Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Geas for Physical Adepts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shockwave_IIc
Being that i've played Champions super hero game (though not for a few years mind). I recently remembered that in that game there was i power limitation you could take called "Always on" Which not to suprisingly meant that the power was always on, you couldn't turn them off even if you were uncousious. *1

So i was thinking that could the same thing be translated into a reasonable Geas for Adepts??

Being that all magically active people in SR have to by law register themselves, (and their powers i believe) getting spotted on the side walk by random lonestar mage could be a problem. Even with masking you could not over come this flaw as all it can do if you have powers active is show you as a non-initate.

Ofcause tacking this with some powers would be a bad idea (killing hands Deadly as an example). others not so (imp Stealth)

Ideas? Thoughts on this???

*1 Ofcause in champions the powers had to be also "Zero Endurance" And "Persistant" so for SR purpose's Powers that require an actvation (smashing blow) or caused drain (Attribute boost) can not have this Geas put on them.
Herald of Verjigorm
Geasa are limits. Limiting an improved skill to never turn off has no disadvantage because it only applies when using that skill anyway. Only if you can think of a numerical or social condition when it would be a weakness should this be allowed.

There may be some in the adepty book of house powers that this geas would fit with, but most of the official ones are specific test bonuses with no drawbacks.
Eyeless Blond
The only times I could see this being usable is when having the skill "always on" has some kind of downside. Most adept powers don't have auras or anything, do they? So I don't think they'd really be a problem being always on.

There are a few that would be a problem to have on all the time:
Killing Hands (always on max setting)
Astral Perception (biggie right there!)
possibly: Improved Reflexes (incur "jumpy" penalties as Wired Reflexes?)
Vision Mag 3 (always on max setting; other improved senses could be problematic here too)
Endgame50
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)

Good idea, but no go. A custom geas should make it so it applies at least half the time. Somewhere in MITS, not sure which page. Now obviously, alot of the sample geasa aren't quite like that (talisman geas, for example), but that's the spirit of it. Always on really isn't a penalty cause well, adept powers *are* always on, which the exception of "activated" ones.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Endgame50)
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc @ Jul 20 2004, 02:03 AM)

Good idea, but no go. A custom geas should make it so it applies at least half the time. Somewhere in MITS, not sure which page. Now obviously, alot of the sample geasa aren't quite like that (talisman geas, for example), but that's the spirit of it. Always on really isn't a penalty cause well, adept powers *are* always on, which the exception of "activated" ones.

'Course and GM that doesn't threaten a talisman geas at least once isn't doing his or her homework wink.gif
RedmondLarry
Interesting. I might allow some form of this as a flaw ("Magical Character glows" or "Aura of a Killer", perhaps) but not as a geas.

In our campaign, being magical is not a crime and in Seattle does not have to be registered. Doing magic requires a permit each Spell above Force 2. Just our way of handling it.
spotlite
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Jul 20 2004, 07:55 AM)
The only times I could see this being usable is when having the skill "always on" has some kind of downside. Most adept powers don't have auras or anything, do they? So I don't think they'd really be a problem being always on.

possibly: Improved Reflexes (incur "jumpy" penalties as Wired Reflexes?)
Vision Mag 3 (always on max setting; other improved senses could be problematic here too)

Active adept powers would have an active astral signature, surely? Sustained or quickened spells do unless masked. I don't see why active adept powers which are deliberate magical effects would be any different. Otherwise Masking on an adept is WAY powerful. They always look mundane, even when they're jumping thirty feet in the air? God I hope not! [Edit] Question - if they are 'active' when used, does that mean you could ground a spell through them? I take it that's been asked before.

I would think that in normal circumstances inactive powers would not be discernible in your aura (except someone maybe very good at aura reading or psychometry) although the fact that you're a physad would be. Active powers would then be identifiable as such, though I don't think your standard mage would be able to do more than say 'its a damage causing power' (for killing hands or distance strike etc) or 'its enhanced his senses somehow, some form of detection magic' (for any of the enhanced senses, magic sense, etc) unless they were well versed in physical adepts powers or something, anyway.[/end edit]

On the topic at hand, I see where you're coming from with the 'always on' thing, but i have to agree while it might make a cracking Flaw, its probably not suitable as a geas.

Maybe a 2 or even 3 point Flaw of 'active aura' instead then, might be better? Go so far as even the 'dual natured' Flaw? In either case Masking would allow you to look non-initiated but you'd still be blatantly obvious on the astral plane because your powers are 'active' as far as your aura is concerned even if you aren't using them. H'mm... maybe a 4 point Flaw at that!

