Full Version: [ShadowsOfEurope] AH's SoE Review
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ancient History
Well, I finished.
[ Spoiler ]
Synner
Thanks for the review. Seems like you liked biggrin.gif

Some passing comments:
The New Old World - I've had both types of responses to the N'drangheta. Some people caught it from the shadowtalk alone, others had to read the GI.

Czech Rep - This was a fun one to write. Lars, Tobias and I had been planning this even before Schwartzkopf in DotSW and it was a joy to write all the way through. We got to put in all the weird drek we hoped. Hell, Rob even met me play with Milo Czerda, how cool is that! Regarding the question mark I'll get back to you when I get a copy of the book in my hands wink.gif

Italian Confed. - Came out better than I expected. I really hope people like, it had long been my hope to put the Catholic Church under a different light... and yeah, Pope John XXV is not what people expect of a Pontiff - an old dude with a heart of gold who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty for the greater good.

Portugal - In some ways the ass-end of Europe, Lisbon, is a microcosm of European and Mediterranean culture. It should have a feel all its own and everybody has a finger in the pie making it the crossroads for a number of plotlines (there's more than one reason Spinrad ran here when he got shafted in Marseilles).

UK - I hope you liked the surprise. Now the real questions are, is P. the real deal? Is that really E.? And what the hell are the druids doing? BTW - What's the picture?
Adhoc
Ada Jury is Adam Jury's sister. Bull insists that she is hot.

Does it make you feel like using any of the settings?

wavey.gif
Adhoc
Ancient History
The UK picture was the one with the Pendragon, face Union-Jacked, Sword held horizontally above his head.

Is Teacher who I think he is?

I've used the UK and parts of the Allied German States before in my games. Personally, I have half a run already in mind in Auvergne, France; and possible visits to Switzerland, Poland and the Czech Republic. I keep looking at the various and sundry Awakened forests and a little voice is telling me "Ryhope Wood!" But I haven't been giving it more than half an ear, jsut yet.
shadd4d
QUOTE (Ancient History)
The UK picture was the one with the Pendragon, face Union-Jacked, Sword held horizontally above his head.

Is Teacher who I think he is?

I've used the UK and parts of the Allied German States before in my games. Personally, I have half a run already in mind in Auvergne, France; and possible visits to Switzerland, Poland and the Czech Republic. I keep looking at the various and sundry Awakened forests and a little voice is telling me "Ryhope Wood!" But I haven't been giving it more than half an ear, jsut yet.

The teacher and the guy posting as him is Schwartzkopf.

What that might mean in reference though, I have no idea.

Don
Sepherim
Thanks for the review AH. I was starting to go nuts without any critics about it.
shadd4d
As an art comment, I liked it. Almost all of it, as far as I could tell, was original, barring two pieces (the full page bit for Tir Nan Og was from that sourcebook, as is the large B&W with the two elves, one of which has a magically glowing hand).

I found the reprints from the defunct card game a tad funny after I placed them.

Germany: The Street Scum challenge
Switzerland: The sudden Goblinization card from Underworld, I believe.
Tir Nan Og: Oddly enough, that's the old Tir Taingre location card.

Don
Synner
Actually, the art's one of the things I'm most anxious to see. Especially the full page chapter headers. The ones in SONA were quite evocative and set the tone for the chapter for the most part. I'm hoping the ones in SOE are equally cool.

AH - Which Teacher are you referring to? Milo basically fingers (hooves?) the one in the Czech chapter iirc, but there's a couple of references hidden away to who might be P.'s "mentor/teacher"...
lorg
I'll be a bit abstract here, my book is at the post office (I'll be picking it up after work) so I can't be entirely sure exactly what it says but I probably have a good guess unless they completely rewrote the entire chapter from scratch.

5h until work is over ... Time sure doesn't fly today ...

The SU
I love the SU. Oodles of great stuff. I was really looking for more on the Klauterbund (sp?), Grandfather Elk and the Beserker adepts, but those'll be squeezed in later. Bitchings: The new Vikings are barely touched on; and Sweden seems way too green and perfect. Also: where's the monarchy? I want my funky royals, dammit!

Since Dag haven't said it yet I'll do it: On behalf of the SU people we thank you.

Monarchy; Seem to recall we had minor notes about this but they where cut in favour of something else and text constraints, after all we squeezed in four countries into one chapter.

About Sweden seeming way to green and perfect, the green is mold and we are rotting from the inside out instead of the other way around.

To explain my thought process here (or why it became like that). When I read alot of the other pieces regarding the other nations I saw what I perceived as a "who sucks the most"-fest, if I had done the same it would not stand out but I'd just be piling on the suck-fest so instead I went the other route as in everything is fine, even better then before, but we have a nice shiny coat but we rot from within.

After all if someone ain't doing fine how are you supposed to know that the others suck? For something to suck there has to be something better to compare them to.

Then as mentioned before we did have to cut stuff, I had wanted a more "Paranoia" feeling but that didn't really materialize. There are a few other things I had wanted more of to but well that didn't happened for one reason or another (WINTERNIGHT!!!)
shadd4d
And yet the Swedes are okay picking on the Norwegen. Some things never change. grinbig.gif

Don
lorg
How else will they know their place? biggrin.gif

This is one of them things that have centuries of history behind them, which where well to much to explain and it would really bring anything to the "gaming experience".
deeweef
QUOTE (lorg @ Jul 21 2004, 10:03 AM)
I'll be a bit abstract here, my book is at the post office (I'll be picking it up after work)

Dang. I should've ordered from Leisure instead of supporting my local pusher.

Since Dag haven't said it yet I'll do it: On behalf of the SU people we thank you.

yep love.gif cool.gif

Monarchy; Seem to recall we had minor notes about this but they where cut in favour of something else and text constraints, after all we squeezed in four countries into one chapter.

They were very minor. I guess that can be contributed to my (our?) personal taste, I'm just not very interested in royal stuff. And our royalty are dead boring as well, although the Swedish girls are starting to liven up a bit. biggrin.gif

[ Spoiler ]

btw: deeweef = Dag Fossmo
lorg
3.5h to go ... Well since my local pusher doesn't stock or support shadowrun so I don't support them.

Well yeah the royals are a bit boring, but just for you AH. We all have pretty elven princesses frolicking about in the forests and showing off their goods smile.gif Happy now?

About the spoiler; Ohhh! Now I'm even more excited, think I might have to come down with the 3h flu or something to leave a bit early. I guess I spoke to soon, statement previously made retracted until further notice smile.gif

deeweef
Don't get your hopes up too high, it's just a brief mention in shadow talk.
lorg
Ok think I have seen that one then, it was there previous.
Namergon
About France : if Rob had let the French team decide the size of their chapter, it would have easily made 200 pages biggrin.gif
About druids and the Mist, well, there's no real point (given the wordcount limit at least) of making rules about something no PC will be able to use. But we could think about it now if people are eager to know more about this... wink.gif

thanks for the kind comments ! love.gif
Ancient History
Welcome. I really like this book.
hobgoblin
wtf, vikings? dont tell me you took the idea i tossed as a half-joke when this was a community project and ran with it deeweef smile.gif

btw, most of what i come up with is for one reason or other thonge-in-cheek or acidicly sarcastic when it comes down to it. i like putting things on the edge to get people attention...
audun
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
wtf, vikings? dont tell me you took the idea i tossed as a half-joke when this was a community project and ran with it deeweef smile.gif

My fault, not deeweef's. They developed a bit though.
deeweef
Yes, the Vikings referred to in the book is a trans-union biker-gangs which are dubbed the Vikings. Your idea IIRC was about viking settlements on the western coast of Norway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012