Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slave Trade business.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
cheezypoof714
Being the entrepreneur that I am I was considering starting a Slave trade business.Here are the key components that I think would be needed.I would primarily be the coordinator/founder.I would probably need a few investors to get it off the ground,however it is possible that this may not even be workable.Feel free to post your thoughts.I just have a lot of free time and was bored.

I am posting this in order to gain some feedback as to whether or not it would be a lucrative business,and the probability of success.I am also curious as to what the charge would be for various aspects of the business.This idea is in it's very beginnings so feel free to add any suggestions of your own.I watched Law and Order last night,and started thinking if slave trade would be possible in the year 2060.

First.A location to acquire the actual slave labor?This is one of the first of many difficult decisions to make.I need an area where you could empty small villages of children and young adults without much resistance.I am open to suggestions on this.

Second.A team with priority of nuyen over morals to secure the groups of slaves.I figured a 6 man team give or take.This is subject to change,depending on the size of slaves taken.Mostly high firepower with a couple doses of combat mage.Cost?

3rd.A vessel to transport both the team and the slaves.This could well be the most costly of the items needed.Due to cost,the thoughts of trying to hijack a sub or large watercraft have crossed my mind.I would like to stay away from aircraft, but I haven't ruled it out.

4th.A pilot of the sub/watercraft or plane.Cost?

5th.A location to keep the slave labor till transfer to owners.A large warehouse complete with suitable quarters.Nothing elaborate here.Would have to find a location where the leaser stayed out of your business. This could be possibly provided by an investor although not necessarily.

6th.A method to find investors?I mean really,you know there out there.It's all about coming into contact with them.

7th.A way to get the word out you are in the business of selling human labor?There would be a high demand for omeone you could have work 16 hours a day for the expense of food and a small room to live in.It's a goldmine.The advertising is a slight problem,however.I mean after all it is illegal.

8th.How much should the asking price be?If you had 20 slaves and sold them for 50,000 a piece that would 1,000,000..Even if your overhead was 750,000 a trip that's 250,000Not bad for sitting in Seatlle.

Anyway,like I said I was bored.

Nikoli
I would think Amazonia would be prime location for pickup. Human life if barely worth the air it breathes there, according to the government as described in the books. Shoot, they'd likely pay you to take them away.
cheezypoof714
So do you think it is a feasible plan?
Nikoli
It'd make for a twisted SR game, that's for sure.
Pistons
I'm moving this to the Shadowrun forum where it belongs.
shadd4d
Isn't there something about it in Cyberpirates? The African ones tend to even stoop to that in order to eat. Plus there is what to do with the people who have been extracted.

Don
cha-cha
The one thing that might be lucrative (these boards are really gonna get me in trouble if Homeland Security is watching) is remembering the sweat shops of today are that much more, er, sweatier (I have to imagine) in 2050's/2060's....no corporate accountability (I mean, heck, it is almost as bad today in some cases...we all know some of the horror stories that we hear coming from, say, Nike in Southeast Asia). Factory workers working for pittance sunup to sundown so the 1st world can get their Stuffer Stuffs really cheap like frown.gif

I was watching that movie, Tears of the Sun, a couple weeks back and, after reading your question, I was thinking about how easy it would be to turn that crew of SEALS into mercenaries who raid a village and round the folks up (possibly with corporate blessing to raze a traditional village to make way for industrial processing). You could have the team force the villagers to a pre-arranged drop point and sell them off at, as distasteful as this is, an underground slave market for workers in factories, drug processing, the sex trade etc. I have to assume that these types of activities have only intensified with the nation-state falling by the wayside in recent decades in SR.

Another show that showed this type of trade, albeit a screwed up operation that brought the cops in, was HBO's second season of The Wire. Basically, Russian mobsters were paying off dock workers to 'lose' cargo ships here and there (which held all sorts of contraband, including humans). Something went wrong, deaths were involved, but for an interesting look at this trade if you have HBO, you may want to check it out...2nd season reruns just started on Sunday nights.

