Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for site to host SR maps
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Backgammon
I started making some maps using Visio of stuff like appartment buildings and corp offices. I don't have many right now, but I plan on making a lot since my players rebelled and forced me to make decent maps. Also, knowing how much GMs like these sort of things, I thought it'd be nice to share with everyone. Problem is I don't have a website, so I thought someone else might be willing to serve as a distribution point for them.

At worst you could just ask me to email them to you, but these things get pretty big in size. I think if I make them jpegs though they'll be smaller.
Luke Hardison
How much traffic are you expecting? There's several free hosting sites on the web, but many of them limit your number of views / downloads per month. Take a look at www.strike9.com, they've been good to me with my hosted signature / avatar pics and whatnot.
Liquid_Obsidian
just get a an old crappy Pontium 75 and 20 Gb o' HD , then linux and dyndns or no-ip are your friends ... and wait for me o be your best client ever since i crawled the web for thousands of hours looking for decent plans to dl (yeah , those home demo plans are really crappy...)

advertise the site on this board when it's up , good luck
Liquid
Kagetenshi
How large are they? I'd be glad to host them if they aren't huge; got plenty of unused space and bandwidth over on SotSW.

~J
Backgammon
I made the Visios into jpegs, and it comes out to about 100k per map. Pretty decent. Right now I've got 6, soon to be 9 as I'm finishing up an office tower set. I'll have new maps every month or so, since I make them on a per mission basis for my group.
Nikoli
Click the link in my sig, she can even set up a professional site for you. it's not free, but there is space and no annoying pop-ups
Kagetenshi
If you want me to host them, just send 'em to my username @kanshishakage.net . If not, let me know where I can find them smile.gif

~J
Kagetenshi
They're up. I'll make an actual page and put the descriptions in sometime tomorrow, or rather later today. Sleep calls now.

~J
MrSandman666
Awesome maps! The measurements seems a bit odd for the appartments but other then that they are really great. Didn't know you could do great floorplans like this with Visio...
Backgammon
QUOTE (MrSandman666)
Awesome maps! The measurements seems a bit odd for the appartments but other then that they are really great. Didn't know you could do great floorplans like this with Visio...

Whats wrong with the measurements? Apartments too big/too small? Strange shape? I didn't know what the average size of an apartment was... But keep in mind those are sqaure meters, no feet.
Thanos007
VERY nice. Wish I had the patiance and skill to do maps like that. What program are you using and how much does it cost? Whats the learning curve on it? Would maps from other sources be allowed? The German SR site has some pretty good maps as well. I'd like to see them all in one place.

Thanos
MrSandman666
The appartments seem a bit too small compared to the hall/stairs. The size of 80 mē seems okay as an average but they just don't look like 80 mē to me. They do look a lot smaller. I believe I can judge that since I just had a few weeks of appartment-hunting and finally rented an appartment which is about 54 mē large and that looks at least as large as yours on the floorplans.
So, either your appartments are drawn too small or the hall/stairs are huge!

But then again I'm bad at estimating, so this is to be taken with a grain of salt. It's just my impression.
Abstruse
I've been off-and-on looking for an apartment for a few months and staring at a LOOOOOT of blueprints. The scales look just about right to me.

The restrooms in the office look a bit small, though. Generally, there'll be 1 stall for every 100 employees in each restroom, and you'll rarely have just one restroom on a floor, usually one on each side of a floor. If you don't have enough restrooms, you get problems with OSHA, and I'm sure the Corporate Court has something similar to those regulations (even if they are rarely enforced). And I wish MY cubicals were that big! They're generally called "break rooms" not "kitchens" unless there's an actual cafeteria.

GREAT work though.

The Abstruse One
Backgammon
Thanos: I'm using Microsoft Visio. Mine sort of "fell off the back of a p2p network" so I don't know how much it costs nyahnyah.gif. Right now it's taking me 2-3 hours per map. Most of it is pretty straightforward and intuitive. It mostly involves dragging icons around. I don't know about accepting other sources. Thanks to Shadd4d and Eismann, the maps probably will end up on shadowrun.de, but they want me to do the ground floors for the office buildings first, to have complete buildings.

Sandman: Visio automatically calculates the size of the rooms. You just drag the little icon into an enclosed room, and it ajusts and displays surface area. The stairs are unmodified dragged-on stencils. So the proportions should be right.

Abtruse: Thanks for restroom point. I'll keep that in mind for the next maps. The cubicles are also unmodified icons, so I guess Visio just likes to think cubicles aren't made too small. Considering this is Shadowrun, I can really see cubicles being TINY considering most employees are jacked in anyway. But office_1 is an example straight out of Visio, so I take no responsibility for it being out of whack in any way.

Kagetenshi: you didn't put up the rest of the text files?

And thanks for the praises everyone!
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Thanos007 @ Jun 25 2004, 09:57 AM)
VERY nice. Wish I had the patiance and skill to do maps like that. What program are you using and how much does it cost? Whats the learning curve on it? Would maps from other sources  be allowed? The German SR site has some pretty good maps as well. I'd like to see them all in one place.

I'd be glad to host any and all maps offered, but at this point I'm not going to actively pursue the rights to host copies (I'd happily host them if someone else secures such permission). I didn't manage to put the page up today (obviously), but when I get it up I might put some of my own maps in.

For maps, I personally use Vectorworks (specifically, Version 9), which is available for the low, low price of $995.00. Yeah, unless you are an architect or someone in your family is, this probably isn't for you.

Edit: I was going to paste the text files onto the page I put up. I'll stick them up in the interim, though.

~J
Kagetenshi
Working on the page now; just wanted to alert Backgammon that I'm doing some editing of his text for spelling and soforth.

~J
Backgammon
Me fail english? That's unpossible!

Thanks Kage grinbig.gif
Kagetenshi
Anytime. I just have to figure out why FTP always likes to conk out when I'm in the middle of a Shadowrun game and thus can't restart dead.gif

~J
Kagetenshi
Anytime. I just have to figure out why FTP always likes to conk out when I'm in the middle of a Shadowrun game and thus can't restart dead.gif

~J
Backgammon
You can now get the country house map at shadowrun.de. More maps to come when I get off my lazy ass and finish what I started!
Ivanhoe
QUOTE (MrSandman666)
The appartments seem a bit too small compared to the hall/stairs. The size of 80 mē seems okay as an average but they just don't look like 80 mē to me. They do look a lot smaller.

I think that after the awakening, many architects may have taken into account the additional space needed for orks (and occasionally trolls) to feel comfortable. A 3 meters width is pretty large today but it may be the 2060s standard.

Just my 2 nuyens
Thanos007
Just wondering if this whole maps thing shouldn't be in community projects?

Thanos
Backgammon
Nonsense. nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
I was actually thinking of opening a thread there for map submissions, but I want to, y'know, actually put up the map page first dead.gif

~J the terminally lazy
Thanos007
Nonsense. 

Why?

Thanos
Backgammon
The smiley indicates that was a joke. It might as well be a Community Project.
mrobviousjosh
Those maps do look great. Thanks for the invite to use them, I'm sure we will. If you need another webhost feel free to PM me and I'll upload them all. I've got plenty of space and bandwidth each month for my work website so it's not a big deal. We look forward to your new maps.
Kagetenshi
Neither space nor bandwidth are a concern, unless my traffic is going to jump by about thirty gigs/month.

~J
mrobviousjosh
Okay, that's cool. I just know people who always want me to mirror stuff for them, regardless of size, and I've gotten used to it by now, lol. Well, if you ever need, the offer still stands.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012