Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tiered Hosts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
I don't have Matrix:3 yet, so any page references are welcome!

My question is should deckers know (visually) if any additional Hosts/LTGs are attached to the Host they are connected to, or should they need a "Location Access Node" (LAN) operation to find more? The description in SR3 calls this "directory assitance for the 6th world" but it makes reference to LTG address, and not address for hosts.

I made my deckers use the LAN-operation if they wanted to search for new connections from their current Host, aside from what they knew already existed (aka the way they came in).

I suppose I could just explain the Iconology as well guarded entrances to other structures or parts of the Iconology that they'd need to try and get passed opposed to making them perform a LAN-operation. For more exotic/secretive Iconologies, this sometimes wouldn't be obvious.

Any thoughts?

(Here is the simple Host I was using)

WolfJack
Matrix 3 p120 has your answer:

ANALYZE HOST
Net successes achieved in this operation can also be used to determine the following details about a host:
Whether the host is a virtual machine (see p. 121).
Whether the host is an ultraviolet host (see p. 48).
Whether the host is a bouncer host (see p. 118).
Whether the host has a vanishing SAN (see p. 120).

ANALYZE SUBSYSTEM
This operation will identify the presence of command sets, trap doors, worms, scramble IC programs and any other hidden defenses or system tricks present on the subsystem (see System Tricks, p. 1 1 7).

From that I would say the answer to your exact question:
My question is should deckers know (visually) if any additional Hosts/LTGs are attached to the Host they are connected to,

No, they do not know visually and would have to Analyze the host and/or subsystem in question.

-Wolf
TinkerGnome
Wait, none of those things listed under the analyze programs actually relate to a chokepoint system or a host-to-host configuration.
GrinderTheTroll
Thanks for the information Wolf, it's greatly appreciated.

Yeah Tinker I was just realizing the same thing.

Needs to be something like "Whether the Host is connected to other/multiple Hosts".
WolfJack
Glad to help out.

While that isn't it exactly, I think it is the best thing and gives the most realistic flavor to it. The only other system operation I can think of would be Locate Access Node but that still doesn't sound right.

Just to wing something I would say that when you log into a host you can see the interfaces, ports, etc as icons BUT there would be no way to tell what they are without looking at them some way. Even then if you look at them they might not make any sense unless you know exactly what you are looking for or the local admin put some real world labels onto them.

As anyone that works in IT can tell you, naming conventions can be a bitch.

-Wolf
TinkerGnome
The most likely case is that you describe the other notes as part of the iconography. In some systems, it's going to be obvious and he might have to do some interrogation (Analyze Icon? dunno).
Necro Tech
Its actually a function of Browse. Its and interogation operation like any unknown quanity. You say to your GM, "He who makes makes my life hell, I would like to know if there are any hosts connected to my current location. The test would be index. After three successes you get your answer.
GrinderTheTroll
Ok so I can't find the Matrix 3, but did find my VR2.0 book which is, in essence, identical to SR3 and I'd imagine Matrix 3.

This answers my question:

QUOTE (VR2 p.36)
HOST NETWORKS

Arranging these hosts in a host network can provide ease of play and a logical design.  In a typical two-tier network, a first-tier host--probably a high-security chokepoint system--connects the netwok to the grid.  Any number of second tier hosts live "behind" the first-tier machine.  To travel from the hub to a second-tier system, a decker must perform an Analyze Subsystem operation on the Access subsystem of the first-tier host (unless the desingers are wildly paranoid and hid the subsystem) to find the connections, then perform a Logon to Host to the second-tier host.

Thanks again for all the feedback and insight.
mfb
isn't this simply a matter of using a Locate SAN operation?
Necro Tech
Yup, Locate SAN it is. Target is Index, utility is browse. Interogation rules apply as above.
GrinderTheTroll
Since I only have SR3 and VR2 atm, is that something that is mentioned in the Matrix book? Only thing I could find from my books was in the VR2 text.
mfb
i misspoke. it's Locate Access Node, not Locate SAN (System Access Node). SR3 p217.
GrinderTheTroll
I hate to keep poking around this, but from my first post I mentioned that the Locate Access Node, doesn't specifically mention anything beyond LTG address, its what I defaulted to at the time.

What I was looking for was some specific mention about tiered-host access, like in my example linked pic.
mfb
LTG addresses are addresses for hosts--an LTG address is an address on an LTG. so, yeah. it's just a Locate Access Node op. i suppose, if the access nodes have specific icons, the decker could also do Analyze Icon on them and find the same information--but unless the access node's icon screams "i'm an access node!" (maybe it's a doorway icon, or something), that's a tedious option.
GrinderTheTroll
So I am a bit confused then.

