Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SLII and the Rangefinder
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
kevyn668
Can someone clear this up for me?

If you have the Smartlink2 what do you need to get the range modifier.

ie. Do you need just the Rangefinder Cyberware OR do you need just the Rangefinder Firearm Accessory OR do you need both?

Thanks.
FXcalibur
Either one will work. Eye magnification and scope magnification, that kind of thing, y'know?
Modesitt
My interpretation was at first 'Just the rangefinder cyberware'. Then at some point in the past, I decided that you need would both the cyberware AND the accessory.

If you look at the chart on the Weapon Record Sheet, you'll see that they only list the range finder as With Smartlink-2. So whatever interpretation you come up with, you do need a smartlink-2 to use it. However, you'll note that they just say 'smartlink-2'. It would be totally valid to say 'You need either the accessory OR the cyberware rangefinder to get the bonuses'.

I can't think of any real reason to pick one over the other, really.
TinkerGnome
Read the errata. You need the weapon accessory and the cyberware to get it to work. The cyberware appears to be something along the lines of a coprocessor for the SL rig that interprets the range data.

To be specific:

QUOTE (M&M errata)
p. 32 Rangefinder Game Effects [4]
Note that the weapon still requires a rangefinder accessory (p. 33, Cannon Companion).

kevyn668
Thanks everybody.

Its kinda funny the progression of the thread is the same as what went on in my head...

One more thing (that I should have put in the original post): Do you need a display/image link. I think you did back in SR2 but can't remember if you need it now.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (kevyn668)
One more thing (that I should have put in the original post): Do you need a display/image link. I think you did back in SR2 but can't remember if you need it now.

Sort of. The basic SL system comes with a limited eye display which gets the job done. You can also use another system (such as an image link or full eye display) to fill that need. Check out M&M for a full list of substitutions you can make.
kevyn668
Thanks again. I figured the sub system eye display would do the trick.
FXcalibur
Bleagh. Foiled by errata. frown.gif
Cochise
One bit of Errata that I happily ignore, since the weapon accessory range finder itself nowhere demands that you also have a SL-2 plus SL - range finder accessory for ...
TinkerGnome
It's not like it's a big price to pay for the benefits...
Arethusa
No. But it's a stupid concept all around, and completely senseless that it somehow needs to be a separate attached component from the standard SL-2 system.
TinkerGnome
If you go around changing everything that doesn't make sense with cyberware, you might as well rewrite the whole section.

This is one of those cases where it does make a kind of sense. Your smartlink does basic targeting and little else. You add in a rangefinder on the gun and that feeds into the smartlink system and... doesn't do much of anything since the basic system isn't designed to do anything with it. You add on a little coprocessor and it makes the minor adjustments related to long ranges.

The wierdness is more to do with bullet ranges than anything else. The above makes a lot more sense for, say, rifles, than it does for pistols.
FXcalibur
Actually, what good does a rangefinder do in real life? Do people with a sniper rifle adjust their shot upwards going by distance or something?
toturi
QUOTE (FXcalibur)
Actually, what good does a rangefinder do in real life? Do people with a sniper rifle adjust their shot upwards going by distance or something?

Yes, actually.
kevyn668
I think its kind of goofy. But just kind of.

The Smartlink system has to have some form of rangefinder bundled into it for it to work. So, I think of the the additional Rangefinder Cyber as the processor for the rangefinder weapon accessory which provides rawl data.

TinkerGnome
Scopes can also be adjusted to take into account windage. Which isn't something the smartlink does, really.
Cochise
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
It's not like it's a big price to pay for the benefits...

Problem there: If you really need both, that'll works both ways => In order to use a weapon mounted range finder you now must have a Smartlink with that acessory (The question whether it has to be a SL-II or a SL-I is a different debate) which contradicts the rules on the weapon accesory.
So try to tell me again as to why the SL accessory requires some external device that already provides the same benefit on its own?

If you go around changing everything that doesn't make sense with cyberware, you might as well rewrite the whole section.

Nope ... I'll simply stick to what it says in my copy of M&M and simply ignore that particular Errata

This is one of those cases where it does make a kind of sense.

No it doesn't, since the weapon accessory rulewise works perfectly without further devices.

