tech is currently being tested in Tanks and Artillery and might make it into later Abrams MBT product improvement packages. increases power significantly without putting more strain on the chamber (chamber pressures plateau rather than spike).
Nikoli
Actually, in the latest printing they fixed that

cell phones have a believeable conceal now
Fresno Bob
Judging by current trends, cell phones in 2060 will have conceal 15
Nikoli
Nah, at some point you'd loose them too often.
Fresno Bob
But the smaller they get, the more convenient they are! And they'll get smaller at the same rate SUVs get bigger. Now, we have cellphones the size of credit cards and Cadillac Escalades. Who knows what the future can bring?
hobgoblin
give bluetooth or similar tech + continual improvements in voice recognition it will not be long before you can tell the phone to call any number it have stored without takeing it out of your pocket (ie you dont teach it prerecorded voice prints, you just tell it what number to call). hell, its not hard for me to pick my phone out of the pocket, use one thumb to find the number i want and put it back in the pocket while useing my bluetooth "earplug" for the call itself, and answering is as easy as pressing a button on the earplug.

and does anyone recall the concept images that motorola showed of some time ago with diffrent bluetooth enabled devices? it included some rayban looking sunglasses with a buildtin screen and stereo headset, a wristband pda with only directional arrows for input unless you used the matching bluetooth pen that used handwriteing reconnition when you wrote on any surface (give a new meaning to taking notes on the wall, right?)...

we must not forget that sr is getting very close to atleast a 20 year jubileum and some of the tech in the book is starting to seem old (alltho the datajack is a Sci-Fi as ever)...
NetJacker
i know, Phaeton, i just wanted to open this topic to talk about it here in detail.

Do you remember the thermo suits used in Ghost In The Shell, those invisible suits (that if i´m right they taken those from NEUROMANCER)?

well they do exist in this world. If i remember the link (it was somewhere in wired.com) i´ll let you know. dead.gif
dandy
it was on bbc ... don't know the link ...

but what about microsofts new patent (number 6.xxx.xxx? dunno the number anymore)

microsoft patented cybertechnology. human implants that can communicate with the body and other implants with the use of the human skin. all the implants and such are powered by the human magnetic field.

scary shit. i'll prolly never "install" these things. why? because 1. it's powered by microsoft windows and 2. i'll just wait and see what happens in 2011. i just might get magicly active wink.gif
Panzergeist
By 2060 they should have voice-controlled cell phones that can fit in a hollow false tooth, which don't cost essence.
Young Freud
QUOTE (NetJacker)
i know, Phaeton, i just wanted to open this topic to talk about it here in detail.

Do you remember the thermo suits used in Ghost In The Shell, those invisible suits (that if i´m right they taken those from NEUROMANCER)?

well they do exist in this world. If i remember the link (it was somewhere in wired.com) i´ll let you know. dead.gif

It's a Xtal Vision demonstrator by the University of Tokyo. And it's no where near as effective as the Polycarb suits in Neuromancer or the Optocamo in GITS. It's strictly one-way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012