Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How come they changed the logo?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thanos007
Why the absence of the para critter skull? How come?

Thanos
Adam
FASA wanted a more modern-looking logo that they thought was more marketable across multiple mediums.
Method
And with the general public's propensity for believing that all RPGs are of the devil, having what looks like a big goat skull on the cover of the book doesn't help...
The Grifter
But it was just so......FRAGGIN' METAL! I loved it.
Arz
Actually I thought it gave a rather Old West feel to the cover that really tied in with Amerindian art.
Shadow
I like the new one. It is more tech savvy. The original Shadowrun was not nearly advanced enough. The old logo was a very 'lo-tech' looking logo.
Garland
While I like the feathered-serpent/dragon-looking thing, I really thought the ancient parchment with circuitry on it was pretty cool. The skull I could take or leave, it's kind of silly.
Kagetenshi
It is nice that the critter that the skull came from is a part of canon now, though.

~J
shadd4d
What critter? Mutated Cow?

Don
Odin
yes please enlighten the masses. (so we don't need to spend hour scouring our sourcebooks.)
Fygg Nuuton
id say horned bear, although it doesnt look anything like a bear skull, just my guess
BitBasher
Piasma
Necrotic Monkey
It's not a Horned Bear. A bear's skull doesn't have anything remotely similar to the shape of the skull on the old Shadowrun logo. I also don't remember any descriptions of a Piasma having horns.
BitBasher
A Piasma had horns in it's picture IIRC! biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
Hrm. You're right.

The horns from a horned bear pasted onto a piasma, then? wink.gif

~J
Wireknight
Actually, I am under the impression that the original logo artwork, done by one Michael Arcana, was never paid for(I believe he sued, but I am unaware if any compromise or judgment was reached) and thus a legal liability.

The logo change was probably in no small part a decision to protect the Shadowrun line from legal action.
Kagetenshi
That would be quite a long run before covering their asses, so I doubt that.

Not that it's impossible.

~J
Odin
well thats assuming they didn't want to taunt the artist for a while before changing the logo first
"neener neener neener we've got your logo and there's nothing you can do about it!" biggrin.gif
shadd4d
But look how many books had that logo: Lots of sourcebooks had a miniature on the back cover, while it was glossed on the main handbook. That's a lot of "neener neener neener we've got your logo and there's nothing you can do about it!"

Don
Odin
true but thats what makes it so funny. wink.gif
Moirdryd
The Old Logo certainly had that gritty Wildwest feel to it and perhaps a hint of MadMax? where as the new/current Logo has that bleeding edge Corp suit feel to it. My Opinion. Both were/are cool .
FlakJacket
Although it's probably showing my age a bit, a little something. smile.gif
hobgoblin
*raises glass*
to flakjacket silly.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012