Your smartlink does basic targeting and little else. You add in a rangefinder on the gun and that feeds into the smartlink system and... doesn't do much of anything since the basic system isn't designed to do anything with it.

The question remains the same: Why does the external mounted range finder work without further instruments (I can't seem to find any restrictions on its use without SL) and why would an internal accessory then demand the very same external system to provide the same benefits that come from the external device on its own?

You add on a little coprocessor and it makes the minor adjustments related to long ranges.

Somehow I was under the impression that the weapon accessory is the very same coprocessor ...
Misfit Toy
Right. Until I saw the errata I assumed it was just like Vision Magnification vs. Magnification Scopes. One usable by anyone with the implant, the other usuable by anyone. One lowers Essence, the other lowers Concealability. (EDIT: Hmm, I guess it doesn't lower Concealability afterall. Oh well, so much for assumptions. Seems odd, nonethless, that they didn't include the Rangefinder weapon accessory in M&M if it truly was a requirement to use it -- they included Smartgun-2 modifications for weapons, but not Rangefinders.)

I have no idea why they changed it in the errata like that. But then again, I've always felt a little weird about the errata/FAQs. Half the time they seem like snap decisions instead of someone double-checking all of the related rules to make sure it makes sense with the rest of them.
TinkerGnome
In order to use a weapon mounted range finder you now must have a Smartlink with that acessory (The question whether it has to be a SL-II or a SL-I is a different debate) which contradicts the rules on the weapon accesory.

There is no debate, it has to be smartlink-2 from the item description. I have no problem with it only working with the rangefinder addon since it only works with smartlink-2 in the first place.

QUOTE (Tinkergnome)
You add on a little coprocessor and it makes the minor adjustments related to long ranges.

Somehow I was under the impression that the weapon accessory is the very same coprocessor ...

The weapon accessory only collects the data and feeds it to the smartlink system. Reread the entry in CC. Any processing that goes on would have to be done by the Smartlink system. Which is why I use the coprocessor explanation in my games.

For the rest... play it the way you want to play it. The M&M errata postdates the most recent CC errata, so I'd hope that the next printing of CC brings the accessory into line with the M&M errata.
Raygun
QUOTE (Arethusa)
No.  But it's a stupid concept all around, and completely senseless that it somehow needs to be a separate attached component from the standard SL-2 system.

Actually, it's not that dumb.

The vast majority of combat happens within a range of 300 meters, often even closer than that. With most combat rifles, there's not much need for any kind of rangefinding to hit targets at that distance. Rifles will shoot flat enough that it's not really necessary to adjust for elevation when using iron or reflex sights, especially in order to hit a human-sized target. Handguns will obviously have a harder time with that, but most combat handguns aren't designed to be used outside of 50 meters anyway.

With that in mind, it really doesn't make a lot of sense for a manufacturer of such a system to integrate a piece of equipment that most users aren't going to use, but it would be nice to have it as an option so that primarily long-range shooters have the ability to integrate range data and adjust for it immediately. For example, sniping. Explains why you only get the bonuses at long and extreme range anyway.

QUOTE (Kevyn668)
The Smartlink system has to have some form of rangefinder bundled into it for it to work.

No it doesn't. Just like the system in the game, a rangefinder is nice to have, but it's not necessary for the system to work effectively. It's really nice to have an aiming reticle in your field of vision whenever you have a gun in your hand. If you've ever seen what's called a "reflex sight", it would probably be a lot like that, only within your entire field of vision.

My own rules for smartlinks can be found here.
kevyn668
I hear what your saying but at some point range has to factor in, right?. How else would the processor know if the target is 10 meters away or 100 meters?

For 12% (or so) of my Essence that chip should be able to tell the difference between a poster of a man on cliff 65 meters away and thug w/ a Pred that is right in my face.

[edit: the poster is of a man that is on cliff and the shot is taken from 65 meters away.smile.gif]
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (kevyn668)
I hear what your saying but at some point range has to factor in, right?. How else would the processor know if the target is 10 meters away or 100 meters?

For 12% (or so) of my Essence that chip should be able to tell the difference between a poster of a man on cliff 65 meters away and thug w/ a Pred that is right in my face.

