Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are all Elves imortal?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thanos007
Well...?
Traks
Of course not, especially those who turned into elves.
Besides even those immortal elves are just long living, I suspect and they can be easily gunned down. Of course first you must get through their 5000 Karma Pool points.
Cray74
QUOTE (Traks)
Of course not, especially those who turned into elves.

Who turned into elves? I thought all elves were born elves, except for elf poseurs.
Misfit Toy
No one turns into an elf. You're either born one or you're not. Well, unless you undergo gene therapy, but even then its superficial. If I see one more lame character concept with a goblinized elf or dwarf, I'm going to go psycho with my wiffleball bat.

Elves are simply very longed lived, with earlier editions estimating something like 300-500 years or so (I can't remember the exact number). Those who are immortal were part of some dragon hijinks in the Second and Forth Worlds or are the offspring of one (like Frosty) in the Sixth World.
Traks
Didn't people turn into elves, like into other species (orks and trolls and other teddy bears?) Of course I am not sure about my memory.
Misfit Toy
No. Golinization and UGE are two completely seperate phenomena. Even SURGE doesn't allow for it.
Cray74
QUOTE (Traks)
Didn't people turn into elves, like into other species (orks and trolls and other teddy bears?) Of course I am not sure about my memory.

Nope. Elves and dwarves are born that way, originally from human parents (in 2011: UGE, Unexplained Genetic Expression). They don't goblinize like orcs and trolls.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Traks)

I believe you're thinking of Spike Babies, which allowed elves to crop up before the Awakening.

~J
BitBasher
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Traks @ Jun 28 2004, 12:50 PM)

I believe you're thinking of Spike Babies, which allowed elves to crop up before the Awakening.

~J

But they were still born that way.
CoalHeart
Well since no elf has died of old age yet. They would most certainly seem like they live forever.
Grinder
QUOTE (CoalHeart)
Well since no elf has died of old age yet. They would most certainly seem like they live forever.

The first elves had been born 2011, so they're now (2064) just 50+. So let's wait another 30 years and wel'll see... biggrin.gif
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (CoalHeart)

Stinking dandelion eaters. Let's give 'em all lead poisoning!
nyahnyah.gif

*loads his pistol*
Siege
Feh, they ain't dead till you take the head.

Now, if the head looks up at you and asks why you did that, they're immortal.

And you are so, so screwed.

-Siege
Camouflage
Shadowtech had taht nice ST on the genetic specifics of elves. It said there, that elves have special genes which basically switch off aging at a age of 20 or something like that and that certain scientists claim that some mechanism exists which reactivates the aging process at sme later point. But as one of the shadowtalkers points out, that reactivation mechanism had not been found yet, so elves seem indeed to be "relatively immortal" (a term taken from a german SF-series which refers to being immune to aging).
Snow_Fox
IIRC The immortal elves, like Harlequin are the result of magical mating between elves and Dragons. The great dragons wanted servants who were as long lived as the Dragons themselves to handle their plans, instead of having to retrain new servants from scratch every few decades.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
IIRC The immortal elves, like Harlequin are the result of magical mating between elves and Dragons. The great dragons wanted servants who were as long lived as the Dragons themselves to handle their plans, instead of having to retrain new servants from scratch every few decades.

Heh. That's awesome...Even if it isn't canon by canon, I'll take that as canon in my games.
Ancient History
I'm not saying a damn thing. sleepy.gif
Thanos007
So to sum up... All elves born during spikes in the manna, during UGE, and since the Awakening will all age and die. They'll just take their time about it. On the other hand you have the truly immortal elves who live thousands of years at least.

Correct or not?

Thanos
Misfit Toy
The vast, vast majority, yes. There are exceptions such as Frosty (Harlequinn's apprentice and Ehran's daughter).
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Ancient History)

Oh give it a rest AnHi.
CircuitBoyBlue
My read-through of the Tir Tairngire sourcebook and all the wonderful shadowtalk in that gave me the impression that medical science points to about a 400-500 year lifespan for normal elves, though that research has already been tainted by political disinformation at least once. Also, some things were said about the section of the chromosome that turns off aging being affected by mana levels. That says to me that as the mana level of the Sixth world increases, there's the possibility of all elves being immortal, especially in magical hot spots.