So how many success will reveal all the pathways? 1-per-path? Problem as I see it, is that each path is not know to the decker. LAN-opration requires the decker to make an inquiry, the more specific the better. How can they query if they don't know it exists?

I like the explanation i found in VR2:

QUOTE (VR2 p36)
To travel from the hub to a second-tier system, a decker must perform an Analyze Subsystem operation on the Access subsystem of the first-tier host (unless the desingers are wildly paranoid and hid the subsystem) to find the connections, then perform a Logon to Host to the second-tier host.
mfb
well, your PLTG is pretty small. i wouldn't apply a modifier for non-specifity; any search is going to turn up something. i'd go with providing 1 host per success.
WolfJack
Using your image:
A decker in host "A" (Red host) could only see host "B" (Green host), with one or more successes, as that is the only host attached directly.
A decker in host "B" (Green host) could see hosts "C", "D", "E" (Blue hosts), with three or more succeesses, as those are all the hosts attached directly.

Most Interrogation operations reveal things on a 1-for-1 basis, but remember to subtract the system success from the decker's before determining what information is revealed.

Not sure if that is the answer to your question but I think it should.

Technically speaking the only host that would have an LTG# would be host "A" (Red host) since that is the only host connected to the LTG itself. The other hosts might be part of a PLTG, and have corresponding PLTG#'s (though that is a whole other setup), but other then that there are no LTG#'s to worry about. There should be some kind of system address that the host uses to keep track of what other hosts are connected to it.

To me it is very much like having a network behind a firewall and running NAT. To the world at large there is one host, LTG#, that all the traffic comes from. The main host is the only place that knows about any other hosts, devices, etc that it communicats for.

Using current world examples and your diagram, host "B" (Green host) would be like an internal proxy server/firewall and host "A" (Red host) would be your connection to the Internet (router, dsl modem, etc) and the only device visible to the outside world.

That's my take.

-Wolf
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (mfb)
LTG addresses are addresses for hosts--an LTG address is an address on an LTG. so, yeah. it's just a Locate Access Node op. i suppose, if the access nodes have specific icons, the decker could also do Analyze Icon on them and find the same information--but unless the access node's icon screams "i'm an access node!" (maybe it's a doorway icon, or something), that's a tedious option.

mfb,

Isn't Analyze Icon only good for Icons? I know the test is similar, but Hosts aren't icons are they? I thought Icons were things like IC, Deckers, Frames, yourself, etc.? Am I missing something?

You'll have to excuse my continual line of questioning, I am just not sure why you don't like the VR2 explanation, it exactly describes the situation I am asking about.

Wolfjack,

You pretty much nailed my logic when I made this system, this was my system example I used to help introduce decking to my runners. They decided to deck from the inside instead of coming in from the LTG.
mfb
i don't like the VR2 explanation because VR2 is not a 3rd-ed SR book. one should not have to consult rulebooks from previous editions for rules questions from the current edition. also, the Locate Access Node fits the situation better, in my opinion. every host, whether it's on a grid or simply linked to another host, has a SAN. if you want to find a SAN, you use the Locate Access Node operation--that's just what it's for.
GrinderTheTroll
mfb is teh devil!! vegm.gif

J/k, thanks for the insight again, its well apprecaited.

As a side note, if I could find a damned 3rd Ed. Matrix book i'd buy it up, I too hate having to use an old reference. dead.gif
Necro Tech
Ouch, where is santa clara in CA? I thought you could get anything in CA unless you were real far out from anything. Have you tried online or Ebay or having a friend buy it for you (if they live elsewere that is.)
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Ouch, where is santa clara in CA? I thought you could get anything in CA unless you were real far out from anything. Have you tried online or Ebay or having a friend buy it for you (if they live elsewere that is.)

Santa Clara is just North of San Jose and about 40mins South of San Francisco, and yeah seems most things are available. Sadly, most of the local hobby/game stores around don't seem to carry much if anything SR related, or it's out-dated at best.

Video killed the RPG star. frown.gif

Oh well, off to the Internet for some online goodness, thanks again.
WolfJack
I don't usually advertise RPG stores, really I don't, but I've found StiggyBaby's to be a good place to buy.

They even have Matrix 3 in stock:
http://www.stiggybaby.com/Merchant2/mercha...roduct_Count=17

-Wolf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012