If you wanted a fairly crippling geas, how about 'must use astral perception to use powers.' Not only do you have to pay for your astral perception power unless you're house ruling or something (my group don't, in that regard), but you now have to be fully dual natured (with attendant target modifiers I suspect) in order to use whatever power is geased. When its something as lowly as enhanced perception of some kind, that could be quite hazardous, never mind the problems if you geas your reflexes... And think of the issues with background count and mana warps!

I hope that made sense. Its very late here.
spotlite
Just ignore that question about grounding spells. Duh.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)

MMMMMMM.... Dual Natured......
Shockwave_IIc
Thanks for the response's, and for a fair few of the powers i agree it's not limiting, but for others it is (Killing Hands, Astral Perception as mentioned along with Increased reflexes and Magic Resistance)

But like with all Geas they have to be approved and monitered by the GM.
hyzmarca
The entire point of "always on" in Champions is to create characters like Cyclops and Rouge from the X-men, who's uncontrollable powers limit their interaction with other people. If Cyclops ever looks at someone without his glasses or visor, that person will probably die. If rouge touches skin-to-skin that person would suffer severe injury and may die and Rouge absorbs powers and trace memories that she probably doesn't want.

Taking it as a geas for killing hands could work, depending on your perception of how killing hands words. If it just turns stun damage in to physical, then there is no point to the geas. However, if it channels deadly energy into anyone the Adept touches, it would be very limiting. If the Adept shakes someone's hand with wearing thick gloves, then that person would simply drop dead. absent-mindedly killing this way would be very bad.

Of course, this goes against the very concept of an adept. Adepts control their body and "always on" is a lack of control. But, I'm sure that there are some twisted adepts who would be very willing to lose control over their killing hands for an extra point of power.
Fygg Nuuton
delay damage 2 would be nice for always on smile.gif
Shockwave_IIc
I looked at that as a possible other power, but's theres a line that say's anytime upto 24 hrs (or something like that) so the adept choose now, not extactly delayed isit? Though you could put a minimum time on it i suppose.

Side Note: Can you "dispel" the charge of energy??
KillaJ
Yes you can dispell it.
Zazen
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The entire point of "always on" in Champions is to create characters like Cyclops and Rouge from the X-men, who's uncontrollable powers limit their interaction with other people. If Cyclops ever looks at someone without his glasses or visor, that person will probably die. If rouge touches skin-to-skin that person would suffer severe injury and may die and Rouge absorbs powers and trace memories that she probably doesn't want.

The other point of it was to cheese-out with powers like regeneration which you want to be always on anyway, thus getting yourself a free 1/2 limitation. I saw that a lot in my very short stint playing Champions.
Crusher Bob
Then that an abuse of the system. Just like planet man and the landlord are.

You could also use always on for power like growth and density increase. If your super hero is a 3 meter tall animate satue of Ghandi. Then you take growth and density increase as always on, to sho that you can't shrink down to 'normal size' when you feel like it (like most other people with the growth power can do... Like Apache Chief).
danbot37
and in MiTS, it states if you want killing hands to do less damage, you incur a penalty like holdin a punch
Zazen
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Then that an abuse of the system. Just like planet man and the landlord are.

Yeah, no kidding!
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Jul 22 2004, 05:12 AM)
Then that an abuse of the system.  Just like planet man and the landlord are.

You could also use always on for power like growth and density increase.  If your super hero is a 3 meter tall animate satue of Ghandi.  Then you take growth and density increase as always on, to sho that you can't shrink down to 'normal size' when you feel like it (like most other people with the growth power can do... Like Apache Chief).

But just to drag my own thread completely off topic did you know that if you did't buy power defense (i think) someone can technicly shrink you? Dispite the fact you could quite possibly meant to be that big/ heavy naturally!
Crusher Bob
Another pretty commonly house ruled geas is 'visible' which means your adept power is 'visibly' magical. Glowing hands for killing hands, stuff like that.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Another pretty commonly house ruled geas is 'visible' which means your adept power is 'visibly' magical. Glowing hands for killing hands, stuff like that.

Very Anime
Sahandrian
We have a path of the magician adept in our group who's enhanced senses are always on... She didn't get any benefits for it, it was just a style thing. But she still yells at people for firing guns near her (Improved Hearing).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012