And if I'm blatantly wrong, it's something Ancient History could have prevented smile.gif
Cain
QUOTE ("Camoflauge")

Shadowtech had taht nice ST on the genetic specifics of elves. It said there, that elves have special genes which basically switch off aging at a age of 20 or something like that and that certain scientists claim that some mechanism exists which reactivates the aging process at sme later point. But as one of the shadowtalkers points out, that reactivation mechanism had not been found yet, so elves seem indeed to be "relatively immortal" (a term taken from a german SF-series which refers to being immune to aging).

You mean Tir Tairngire, not Shadowtech. And that book mentioned that the average elf could expect a lifespan of several hundred years. Which may or may not be "relatively immortal" depending on your POV.

As for truly immortal elves, they are a rare breed. Frosty, Dodger, and Lady Brane Deigh are three "modern" IE's, although I'm not positive about Dodger. Most of the rest are the old old timers, such as Harlequin, Ehran, and Aina. There may be more modern immortal elves, but there's no way to tell right off the bat.
Prospero
Just out of curiosity, do people use "elven immortality" conspiracy paranoia in their games? I remember I hit it hard for a while, around the time Tir Tairngire came out, then my players tired of it after a while and it kind of dropped by the wayside. Still, though, no one really knows how long elves live (for sure). Does anybody still use elven paranoid conspiracy fever?
Misfit Toy
Nope. Didn't care for it then, don't care for it now.
CircuitBoyBlue
Coming from a gaming group set in 2051 that doesn't have any elves in it and just got its grubby little hands on the Tir Tairngire sourcebook, I think our characters are probably about to get into Elven conspiracy theories (our characters also don't get out much). Then again, I suppose our characters don't have access to the Tir Tairngire piece on shadowland yet by canon, so we'll have to all sit down and see if it's something we want to fudge the timeline on.
Cray74
QUOTE (Prospero)
Just out of curiosity, do people use "elven immortality" conspiracy paranoia in their games? I remember I hit it hard for a while, around the time Tir Tairngire came out, then my players tired of it after a while and it kind of dropped by the wayside. Still, though, no one really knows how long elves live (for sure). Does anybody still use elven paranoid conspiracy fever?

Yep. I have a conspiracy theory where the IEs are responsible for the Resource Rush (designed to irritate the Native Americans), SAIM and Lone Eagle Missile Crisis (designed to create a crackdown on Native Americans), the Great Ghost Dance and associated massive incompetence on the part of the US Government, all in an effort to break up the USA so the IEs could have their private nation in the Oregon area without the threat/challenge of a super power.

I might be taking too many cues from Vampire Elders for the IEs with that conspiracy, but I'm having fun with an alternate history where their plot failed badly (the surviving IE conspiracy flunkies form a "High Council in Exile" in cellblock "E" of the Oregon UltraMax Federal Penitentiary), there was no Seretech or Shiawase Decisions, and the world is dominated by a number of super powers (or first-rate powers), who are turn mostly dominated by megacorps. Discrete Shadowrunners are in high demand because the corporate executives are not safe from government prosecution.
Abstruse
AH won't say it, I will. He has a whole page dedicated to IEs in general. Immortal Elves are a specific breed of elf who pass on their gene to their children (though not always). The speculation is (not set in stone, but most likely true) that the IEs were formed either by a dragon mating with an elf or a dragon ritual to create long-living servents (prior to them using drakes). The elves rebelled against the one that did this the most (Alamais(e)), scarring him. The elves, however, either don't remember their history or just don't talk about it.

The elf lifespan has been esteemated at approx. 500-1000 years, but since there aren't any 500-1000 year old elves running around (at least none that will admit to it), it's hard to be sure. Same with dwarves, who are esteemated to live 150 years or so. They are not immune to disease, age, etc. like IEs are. Their physical aging just slows to a crawl at about the mid-20s or so. That's why Elhron, etc. look odd to people who pay attention as they're elves that appear as though they're in their 30s or 40s.

BTW, spike baby elves and IEs during the downcycle appeared as regular humans (from Worlds Without End (I think, the Aina novel in SR)). Food for thought.

Also, hardly any of this is my own deductions and credit goes to AH for doing it first. Go read his page and learn, my friends. I'm just trying to be a good student.

The Abstruse One
FXcalibur
The elf lifespan has been esteemated at approx. 500-100 years

I am guessing this will eventually cause a LOTR-ish type of social trouble with Elven-other metahuman relationships. And, er, you meant 500-1000 years, right?
Abstruse
Yeah, typo fixed.

The Abstruse One
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Cain @ Jun 28 2004, 10:32 PM)

As for truly immortal elves, they are a rare breed.  Frosty, Dodger, and Lady Brane Deigh are three "modern" IE's, although I'm not positive about Dodger.

