Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fashion Spell
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Moonstone Spider
I've been working lately on the concept of a mage who's main spell is Fashion, who uses a custom ranged Fashion spell for everything. I'm thinking on what limits this spell would really have, please tell me if you'd allow:

A fashion spell to convert arm-bracers into boots, giving +1 Impact to the legs and allowing another set of bracers on the arms.

A Fashion spell to make a suit of armor work like form-fitting Armor, reducing the Armor penalties by custom-fitting it to the user's body, or alternately to make other armors work together without a penalty like the various clothing-armors do. For instance turn a long coat into a pair of armored pants, thus allowing you to add another long coat without it being layering.

A Fashion spell to make an opponent's clothing cover his head with a hood that has no hole in it.

A Fashion spell to Turn normal clothing into Tres Chic clothing, letting the mage on a-budget-with-no-enchanting make some nuyen during his downtime.

A Fashion spell add camo patterns to clothing, getting the camo bonuses and simply morphing the pattern as needed for the situation.
RedmondLarry
Our team plays that Fashion can reshape, restyle, and recolor clothing and armor into forms that could have been made in a factory or custom fitted in the first place. Therefore I don't let the spell produce anything that couldn't already be made, and therefore be on the market if it were beneficial.

QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
A fashion spell to convert arm-bracers into boots, giving +1 Impact to the legs and allowing another set of bracers on the arms.
Since the book doesn't have armored boots (At least I haven't found any), I'd take it to mean that all attempts to make usable armored boots have resulted in things that don't make enough of a difference in keeping someone alive to call it "armor".

Another way to think of it, if your GM allows armored boots in his game, this works fine. It gives the magician something that anyone else can buy from a store -- armored boots. If the GM doesn't allow armored boots, it's because he feels that placing armor on/around the feet doesn't increase the character's chance of surviving an attack. The bracer's I'm familiar with are forearm guards (CC.51), which only work against melee and only because they're in a position to help the character parry or deflect blows that come around the torso. If your GM allows characters to parry such blows with their feet, he's likely to allow "bracer boots".

QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
A Fashion spell to make a suit of armor work like form-fitting Armor, reducing the Armor penalties by custom-fitting it to the user's body.
Fashion doesn't make the material of the suit flexible. I'd rule that using a fashion spell to shape a suit of armor like this would result in something like a full-body cast. Such a result would give the same armor protection (as described by the spell), but the GM should rule that it provides significant encumberance.

QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
... turn a long coat into a pair of armored pants, thus allowing you to add another long coat without it being layering.
You can buy armored pants. Your GM can decide how much encumberance a pair of 4/2 pants would be.

QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
A Fashion spell to make an opponent's clothing cover his head with a hood that has no hole in it.
I treat this as a munchkin trick, and don't allow it in my game. As justification for it, I (as GM) have declared that anything that reshapes the material during the period the spell is being sustained (before it becomes permanent) will break the spell. Therefore you can do this to an opponent who is unconscious or tied up, but not to one that struggles to get out of it. That's just my choice, as GM.

QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
A Fashion spell to Turn normal clothing into Tres Chic clothing, letting the mage on a-budget-with-no-enchanting make some nuyen during his downtime.
I allow this, but use the highest die in the Sorcery Test to convert the material as an indication of how well the new clothing can stand up to scrutiny by a potential purchaser. Yes, magicians can make money lots of ways with their spells, and this is one of them.

QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
A Fashion spell add camo patterns to clothing, getting the camo bonuses and simply morphing the pattern as needed for the situation.
Sure.
RedmondLarry
There is a duplicate of this thread at Fashion Spell. Go post over there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012