Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Credsticks!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Phaeton
Well...Here ya go!
hobgoblin
ah, rdif and a cellphone. while the idea is interesting but i think ill prefer a smartcard based solution where i actualy have to insert the card into a reader thank you. or atleast give me a dedicated card with the rdif tag embeded inside it rather then tied to my cellphone, i risk hanging on to my cell longer then i want to with this. allso consider the problem of the phone ringing while your trying to pay at a supermarket at closeing time. instant stress!

man i realy want them to stop stuffing all manner of functions into the phones and rather give me a set of devices that use bluetooth or similar to exchange data, like say a pda that i use to store my phonebook and apointments that link to my cell for calling and checking email. add to that a digital camera that can talk to both for sending the images it take with it and ill be realy happy. snap the image, break out the pda, tell it to grab the image of the camera and send it to the number(s) set and forget about it. pda grabs image of the camera, connects to cell and tells it to send a package of data to the designated numbers. hell maybe you can even define emails at the same time and have the pda then use the cells gprs/edge link to send the data onto the net. all this and no need for wires, everything happens while the cell is in your pocket and the camera is resting wherever you put it within range.
Abstruse
Some of us don't have 20 pockets to hold all the gadgets you'd like to take with you or don't like the weight of seperate PDAs, pocket game systems, digital cameras, etc. etc. pulling our pants down. Having everything in one little device can be very handy. Sucks if you lose it, but that's the risk. That's also why you pay the $2 for insurance on your phone.

The Abstruse One
Frag-o Delux
That means I might have to keep my job, because they bought and pay for my cell phone. If I quit no way in hell am I keeping the phone, they make me keep one. I don't like cell phones.

Don't matter any way, I have an ATM card I can use at the counter just like that phone. I still stop at the ATM to get money and buy stuff with cash. I would feel silly if I tried to buy things with the card and no money was availible, you might can tell, I don't balance my check book, going to the ATM is like playing a slot machine. Stick in the card and hit the buttons and see if I win.

PDA? Is that a fancy way to say a little note pad and ink pen in your pocket? I need to get out more.
hobgoblin
abstuse, have you seen the size of some the items in question? i recently ran into a creditcard sized digital camera the other day and soon you can get a cellphone you can wear like a watch (even better with a wireless handfree system wink.gif ).

allso, there is a reason for why you see more and more people with backpacks or similar, its a nice place to store stuff like a camera when not in use.

the stuff becomes smaller and smaller. motorola had a concept system shown of a year or 2 ago that had a pda/phone combo that you either had in your pocket or on your wrist. then you had a small digital camera with no real internal storage that you could clip to say the edge of a open jacket. all this and a set of "sunglasses" with internal stereo headphones/handfree and a small display. open top of that a pen that was able to work as a input device for the pda/phone and we are realy rolling.

point is that you dont have to have everything in your pocket. it dont even have to look like a phone or pda or camera...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012