Yikes...forgive the length..i kinda rambled rotate.gif
KillaJ
Extracted? Thats a nice way of putting it. wink.gif
In all seriousness though I dont think that a pilot will be an issue. You can always just chip it. As for where to keep the poor bastards? I would wait to "extract" them until I had filled most of my orders. That way you only have to store a few, and you could always just keep them in a box or something. Just open it up, toss them a few scraps, and let them out to use the facilities (or not, depends on how twisted you want this game to be). Actually I'll bet you could manage a thriving business just by sticking to the barrens. Then all you need is a van.
Nikoli
Also, get a few sets of trodes and some sort of simsense feed, keep 'em in line easily enough.
Eventually though, you'd have to start dealing with the background count where you stash them. That could act like a beacon for folks looking for their relatives/friends/loved ones.
KillaJ
Good point. I never thought of that. You could always rig up a mobile slave base in a big van though. You can fit a few boxes in a good size van. Just make sure the tabs are current.
Young Freud
QUOTE (cheezypoof714)
Being the entrepreneur that I am I was considering starting a Slave trade business.Here are the key components that I think would be needed.I would primarily be the coordinator/founder.I would probably need a few investors to get it off the ground,however it is possible that this may not even be workable.Feel free to post your thoughts.I just have a lot of free time and was bored.

I am posting this in order to gain some feedback as to whether or not it would be a lucrative business,and the probability of success.I am also curious as to what the charge would be for various aspects of the business.This idea is in it's very beginnings so feel free to add any suggestions of your own.I watched Law and Order last night,and started thinking if slave trade would be possible in the year 2060.

First.A location to acquire the actual slave labor?This is one of the first of many difficult decisions to make.I need an area where you could empty small villages of children and young adults without much resistance.I am open to suggestions on this.

Any warzone is a great place to find potential slaves. Uprooted refugees rarely put up any resistance, and, if persuaded properly with talk of a new life in a stable country, the physical force may not even be necessary. California Free State's Northern Crescent, the fractured city states of Europe, South-East Asia War Zone, and now the Salish-Tsimshian border are all potential spots for acquiring slaves.

Illegal immigration could be another rescource for slave labor.

Second.A team with priority of nuyen over morals to secure the groups of slaves.I figured a 6 man team give or take.This is subject to change,depending on the size of slaves taken.Mostly high firepower with a  couple doses of combat mage.Cost?

I don't think you even need it that big. Maybe two hard, pipe-hitting trogs with high intimidations and even higher strength will keep most groups in line. If you're going up past 20 or so, I'd then recommend bring in more.

A combat mage is a bit excessive, unless you're into white slavery, in which a mage might be useful. Don't want to leave marks or permanent scars on the merchandise.

3rd.A vessel to transport both the team and the slaves.This could well be the most costly of the items needed.Due to cost,the thoughts of trying to hijack a sub or large watercraft have crossed my mind.I would like to stay away from aircraft, but I haven't ruled it out.

4th.A pilot of the sub/watercraft or plane.Cost?

That depends on where you're going to be picking up these slaves. If it's close, you might just hoof it or rent or buy a box truck or van. If it's overseas, small ships like yachts might be preferable, as fuel costs for aircraft are more than shipping.

5th.A location to keep the slave labor till transfer to owners.A large warehouse complete with suitable quarters.Nothing elaborate here.Would have to find a location where the leaser stayed out of your business. This could be possibly provided by an investor although not necessarily.

A large warehouse is too elaborate. It's probably better to go the "coyote" route and just store the slaves in a residental house, with a wrought iron gate and burglar bars installed on the inside. In LA recently, the police discovered a human smuggler was storing over a hundred immigrants in a safe house in Watts.

6th.A method to find investors?I mean really,you know there out there.It's all about coming into contact with them.

7th.A way to get the word out you are in the business of selling human labor?There would be a high demand for omeone you could have work 16 hours a day for the expense of food and a small room to live in.It's a goldmine.The advertising is a slight problem,however.I mean after all it is illegal.

Your investors might have to be your customers, at least until your outfit is setup. If you're in the white slavery business, a pimp or a madam might be willing to put up some cash. Small scale or bootleg texile and manufacturing managers will definitely be willing to get unskilled labor in order to cut costs.
Kagetenshi
Learn from the Japanacorps. Just-in-time shipments, don't keep too much merchandise hanging around in storage. It's expensive, inconvenient, and dangerous.

