Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creating Decker Characters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
satcong
Following on from the excellent Idiots Guide to the Matrix thread, I was wondering how other people went about creating their own Decker characters and the rational behind their decisions. For instance,

1. Using the Priority System, how would you prioritise? What benefits are there for non-human characters? Skills or Attributes, which should have the higher Priority?

2. How do you distribute Attribute points? Is Charisma important? Are Physical Attributes important?

3. What Skills would you take and why and at what Rating? What about non-computer based skills?

4. How about Cyberware and Gear? Is that Encephalon really necessary?

Any thoughts on this and/or reasons why you make one choice over another would be greatly appreciated.
Sphynx
Resources First, Attributes 2nd, Skills 3rd, Dwarf 4th

Int and Quickness first at least a 6 each. 5's in Willpower and Body (Spell Resistance) unless he's gonna try CSS-Rigging as well, then we 6W/4B and sacrifice Str/Cha at 3/3 each. Even as a Combat Decker cause we'll go Guns insted of Melee.

Computers, Computers B/R, Electronics, Electronics B/R (all at 6)
Stealth, Etiquette and Athletics at 4, 4, 2 respectively.

Cyberware: Cyberleg, All the Rigger stuff including VCR-2 (I really dig CSS), stuffed in the leg with 2 Datajacks. MathSPU-3, No Encephalon, just to expensive for what little it does, Smartlink and Cybereyes.

Whyfors? CyberLeg cause it's so much more nuyen and essence friendly than going for Cranial Deck and Head Mem. Even for Rigger stuff, so much more friendly to both Nuyen and Essence. High Int/Qui for the Reaction bonus. If the game lets.... Mnemonic Enhancer-3 is KEY for a char like this because the Rigger half will want to learn alot of vehicle skills, both active and B/R.

Unlike most other characters, I'd never start with a CyberDeck. You can't start with a good one (You need at LEAST an MPCP of 8 to be effective) and it gives a good reason for your first run or so. To steal one. nyahnyah.gif

That's just me though, half the people that will respond will want the background history FIRST and then help. nyahnyah.gif They do things backwards.

Sphynx
Gorath
Just a short remark, QUI is just a point if you want to fire a gun, in pure DNI Mode your Reaction is given by your INT...
satcong
Interesting that you mention starting the character without a Deck. Given that the Kraftwerk-8 is a cool 400,000 nuyen.gif how do you earn this much cash?

I like the idea of stealing one biggrin.gif although I anticipate a certain amount of backlash from the irate owner!!

On another note, you appear to suggest a Decker/Rigger hybrid which is something I had not thought about but will do so now... thanks.

I am not sure about Etiquette (Matrix) as a skill. How does this actually help you and how is it used?

Why the cybereyes? Can these help with B/R skills?

Ancient History
Deckers (as opposed to Otaku) should take Resources first priority to get a deck and some decnt cyberware-Math SPU, Encephalon, Cerebral Booster, Mneumonic Enhancer, whatnot.

I'd take skills second rather than attributes, to max out Computer, Electronics and their associated (B/R) skills. All good deckers usually ahve Biotech too. If you do take Attributes second, it's because you want to max out Intelligence for lotsa knowledge skills and languages; and don't want to be weak in your physical states; or you're a troll and don't want to take too bad of a hit in Intelligence.

CHoose a metahuman race for third, you might as well. Magic'll be last most likely anyway.

Etiquette (MAtrix) is useful for pumping your matrix contacts, dealing in the matrix (which all good GMs should force their Deckers to do) "Please Mr. Deus don't kill me! I can speak 133+!"<roll, roll>

There's a lot of different bits of cyber the enterprising decker can take, though I always advise on high-quality as a priority, makes more room for bioware to save your weak decker arse.
Fortune
QUOTE (satcong)
I like the idea of stealing one biggrin.gif although I anticipate a certain amount of backlash from the irate owner!!

Not if he's dead! wink.gif

They can if you implant Microscopic Vision! smile.gif
TinkerGnome
Enhanced articulation is also good for deckers since it boosts so many of their skills (though it does that for everyone). Technically, it adds a die to your computer tests, as well, but I'd check with your GM before trying that one (you can probably get the die for programming, just not actual decking).

