Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Persona Programs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
Hi all,

I can't seem to find anywhere in SR3 the associated costs of Persona programs.

I know their total has to be less-than MPCPx3, but are they purchased like normal Utilities? IF so, what is their size to determine cost?

I was unable to find anything on SR3:206 about how to determine size, purchase price, or even how to set them. There are no Combat Actions like "adjust Persona attribute" or anything, so i'd guess this is all handled off-line.

I know this is covered in VR2, but I can't find my book at the moment.

Thanks.
Necrotic Monkey
I believe they use the same costs as Special Utilities of the same rating and size multiplier, but don't quote me on that. I don't have Matrix handy.

Usually you don't buy Persona programs. They either come with the deck or are programmed individually while creating the deck.
shadd4d
You can buy the programs if you want to cook the chips yourself. All programs, persona and all the others included, can be bought according to the Matrix rules.

In Matrix there's a table based on simple sizes and multipliers. The persona programs and all other things with a program, such as MCPC, Reality Filter, ASIST interface, etc have multipliers for buying just the program and cooking it yourself. Look at pg 94 and pg 55 for more info.

Don
Eyeless Blond
I thik the real questions here are: 1) do I have to pay for the persona programschips when I buy a stock deck? 2) How about a custom deck?
shadd4d
1) Stock deck: Comes with it, I think.
2) Custom deck: Read pages 66-67 in Matrix. You have to choose the persona ratings with the deck and pay for it like every other piece of firmware on the deck.

Don
RangerJoe
It's usually assumed that one set of persona programs comes with a stock/begining deck. The assumption comes from the fact that the BBB doesn't deal with from-scratch custom decks.

As a starting character, I might want to make a deck from scratch (just have lots of free time and the one GM in the world who loves the matrix) in which case, I'd have to include persona proggies in my design.
GrinderTheTroll
More specifically:

1) How do I choose the rating for my persona programs when I start?
2) Can I change them once I set them?
3) What's the cost of buying new ones or upgrading them?

There is no reference to any of this other that the blurb in SR3:206 about Persona Programs.

Guess I need to find my VR2 book! frown.gif
shadd4d
Man, switch to Matrix 3. It has everything you need and then some.

1) Just choose them for a stock deck.
2) Having chosen your ratings, you don't have to run them at full. If you have bod 6, you can still run it at bod 1-5 should you choose.
3) Long formula in Matrix.

I used to have (still do actually) VR2.0. I heartily recommend upgrading to Matrix, just because a lot of things changed in program design, the rules for reality filiters, the addition of the icon chip (how your icon looks), some new programs, new IC, integration of lots of things mentioned and then ruled, new otaku rules, and better AI rules, plus a look at who is actually providing what for using the Matrix. The tone of the Matrix is different, as it is what everyone uses (everyone uses email, ergo everyone uses the Matrix to a certain extent).

Really, get Matrix.

Don
Necro Tech
BOD and Evasion have a multiplier of 3 and masking and sensor have a multiplier of 2 for the software components if you wish to buy them. Street index applies of course. You must also purchase the hardware component or design it yourself using the rules in Matrix. OMC are .5 nuyen.gif per MP and don't forget the chip burner and a lot of spare time. Remember that no individual persona prog. can be higher than your MPCP and that all four together cant exceed (MPCP X 3).

You cannot adjust the ratings of your BESM's or any utilities from what you programmed them at. A rating 7 sleaze will always be rating 7. You can temporarily alter your BESM's by uping 1 by 50% and lowering another by 50%. You can obviously do this twice (but a rating can only be adjusted once at any given time). For example a deck with 8/6/6/6/6 can go to combat mode by going to 8/9/9/3/3 or infiltrator mode with 8/3/3/9/9.
Kagetenshi
Of course you can't adjust Big Eyes Small Mouth, GOO owns the rights to that!

~J
GrinderTheTroll
Thanks for the information, it's too bad SR3 doesn't mention *any* of this information, i'd atleast expect to see some basic pricing information if nothing else.

Time to look for Matrix:3, hopefully it's not as lame as the movie. wink.gif
WolfJack
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Time to look for Matrix:3, hopefully it's not as lame as the movie.  wink.gif

Most certainly not! Matrix:3 is a great sourcebook, though I was disappointed that it didn't cover any basics in more detail (being new to decking when the newest game of SR started up).

Also, if you are going to play a decker that codes his own utilities I highly recommend checking out the
Computerizing the Matrix sourcebook (CCOC) thread and software.

No more pesky math for programming!

-Wolf
GrinderTheTroll
Holy goodness batman! biggrin.gif

Thanks Wolfy for the link!
WolfJack
You're very welcome. Just make sure you thank Venndigram too since he's the one that put the time and energy into coding it.

-Wolf
hobgoblin
if you want the basics of decking, go for SR3, matrix expands on the info in there so its expecting you to have at least read if not understood the stuff in sr3...

vr2 on the other hand tossed the rules from SR2 out the door so therefor it allso had to cover the very basics of matrix action...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012