Heavy weapons probably aren't necessary except for backup. Nonlethal weapons should be the order of the day; more money that way. Take a cue from riot cops.

~J
Nikoli
And remember, organ legging is a viable alternative if a "corp" is escaping/being rescued/too rowdy
Kagetenshi
What kind of money can you get organlegging? They might be worth more in pieces.

~J
Nikoli
What's the price of Type O clone parts now? divide inhalf for "used" and there's ya have a nice guideline.
Da9iel
-------------------------------------------
| Please do not feed the Ghouls! |
-------------------------------------------

rotfl.gif
cheezypoof714
Ahh.I never really thought about the possibility of selling them as live organ donors as well.That opens up so many more doorways.

Initially the plan was to get large groups of slaves to cut down on travel expenses,however if you were to go to the Barrens,as previously suggested that would kill that problem along with having a large extraction team,and needing a large area to keep a surplus of bodies until delivery.

This keeps becoming more profitable by the minute.The problem still lies in the advertising.It is one of my main concerns that I still haven't thought of an idea for.I suppose word of mouth would suffice,but I was looking for something that would reach a little farther.
Nikoli
Take an animal shelter mind set.

"Welcome to Lockdown, if you are not purchased in one week, portions of you surely will be. It is therefore in the best interest of your continued survival in a single organism tha tyou remain docile, calm, respectful of the guards and above all, do your best to be purchased whole, not as spare parts."
Kagetenshi
"If any of you deemed particularly valuable are damaged, you will be repaired using parts from the others. I advise not starting fights for your own safety.

~J
Nikoli
Wow, sick minds really do think alike.
cha-cha
I gotta think that these types of communities have a pretty fast word of mouth type of advertising. So, I know it sounds mundane..but think about it:

"Hey, so and so gave me some solid 'cattle' last week, check him out..."

I know it sounds tacky...but with the way of the world today, and extrapolated into SR, folk probably want AS LITTLE as possible written down. And if word gets out your product is bad, you are done...check out a book called Dark Alliance by Gary Webb about how word of mouth (and some nice CIA turning the other way) fueled the crack explosion in LA in the 80's.

You could also build a front corp like "lumber shipping" and catalog by type:

white slaves=pine
sex slaves=oak
factory workers=cedar
etc etc

You will have customers in no time with word of mouth and the ability to have transactions through e-transactions (laundered probably). Speaking of, reaching out to certain types in the mob and organized crime and/or gang, pay your operating fee and kickback fee and I am sure that they will open avenues for you. That "honor among thieves" is bunk...any organized crime family will have ways of getting you ANYTHING you want. Drugs, sex, slavers. Like I said, that show, The Wire, really blew me away with how the Russians used the corruption of the unions to do half the work for them.

Matrix technology could also be used...disappearing SANS and what not, but up front investments to have customers (obligatory freaks and deviants comment here) "sample" the merchandise....and surcharge for that. I know it sounds distaseful, but you gotta think this stuff happens with webcams these days, we just dont hear about it.

I also think that running out of the Barrens is probably good..but any desolate area, rural or otherwise, is gonna work.

I live in Arizona and every so often, we hear about neighborhood homes housing 50-100 undocumented immigrants from Mexico getting busted and most neighbors were clueless (due to racism, ignorance, or that lovely disease known as suburbia).

I have officially spent too much time thinking about the slave trade for the past ten minutes indifferent.gif

Interesting topic though...I enjoy games that show the full spectrum of humanity in SR, and unfortunately, this is one of them.
Kagetenshi
Coke en stock.

A point to the first person to identify the reference without searching for the phrase.

~J
Nath
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 24 2004, 09:20 PM)
Coke en stock.

A point to the first person to identify the reference without searching for the phrase.

A point easily won for any French (or Belgian for that matter, but there aren't many around). Les Aventures de Tintin, par Hergé. I can't remember the number without a web search. Hey, maybe I'm thus not the only one who'd find it funny if Saeder-Krupp oil division was called the SKoil.
CircuitBoyBlue
I played a run last week where one of our characters ran into (or rather, was run into by) a van full of people with a netgun trying to take his tender Ork muscles captive. Turned out that they weren't slavers, but that's what we were thinking the whole time, and we were freaked the heck out. Now you've come and made me relive that horror, so the next 20 times I play shadowrun I'll be wondering how sick the GM is. More power to you. As a side note, if they HAD been slavers, the trick would have been on them--our Ork is weak. We keep him around because he knows how to sew us up.

