Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice for a New GM
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JaronK
I'll be running food fight for a group of runners very soon. I haven't GMed Shadowrun before and am pretty new to GMing generally, and only one of the players has played before. Anyone have some decent advice? I'd also like to hear recommendations for scaling down/up the number of gangers... the party will look like this:

Shapeshifter B&E Adept
Troll Combat Adept
Human Face/B&E Adept
Cybered Mercenary
Human Face/B&E Adept #2

As you can see, the group isn't exactly tailored for combat, nor is it a terribly balanced group (when the 6th player gets back in town, we'll be adding a shaman). So... any thoughts?

JaronK
Abstruse
Without a mage, there's a chance they'll get screwed by the Shaman in the gang group unless they know to kill the caster first. An easy way to scale that down is to have the shaman not cast any spells until he "has to" (IE when the players are wiping the floor with the gangers).

IMO, Food Fight doesn't need scaling. I had a group of 4 players, a troll melee fighter, an elf decker, an elf cat shaman/face, and an elf speed samurai. They finished the fight in two turns, and the decker and shaman both got kills. The only wound in the bunch was the troll (!?) who took a shotgun slug in the gut.

The Abstruse One
Dashifen
Or, if you prefer, you could have the shaman recognize the shifter. Then, the shaman could try and deal with that character who, if she/he gets beat up, at least regenerates it. Plus, it might help you to stress the down sides of being dual natured.
toturi
Don't forget Regeneration. That shapeshifter is going to be damn difficult to put down.
mrobviousjosh
I must say, you have quite an interesting group. Tons of adepts, two faces, a shapeshifter, etc. I'd be more worried they don't step on eachother's toes, especially the faces. It's like having two rogues in a D&D group, in the end they try to kill/setup each other more often than not.
Catsnightmare
You must game with some uncreative rogue-players. The last time I played we had two rogues, one was a expert alchemist, mechanical engineer and sabotur/sapper. The other was the typical pickpocket, thief and B&E man. Two different characters of the same class who got along fine.
Kagetenshi
Two rogues in one party should be hell for the rest of the party, not each other.

~J
Grinzwilly
My advice to you: don't run Food Fight. It's a really awful introduction to playing Shadowrun.

It focuses entirely on combat, giving the players an early indication that force should be used to resolve conflict in the game world. It offers little opportunity for character development (other than deciding what kind of snacks your character favors).

It leaves out key Shadowrun elements such as legwork and using contacts. In other words, while Food Fight presents a good excuse to introduce the combat system, it is a terrible introduction to the world of Shadowrun and the way it ought to be played.

Instead, I would recommend a traditional run (i.e. runners get called by a Johnson, sent somewhere to pick something up, run into resistance, kill resistance, get item back, Johnson gives them money). It could be shorter and simpler than a normal run so the group doesn't get in over its head.

Use this first run to influence the players into a playing style you can handle. For instance, after the runners meet with the Johnson, you could gently suggest that now might be the time to check up on the Johnson's story to make sure he's not two-faced. Through the course of the run, you can gradually withdraw this guidance until the runners are totally in control.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Grinzwilly)
My advice to you: don't run Food Fight. It's a really awful introduction to playing Shadowrun.

It focuses entirely on combat, giving the players an early indication that force should be used to resolve conflict in the game world. It offers little opportunity for character development (other than deciding what kind of snacks your character favors).

Hardly. While it is combat-oriented, it clearly demonstrates that a big part of the difference between a runner and a ganger is tactics, coordination, and situational analysis.

The gangers would normally be about Equal plus having the edge in firepower, but they don't work together effectively so they get smacked.

~J
mrobviousjosh
QUOTE (Catsnightmare)
You must game with some uncreative rogue-players. The last time I played we had two rogues, one was a expert alchemist, mechanical engineer and sabotur/sapper. The other was the typical pickpocket, thief and B&E man. Two different characters of the same class who got along fine.

Well, that's very true. I've seen a charisma rogue and a pickpocketing/sneak rogue do wonders. Another that was skill based and the other that focused on combat and sneak attack. It just depends but with two faces, you have guys that are designed to do the other's job (unless they each specialized in a class of society or something like the aforementioned example). Yes, they can be hell on the rest of the party, but I've found that usually there gets to be a big pissing contest if they're too similar. The rest of the party can ignore that simple enough.
Kagetenshi
Face 1: Etiquette, Negotiation (Fast-Talk).

Face 2: Intimidation, Interrogation, Negotiation.

~J
mrobviousjosh
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Face 1: Etiquette, Negotiation (Fast-Talk).

Face 2: Intimidation, Interrogation, Negotiation.

~J

Yeah, I could see that as working....I was just saying to be careful though. Nobody likes it when their job is taken away.
Grinzwilly
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The gangers would normally be about Equal plus having the edge in firepower, but they don't work together effectively so they get smacked.

I'm not arguing that the runners can't take the gangers. That's pretty obviously true, even with weak runners. What I'm arguing is that Food Fight is a stupid, pointless run. It doesn't develop the characters or the game world at all.

The run is 80% combat to 20% non-combat, where in a normal run that ratio should be reversed. It introduces only one aspect of the game, and that aspect is rules-oriented, not world-oriented. If you want to play a role-playing game, and not just a shoot-em-up, I would suggest a different first run.
Kagetenshi
But it also introduces the fact that combat isn't just standing there blasting at each other. The PCs will get wiped if they use no cover, etc. whereas they'll have an easy time of it if they do.

The GM needs to reinforce role-playing afterwards, sure, but the run itself promotes thought, not mindless hack-n-slash.

~J
Fonitrus

I agree with Grinzwilly on this. Not completely but on the aspect of combat at least.

It will save you lots of trouble in the future if you do not emphasize combat this early. Combat is a great part of shadowrun and ingame it will show you and the group how important often becomes to get out of trouble. But its so important that it does not need any further marketting by only running Food Fight. Dont get yourself (As new GM) and your players started on a bad foot into the game. The habits (sp?) you develop early on stick with you for most part of your gaming 'career'.

It leaves out key Shadowrun elements such as legwork and using contacts. In other words, while Food Fight presents a good excuse to introduce the combat system, it is a terrible introduction to the world of Shadowrun and the way it ought to be played.

Enforce/market the legwork bit more. You said u have 2 Adept Faces. Well let them shine with their use of negotiations, interogations (be carefull with this one) and intimidation. Do all the ethiquette rules (ethiquette, negotiations, intimidations, interogations) by the book. May be slow at first but will get you and the group used to these skills being important and not just combat skills.
Eventually your group will end up needing combat skills and then you can run a variant of food fight in any locale u want, doesnt need to be a supermarket. One thing about being GM is being flexible with the story. The food fight goons can 'intercept' your group in an alley or a parking garage or they may be guards on duty. Anywhing anywhere can be transformed into food fight.
Extract the table from food fight about that random damage thingy (bursting soya cans, popping a bag of chips, toilet rolls flying in the air) etc etc and you can se it (with modifications to the present environment) to any situation to bring more flair into your game.
Combat often becomes a monotonous sequence of dice rolling and if it wasnt for the occasional OOPS or close to it (espeically when using demolitions) there isnt really any serious flair into combat.

Also combat slows the game down so you would like to let your players learn to avoid it if possible. Give each player something to do in your run eg the dude with electronics must at least once be allowed to open a maglock (make it low rating once just to get him used to the rules) etc etc... Dont force them into combat too early cause you do ave 2 faces who will never learn how to get outof nasty spots using their non-combat skills if you enforce combat this early into their playing 'career'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012