Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Image Link
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Apathy
Can you get an image link in natural eyes? Or will I have to buy the cyber eyes?
sidartha
As far as I know you can. Since it has it's own Essence cost, as sort of a clear retinal overlay linked to a Datajack.
Then again I could be wrong. frown.gif
Crusher Bob
All of the cyber eyes 'add-ons' can be bought seperately as retinal mods... This way, if you have natural vision mods you want to keep, you don't lose them.
Eyeless Blond
*Almost* all of them. Stuff like eye guns and eye datajacks I think are only available in cybereye form.
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
*Almost* all of them. Stuff like eye guns and eye datajacks I think are only available in cybereye form.

Ultrasound vision is also exempted, IIRC.
Kagetenshi
I'm almost certain that it isn't. Eyeguns and eyelasers (and eyedatajacks) are, as previously stated.

~J
sidartha
But that sort of thing says in it's discription "installed in a cybereye". So my advice is read the discription of the device and if it doesn't say otherwise it can be installed in the natural eye.
Necrotic Monkey
Not in 3rd Edition it doesn't. It states that it allows you to display images and text in your field of vision. No cybereye required.
KarmaInferno
Hmm. This got me to thinking...

I just got rid of a annoying bit of ad-ware that was quite persistant.

Can you imagine the problems folks will have in the 2060s?

How many suicides from one too many pop-ups in your image link?

indifferent.gif

There IS a limit to how many times one can see "NEED TO ADD A FEW INCHES?"
GrinderTheTroll
Karma, ever see Minority Report? If not, there was a scene where Tom Cruise strolls into a department store and is bombarded by advertisements for his size of clothing, new products etc., just based on the retinal scan that was preformed when he walked in the front door. I kinda think it'd be something like that.
FlakJacket
Already there. Check out the credstick section from SSG.
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I'm almost certain that it isn't. Eyeguns and eyelasers (and eyedatajacks) are, as previously stated.

You're right, by canon, US vision is available as a retinal mod. Not in my game, but by canon. spin.gif
hobgoblin
well given that ultrasound takes the echo, runs it tru some algorithms to calculate 3d space and then spits out a image (most likely in b&w) id say it could nicely tie into the visual nerve going back to the brain somehow in the same way as i see display and image link doing. eyeguns and similar will most likely be using up a lot of space in the eye socket so a cybereye is a must in that you can then reduce the size of the optic system a great deal (it would work similar to a cellphone camera, just higher rez and optical zoom for sharpening of the image to some degree)...
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Karma, ever see Minority Report? If not, there was a scene where Tom Cruise strolls into a department store and is bombarded by advertisements for his size of clothing, new products etc., just based on the retinal scan that was preformed when he walked in the front door. I kinda think it'd be something like that.

This is all very true, and could become a major problem when displays become much cheaper, but I seriously doubt that most people will have that problem with their image link mods. Remember that image links by default are not part of the Matrix or anything else, and thus have no remote-control capabilities of any kind.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
Hmm. This got me to thinking...

I just got rid of a annoying bit of ad-ware that was quite persistant.

Can you imagine the problems folks will have in the 2060s?

How many suicides from one too many pop-ups in your image link?

indifferent.gif

Amusingly, this *exact* thing is touched upon in Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age, which I finally got around to reading this past week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012