On another side note, now that you people are talking about cocaine (or rather, one of you is, and a couple others are making obscure references that are totally over my head), a funny book to check out is a book called "Red Cocaine." Turns out all our drugs came from China, Russia, and Cuba. Here I thought Colombia and the CIA had a little bit to do with it...
Kagetenshi
Nath wins a point, CircuitBoyBlue makes the obvious but incorrect connection.

~J
cha-cha
Hey CircuitBoyBlue...happy to add to the paranoia, if I was able to biggrin.gif ....

This is a bit of an aside...but I remember reading somewhere that drugs that WE are familiar with (coke, crack, meth, heroin) are still a thriving business in the shadows b/c not everyone can afford the BTL's etc. That seems logical given the rampant class issues in SR.

Now, knowing that there is plenty of documented evidence of CIA involvement in the 80's to help fund the Cold War (never heard of Red Cocaine, might check that out...try a book called Cocaine: An Unauthorized Biography...great read..traces the history of coke and the power players involved...from CIA to Coca Cola to the whole side deal with Iran Contra, to the discovery etc etc), how likely do you think megacorps might be willing to use some of that illicit trade? We know they use Srunners obviously, but how about dipping into the drug trade? Too dangerous?

My players are in 2053 now, but this thread got me thinking about how the corps might use drug trade to help fund the corp war that comes up where Fuchi goes kaput.

Or even Aztlan, considering the heart of the coca trade is perdy darn close there to help fund the fight against the rebels.

Or am I just a twisted cynic? wink.gif
Nikoli
Or, for yet more shades of grey playing, the rebels use it to fund their war with Aztlan.
cha-cha
Bingo! Love those shades of grey. Actually, that is exactly what happened in Nicaragua in the '80's. The Sandanistas (the evil commie galactic overlords according to the US) were using cocaine money to fight the Contras, and so were the Contras (the "moral equivalent of the Founding Fathers" according to same source) to fight the Sandanistas. So, basically, two opposite sides of the coin were making the drug lords a heckuva lot of money. Folks like Pablo Escobar laughed all the way to the bank. Great point, Nikoli!

In terms of SR, that is where it could get interesting, actually, IMHO. Aztlaner rebels, being funded by the CAS CIA, with drug money to help destabilize Aztlan with a group of characters running the drugs, money, guns, whatever. Helping set up distribution networks and the like in the CAS and in rebel strongholds. Getting ahold of fixers to set up the drug ops...coordinating smuggling routes...all sorts of shadow operations.

I am gonna shut up now...I have totally hijacked this thread...but I hope it stayed true to the heart of the original post...sorry indifferent.gif
Kagetenshi
Just to clear it up for anyone still confused, as I said, "coke" up there did not refer to cocaine. It was, rather, a code word for slaves.

~J
otomik
Second.A team with priority of nuyen over morals to secure the groups of slaves.I figured a 6 man team give or take.This is subject to change,depending on the size of slaves taken.Mostly high firepower with a couple doses of combat mage.Cost?

the cost of the capability of capturing people (and not just holding and transporting) is where your profit margins will dissappear. remember in the african slave trade buyers just bought the POWs of enemy tribes, already captured and gift wrapped. poverty can make people inhuman, take a look at south east asia and children sold by parents to become prostitutes.

lets take a look at what untrained slaves are good for
-intense physical labor
-sex
-domestic work