[edit: the poster is of a man that is on cliff and the shot is taken from 65 meters away.smile.gif]

I've always thought of the projection being pretty much just like a laser sight, projecting a place where the bullet would hit if there were no gravity (basically). If you want fancy stuff like drop calculation, you need to get the rangefinder.
kevyn668
So then why does a smartlink work as well with a pistol at 5 meters as it does with an assault cannon at 2400 meters?

I don't even know how you could see that far but by canon your smartlink would still give your a TN mod.
mfb
uh, if it projected where the bullet would go without gravity, you'd end up always firing too low (since you'd still have bullet rise).

and, i hate to do it, but i have to disagree with raygun on the flat-trajectory issue. bullet rise and drop within 300m is enough to make you miss, if you don't account for it when you're lining up your shot. granted, as you become used to shooting, accounting for it becomes as reflexive as not jerking the trigger, or timing your breathing. but it's still a factor.
BitBasher
Bullet rise? what? If a gun is sighted on for close range the bullet does not rise at all, it comes straight out the barrel and drops at a speed affected by gravety. The distance the bullet travels per inch of drop is only determined by the speed of the bullet. The only reason a bullet would rise out of the barrel is if the gun was actually sighted to shoot high, either accidentally or on purpose.
Raygun
QUOTE (kevyn668)

The processor doesn't know because the user, having chosen not to use a rangefinder, has accepted the fact that it's unlikely to matter anyway. Because the bullet has basically a flat trajectory to target out to a certain range means that the smartlink doesn't have to know how far away the target is. It just puts the reticle out there. Point and click. The hardware attached to the gun is basically sighted in like a scope; point of impact at a certain range. The upshot of the smartlink at this point is that you have a targeting reticle in your entire FOV which allows for very fast target acquisition. If you read the link I posted, you'll get a better explanation of it.

If you really want to take advantage of what the SL2 has to offer, you use the rangefinder. If not, the system is only a very slight improvement over SL1 and your long range shooting just won't be as accurate as it could be.

You certainly can do it that way if you want. I'm just trying to help explain, in a practical manner, why the book says what it does.

So then why does a smartlink work as well with a pistol at 5 meters as it does with an assault cannon at 2400 meters?

Because it's a game.

QUOTE (mfb)
and, i hate to do it, but i have to disagree with raygun on the flat-trajectory issue. bullet rise and drop within 300m is enough to make you miss, if you don't account for it when you're lining up your shot.

Obviously, I wasn't trying to say that every firearm/cartridge combination will shoot flat out to 300 meters. It depends on the weapon. Assault rifles, which are generally designed to be used at that range, tend to do such a thing. With an M16A2 and M855 ammo, drop at 300 meters is all of 11.6 inches (at 200 meters it's 3 inches). Certainly enough to make you miss, but if you're aiming at center mass you're still pretty likely to hit something, even when your sights are zeroed at 100 meters. That's all I'm saying. With other rifles and/or better ballistics, closer range, that margin can become a lot smaller. Conversely, when it comes to most handguns, 300 meter targets are pretty much out of the question.
Misfit Toy
QUOTE (Raygun)
Because it's a game.

Fascinating.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (BitBasher)
The only reason a bullet would rise out of the barrel is if the gun was actually sighted to shoot high, either accidentally or on purpose.
...such as when the gun is sighted at 100 meters, or to any distance where there already is drop.
Just because Raygun didn't say it.
mfb
bitbasher, bullets rise during the first half (or so) of their flight, and fall during the secon half. raygun can explain why better than i could, but it does happen. when firing at 25m targets during basic training, i had to learn to aim a few inches below my target in order to hit it.

raygun, my take on it has always been that the smartlink system uses the simsense link to figure out how far out your eyes are focused, and plops that guestimate into the firing equation. a rangefinder, on the other hand, uses lasers or whatnot to actually measure the distance, and is therefore more accurate at ranges where your eyes just aren't good enough to provide good data.
kevyn668

Because it's a game.

Aren't you the one that says on your website,
Me:"Its never just a game!"
or something to that extent? smile.gif

I don't have a problem w/ that as I make the same argument fairly frequently, but....

All I'm saying is that with my limited knowledge it seems that a SmartLink™ system would need basic rangefinder technology to function in a three dimensional world.

mfb
raygun's stance is, and always has been, that there are a few easy fixes that can be made to SR's combat to make it more realistic, but that making it truly realistic would require a massive rewrite. his statement abover reflects the point at which--to him--it's not worth the effort of rewriting the rules to reflect reality.
kevyn668
Gotcha. That works for me.
Austere Emancipator
Here you can see the complete criss-cross of line-of-sight vs bullet trajectory.