Dodger was a spike baby born before the awakening, but as far as we know, not an IE. He has a phenominal power in the matrix due to a close relationship he shared with the first AI.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Ancient History)

Pouting does not suit you
Abstruse
Give the poor guy a break. I mean the dude's had to answer this same question about 15,000 times (including once when I asked it back on the old boards). Just because he's our omniscient Shadowrun and Earthdawn metaplot master doesn't mean he doesn't still get annoyed.

The Abstruse One
Ancient History
Tired, actually. I never did understand how the whole Spike Baby = IE rumor came up, and have tried to squish it good. Then it comes back like cancer.

Lifespans for elves are typically 400-500 years without life-extending magic being used, disease, violence, etc. There are records of elves reaching 800, but these are fairly rare. Blood elves had somewhat extended lifespans, perhaps another century or two.

The Downcycle and Ears: This is a weird subject. Only the novels address it at all. Caroline Spector thinks that IEs take on a more human appearence, including rounded ears. Lisa Smedman thinks Spike Babies have pointed ears, which some chose to bob with surgery. Carl Sargent/Marc Gasciogne claim Leonardo da Vinci was an elf and had pointed ears; Steven Kenson implies Leo the IE was NOT da Vinci.

Safest bet? At least Spike Babies have pointed ears. Why? Because the Xavier Foundation had to have some way of recognizing and collecting 'em.

Kagetenshi
The foundation uses Cerebro, of course.

~J
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Jun 30 2004, 02:30 AM)
Give the poor guy a break.  I mean the dude's had to answer this same question about 15,000 times (including once when I asked it back on the old boards).  Just because he's our omniscient Shadowrun and Earthdawn metaplot master doesn't mean he doesn't still get annoyed.

The Abstruse One

Then he could have stayed out of it unless someone gave wrong info.
Ancient History
Actually they did. More than once. Yeah, I'm just being an ass.
Abstruse
Spike Babies != IEs. However, Dodger's conversation with Kham in Never Trust an Elf implies in a few spots that he MIGHT be an IE. Can't think of any specific quotes right now, but he's trying to not let the entire cat out of the bag with Kham's questions.

The Abstruse One
MooCow
IIRC The immortal elves, like Harlequin are the result of magical mating between elves and Dragons

I'd like to note, that while I fully realize Dragons are capable of shapeshifting into humanoid forms, this sentence still gives me really disturbing mental images.

*MooCow heads off to bleach his brain*
Abstruse
One word that'll give you a bit to think about if that's true..."Damon"

The Abstruse One
Panzergeist
That would sort of make the term immortal elves redundant wouldnt it?
CircuitBoyBlue
No more redundant than people talking about "cute little kittens"
CoalHeart
I rather enjoy vicious cute little kittens of doom. You know the ones that suck the soul out of children as they sleep.
kevyn668
Actually, its the kittens that protect the sleeping children from just that fate. wink.gif
Garland
Says the kitten propaganda machine!
mfb
i'd rather damon knight remain human. him being an IE would be pat, played out, and wholly unimaginative. woo, another powerful semi-public figure with a mysterious past who turns out to be an IE.

if the 'damon' comment above was referring to something else, ignore this comment.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Actually they did. More than once. Yeah, I'm just being an ass.

nyahnyah.gif
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (mfb)
if the 'damon' comment above was referring to something else, ignore this comment.

There's a lovable little dragon who goes by the name of Damon on occasion. He enjoys sexual relations with metahumans. You can find more about him, though not much more, here. Got'ta love 'em.

i'd rather damon knight remain human. him being an IE would be pat, played out, and wholly unimaginative. woo, another powerful semi-public figure with a mysterious past who turns out to be an IE.

Have to agree. I like Immortal Elves and Dragons, but some people should stay human. I'd find it rather funny if one of Tir's council pulled off his mask to revel one of Outcast's Immortal Humans. [EDIT] I think that's Damien Knight, anyway.
RedmondLarry
Hmmm. I guess I misread the title of this thread.

I thought it was "Are all Elves immoral?" wink.gif
kevyn668
QUOTE (OurTeam)
Hmmm. I guess I misread the title of this thread.

I thought it was "Are all Elves immoral?" wink.gif

Yes. They are. smile.gif
Ancient History
If the Denairastas were immortal, Uhl would look a whole hell of a lot better than he does for his age. <tsks>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012