Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Troll sized today and ready for the future
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Da9iel
Sorry about the scatology, but it's true! I mean this urinal we have at work is perfectly troll sized! Have you seen anything else in your daily life that is ready for the SR future in one way or another?
KillaJ
Are you talking about one of those trough-style ones like they have at the baseball games? Also I suppose a troll could save some nuyen if he went to one of those "If you eat it all, its free" restaraunts. Probably not too many around in the sixth world though.
Nikoli
All I know is I feel for my Troll brethren, at 6'2" most cars are uncomfortable, I shudder to think how they feel.
Da9iel
Nope. I mean an individual 3 feet wide by 5 feet tall urinal. It's freakishly large for just one person.
Garland
The buffet would probably cost more for trolls. Sort of like charging more for adults than for children. When I run a game, trolls got it tough.

N
Nikoli
I've seen those, it's like your own private porcelin waterfall.
KillaJ
QUOTE (Da9iel)
Nope. I mean an individual 3 feet wide by 5 feet tall urinal. It's freakishly large for just one person.

Boy thats got to be intimidating. What sort of madman thought this up?
Da9iel
QUOTE (Nikoli)
All I know is I feel for my Troll brethren, at 6'2" most cars are uncomfortable, I shudder to think how they feel.

In every game I've ever played, no one seems to put enough role playing effort into how much of a pain in the butt it is to be around 1% of the population that is just that darn big. I guess I've seen overweight people who might fit into that level of inconvenience, but even 6'2" is nothing compared to what a poor troll would have to live with.
Kagetenshi
Any chance you can give us a picture of this freakish urinal?

~J
Nikoli
That's my point. I'm 4 inches taller than most of the designs are spec'd for, this includes kitchens, mass transit, counter tops, cubicles, chairs, etc. My back hurts when I try to help out around the house, because I have to hunch over for long periods. Trolls got it much worse than the orcs. who cares if you can soak anti-materiel weaponry if your day to day life sucks because everything is meant for someone 2/3rd your height.
Da9iel
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Any chance you can give us a picture of this freakish urinal?

~J

Sorry, no digital camera. Even if I did, I'd have trouble convincing one of my co-workers to stand next to it for scale comparison frown.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Nikoli)
who cares if you can soak anti-materiel weaponry if your day to day life sucks because everything is meant for someone 2/3rd your height.

People who are being shot at.

~J
Prospero
You have to think that the avg. height that things are built for is going to have to go up. I mean, beyond Trolls, Elves and Orks are generally taller than humans by a good few inches, and they make up a significant percentage of the population. Plus, have you seen the % breakdown of metatypes in SoNA for the UCAS? Trolls are a whopping 7% - there are now more Trolls in the UCAS than Dwarves! eek.gif That right there has got to affect things.
Fresno Bob
I can relate. I'm 6'0 and my head scrapes the roof of a lot of cars. It must suck for trolls.
Nephyte
I wanna know how trolls are infiltrating most corp-facilities. Sure they make great munchkins, but at 9'4" on average, there just ain't any way you're gonna be stealthy about a lot of stuff nyahnyah.gif

How many GM's out there play up the inconvenience of being a troll inside a corp facility. Most buildings today, are built with a 8ft ceiling, 9ft on the occaision but very rare. Why? Cause it costs a lot more money everytime you're adding height to a building. I doubt many offices would spec for 10ft ceilings. Specially cause it would mean you'd have to remodel most floors of any existing building. Most Cement Ceiling are 10ft (thus giving you 2 feet in the T-Bar for all your construction stuff. Air ducts, Plumbing, Sprinklers, Electrical...

I have joyful thoughts about a 9ft plus troll with a Dikoted Katana inside an office building getting screwed cause he can't even stand up straight, nevermind swing a sword. biggrin.gif
KillaJ
Thats why I like the combat troll with a smashing blow geased to mighty bellow. That way he just smashes through everything in his way Hulk-style!
Zazen
At a local diner there's a urinal that's normal sized but positioned really high. I'm 6'2 and I still don't use it for fear of getting my balls wet.

I guess that's an elf-sized urinal or something.
Fresno Bob
Assuming elves have long legs. They're like, 1.9 meters on average, right? That's like...6'3.
Sahandrian
QUOTE (KillaJ)
QUOTE (Da9iel)

The same one who made the mouth-shaped kind?

I forget where I saw those. Some news article about a place that put them in, then was asked to remove them...
KillaJ
I think I heard of them in the UK someplace. Not sure though.
Abstruse
I'm 6'3" tall and a big guy. It SUCKS. I can't even get into most modern sports cars without taking off my head at the neck and setting it in my lap it seems. I have horrible posture because I have to slouch down to 6' - 6'1" to be able to sit comfortable in most place. And don't even get me started on the number of crap I bang my head into. Ceiling fans are the worst. I also wear size 16 shoes and it is IMPOSSIBLE to find shoes. I'm working right now to order a new pair and it's a pain to find something that doesn't look like I stole them from a bowling alley...and not in that cool way either.

The Abstruse One
Nikoli
No kidding, though I find rear hatch style doors on vans to be the worst. I think I have a permanent dent from the latch.
ethidium
My high school had dwarf-sized urinals. Every restroom had one or two normal ones, and one that was mounted at roughly shin- to knee- height and maybe 1/4 the target area of a normal urinal.
Kagetenshi
The smaller area is weird, but the lower mounting is, I think, actually required by law.

