Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metaplot: Where are we now?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
PenAgain
Ok. I just got done swimming through the "Is SR Past its Prime?" Thread and it left me with a question that, frankly, astonished me. I've ben following the grand and glorious ED-SR Metaplot for a long time now, and I'm left with a weird question-

What is the current Metaplot about?

In the past, you could sum up the events in some way- Bugs, Horrors, Election, Comet... is there currently an arc that I am missing? I mean... what's out there that's looking ready to pop or ready to grow into an even grander threat/issue?

I suppose you could say Sheddim, but in a way they leave me just as cold as the Horror Clouds in LRG's ED Metaplot- en element that does not grab me (as of yet, anyways)

I guess I want to know if the groundwork has been laid for the Next Big Thing, or if anyone has any suspicions that it's coming up in the next few books, or what...

*shrug* I'm just waiting for the next piece of metaplot that knocks my socks off. Dot6W did that, I think- but mostly in a "God I love EarthDawn" sense.

Oh, and I want to repeat a question from the aforementioned thread that seems to have gotten lost...

Where is Tom Dowd these days?

--PenAgain
(I have some perhaps misguided belief that if I could just sit down in a room with Lou Prosperi and Tom Dowd my heart would explode and I would finally know everything there was to know about the 3 Worlds Metapot.)
booklord
Possible upcoming megaplot developments based on rumored upcoming sourcebooks "Loose Alliances", "Running Wild", "Shadows of Asia", and 'Flashpoint"
Tsimshian War

I think something is going to happen. Possibly in a rumored sourcebook called "Flashpoint".
----------------------------------------------------------------------
General Saito's California Protectorate and Ares

Could an actual military campaign break out between the two? If so that might appear in the again rumored "Flashpoint". In any event this situation is perfect for "Loose Alliances". Both the metahumans and humanist hate General Saito. Could you think of a looser alliance?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Aztlan War

Could war break out between CAS and Aztlan. Possibly then that would go under "Flashpoint". It's also likely that the Yucatan rebels having taken quite the beating might be looking for some "Loose Alliances".
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tir Tairngire

Another possible canidate for "Loose Alliances". Just how many assassination attempts is Lugh up to anyway? And now he's got a dragon who is likely working against him in the council and factions working against him because he allowed that dragon in.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghostwalker

The pale dragon made some cryptic promises in DotSW. Think he'll live up to them?
"Oh Yes, You'll soon see"
The network

Deus's network is just about ripe. Either to crash into oblivion or rise up as a major new matrix threat. Possibly a subject for "Loose Alliances". Especially if Deus succeeds and Matrixwatch needs to find some help. I also feel that Pax's dissonance may also factor into this.
Asia

I suspect that something is going to go down in Asia. ( "Shadows of Asia" sourcebook ) I've always felt that the number of great Eastern dragons seems too low. Perhaps this book will address that. And exactly what is up with the emperor of Japan?
Great Evil forming on the horizon?

The middle east is a powder keg about to explode. Particularly if Ibn Elsa (I don't think I got the name right) is what I think he is.
[ Spoiler ]
If my suspicions are correct then a "Loose Alliance" of likeminded groups may also suspect and engage in covert activity to try to head off the coming darkness.
Yakut

I can't help but feel that the reason we've heard so little about the Yakut is because they're saving it for something BIG. "Running Wild" Maybe?
Amazonia

"Running Wild" may also deal with Amazonia. Amazonia has a reputation for toxic avenger shamans. Could these wild men be associated with Sirrurg. Could the great, green dragon decide that now is the time for Amazonia to act and challenge Haulpa for leadership of the nation? Okay now I'm getting a little too "Lone Gunman" status here
The Anti-Lofwyr brigade

One more for the "Loose Alliances" sourcebook. The anti-Lofwyr movement may be gaining steam. Euro-corps, Japanese megacorps, wealthy individuals with axes to grind, Aden, Celedyr, environmental activists and whatever surprises Nachtmeister and Graft left behind. If Saeder Krupp gets struck from all directions at once can even the dragon keep up?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Azania

South Africa. Barely covered in the previous sourcebooks. But what's going on down there? Does the great dragon Mujaji have some plans? And what's up with the talking lions? Madgascar seems overtaken by wildlife yet is of particular interest to a certain immortal elf. Is it a dragon lair or is that simply a cover story for something far more interesting? And what about the elves of the Zulu nation? For some reason immortal elves that keep to themselves and remain quiet are far more worrisome than those who make bigger splashes like the two Tirs. A subject we might see in "Running Wild"
Kanada Ten
The New Revolution encompasses the Tsimshian Salish Conflict, the California Protectorate Crisis, Tir Tairngire's Strife, and the Aztlan Rebellion. It also deals with the rising star of Novatech, though it is over shadowed by Art Danthwalker in that case. But it also includes the politics of the CAS and the ongoing situation in Denver. And so on.

The New Islamic Jihad is certainly an interesting development. I'd like to see where it goes, but until then I'll put it more as part of something bigger... The Saeder Krupp thread. The NEEC (New European Economic Community), the enemies of Lofwyr uniting, and the rest mentioned by Book Lord all point to a story arc with SK at the center. That also ties into the territorial battle between Shadowrun's superpowers, and dragons.