As for why Smartlink helps even at extreme ranges: It still shows you where your gun is pointing. Instead of having to use iron sights on a weapon, you can aim the Smartlink pip (if that's how you see the Smartlink working in your game) the necessary amount above the target. It's not that much of a help, because at 2,400 meters with an Assault Cannon you're looking at a base TN of 9 - 2 = 7, a "Difficult" shot, compared to the 4 you'd have with a high-rating scope.

The problem here has very little if anything to do with the bonuses conferred by the Smartlink system, much more to do with the relative ease with which characters can hit at extreme ranges in SR. Hitting anything at 2.4km, even with the biggest RL weapons, is extremely difficult. You need good conditions, an immobile target (or something very, very easy to take a lead on), solid rest and a lot of aiming to stand a chance of hitting something at those ranges. In SR, all you need is a Rating 3 scope and a skill of 3 for a 98.4% chance of hitting a walking human at 2.4km with an Assault Cannon, without Taking Aim or having any support.

On the other hand, a Smartlink should probably make hitting with pistols at longer ranges easier than they do currently. I'd expect a .440 Cor-Bon Magnum Desert Eagle with a 10" barrel and a Smartlink would be rather easy to hit a human with at 100 meters -- far easier than hitting a human with a Smartlinked sniper rifle at 1km, anyway. For perfect realism, you'd need several different modifiers for range and conditions which would be connected only partly -- and that's way beyond what most sane people want out of their RPGs.
BitBasher
bitbasher, bullets rise during the first half (or so) of their flight, and fall during the secon half. raygun can explain why better than i could, but it does happen. when firing at 25m targets during basic training, i had to learn to aim a few inches below my target in order to hit it.
Yes, but that's not something all firearms do across the board, it's not an attribute of all weapons. It happens specifically in the case if a weapon's sight is zeroed at a distance at which the drop is noticable and needs to be accounted for. None of the pistols I have fired do that, and the way my dad sighted rifles that was the exception not the rule, you accounted for drop on your own. but my dad loaded very hot rounds that were at high velocity and would travel farther than standard before the drop was appreciable. The only time a rifle was sighted that way during my childhood was when we were deer hunting or could reasonably expect a target to be at longer distances. I'm just saying you cannot make that as a blanket statement.
mfb
regardless, most weapons are sighted so that the bullet rises as it leaves the barrel--if you subscribe to the idea that smartlinks are not able to take range into account at all, one would assume that they're calibrated the same way by default. the statement still applies pretty much across the board, because that's how most people set their sights (and therefore their smartlinks) for combat.

or, you can use my model, which eliminates all this silliness.
Raygun
QUOTE (mfb)

Right. That's because your sights were set at 100 meters (I'm assuming you were using an M16A2; 100 meters is the close range setting on A2 sights). If your sights are set at 100 meters and you're shooting at something that's 300 meters away, there is a trivial amount of rise in trajectory (0.5" at 50m with M855). I think that's what BitBasher was trying to say.

QUOTE (mfb)
raygun, my take on it has always been that the smartlink system uses the simsense link to figure out how far out your eyes are focused, and plops that guestimate into the firing equation.

In my own estimation, that kind of thing would require cybereyes, which not all smartlink users would have. The cyber rangefinder would be a more accurate representation of that, I think. A rangefinding reticle would be more like what I have in mind. Link below. Keep in mind that it wouldn't have to be that complex.

Besides that, one thing we haven't considered yet is that they reticle itself is going to cover a portion of the target when you're aiming at it. In order to be large enough to pick up quickly and use as an aiming device, the reticle will have to cover an area equal to at least 4 MOA, which translates to 4" at 100 yards, 8" at 200, 12" at 300, etc... Right around our margin of error with an M16A2 and most other modern assault rifles, for example. Of course, for longer range targets, a smaller reticle can be used to minimize the effects of obscuring the target.

QUOTE (kevyn668)
QUOTE (Raygun)
Because it's a game.