As for decks... well, it all depends on the GM. If the best you can do is a MPCP-7 deck (availability 6, the Kraftwerks is avail 10, usually making it out of your league) then you might want to look at building one custom. Most GMs won't let you have one for cost (they take forever to build up from scratch), but the custom design rules make an MPCP-8 deck cost a bit more than stock, but not too bad.

In fact, the example custom deck on pages 66 and 67 of Matrix is fairly good at only a little better than the Kraftwerks (better I/O, worse storage memory, but you get ICCM in there, too). Look at the prices and you'll see where all of the money goes (software). Of course, that's only if your GM lets you get a custom deck with a rating > 6.

It's worth noting that in the example, the decker never bothered to ask for a power cord, making their new purchase the world's fanciest paperweight till she gets one wink.gif

As far as priorities... well, cash is critical, so Resources A. From there, you're 100% free to pick what you want to taste. You need exactly one skill to be a decker (Computer), and six points is all you can spend on that. Your Int should probably be a 6, as well, since knowledge skills are helpful to you, but besides that it's all up to you. For gear, you definitely want the Math SPU and a datajack. Beyond that, again, you're wide open.
FlakJacket
Depends what type of decker you're going for. More often than not I'd say you needed to takes resources as A since they hoover up nuyen for decks, peripherals and programmes. Last decker I played too every programme at rating three for around a hundred and eighty grand, but with the key ones as high as possible.

If you're going for a combat decker then it's usually attributes that come next since you're going to have to be actually breaking into places and getting shot at. If you're just jacking in from a remote location then I'd say swap skills for B and take attributes at C. All this is of course assuming that you don't want to be a troll or elf of course. smile.gif

If you can, try and barter the GM into letting you take a slightly better deck like the Krawtwerk. Yeah it breaks availability, but a lot of GM's allow it and it means you're not hobbled to begin with. Although as already noted - this provides a nice lead-in to a run boosting some corp decks for you and fencing the rest.

A quick note on weaponry though. I've found that deckers seem to do really well with shotguns as a main firearm- practically the same damage, if not slightly better, as a burst from a SMG but without the massive recoil mods.
motorfirebox
it's worth noting that you can use Centering on your computer skill. whether you can do this while surfing the Matrix is up to your GM's interpretation of the rules--personally, given the massive cost of trying to be both a physad and a decker, i'd allow it. in the end, the character will be less effective than a "pure" decker or "pure" physad.
Ancient History
As a comparison, your average Otaku will have the equivalent of an MPCP-9 or so deck. The advantage that the Decker has over the Otaku, of course, is that the Decker can focus his karma on improving his skill and his cash on improving his tech.

The Decker's programs can exceed the flexibility of the Otaku's Channels, in that a single program can be used for multiple different functions. An otaku would have to raise several Channels to rating 10 with karma to equal a Decker with a Rating 10 Decrypt program.
motorfirebox
indeed. a starting decker who puts his money in the right place will beat out a starting otaku every time. otaku just don't have the channels to be as effective. on the other hand, once an otaku gets some karma under his belt, he can be really scary.
Ancient History
I should note that the highest rated MPCP had been 14, and the highest level Computer skill 15. Fastjack is almost certainly higher than both.
cleggster

I have a ? Has anybody tried using the deck creation rules for starting characters?

I gave a player 1 year of game time to design and build his deck. Using his starting money. He came back with a good deck with a rating 8 MPCP. He didn't have time to add reality filter though. I then gave him 6 months to design his programs.

I liked that way of doing it. Everything was customized, an he didn't start off with a weak deck. Problem was that if he ever lost the thing, he would be back with a Radio Shack. It was a hard temptation with me not to screw with the one player who had his entire career wrapped up in a single, portable, item.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody else used the custom build rules at char gen?

Sphynx
QUOTE (satcong @ Aug 27 2003, 10:57 PM)
I am not sure about Etiquette (Matrix) as a skill. How does this actually help you and how is it used?

Well, good for buying programs and such, if you go into a computer store looking like you know your shizzt, easier to get a discount, so you use "Etiquette" to get ot her stuff and "Etiquette(Matrix)" to get hardware and software. In addition to that, its good for getting info. Can't find it with a search? Head to a Decker haven and ask. On a successful role you might get the correct Node to hit for the info. I personally never specialize with Etiquette though, there's no need in 3rd Ed.