the demand for slaves is going to be limited:
-intense physical labor ideal for slaves is going to have to compete with robotics so it's really only desirable in low-overhead operations. brazil was the last nation on earth to ban slavery in the 1920s, they were very useful in mining. why ship slaves and have to support them in places where the cost of living is so much higher when you can build a factory in a place where people will work for slave labor costs (sweatshops and outsourcing).
-domestic work might be useful (notice all the illegal immigrants working as maids in houses or hotels). it also involves a lot of work that can't easily be duplicated by machines. hotels are one thing but i can't imagine "house n!ggers" as malcolm X put it, it would be too unseemly to most people and not at all classy, you could put some skillwires into them with a british english linguasoft to try and class it up but thats a lot of money. Noam Chomsky in describing "the evils of capitalism" recycles an old argument used by pro-slavery thinkers that one would expect a car that someone bought and owned for a year to be in better shape than a car someone merely rented for a year (similarly the sharecropping system had a lot of advantages to the older slavery system).
-at first it might seem like sex is another area where modernization is going to fail to compete with old fashion slavery. but i think there's a lot of possibilities in the "house of blue lights" described by gibson (and copied into SR as "bunraku"). people down on their luck could become part time prostitutes for a few hours and not even remember it. online brothels with no possibility of disease is going to appeal to a untapped markets of people hesitant with old fashion brothels and probably a lot of women.

on another note:
skilled labor might be hard to come by with the collapse of public education, indentured servitude and long term internship might be the way to go as described in gibson's "Fragments of a Hologram Rose".
Nikoli
So, in essence, what you are saying is, this sort of operation should be reserved more for organ legging than slave-trade?
otomik
yes, slavery doesn't make much economic sense anymore (well, except in some places and small fringe economies). Things change for a variety of reasons and people tend to compliment themselves by assuming that the world is becoming increasingly moral and people are changing for those reasons alone. There's similar thoughts relating to feminism and independence of former colonies.

Organ-legging is an entirely new animal.
Snow_Fox
You could have slave labor but be more subtle, hire corp wage slaves, put them in a nice facility in the middle of on where. Sure mr jones, you can quite, just walk out the door.
"But we're in the middle of a desert."
"Should have thought of that before you quit boyo."

As a RL example when I left Xerox in the 90's it was because they were moving the office from Connecticut to Florida. A year befoire they had closed the office in Boston and told the staff there "you want to stay with Xerox you've got to move 200 miles ot the Stamford office. Then they were telling us "You want to stay with Xerox you've got to move to Florida" effectively tearing up all connection to your life and tying yourself to the corp. They expected 60% of the staff to go, they got 13% because we didn't want to be such slaves.
Necro Tech
Problem with organ legging is the initial quality of your specimen. If you live in a zone where life is cheap, so are your organs. Bad food, squalid living conditions and no health care= garbage product. Plus you lose money because all the cargo must be delivered alive (harvested organs don't last long) and you have to check for disease/defects from your patients. Low end organ legging should always be done locally. Don't forget to sideline by feeding the ghouls the left overs.

Maximize your revenue streams. biggrin.gif
Glyph
The trouble with illicit businesses is that if your customers can find you, so can other people. Not only people who might want to shut you down for moral reasons, but also competing criminals (especially bad with big organizations, which tend to either squash the competition like a bug or "offer" them the opportunity to work for them - giving up the lion's share of the profit to them, of course), city or corporate officials looking for bribes, law enforcement agencies (which may not care, if you're kidnapping people from the Barrens, but they'll come down on you hard if the "wrong" person disappears, even if your group didn't do it). Plus, the "market" might already be saturated with other budding entrepreneurs with better connections and/or more economies of scale.

Be sure your GM is okay with this, because not every GM will want to run a campaign where the PCs are things like orphanage-bombing terrorists, serial rapists, pedophiles, or slavers. Some GMs like moral ambiguity but prefer for the PCs to be the "good guys"... at least relatively speaking.
RedmondLarry
The slave trade business came up as a topic in January.
How much is a metahuman worth?
What to do with a Metahuman?

I don't think there is enough money in it for Shadowrunners to make a living, as a gang can deliver a person of any sex or race for 1000 nuyen.gif.
cheezypoof714
The trouble with illicit businesses is that if your customers can find you, so can other people. Not only people who might want to shut you down for moral reasons, but also competing criminals (especially bad with big organizations, which tend to either squash the competition like a bug or "offer" them the opportunity to work for them

Yes,I would agree.I would definitely have to line some politicians/law enforcement pockets.As far as competition.It will be met with a Tony Montana type attitude.On the other hand that didn't fare so well for him.I am starting to believe the highest profit does lay in the organ/tissue sales,but I think a close second would be,yes,you guessed it....sex slaves.

