Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: B/R Projectile Weapons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
KawikaKeAloha
first of all: hi chummers. i'm new in this node. please consider that my english is not my mother tongue language. i do make grammatical and phrasing mistakes. just ignore them. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

my question: how do you apply rules to build your own projectile weapons? my char has a b/r projectile weapons skill of 6. i am desperately trying to understand what i can do with that particular skill? the only thing i can do with a "kit" is to make personalized grip, which really doesn't do me any good, cause a bow/crossbow doesn't even have recoil.

i want to build a copy of a ranger-x bow (str 9) except that i want it to have a lasersight (low power), have a better conceilability (about 4-5) and i shall be able to disassemble the bow (thus giving me a better conceilability of about 5-7). the whole bow shall be made of ceramics.

how would you approach this? would you just take the basic stats of the standard ranger-x bow check out an appropriate gun-model and use the standard rules for gun creation to accomplish this or would you go a far different approach?

and what street index would such a weapon have? and i'm talking nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif chummers. this shall become a "heavily orc-personalized" and "self-made" bow.

please enlighten me chummers. i am really starting to have doubts about the deeper sense of why my character is really alive for. frown.gif
Abstruse
It'd be your GM's call, but you can do all sorts of modifications on any weapon. Increasing the concealability of a 4 foot long bit of wood/metal/ceramics would be rather difficult though...seeing as no matter what you do to it, it's still a 4 foot long stick.

The Abstruse One
KawikaKeAloha
yeah, but the same goes to any weapon.

a 2.5 kilogram heavy predator III which is one foot long stay 2.5 kilogram heavy and is still one foot long, whatever you do to it.

i can think of several ways to improve the concielability of a bow on top of my head.

examples:

1. thin materials, making the bow more narrow
2. a small motor of some sort to be able to make the bow straight instead of curvy (for trasnportation)
3. extractable bows
4. bow which can be disassembled and assembled
5. coloring it with a non-glossy color
6. conceil the bow as a walking stick. on the press of a button the internal motor is winding up the string and giving the bow the curvy back.
7. etc

i can probably think of several more things if i invest a couple of minutes into this. but i think you get the picture.
Zazen
I think it'll be tough to find a laser sight made entirely of ceramic. Other than that, your only limit is your GMs patience and your imagination smile.gif
Buzzed
A ceramic bow wouldn't have any flexebility, therefore it would have a lower power I would assume. Actually, without any spring back, how would the bow work at all?
Crusher Bob
Note that advances in materials technology may make a 'flexible ceramic' possible. A non-metallic bow of X-bow is trivially possible.
Callidus
I would say that making a non-metalic bow would by faaaar easier to use wood like now-a-days in lamenated strips that or you could go for carbon-fibre but I'm not sure how well cf bows last....

<edit spelling d'oh>
Buzzed
Well a flexible ceramic wouldn't be 100% ceramic I would assume. I can imagine flexible ceramics being used as an earthquake safe building material, but not a bow material. Why not use plexsteel instead?

Plastics make it possible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012