Yes it can w/ Microscopic vision. -2 to TN to both Computers B/R and Electronics B/R tests. Also, anyone w/ a Datajack (and you should have one of those as a Decker... nyahnyah.gif) should have an Image Link so his jack is more useful than for just Matrix work. And an Image Link reduces the Essence of a SmartLink by 0.10. And of course, everyone needs LowLight.

Sphynx
satcong
My 'shopping list' is growing by the day! I definitley think Resources is Priority A.

I particularly like the idea of letting decker characters have the opportunity to design their own decks/programs. Of course, this does depend on the player's familiarity with the rules.

Nobody has yet addressed the problem of raising 400,000 nuyen.gif to purchase a deck. I know there are a lot of variables but how much would be a reasonable payment for a matrix run to, say, steal a datafile?

Also, given that there is plenty of PayData out there (and bearing in mind the consequences outlined in SR3 of attempting to steal it all) how often do your deckers go on a 'treasure hunt' to bolster their income?

What about Karma awards for a run?
Abstruse
According to the Shadowrun Companion, a datasteal is worth 20% of the value of the data. In reality, a datasteal (just like any other broad category of Shadowrun) can vary depending on several factors. 1) How much the data is worth 2) What security you'll have to face 3) Other requirements for the run (like say the system is off the Matrix and you have to physically penetrate the site in order to get the data).

Plus you also need to remember a decker theoretically could be doing more than just one run a month like his counterparts on the team. A decker can do a simple datasteal over the Matrix in an hour or two at most. This of course isn't fair to the other players, but it would be a fact of the reality of the world. These wouldn't pay much, maybe a grand or so each, but it's still a way to help pay the bills.

The Abstruse One
Sphynx
Well, if you insist on buying in-game instead of stealing a Deck somewhere, don't even think of paying 400k. Buy the Matrix book if you don't have it and make a nice MPCP-8 Deck (buy any part rating 6 or under at char gen even) Then build it. Here are some invaluable tool tips for building your own Deck:

Microscopic Vision
Math-SPU 3
Edge: Aptitude, Computers B/R
Knowledge: CyberDeck Construction - 6

Now you've got -3TN to most of your tests, and to top it off, a Complementary Dice Pool of 12 Dice (Math SPU can add twice it's rating to the CyberDeck Construction). The hardest thing to build is the MPCP-8 which has the base TN's of 8, 8, 4, 8. You can reduce that to as low as 5, 5, 2, 5 while rolling as many as 18 dice averaging 4 total successes against a TN 5 (every 2 successes on a Comp Skill is actually only 1 success).

Sphynx
Ancient History
A note: for those with money/Essence to burn an don't care to have cybereyes ruin their natural vision, you can install a single cybereye with microscopic vision and a tool laser on the palm of your hand.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Ancient History)
A note: for those with money/Essence to burn an don't care to have cybereyes ruin their natural vision, you can install a single cybereye with microscopic vision and a tool laser on the palm of your hand.

Why not just have the microscopic vision done as a retinal mod?

As far as making your own decks goes... keep in mind that the hardware is easy. It's the software that's a pain. Be sure to purchase a decent computer with a boat load of active and storage memory as well as the best programming assistant (preferably with the self coder option) you can manage. IIRC, it takes less than a month to build a good deck from scratch if you don't have to make your own programs. A good rating chip burner also helps.
Kurukami
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Microscopic Vision
Math-SPU 3

Now you've got -3TN to most of your tests, and to top it off, a Complementary Dice Pool of 12 Dice (Math SPU can add twice it's rating to the CyberDeck Construction). The hardest thing to build is the MPCP-8 which has the base TN's of 8, 8, 4, 8. You can reduce that to as low as 5, 5, 2, 5 while rolling as many as 18 dice averaging 4 total successes against a TN 5 (every 2 successes on a Comp Skill is actually only 1 success).

Sphynx

Personally, I wouldn't waste 4 edge-points on something which comes into play as rarely as Computer B/R, but that's just me.

Also, precisely where are you getting the notion that a Math SPU will add to a skill like Cyberdeck Construction? It specifically says (on p. 21, M&M) "adds twice its rating as a Complementary Math skill to any math-related skill tests."