Aren't you the one that says on your website,
Me:"Its never just a game!"
or something to that extent? smile.gif

I am. And that's why I made these rules. The reason canon rules allow the -2 modifier at all ranges is for simplicity, not realism. You can change that if you want.

Alll I'm saying is that with my limited knowledge it seems that a SmartLink™ system would need basic rangefinder technology to function in a three dimensional world.

And with a better understanding of ballistics, you'll find out that that isn't necessarily the case. Other than that, we've been doing pretty good without rangefinders so far. Having a device that actively measures the distance between you and the target is not the only way to find range. For example... This kind of thing is what I meant by "rangefinding reticle" in my explanation of gen 1 Smartlink technology.
BitBasher
It's also possible that a smartlink does not inherintly account for bullet drop but makes you do it yourself without the rangefinder by having hatch marks under the main crosshair at the amount the bullet will drop every set distance, like a good quality scope does. If you have the rangefinder, it eliminates this and just puts a single crosshair out there. Makes sense in context.
Tziluthi
On the topic of rangefinders in shadowrun, in cannon companion it indicates that rangefinders are compatible with external SLII systems, without any additional hardware or the like. IMO that seems to indicate that the errata is the odd man out, considering that nowhere outside of it, to my knowledge, is any refence made to the cyberware r/f and accessory r/f having to be paired.
Modesitt
Your point's there, but it may not be there. Zen man, zen.

It took me a while to grasp your point, so let me lay it out so no one else misses it.

1. The errata says you MUST have the rangefinder upgrade AND the gun accessory in order to get the benefits.
2. The CC listing says you can use with a "...a smartlink system, either cybernetic or external."
3. There is a listing for Smartlink-2 goggles in MM. They cost the same as the cybernetic Smartlink-2.

My solution is simple - There should be another listing in the M&M for smartgoggles that cost 2,000 more nuyen. Those goggles give the benefits of a Rangefinder so long as you also have it on your gun.

The alternative solution is to just say they include the rangefinder by default, but I don't like that as much.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Raygun)
QUOTE (mfb)
raygun, my take on it has always been that the smartlink system uses the simsense link to figure out how far out your eyes are focused, and plops that guestimate into the firing equation.

In my own estimation, that kind of thing would require cybereyes, which not all smartlink users would have. The cyber rangefinder would be a more accurate representation of that, I think. A rangefinding reticle would be more like what I have in mind. Link below. Keep in mind that it wouldn't have to be that complex.

Not necessarily. What exactly do you suppose the limited simrig component of the SL is supposed to do, other than record visual data and feed it to the SL processor? Surely no other sense or element of body positioning is as important for something like a Smartlink, is it?

Personally I think that mfb's idea makes more sense than any of the others I've seen in this thread. By default the SL (or SL-2) gathers data from eye position and focus via the limited simrig and uses them to "guess" the distance to the target. It finds out gun direction partly from the limited simrig and partly from whatever data the SL-modification inside the gun calculates. It takes all of this, combines it with ballistics information--also from the SL-modded gun--and comes up with a best guess as to where the bullet will be at that guesstimated range.

I'd say that best suits the way the rules work. You get a -2 at all ranges, because the SL (SL-2) tries to take range into account. It doesn't do as good a job as an active-sensing rangefinder at longer ranges, though, so the active sensor gives you additional bonuses at long and extreme range.

And, as long as I'm building castles out of air here, maybe the SL-2 has some sort of rudimentary image-processing going on that attempts to identify vulnerable spots on the current target. That would explain why--without any additional data input cyberware--you get that +2 Called Shot modifier: the processor is telling you where to aim for maximum effectiveness.
Austere Emancipator
Personally, I'd rather turn off such a Guess Range option. If the shooter happens to know the range better than the Smartlink processor, he's screwed because he doesn't know how much the Smartlink is already compensating for drop. Even if the system displays something like "300 meters", it's a whole lot harder to compensate for the drop between 300 and 400 meters than it is to just compensate for the whole drop from 0 to 400 meters.

