Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please put some Greece on my player's a$$
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Liquid_Obsidian
More seriously, after a BIG screwin' in UCAS my players had to move from America and they choosed Greece , as i don't have mutch knowledge about this place personnally and that it won't be covered in SoE i'd like some Greek (or not)people to gimme info and/or ideas and/or cannon references about greece (i know there's some lines 'bout Greece in PAoE in wild minotaur section...)

thanks a lot
Liquid
Young Freud
The Sixth World doesn't have much on it either. Only a mention of a Saeder-Krupp presence in the country and a reference to the EU collapse. Oh, and it's a parliamentary republic.

Outside of this, it's free game. One of the things I can think of off the top of my head is a reheated confrontation, whether as a cold war or hot one, with Turkey, especially over Cyprus or the oil reservoirs in the Aegean Sea (in reality, these are really just new crisis over the same conflict. Check out this Wikipedia entry on Greco-Turkish relations for the full skinny and a detailed history of Cyprus conflict). The only thing that defused these crisises was the UN, and with the collapse of the international organizations, increased tensions or even a full-blown war between Greece and Turkey could be expected after 2033.

On Edit: If your location is accurate, it shouldn't be hard to find, but try and find the film Z by Costas-Gravas. While the country is unnamed, the movie is a fictionalized account of a real-life murder of a popular politician, it's coverup by the government, and the military coup in Greece.
FlakJacket
There's a brief mention on Athens and the Greek city-states in the Tourism section of State of the Art 2064. If you can track down a copy of Paranormal Animals of Europe it contains a number of creatures and animals that inhabit the Hellenic region.

Cyberpirates had a small bit on piracy in the Mediterranean I believe. The Balkans are pretty much a shithole or warring ethnic enclaves- think early nineties when Serbia went on its grand Balkan invasion tour. Locally to either side, Italy is still together although Threats 2 has the information on that and SotA details Turkey balkanising with Istanbul becoming an independent city-state of its own.

Eastern Europe is an unknown though. Russia still controls Poland so almost certainly still has the Baltic states as well. Likewise the Ukraine. Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovenia and Slovakia are all aparently independent.

And now some Random Guesswork™. smile.gif I could easily see Russia still owning Moldova and Romania. Bulgaria possibly as well although they could be independent and get dragged in to the Balkans since they're so far down South.

With Cyprus, I'd figure that it would have been reunited by the 2050/2060's. With no other countries- bar Turkey- recognising it and the attendent sanctions, their only supporter having broken up they'd be pretty much had it. If you want to keep the tensions going though I'm sure you could fudge still having a split nation. Also, I can't really see the UK giving up its military bases since they're sovereign territory and just way too useful.
Synner
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
There's a brief mention on Athens and the Greek city-states in the Tourism section of State of the Art 2064. If you can track down a copy of Paranormal Animals of Europe it contains a number of creatures and animals that inhabit the Hellenic region.

I can confirm the material in SOTA63 is at least partially drawn from stuff that didn't make it into SoE but remains on the drawing board for eventual use.

The official name of the place is the Federal Republic of Hellas, its also known as the Federation of Hellenic Free States and as the City-States of Greece.
FlakJacket
63? Whoops, my bad. Looks like I'm getting ahead of myself. smile.gif
Nath
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
And now some Random Guesswork™. smile.gif I could easily see Russia still owning Moldova and Romania. Bulgaria possibly as well although they could be independent and get dragged in to the Balkans since they're so far down South.

A bit unlikely since there's an independant Ukraine in between.
FlakJacket
Is Ukraine independent though? I thought they were still part of the semi-Evil Empire? SotA doesn't really say from what I recall. I thought at best they were semi-independent and trying to get more freedom/break away.
Nath
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Is Ukraine independent though? I thought they were still part of the semi-Evil Empire? SotA doesn't really say from what I recall. I thought at best they were semi-independent and trying to get more freedom/break away.

T:SH says (from the Russian PoV) that issues with Belarus, Ukraine and several other CIS, with Polish support, started the Euro-War I. When Euro-War 2 started, the Russian forces had to withdraw from Ukraine and other area. SOTA63 says at the end of the Euro-Wars, Ukraine sent warships to defend the fresh independance of Constantinople. In SSG the entry for Odessa says Ukraine, not CIS or something (while Oslo is in the "Scandinavian Union"). I know no source to suggest a Russian influence on Ukraine.
Ancient History
Hrm.

The Ukraine is prime hunting-grounds for the Atlantean Foundation and other "let's dig up the ancient magical past" and "let's keep the ancient maical past and anyone digging it up buried" groups. Teachedaire has a passport there, too.

Aside from the fact that a number of paranormal critters (including two weird dragon-related species; the hydra-wyrm and the gorgon) call Greece home; and it also plays host to satyrs (ork and non-ork), minotaurs (troll and non-troll), centaurs, etc. The government has some trouble with these things, both protecting the endangered species from poachers (such as the Pegasus) and protecting citizens/tourists from encroaching critters (such as the Cerebus hound).
FlakJacket
Hhmm, how very odd. Several book from different editions say different things. IIRC the Calozerca bit of Dragons still has a Russian backed government in Poland, it's mentions rebel Polish groups and their calling in Russian special forces. Not really the sort of thing you'd ask from a country that invaded you a short while back.