In fact, if you want to sum up the new Metaplot with one word: Revolution might just fit.
Abstruse
Don't forget that Texas is getting itchy to attack Aztlan while the CAS drags its heels, maybe leading to them trying it alone again. Then there's the New America movement in Shadowrun (detailed in Threats 2 and which, according to SoNA, may have gotten hold in the CAS).

The Abstruse One
BIG BAD BEESTE
Actually, the next big Metaplot is to have Earth invaded by the legions of the Pan-Galactic Space Dragon Empire.

Step One, blow up Antartica!
Ancient History
Silly boy. Step One is below Antarctica.
BIG BAD BEESTE
Ah, you mean the renegade space dragon rebel leader frozen in the icepack for his past crimes and who lofwyr is trying to dig out so he can drink his Vitae and finally become one of those first-generation Cosmic Dragons Of Doom who ride across the heaven on comets. I mean he's finally got his claws on the key hidden on Halley to unlock the sacred vault hasn't he?
Thanos007
I think AH's comment was more Lovecraftian in nature.

Thanos
Ancient History
<chuckle> No, no. Target: Wastelands, actually.
Pistons
Keep it on topic, people.
Thanos007
<chuckle> No, no. Target: Wastelands, actually.

Have it but haven't read it yet. Still going through DotSW

Thanos
LaughingTiger
QUOTE (BIG BAD BEESTE)
Cosmic Dragons Of Doom

Duinowogowin?
Abstruse
Targer: Wastelands. Lofwyr is digging in Antartica to try to get...something. We don't know what yet.

The Abstruse One
BIG BAD BEESTE
QUOTE (Pistons)
Keep it on topic, people.

You mean Pan-Galactic Cosmic Dragons of Doom isn't the Metaplot!

Darn! I'm going to have to rewrite the entire draft again. Maybe if we go with some Dinosaur rampaging around downtown Tokyo for SoA....

Yeah, now that's got possibilities....

...especially if it has Dietry Requirement (Immortal Elves)
Phaeton
QUOTE (BIG BAD BEESTE)
...especially if it has Dietry Requirement (Immortal Elves)

... vegm.gif
Sepherim
I'd say the metaplot is slumbering right now. Fan Pro is more interested in detailing the game world (Shadows of North America, Europe, SOTA, SSG,....), and planting tons of new possible arcplots seeds.
Kagetenshi
Speaking of Dietary Requirement: Immortal Elves, more needs to be done with Sirrurg.

~J
mfb
i keep clicking on this thread expecting to see Tutor fat and married in suburbia, his fifteen minutes having long since expired. "yeah, that whole 'free the spirits' thing was a riot back when i was young... but, hey, i got a life now. house payments and stuff."
BIG BAD BEESTE
How about a VITAS IV epidemic?
Abstruse
*GM rolls dice* Ummm, yeah. Your character just contracted VITAS IV. Start making a new one. Oh, and everyone else, cross off 1/3 of your contacts.

Naw, VITAS IV wouldn't be much fun.

The Abstruse One
BIG BAD BEESTE
Haven't you seen Dawn of the Dead? Hmm, then again that was a painful movie. But I know some players out there would be up for a zombie slaughterfest!
Abstruse
I thought that's what Shedim are for...

The Abstruse One
booklord
I suspect the Shedim are part of a much more dangerous menace. In particular I'd watch out to see what those master shedim are up to.
Jon Szeto
Executing hostile takeovers of Worcestershire sauce factories around the world. dead.gif
Sepherim
rotfl.gif
Warmaster Lah
What about more religous themed threats. I cant be the only one to see the signs. Dead rising from the grave. Earthquakes...(in Japan). Ibn Elsa ( a certain adversary, trying to unit nations behind him). Ill omens in the sky.... Now if only the water would start to boil... we'd have ourselves some Revelations. I'd like some 4 horsemen action.

I really like the New Revolution. "I had discovered a plot to restore the United States of America!" I loved that line. Plus it would be good to get away from some mystical stuff for a while.

On that note what about the dust up down in Yucatan? Mother Earth seemed to be fed up. The Spirit War. So if stuff gets too bad in one region magical forces actually will react. And what about that visible Astral Plane in Hong Kong? Is it still up? And the Kid emperor, and his mysterious circumstances.

And I agree something is up with the Shedim. MS Bill Clinton for President again anyone? Hell I'd vote for him again. Id be 90 but...

BIG BAD BEESTE
QUOTE (Warmaster Lah)
On that note what about the dust up down in Yucatan? Mother Earth seemed to be fed up. The Spirit War. So if stuff gets too bad in one region magical forces actually will react. And what about that visible Astral Plane in Hong Kong? Is it still up? And the Kid emperor, and his mysterious circumstances.

Heh, if you like that than you're gonna love some of the stuff happening in SoE.

Oh, and Jon - there can only be Worcester Sauce factories in England. Anything else made anywhere but Worcester is fake. Just like Champagne not made in that region of France. nyahnyah.gif

Then again, substandard fake "Worcester" Sauce could conceivably be used in Voodoun rites. Imagine the look on a cyberpirates face when they discover the hijacked cargo is crate of the stuff bound for Haiti... eek.gif

Methinks I need another hit of Freelancer Crack now. smokin.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (BIG BAD BEESTE)
Oh, and Jon - there can only be Worcester Sauce factories in England. Anything else made anywhere but Worcester is fake. Just like Champagne not made in that region of France. nyahnyah.gif

*Ahem* There's a Worcester in Massachusetts, you know.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012