Building a computer is definitely NOT math-related. Calculus, sure. Computing the trajectory of a falling object, fine. Knowing how best to solder and construct the motherboard on yer spankin' new deck, no way.
Sphynx
Yeah, buy your Mult 1's and 2's at Rating 6 and buy your Mult 3's at Rating 4. Then 'upgrade' them with programming skills is the best I think. That keeps each program at about 15,000 each. If you go Resources A though (recommended) any extra cash you have, put it into programs. For 6,050 nuyen.gif you can buy yourself 1,200 offline storage MPs which enough for ALL the SR3 (not counting what's in the Matrix book cause I've not made a Decker with those utilities yet) programs at Rating 6 *except* Offensive and Medic. Save those programs until you've built a Deck.

Sphynx
Sphynx
QUOTE (Kurukami @ Aug 28 2003, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (Sphynx @ Aug 28 2003, 03:43 PM)
Microscopic Vision
Math-SPU 3

Now you've got -3TN to most of your tests, and to top it off, a Complementary Dice Pool of 12 Dice (Math SPU can add twice it's rating to the CyberDeck Construction).  The hardest thing to build is the MPCP-8 which has the base TN's of 8, 8, 4, 8.  You can reduce that to as low as 5, 5, 2, 5 while rolling as many as 18 dice averaging 4 total successes against a TN 5 (every 2 successes on a Comp Skill is actually only 1 success).

Sphynx

Personally, I wouldn't waste 4 edge-points on something which comes into play as rarely as Computer B/R, but that's just me.

Also, precisely where are you getting the notion that a Math SPU will add to a skill like Cyberdeck Construction? It specifically says (on p. 21, M&M) "adds twice its rating as a Complementary Math skill to any math-related skill tests."

Building a computer is definitely NOT math-related. Calculus, sure. Computing the trajectory of a falling object, fine. Knowing how best to solder and construct the motherboard on yer spankin' new deck, no way.

Ah, you're referring to 1 of the 4 tests I see. Assembly (the last and final part). Design and Software are quite conceivably math-related, and if you get some success on Design, Assembly has a lower TN, so it won't even matter just as Cook doesn't really matter.

Our groups interpretation is that the Math SPU can give bonuses, I admit it's an interpretation, but hey, he can at least try. nyahnyah.gif Even if for no reason other than the Software test, it's still worth trying.

Sphynx

[Edit]FYI: For a TN 5 to build these bad boys, the Edge is well worth it. For the time and money he puts into building a Deck, he can sell it to make it worth having built 2 and paid for programs. nyahnyah.gif[/Edit]
Kurukami
But suggesting that ALL Software tests get 6 complementary dice for tests because of something that costs less than 12,000 nuyen.gif strikes me as a bit whacked. Following that logic, getting a rating 3 math SPU means you always get 6 complementary dice whenever you're creating your own programs... eek.gif

Um, no. You want complementary dice for software tests? Buy a programming suite.
Ancient History
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 28 2003, 12:07 PM)

Consider: you're a a troll with thermographic vision, or an elf with low-light, or an adept with funky adept eye-powers.

You don't want to have to replace your eyes, with their natural inherent advantages. So yo install a cybereye in the palm of your left hand, and inside the cybereye you install microscopic vision and a tool laser, maybe even an eye datajack. When you want to do some work, you close one eye, open the one on your hand and hop to it. Tool laser makes up for any loss in manual dexterity.

Plus, it's handy as a surprise tactic in some situations, like looking around a corner, or saying "Talk to the hand" before zapping somebody.
Sphynx
QUOTE (Kurukami)
But suggesting that ALL Software tests get 6 complementary dice for tests because of something that costs less than 12,000 nuyen.gif strikes me as a bit whacked. Following that logic, getting a rating 3 math SPU means you always get 6 complementary dice whenever you're creating your own programs... eek.gif

Um, no. You want complementary dice for software tests? Buy a programming suite.

First off all, the extra dice only reduce time (you need a success before Comp Dice give bonus successes). So it's not like it is 6 extra Active Skill die.

Secondly, it's not more out of whack than a -2 TN Smartlink. nyahnyah.gif

Lastly, yes, you always DO (by our interpretation) get 6 extra Comp Dice when writing programs. Nothing out of balance about that at all. If I didn't spend so much time calculating while programming, I could program ALOT faster. And that's all it means... faster programming, assuming you get a success on the Active skill test.