Basically eastern europe is a mess and we need to sit down some time and sort out all the different references. If Poland's gone then I could easily see Ukraine going as well. If Poland still has a puppet government in place though then they'd probably also control Belarus and the Baltics since they're inbetween. If they did control all of that, then Ukraine would be more likely.

Although after re-reading some of the bits, I don't think that Russia's still occupying the Ukraine. The mentions of liberal relations with the corps suggest it. Whether it's outright independence though I don't know. Leaning that way though.
Synner
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Jun 26 2004, 02:29 AM)
Hhmm, how very odd. Several book from different editions say different things. IIRC the Calozerca bit of Dragons still has a Russian backed government in Poland, it's mentions rebel Polish groups and their calling in Russian special forces. Not really the sort of thing you'd ask from a country that invaded you a short while back.

Basically eastern europe is a mess and we need to sit down some time and sort out all the different references. If Poland's gone then I could easily see Ukraine going as well. If Poland still has a puppet government in place though then they'd probably also control Belarus and the Baltics since they're inbetween. If they did control all of that, then Ukraine would be more likely.

Believe me it is consistent. Russia's relationship with Poland and its neighbours will be made clear soon enough wink.gif and the whole patchwork image from T:SH, SSG and DotSW will make all the sense.

Although after re-reading some of the bits, I don't think that Russia's still occupying the Ukraine. The mentions of liberal relations with the corps suggest it. Whether it's outright independence though I don't know. Leaning that way though.

SOTA63's Constantinople/Istambul and SSG's Odessa suggest the Ukraine has been making moves all its own since shortly after the Euro Wars1.2. IIRC SOTA actually says Constantinople was recognized by the Ukraine (rather than the CIS or Russia et al).
otaku mike
The map of Europe in SoE will hopefully answer some questions (and probably raise new ones devil.gif )
Liquid_Obsidian
QUOTE (otaku mike)
The map of Europe in SoE will hopefully answer some questions (and probably raise new ones devil.gif )

Hey guys , i just took 5 days of vacation and my lil asking about greece turned to a eastern europe thread , any greek poster on the board that could send me some info about every day life in greece ?
Synner
The one regular Greek poster I knew of on Dumpshock vanished a couple of years back. I doubt you'll find anyone around but wish you luck.

Regarding the country, I'd just like to note that getting trampled by the AfA hordes during the Euro Wars is going to make a huge difference in regards to what life in Greece is in 2064 (even though the War was 30 years ago). Greece is one of the major battlefields at the beginning and end of the Jihad.

While Greece isn't given a chapter of its own in SoE, the details of Euro Wars 1.2. are in the Eurohistory chapter and there's some tidbits about it spread throughout the book. It also gets a paragraph or so in the Rest of Europe section which together with the SOTA63 material should give you a general idea of atmosphere and current geo-politics of the region.
Kagetenshi
In Greece, the shops open whenever the shopkeepers feel like, close on the same schedule, kids up to the age of ten stay out on the playground until midnight, people treat trash as biodegradable, and if you look American, British, Canadian, Australian, or some other English-speaking nationality, people will walk up to you on the street with questions about pronunciation.

~J
Aesir
I guess your main source of information should be the upcoming Shadows of Europe. I would take a look at some old Earthdawn material as well. Look at a map of Barsive, find what looks as Greece, read about that area if you find it.

As a sidenote: Does anybody know if the new version of Earthdawn is any good. I donīt like that its made by a different company. Maybe we should stick with the old Fasa stuff, right?
Kagetenshi
I've been reading the core rulebook and it's ok so far (still in the chargen parts, so nothing too meaty yet); I haven't read the original FASA stuff so I can't compare.

~J
Raife
There isn't a lot on Greece in the SR universe, which really gives you a ton of freedom for creativity.

Here are a few sites that should help you a immensly.

http://www.eot.gr/ - Modern Tourism Site
http://odysseas.gnto.gr/map/map.html - Online Maps of Greece
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Greece - History of Greece

Now here is the FUN part.
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002Sep/...20904016180.htm

Now I know this law was a fluke, and that the Greeks aren't techno-phobic. But wouldn't it be fun if players with cyberware were treated like metahumans in other countries? Don't make it illegal, just create an intense social atmosphere.

They have hard times getting good service at restraunts, their Johnsons negotiates harder with them, that kind of thing. Basically double all the Charisma modifiers that usually come with being overly cybered, and make them have the modifiers even for having a datajack. Oh, and make people much better at spotting cyberware (like a -2 tn for even the most common man).

Hope this helps, happy running!
LaughingTiger
QUOTE (Aesir)
Does anybody know if the new version of Earthdawn is any good. I donīt like that its made by a different company. Maybe we should stick with the old Fasa stuff, right?

This question really depends on what you're looking for. Metaplot? Art? Rules?

It's basically the same game, with some minor rules changes and some new additions. The Metaplot is taking a different turn from Fasa's old work, which is to be expected.

At the risk of sounding like another thread on this board, I don't care for LRG's artwork. It's too anime influenced for my tastes. The art from the Original book was stunning. Some of it even had an ancient Greecian feel to it that I loved. That perspective is gone now, but the game is still good. LRG doesn't have a big list of books coming out, so if you're just getting started, nab the old books any chance you can get. They're some of the best supplements out there.

Side Note: Man, I miss Bradstreet's shadowrun art.

Rant Hijack ended...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012