Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rigger Vehicle Design made easier
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadow
First of all, this is not to replace the books, just to make vehicle design easier. I recently played a rigger for the first time in 3rd ed. Boy, was it complicated to design a vehicle. Heck, it took me a week of reading, and re-reading the rules to even begin to figure them out. (Note to FanPro: realism is only needed in the real world).

So I created a little spread sheet to help me out. it does most of the math, and most of the final calculations. I am neither Mcmackie or Dashifen, so don't expect to much. You just plug in the numbers and it will tell you how much your vehicle costs, the AV and the final stats.

You have to calculate the design points for each piece of equipment your self. But that all you do.

For Example:

Armor costs 50 DP per level. I want 6 levels. So in the DP collum I put 300 DP. Having 6 levels of armor reduces handling so you need to slide over and put a +1 in handling.

Red numbers are negatives by the way. To input a negative number just put a - before it.

Example:

If anyone wants to improve it or has questions about feel free to post it here. If you do want to tinker with it and repost it, that's fine, just give credit where credit is do smile.gif

Shadows Rigger Vehicle Design Spreadsheet Version 1.0!
Kagetenshi
Meh, it's not that complicated. A few days reading over the vehicle creation/design section, a few hours doing the actual creation, and a good memory are all you need.

~J
Shadow
Well I guess if you have plenty of time to read them then yes, it isn't. But a couple of days is a lot of time if you have a full time job, a wife and a child. I can't spend three hours making a vehicle every time I want one. I did this to help me, and I thought it might help others.

You didn't have to respond if you didn't have anything nice to say. I put a lot of effort into this, thanks for making me feel like I waisted my time.
Frag-o Delux
I am not a programmer either but, I did the same thing in excel. Except I plugged in all the stuff. All you have to do is click the options you want and plug in the level you want, then it gives you a final read out at the bottom. Problem though it is wide and long so it is really hard to read, except for me because I know where to look. I still have to go through and make sure all the math is right and the numbers add up in the end. So I think it is far from perfect as of right now.

I did it reallly to learn all the tricks in Excel, like marcos and embedding the math functions. I even have clear fields buttons for the options and as a whole or just for the power plant or chassis. Pretty neat.

I am thinking of plugging in all the canon vehicles so you can customize them.

The only downfall is, I don't carry my laptop to the games. I even went so far as to scan all my books so they can be searchable, with bookmarks on key pages. I still carry all my books and do everything on paper.
Apathy
I personally hate all the rules I have to remember in order to play a rigger or a decker, so I appreciate any tools you might offer that will make my life easier.

After all, we can't all be as smart as Kage. frown.gif
Frag-o Delux
That is what I will do tomorrow, work on the Matrix stuff, I need something to kill some time.
cha-cha
Hey Frag-o Delux...any chance of us...er...me I should say, taking a peek at the dandy spreadsheet you seemed to have put together, with all the praise, adulation, and proper citation at my game table of course. And Shadow..great sheet...I like it a lot. Agreed, sometimes the math can be a little off putting to many, so any help you can give my players is very appreciated. You made one player's life easier this week, I can tell you that much (just sent him a copy and he wanted me to say thanks..all my players are BANNED from this board cos we play 2054 style smile.gif !!!).

Thanks again to both you guys biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Shadow)
Well I guess if you have plenty of time to read them then yes, it isn't. But a couple of days is a lot of time if you have a full time job, a wife and a child. I can't spend three hours making a vehicle every time I want one. I did this to help me, and I thought it might help others.

You didn't have to respond if you didn't have anything nice to say. I put a lot of effort into this, thanks for making me feel like I waisted my time.

It may not have been particularly constructive as a comment, but it was intended to be more wry than serious.

And Apathy, the word you want in this case is "obsessive" smile.gif

~J
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (cha-cha @ Jun 23 2004, 05:09 PM)
Hey Frag-o Delux...any chance of us...er...me I should say, taking a peek at the dandy spreadsheet you seemed to have put together, with all the praise, adulation, and proper citation at my game table of course. And Shadow..great sheet...I like it a lot. Agreed, sometimes the math can be a little off putting to many, so any help you can give my players is very appreciated. You made one player's life easier this week, I can tell you that much (just sent him a copy and he wanted me to say thanks..all my players are BANNED from this board cos we play 2054 style  smile.gif !!!).

Thanks again to both you guys  biggrin.gif

Let me dig it out. My computer had a critical melt down a few months ago. I quickly backed up all my files but have not dug them back out. Like I said I dont use it, so I haven't been in a hurry to get it out.

I have about 5 legal pads with just abotu every possible vehicle configuration already figured out. All I have to do is look up Sedan, Fuel Cell, then total some pre-figured options and 10 minutes later I have a car. So the program I hardly ever used. I like the feel of pen and paper.
hobgoblin
compared to matrix the rigger3 rules are complicated way beyond belife. atleast if its the deck creation rules your talking about and not the general useage of riggers and deckers in the game as most of that boils down to skill tests with special modifiers to the targetnumbers.
BGMFH
I made one of these sheets back in the old forums, bank when myself and Fortune made up 3/4 of the total posts...

Gods I miss those days...
Shadow
I haven't seen Fortune in months, I hope the old man is okay. You still have it BGMFH?
BGMFH
Unfortunately, no.
I emailed it to lots of people, then a failure predicting hard drive failed to predict a few months later.
Did you know a 30gb SCSI hard disk can take 4 direct hits from a .357magnum at 15feet before it cracks up?
Shadow
Good news everyone smile.gif

I tinkered with the sheet a little (after making a couple of vehicles) and I made it more user friendly.

No enhancements I'm afraid, just design improvements. If anyone is willing to work on this and make it better, please do! I would be happy to continue to host it, I just don't think there is anything else I can do to make this more feature full.

Shadow's Vehicle Design Sheet Version 2.0

I will probably make one more version. I will add comments explaining what's what.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012