So, Uhm yes. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
Gorath
Just as you discuss about Programming:

How many dice can you roll maximum at your Programming Test? (as starting character)

7 Computer(Programming)
+3 Task Pool (Encephalon 2 + Cerebral Booster 2)
+7 Complementary (Programming suite)

So maximum 13 successes... or is there a possibility to get more?

Fortune
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Consider: you're a a troll with thermographic vision, or an elf with low-light, or an adept with funky adept eye-powers.

You don't want to have to replace your eyes, with their natural inherent advantages.

Retinal Mods do not replace natural eyes. They are modifications to the natural eyes, and do not screw with any inherent sight a character might have, such as Thermagraphic or Low-Light.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)

You don't want to have to replace your eyes, with their natural inherent advantages. So yo install a cybereye in the palm of your left hand...

Ah, that's a good idea, then. I rather forgot about being able to install eyes in other spots on the human body (freaky, isn't it?) and misread your suggestion. smile.gif
Glyph
satcong wrote:
Following on from the excellent Idiots Guide to the Matrix thread, I was wondering how other people went about creating their own Decker characters and the rational behind their decisions. For instance,

1. Using the Priority System, how would you prioritise? What benefits are there for non-human characters? Skills or Attributes, which should have the higher Priority?

I would usually prioritize A: Resources, B: Skills, C: Attributes, D: Race, and E: Magic. I would give the A to resources to get a decent starting deck (yeah, your first deck won't be that great, but to me, starting out without a deck is like starting out a rigger saying "He'll just steal a car so he has a vehicle."), as well as programs and the essential cyber and bio. Orks and Dwarves are beneficial, in that they have a boost to Attributes (which, at Priority C, really benefits from it). Orks are not as well suited - you will need the Bonus Attribute Edge to start out with an Intelligence of 6. A dwarf takes a hit for dwarf-adjusted gear (not bad if it's just things like weapons, vehicles, and clothing - and even if it's a straight 10% penalty to all starting gear, 900,000 Nuyen is still enough), but first, you have +4 to Attributes, and second, you can start out with a higher Willpower. Dwarves are definitely a good choice for playing a decker, especially under the Priority system.

2. How do you distribute Attribute points? Is Charisma important? Are Physical Attributes important?

With skills and resources demanding so many points/the two highest Priorities, you are best off concentrating on Intelligence and Willpower, with a decent Body as well. Quickness is next, then Charisma (you want at least a basic Etiquette/Matrix to be able to find information), and Strength. I only concentrate more on physical Attributes if I am doing a sammie decker, and Charisma if I am doing a face decker - both very possible, but you will have to make some sacrifices to your pure decking potential to do it.

3. What Skills would you take and why and at what Rating? What about non-computer based skills?

The essentials are Computer (for decking) and Electronics B/R (for making illegal jackpoints). Computer B/R and Electronics are less important, but you should probably have them at 3 or 4 since it's always useful to be able to fix your own deck, and electronics are so ubituous - and the Computer B/R should be high if you plan on building your own deck. Every character period should have Etiquette, and the Matrix specialization is often a good idea. Beyond that, Stealth, a good ranged weapons skill (like pistols), and maybe Athletics. If you are relying on a Deckmeister for most of your gear, you might be able to get a decent skill set for Priority: C - freeing up B for Attributes. For knowledge skills, pick ones that fit your main role - deckers have an incredible number of useful knowlegde skills, so take most of them for that and only use a few for things like Gang ID or Seattle Nightclubs.

4. How about Cyberware and Gear? Is that Encephalon really necessary?

The Encephalon is a nice piece of 'ware. The Math SPU: 3 may give more bang for the buck, but remember - the Encephalon doesn't just raise the Hacking Pool, it also gives a nice Task Pool, too. I would skip it for awakened or sammie deckers because of its high Essense cost, but for a pure decker, it's worth it.
Ancient History
Bioware is the decker's friend. Aside from all the neat-o neural bioware, it's cheaper to get muscle toner and muscle augmentations than it is to get the equivalent cyber: saves essence.
The White Dwarf
Several notes from reading/skimming the list.

For a decker INT is by far the most important attribute. When jacked in, it alone matters for all your actions, pools, stats, etc. Its also used for knowedlge skills, which allow you to take System Familiarity skills (if you have Matrix) amongst others, helping you in the matrix more.