I would knock the simsense market on it's ass..It will be the next big thing.Bigger than disco.You won't be a somebody until you have one.O.K.,maybe I'm getting a little carried away,but you get the picture.I mean who needs BTL chips when you can have the real thing.I won't discriminate either.I will sell men to women if the price is right.

Oh,by the way,thanks for all the suggestions.
cheezypoof714
Sorry to double post,but I also take custom orders. biggrin.gif
CircuitBoyBlue
I would have to agree with some of the previous posters in saying that slavery wouldn't be an economically feasible enterprise in areas with a high cost of living (like Seattle or any other city). Of course, there are a lot of screwed up places in the shadowrun world, even in North America (Cascade Ork comes to mind).

As for BTL, I definitely think its worth a lot more than actual slaves. A kid can slot a BTL without his parents' knowledge, and he can do it as often as he wants, for one simple down payment.
Snow_Fox
Actually no, most BTL's have a limited number of runs, then they burn out, other wise there wouldn't be a constant market for the pushers.
CircuitBoyBlue
Oh, that makes sense. I was just saying the chip's more convenient.
Arethusa
That's not exactly true. Once you can traffic goods, you can traffic anything from truckloads of guns to cars full of drugs to cans full of people. Certainly, there will not be a market for people in Seattle as there would be in some of the seedier South East Asian cities, but that doesn't mean that Seattle's less pleasant areas would not have any demand at all. Crime organization-run industry (eg drug refineries) to brothels to organlegging, there is a market, and there are people with the resources to tap into it. It's highly doubtful anyone makes a business solely out of running people into an area in Seattle, but that's not to say it can't happen.
Raptor1033
yeah the problem with trying to set up an organ legging or sex slave trade is exactly what glyph said. the competition that has already entrenched itself won't have any problem adding you to their stock. with organ-legging you have to compete with Tanamous (sp?) and with the sex-slave trade you gotta compete with the Triads or the Seoulpa rings, i don't remember which. trying to cut in on either organization's trade could be excessively hazardous to your health. personally, i wouldn't try competing with them, i'd try to buddy up with them somehow and get as much that way as i can.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Problem with organ legging is the initial quality of your specimen.
<stuff cut>
Maximize your revenue streams. biggrin.gif

Well, if you really have bad quality.... sell them to any bug hives you might know.... I'm sure they're more than happy for more live hosts.

Can you see an adventure where a group of smugglers are actually selling them to a bug hive? So wrong, but for some if the creds good....
The Question Man
What do slaves run for these days?

Who's are the big players?

Where are the big slave markets?

Why do you need slaves? When you have the SINless.

Cheerful thoughts

QM

Young Freud
QUOTE (The Question Man)
What do slaves run for these days?

Are you talking nowadays, or in 206X?

This Infoplease entry on modern slavery mentions that slaves can be bought for as little as $15 in the Sudan.

Also, there's more than one type of slavery. Everyone is most familiar with chattel slavery, in which people are individual's property, and sex slavery, but there's also bonded labor (enslavement to pay off debts), forced labor (slavery usually through government or political factions and always through physical intimidation), and forced marriages.

Who's are the big players?

From what I can think of, the Yakuza (in fact, I think the adventure Dragon Hunt had a scene in which the players entered a hostess bar in which the hostesses where all bodysculpted to appear the same and are meat puppets with mental blocks), the Triads and the Russian Mafiya/Organitskaya, both, who IRL, have a history of human trafficking. In fact, it's possible. These are the guys who seduce girls into prostitution and ship them overseas so it's impossible for them to escape the life. For actually chattel slaves, I'm not sure who would be in the tops for that.

Why do you need slaves? When you have the SINless.

You don't even need to be SINless to be a slave. Why do you think they call them wage slaves? The megacorps pay them just enough to get by, but not too much to get comfortable, otherwise they might start slacking off or start thinking of leaving the company to find better work, start their own businesses or improve themselves. Working extended hours also keeps the employee's mind clear and from looking for more fulfilling work. More ingenious tactics against the modern laborer is repression of labor unions, isolating them from major population centers (someone mentioned this above, but it also allows the corps to force their employees to buy goods through the company store and put them in debt to the company; something that happened often during the Gilded Age), and cultural indoctrination. And that's all legal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012