Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone ever made an Otaku...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RedSunOfKrypton
And if so, what benefits and drawbacks did doing so have?
Ancient History
You have to buy the correct utility to use a Cellular link.
toturi
QUOTE (Ancient History)
You have to buy the correct utility to use a Cellular link.

The correct Complex Form, you mean.
RedSunOfKrypton
So then there aren't really any cons then?
Kagetenshi
Significantly decreased I/O speed.

~J
Ottergame
No memory is a pretty big thing. You have to either buy headware memory or offline storage to save paydata you find.
Kagetenshi
Pocket secretary.

~J
mfb
you have to buy headware memory or offline storage for otaku anyway. problems with cellular uplinks:

1. as it stands, there's no cyberware version. i suppose you could just tack on the cost of a cellular link device to the cost of a cyberphone, but that's up to your GM.

2. it's very, very, very easy to triangulate the physical location of a cellphone.
toturi
QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 27 2004, 01:35 PM)
2. it's very, very, very easy to triangulate the physical location of a cellphone.

Not if you keep moving.
Misfit Toy
Like Kagentenshi basically suggested, why bother with a cybernetic phone? Those things suck. A pocket secretary nets you everything you need; a cellphone, a pocket computer, and a whole lot more. Just tack on the cellular link device to it and you're set.
Zephania
It's only easy to triangulate a cell phone if you're looking for one, you could use it to dial another number, and then use that as the link into the matrix... Any followup would go straight to the physical location.
Necro Tech
Primary problem with Otaku is that they top out far lower than a decker would and it takes 10 times as long. With your "deck" based on your stats you can't ever get the really high numbers that you can with money. Not to mention the horrendous Karma cost. They are cool and neat and stealthy and weird but seriously capped.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Zephania)
It's only easy to triangulate a cell phone if you're looking for one, you could use it to dial another number, and then use that as the link into the matrix... Any followup would go straight to the physical location.

Er, that's just a Reroute X operation, isn't it? At least, that's how I'd handle it. I mean, otherwise you could easily do the same thing with any kind of Matrix connection, couldn't you?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Primary problem with Otaku is that they top out far lower than a decker would and it takes 10 times as long. With your "deck" based on your stats you can't ever get the really high numbers that you can with money. Not to mention the horrendous Karma cost. They are cool and neat and stealthy and weird but seriously capped.

They can start off at about 10 MPCP, and the most a Decker can hit is 12.

Capped?

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012