However, I would not at all mind the Smartlink showing the guesttimated range to target in the field of view, even if it doesn't adjust the targeting pip accordingly. And I suppose adjusting the pip based on the guesstimate would be OK for someone who hasn't got a clue what sort of gun he's firing.
mfb
well, that's the nice thing about the system. it determines the range according to how far out you think the target is--if you think the target's 300m away, it tells you how high you should aim to make a 300m shot.
Austere Emancipator
How far away you think the target is is definitely not the same thing as how far away your eyes focus. I'm not that good at human physiology, but I'd expect there to be a very large "error range" between what your brains figure out the range to be and the angulated range your eyes focus to.

If you consider the Smartlink system to read your thoughts on the range to the target, that's another thing entirely. I don't, though.
mfb
i would be surprised if the error range were high enough to make a hit-or-miss difference; as Raygun pointed out, bullet drop at 300 yards with an M16A2 is 'only' a bit less than a foot; if your eyes (and therefore your Smartlink) are only focusing at 250 yards, you're still likely to hit--at least, i don't change my point of aim between 250y targets and 300y, and i'm a pretty good shot. at closer ranges, it's almost certainly going to make no difference at all; at longer ranges, more exact data--like that provided by the rangefinder setup--will help negate that error.
Austere Emancipator
It would be nice to know what sort of error there really is. I was thinking 20-25%, which would easily be a difference of +/- 20 inches at 400-600 meters with a 7.62x51mm rifle. At short ranges and when the trajectory is very flat, sure such a feature would be useful -- assuming the error isn't greater than that 25% and it can reliably be measured on the fly.

It would require some good prediction-work, though, because in a combat situation you are likely to keep focusing your eyes on a whole lot of things. Although, I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult for the simlink and the processor to figure out what you're trying to focus on.

Still, it is a very interesting piece of fluff which makes at least as much sense as anything else about the Smartlink system. It is simple to adopt into any game, too, because it doesn't require one to change the Smartlink rules in any way, regardless of how well if at all the range-prediction works.
Raygun
QUOTE (BitBasher)
It's also possible that a smartlink does not inherintly account for bullet drop but makes you do it yourself without the rangefinder by having hatch marks under the main crosshair at the amount the bullet will drop every set distance, like a good quality scope does. If you have the rangefinder, it eliminates this and just puts a single crosshair out there. Makes sense in context.

Exactly. That would be a rangefinding reticle.

QUOTE (mfb)
Not necessarily. What exactly do you suppose the limited simrig component of the SL is supposed to do, other than record visual data and feed it to the SL processor? Surely no other sense or element of body positioning is as important for something like a Smartlink, is it?

I think this is the fourth or fifth time I've asked someone to read the link I've posted quite a ways back as to my idea of the how the Smartlink system works. If you read it, it will explain just about everything. Here's the link again.

Personally I think that mfb's idea makes more sense than any of the others I've seen in this thread. By default the SL (or SL-2) gathers data from eye position and focus via the limited simrig and uses them to "guess" the distance to the target.

I got that. And I think that because a simrig can record and playback sensory data doesn't mean that it knows or even needs to know how far away things are from it. It would have no way to gather any data about how the eye is focused unless the eyes were cyberware as well. It knows the position of the eyes relative to the gun, and the direction in which they are pointed. It has absolutely no idea of range. The user has to calculate that manually, unless some form of rangefinding is present. Just the way I see it. A simrig does not an cannot calculate range.

And, as long as I'm building castles out of air here, maybe the SL-2 has some sort of rudimentary image-processing going on that attempts to identify vulnerable spots on the current target. That would explain why--without any additional data input cyberware--you get that +2 Called Shot modifier: the processor is telling you where to aim for maximum effectiveness.

My own explanation for this is that you only get that bonus with SL2 when a simrig and rangefinder are both present, offering you the best targeting data possible.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Raygun)
Personally I think that mfb's idea makes more sense than any of the others I've seen in this thread. By default the SL (or SL-2) gathers data from eye position and focus via the limited simrig and uses them to "guess" the distance to the target.

I got that. And I think that because a simrig can record and playback sensory data doesn't mean that it knows or even needs to know how far away things are from it. It would have no way to gather any data about how the eye is focused unless the eyes were cyberware as well. It knows the position of the eyes relative to the gun, and the direction in which they are pointed. It has absolutely no idea of range. The user has to calculate that manually, unless some form of rangefinding is present. Just the way I see it. A simrig does not an cannot calculate range.

