Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting in, through, and out of Seattle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
danzig138
So I was looking through the main book and New Seattle, and they both point out that there are three authorized land routes in and out of Seattle. But I didn't see any mention of border security, so I was curious to know which books, if any, might have more detail on the methods the SSC uses to stop people from going in and out of Seattle with impunity?

I always figured big walls might be cool, but have seen no mention of these. Monowire fencing? Random squads of sec forces (if so, with what kind of gear)? Land mines? Part of the reason I want to know is simple curiosity. Since I'm running the game, I like to know these things, but I'm also thinking about a run that would require the group to temporarily leave Seattle by land, and I need to know what difficulties they'd be up against.

Also, considering how bad Redmond and Puyallup are supposed to be, why hasn't the government created any physicals barriers between these areas and the rest of the metroplex? Public outcry? Financial considerations? Or have they, and once again, my ability to actually remember the words I've seen has failed me? Thanks.
FlakJacket
Target: Smuggler Havens has the details on what sort of border patrols and sensor ratings each of the different countries have as I recall.

Edit: Yup. Basically says that they operate an 'open border' system- you look like you belong and you wont be hassled. Standard border patrol is a four man team in a light scout vehicle. If they run into anything too big for them they call in the Salish Rangers who are a kind of paramilitary police force. Usually drive Citymasters although Hughes Stallions and anything up to APC's like Appaloosas are also used.

They also gave ratings for the different country's sensors and such, a kind of abstract view of what systems they have. For the Salish they were,

Sensor: 5
Flux: 6
ECCM: 4
ECD: N/A
Threat/Pro. Rating: 3/3

Now other scenarios and adventures have the Salish manning border posts on the main road routes between Seattle and them. I figure they do the standard border stuff there and you only get yanked if you look a bit suspicious or at random. Likewise, in the countryside if you just look like holidaymakers/campers they'll probably ignore you but if you're driving a truck and looking out of place they'll stop you to find out why you weren't using the main highways like normal people.
Backgammon
There's a mission in Renraku Arcology: Shutdown where the players have to go to Council Island. The security, just to go there, has 2 towers with MMGs mounted in them and loads of milspec guards. Now, granted, Council Island is full of diplomats, so you want to protect them, but I think you can abstract that to a level that shows border guards are not afraid to show heavy guns at borders. Right now, if you have guards with machine guns keeping an eye on the Canada/US border, people would freak. But things are differant in SR.

Also, I think the back of SoNA talks about borders and stuff. The ratings, like the ones Flak gave, are pretty usefull. If they try to cross somewhere else than the authorized points, you roll make a Sensors test to detect them. If they get detected, a partol comes pick them up and, at best, deports them, and at worst "talks" to them.
danzig138
Thanks for the info. It seems I need to catch up on my books. I don't have any of the ones you guys mentioned.
Snow_Fox
It's real old but NAN1 has a SS border crossing and the module Total Eclipse has people slipping through the border. At first it was painted like the belin wall but as SR eveloved it's become more like a titght international border, you can slip people through but vehicals are more difficult.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012