The only other attributes I would focus on are Body/Willpower so you can live through getting hit (happens to the best of us). Be sure Quickness is probably at least 4 to wear some armor and have a decent gun and stealth skill, and charisma of high enough that you can get Etiquette-Matrix 5 without losing too many points paying past your attribute.

Why etiquette 5? Because *all* generic, non-hacking matrix searches run off *etiquette-matrix* and at skill 5 you get a -1 tn mod. Not computer, etiquette.

Other skills to be sure you have, besides computer 6, are computer b/r, electronics, electronics b/r as high as you can get them. Also the aformentioned etiquette, a gun skill, and stealth up to whatever your linked attribute is at. If you have points left athletics, negotiation, and a vehicle skill like car or bike will serve you well.

There are several different "rulings" on how starting gear works, depending on which theory of thought your GM ascribes to. Personally, we follow the books to the letter, so limit avialability to 8 or less, ratings to 6 or less, and nothing requiring a beta clinic for implants.

Which means that for us, a decker can start out with a novatech-6 deck and some rating 6 utilities. *sleaze* is by far the most important, as are the other basic operation ones like access, browse, attack, etc etc. You seem to have a handle on this from the other thread.

For implats, a Math SPU 3 and Encephalon are the way to go. Personally I find 2 datajacks useful, as well as some Memory, a chipjack, and a knowsoft link. So many useful knowledge skills for deckers, sometimes it pays to just chip one. Also microscopic vision is good for working on your deck (or maglocks, youll prolly have the skills anyhow), as are display and image links to read anything you downloaded into your head.

As for bioware, enchanced articulation helps with most of the b/r tests youll make, and the gun and stealth ones, so Id pick it up if you can afford it. It doesnt help with decking if you are in DNI mode (you should be) so its more of an icing on the cake thing to help you be more effective off the matrix. Anything available only as cultured bioware technically requires a beta-grade clinic to have, and so is technically not allowed to starting characters; although its commonly ignored as the posts above indicate (same goes for whether or not the mpcp or a deck counts as a rating for the under 6 rule). So the other stuff is good to save for later on, gives you something to work towards. Just check with your GM first on both points.

For non-decking non-implant gear, Id advise just two things. First, a satelite uplink harware, such as a dish and wires. That is very useful for getting around trace ic. Second, grab a dataline tap at rating 6. Grab 5 if you can afford them. Assuming your deck mpcp is 6 or less (ours always is at starting) you can use them to make illegal jackpoints out of things like cameras and soda machines. This lets you do on site decking a LOT easier since you dont have to find a real jackpoint (and again makes it harder to trace you even though youre in the building).

That is all, hope it helps.
Fortune
QUOTE (The White Dwarf)
...a chipjack, and a knowsoft link.

If you have a chipjack, you don't need a knowsoft link. smile.gif
Kurukami
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (The White Dwarf @ Aug 29 2003, 05:40 AM)
...a chipjack, and a knowsoft link.

If you have a chipjack, you don't need a knowsoft link. smile.gif

Sure you do. smile.gif After all, the data on the chips can be copied into headware memory, and to read it from there you'll need that knowsoft link...

I am curious, though, why the original poster recommends two datajacks in addition to a chipjack.
Panzergeist
Microscopic vision shouldn't be possible as a retinal mod. That would require bending your eye's lenses harder than they could tolerate. It might also require impossible great retinal density. Plus, seeing at microscopic level might give you more information than the human brain can process, and the only solution would be to zoom in, which organic eyes can't do.

As for ware, what about the level 4 math spu in Shadowtech? Does anyone have that book? I've seen the level 4 spu listed in a shadowrun equipment list I downloaded, but don't have a description. A piece of bioware I'm surprised no one mentioned is the trauma damper. This handy little baby allows a decker to remain conscious after taking deadly damage of either kind, so he can jack out. It also makes him completely immune to simsense overload when his icon takes damage. In fact, I recomend the trauma damper for pretty much anyone who isn't magically active. As for muscular augmentations, they pretty much sidetrack a decker from being a decker. If you really think your decker needs a boost in the physical department, just get a suprathyroid gland. If that isn't enough for you, your decker character just needs to work out more.

The idea of not starting with a deck is intruiging. It would certainly save a lot of money if you could pull it off. As for the Gm giving a new decker 18 months to build stuff before joining the group, that seems gratuitous. For one thing, the decker's attributes and skills should have increased during such a long time span. To rephrase, they should have been lower beforehand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012