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree there. I happen to think that if the smartlink can use kinematics on sensory data collected from the human body to figure out where the gun is pointed relative to one eye, it should be child's play to figure out where one eye is pointed relative to the other. That's really all the data you need to make an educated guess as to where the eye is focusing.

My own explanation for this is that you only get that bonus with SL2 when a simrig and rangefinder are both present, offering you the best targeting data possible.

Well, keep in mind that the +2 Called Shot modifier is a different bonus than the -2 to all ranged weapon tests, which indicates that there's probably something else going on here. I like the idea of some sort of primitive image-recognition processing going on which highlights potential vulnerable spots (maybe enhancing them in your FOV or something) mostly because 1)It means that this extra bonus isn't just coming from nowhere, and 2)the precursors to that kind of tech are already in existence.

And thanks for pointing out that link one more time; somehow I actually *did* miss it each time you put it up. smile.gif I like the idea of seperating the rangefinding and weather prediction equipment; if I were looking for more advanced rules for my game those would definately be in there.
BitBasher
Well, I guess we can agree to disagree there. I happen to think that if the smartlink can use kinematics on sensory data collected from the human body to figure out where the gun is pointed relative to one eye, it should be child's play to figure out where one eye is pointed relative to the other. That's really all the data you need to make an educated guess as to where the eye is focusing.
The problem is that data such as that is not processed in simsense. Simsense processes emotional and tactile data. Simsense stars still require eye cams and ear recorders to get any input what so ever from the auditory or visual senses. Simsense recieves absolutely zero data about where the eye is pointed, nor focused, not anything about the eyes at all, excpt maybe if you get poked in one and it hurts. This would have to be changed for it to work that way.

I like the idea of some sort of primitive image-recognition processing going on which highlights potential vulnerable spots (maybe enhancing them in your FOV or something) mostly because 1)It means that this extra bonus isn't just coming from nowhere, and 2)the precursors to that kind of tech are already in existence.
In order for that to work the SL system would have to not only have visual recognition technologies to identify your target but it'd have to have databases on a huge number of potential targets from aircraft to critters to vehicles to metas to... ect ect in order to know where any weak spots are. I think that's pretty well beyone the scope of the device IMHO. It would have to have someplace to draw that information, be it skillsoft or expert system, both of which are far, far beyond the cost of a SL system.
Raygun
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)

Only knowing the direction in which one eye is pointed in relation to the other would provide nearly useless data as far as range is concerned, as your eyes can move and focus independently. Most human beings can consciously control the focus of their eyes. Try it while looking at your monitor. Or just cross your eyes. Eyes moving, no focus.

The smartlink would have to be aware of the amount of muscular tension on the lens of each eye (ciliary body) as well as the position of the eyes in relation to each other in order to approximate the distance at which the eyes were focusing. It would also have to be aware of the amount of parallax created by the lens at that range in order to accurately adjust for targets in motion. On top of that, the accuracy of focusing is dependent upon experience to some degree. If you have prior knowledge of an object's size, your ability to guess its distance and focus onto it is greatly improved. If you have no idea how big an object might be, your ability to focus on it is compromised.

All this is assuming that the user has good natural vision. Even if the user does have good vision, the human visual system is not particularly good at judging long distances. That's part of the reason why vision testing is done at 20 feet/6 meters. It would be nowhere near as easy to accurately collate range data through natural vision as you've assumed.

Conversely, if you can lase an object, you'll know exactly how far away it is almost instantly, assuming the laser is tuned accurately.

Well, keep in mind that the +2 Called Shot modifier is a different bonus than the -2 to all ranged weapon tests, which indicates that there's probably something else going on here.

Like what? It seems to me that all it means is that you have the ability to engage targets faster and more accurately.

I like the idea of some sort of primitive image-recognition processing going on which highlights potential vulnerable spots (maybe enhancing them in your FOV or something) mostly because 1)It means that this extra bonus isn't just coming from nowhere, and 2)the precursors to that kind of tech are already in existence.

It's a decent idea, but I think it steps outside of the definition of what a smartlink system does on its own. To me, that would begin to fall under the heading of "tactical computer".

And thanks for pointing out that link one more time; somehow I actually *did* miss it each time you put it up. smile.gif I like the idea of seperating the rangefinding and weather prediction equipment; if I were looking for more advanced rules for my game those would definately be in there.

Sure. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012