~J
DFense
QUOTE (Abstruse)
I'm 6'3" tall and a big guy. It SUCKS. I can't even get into most modern sports cars without taking off my head at the neck and setting it in my lap it seems. I have horrible posture because I have to slouch down to 6' - 6'1" to be able to sit comfortable in most place. And don't even get me started on the number of crap I bang my head into. Ceiling fans are the worst. I also wear size 16 shoes and it is IMPOSSIBLE to find shoes. I'm working right now to order a new pair and it's a pain to find something that doesn't look like I stole them from a bowling alley...and not in that cool way either.

The Abstruse One

Hey, I know what you're talking about. I'm 6'10" and not a basketball player. That's tough. Let me put it this way ... There are no cars at all for a troll if you base it even remotely on a normal chassis. And, strangely, the taller the car itself gets, the smaller the interior seems to become.

Sprts cars ... That's something I'll never see from the inside eek.gif
Nikoli
Sure you can, just buy a convertable and move to a desert
DFense
Well there are two problems with sports cars ... The first is the head - roof situation and the second problem would be where to put my legs.

Aside from that ... There's no desert anywhere close to germany to move to smile.gif
Snow_Fox
We play up problems with trolls but in RL most people don't think about Dwarf problems. I'm 5' 1" and petite. Small but normal but for example with small hands I have trouble with some pistols and on bikes I really can't handle anything more that 750 cc engines. Also I have to get clothes in Juniors( size 6) so normal sized BDU's and stuff don't fit me properly.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (KillaJ)
QUOTE (Da9iel)

Maybe they had a lot of bad shots using the previous one?
Sahandrian
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
but for example with small hands I have trouble with some pistols and on bikes I really can't handle anything more that 750 cc engines.

I'm in the opposite situation, I guess, cause I have really big hands. It's not a bad thing, but my sister still think's it's weird that I can hold those huge gas-station cups at the top cause my hand is bigger than the lid.

And I look really silly holding a popcorn mini-bag...

And the troll comments gave me an amusing mental image of a troll sqeezing himself into a normal-sized convertible, and looking rather like an adult male riding in one of those amusement park car rides for kids...
Phaeton
And this is why trolls make bad circus clowns---even those little cars with what seems like a Bag of Holding for a cabin can barely hold them. grinbig.gif
FlakJacket
Even with a regular car they'd probably have to yank out most of the seats and just have one troll sized one for them to fit comfortably. Imagine a troll trying to fit into one of those small commuter cars like a Jackrabbit? smile.gif
Sahandrian
That just reminds me of the Police Academy movies (first one?), where Hightower was learning to drive, and cut this guy off... The guy gets out and is about to start threatening him, before realizing Hightower was sitting in the back seat and driving, because he was too tall for the front...
Snow_Fox
You go high, I'll go low and we'll catch 'em in between.

I can always tell when my husband's used the home computer because he's moved the seat up (he's 10" taller than I am) in height.
Kanada Ten
I can always tell when my husband's used the home computer because he's moved the seat up (he's 10" taller than I am) in height.

Which reminds me of Homicide: Life of the Streets with the seat battle between Harris and Frank Pembleton. Harris was short and jacked the seat up to where Frank would bash his knees when he used the desk (first and second shifts).

You have to imagine that prisons would just build everything somewhere between Troll and Ork sized and everyone else be damned.
tisoz
I'm 6'4"+. I have owned Volkswagon Beetle and bus, Mazda RX7, Chevrolet Camaro's, Corvette's, Toyota Supra and Pickup, Ford Mustang, Mustang II, and driven many, many small cars, a vintage model T Ford fire engine was real interesting. (My friend owned a used car lot.) I never had much problem getting in and out of them. There used to even be an advertisement featuring Wilt Chamberlain driving a VW bug. The only car so far that I had a problem with is an MG Midget. Not that I have driven every small car.

The problem I find is putting on the extra pounds, being less flexible, having back problems. That makes getting in and out a huge pain. But I remember being able to stretch out on long drives in the RX7 by putting it on cruise, taking off my shoes, and putting my feet past the foot pedals all the way to the firewall. Maybe some of the problem has to do with how adjustable the seat is.

Trolls are another order of magnitude bigger, so I can see them having some problems. (BtW, the guy that told me about SR called me a 'troll' and I asked him why.)
Abstruse
I had neck pains for a week when I tried to to get into a Camero. And it takes me a full two minutes to squeeze into a 2001 Mustang.

The Abstruse One
locomotiveman
I've seen those tubsized urinals as well, but only in older hotels with bars. I really do think its a matter of aiming, and assuming that whoever is going to use it can't 'cas they are so sloshed. My father used to work for a small christian college that had purchused a former orphanage for its campus. Nearly all the restrooms were converted but at least one in the administration building was still, after 30 years of their having the place, designed for five year olds to be sitting on. Even when i was 12 my knees would be up at the level of my lower ribs using that toilet.
Snow_Fox
My husband has a Toyota, I drive a Saturn. He complains whenever he sits in the Saturn it's so low he feels like he's sitting in the road.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012