Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sub-species titles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
rlemansky
Greetings.

I was wondering if anyone had the names of the Meta-variant Homo Sapien species. IIRC, Elves were 'nobilis', trolls were 'ingentis', orks were 'robustus', and dwarfs were ' pumilionis'. What are dryads, gnowmes, night ones, etc. ?

Thanks,

R
shadd4d
I don't ever remember it being listed, actually. Just the latin assumably for the normal metatypes.

Maybe in the Companion, but no idea really.

Don
Smiley
I don't see any in the companion. Just the common layman names. I guess you can let your imagination run wild and apply any that you deem fitting.
Abstruse
They're not really seperate races, just a subclassification of the same race. A Night One is still classified as Homo Sapiens Nobilis. For the few that are different classifications, check out Paranormal Animals of North America/Europe.

The Abstruse One
Nikoli
I would imagine a Night One might be Homo Sapiens Nocturnus Nobilis, or some such.
toturi
Homo Sapien Vegetatis Nobilis - Dryads

Homo Sapien Oculis Ingentis - Cyclops
Nikoli
Homo Sapies Ruprestus - Reporter
kevyn668
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Homo Sapies Ruprestus - Reporter

Wouldn't that be Homo Sapiens Sensationalus?

(If I knew enough latin to say "Yellow Journalism" or "Bullshit Peddler" I would)
Nikoli
Represtus is Large Mouth Bass
kevyn668
Oooooh. Well that works for me, too. biggrin.gif
Nikoli
biggrin.gif
Misfit Toy
I imagine the variant's part of the taxonomy would come at the end, not the middle. So a Night One might be Homo Sapiens Noblis Nocturnus if anything, not Nocturnus Nobilis. Taxonomy goes from the broadest group to the narrowest group.
Nikoli
Thanks Misfit, that does make more sense.
Alania
SR 2.01 had those listet in the Corebook

the listing for humans was "Homo Sapiens Sapiens" afair
RangerJoe
Wouldn't it make more sense to add the sub-species name after the species name?

I.e.-- Homo Sapien Nobilis Vegetatis - Dryads
kevyn668
QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
I imagine the variant's part of the taxonomy would come at the end, not the middle. So a Night One might be Homo Sapiens Noblis Nocturnus if anything, not Nocturnus Nobilis. Taxonomy goes from the broadest group to the narrowest group.

RangerJoe
Ka. Oops. World: 1, Joe: 0.

Providing a canon ruling on the metavarient sub-species names would be a really neat thing for the Powers that Be to post as content on the official SR website (hint hint--nudge-nudge) (Unless it's the cornerstone of some forthcoming text, of course)
Abstruse
Homo Sapiens Sapiens is what is generally used today to describe modern humans. Just plain Homo Sapiens would be the last stages of cave men.

The Abstruse One
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012