Pages: 1, 2
Apathy
I notice that underneath each of our names is a short descriptor:
Target
Moving Target
Running Target
Wishing Upon A Star
The Ghost in Our Machine

Is this upgraded based on time? Number of posts? How annoying we are?

And what are all the different levels?
KosherPickle
QUOTE (Apathy)
Target
Moving Target
Running Target
Wishing Upon A Star
The Ghost in Our Machine

Anything with "Target" in it has to do with number of posts. If you see something that doesn't have "Target" in it, that person's an admin.

I haven't seen anything higher than Running Target.
Apathy
Anything with "Target" in it has to do with number of posts,

Any idea how many posts it takes to get moving? to run?
Backgammon
QUOTE (KosherPickle)
If you see something that doesn't have "Target" in it, that person's an admin.

Not exact. You'll notice under the title (i.e. Running Target) that there is a Group notice. ONLY people who have the Admin group are admins. Aside from Members, there are (IIRC) Freelancers and Dumpshocked (like me). Feelancers are people who write stuff for Fanpro, and Dumpshocked are just reguar people who gave some money to Dumpshock to help them out. We were generously given cool titles of our choosing. Aside from that, we have no other priviledges.
Abstruse
I wonder...damnit, now you guys've got me all curious...

I wonder how long before I'm Wishing Upon a Star or whatever nyahnyah.gif

The Abstruse One
Adam
Never, because that's my custom title. smile.gif
Zeel De Mort
I think it's 100 to be a Moving Target, and maybe 1000 for Running Target.
Arethusa
Running Target is definitely 1000.
Zeel De Mort
and I'm pretty certain Moving is 100.

So I wonder how many you need to make before they give up and make you an admin.
Abstruse
So I'm a running target..what's next after that?

The Abstruse One
Zeel De Mort
Nothing, that's as far as it goes. Unless you're an admin or donate or something like that.

If you fancy a change I'm sure they'd bump you back down to Target again.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Aside from Members, there are (IIRC) Freelancers and Dumpshocked (like me)

Fredonian Expatriate.

And sadly Running Target is as far as it goes. On the one hand I'd love to see them make it more interesting, but on the other I can see why they wouldn't (can't have post-pumping and soforth).

~J
shadd4d
Since we can't see our post counts, that's a semi-irrelevant issue. Hmmm, but what would come after running target? Teleporting, acrobatic target? Teleporting, acrobatic, why won't you stand still target?

Don
Kagetenshi
You can see your postcount. Trick is, you can only see it in a sent private message.

Which, fortunately, is obscure enough to keep people from pumping thus far, it seems.

As this is a Shadowrun board, we should avoid teleportation like the plague.

~J
Jason Farlander
Another way to indirectly get a post count is to click on someone's handle and then click "find all posts by this member". But then you have to count them.
Zeel De Mort
The old board used to tell you how many posts you had.

Another way to find out is to see when you reach Moving Target or Running Target, then you'll know you have 100 or 1000 respectively. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
That doesn't help people like AH or me very much wink.gif

~J
Zeel De Mort
Well, no. smile.gif
Backgammon
Unless I'm mistaken with another board I used to post on, a few incarnations of the forums ago, there were many titles and post count was visible. But that led to retarded behaviour, so I'm happy that titles don't mean anything here. J
Kagetenshi
A lot of titles isn't necessary, but Fortune has an order of magnitude more posts than I do; that should be worth some differentiation.

~J
Backgammon
Why?
Arethusa
You can check your own post count quite easily. Just click on My Controls in the upper right corner of the page.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Why?

Because over 10,000 posts is quite a commitment.

~J
Necrotic Monkey
Too bad 9,000 or so of them were sheer post pumping.
FlakJacket
It's certainly indicative of... something all right. smile.gif
Arethusa
QUOTE (Apathy)
Target
Moving Target
Running Target
Wishing Upon A Star
The Ghost in Our Machine

Actually, how annoying you are is measured by the number of different names you've registered on the board. Unfortunately, as of this time, there is no function of the board that automatically tracks this, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
Herald of Verjigorm
No, that's just a possible indicator. Some people are plenty annoying and only use one name.
mfb
untrue. i can list a good double-handful of people way more annoying than He Who Cannot Remain Named. of course, most of them have left...
Diesel
*remembers all those flamewars*

Whatever happened to Fortune? Did he go out with the Lounge or eventually succumb to amphetamine poisoning from being in those internet cafes all the time?
tisoz
Does anyone have 10,000 posts? I don't think so, but would be interested to hear if you do.

I think Fortune was under 5000 posts.

If no one does, there may be another title at that level. Seems they follow a magnitude of 10.

[edit]Since they re-wrote the rules on the CED, Fortune no longer has much to post about. wink.gif [/edit]
Zazen
Fortune almost cracked 10,000 on the old boards. Link
Diesel
Tisoz: CED?
Kanada Ten
CED = Chipjack Expert Driver.

And Fortune did a lot a people great favors providing links and doing deep searches. I expected better out of some of you. But Fortune's been off doing things in the real world and as I understand it is quiet busy.

[EDIT] It also appears that they have sliced off the old forum counts.
Paul
Fortune still posts around here on occassion. He also post at Bulldrek from time to time (We like Post counts, and post pumping, and all sorts of flaming goodness.) and I think I swear I saw him at Underworld's forums too. Oh and for sure at TSS forums.

I wouldn't mind seeing post counts return. And some cool titles. Posts count can be fun, plus its a good way to judge how much time spends around here. Which is cool if you want to get a regular poster for a PB3 style game. (Hey 10k posts he can make my 1 post per week deadline.)
Ol' Scratch
They've tried that here a few times in the past. The only thing post counts lead to is post pumped one-line messages that have little to nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I'd personally be happy if they got rid of titles altogether, not to mention the list of high posts in My Assistant. But that's probably just me.
Backgammon
I'm just against the idea that you can judge someone's opinion based on his post count. "Oh, he has 1000 post, he's probably right" vs "That's a dumb idea, mr. 100 posts. Come back when you have more posts". The "post number influence" may not be that apparent, but it IS there.
Kagetenshi
From a private message Fortune once sent me:

"Group: Members

Note that this is indicative of two things and two alone: one, how much time he spent around here, and two, that there is no level beyond Running Target.

Also note that the postcount is updated, so that's his current count, not the count back when he sent me the message.

As for one-line messages, not all of those are for postcount; some are just for the content of the message, however trivial that might be. If they get out of hand, it'd make sense to remove the postcounts temporarily to see if they're contributing to the problem.

~J
Paul
I guess i just don't get the whole post count thing. I ignore things that bother me. People will post pump if they want to. By limiting people we set ourselves up as censors-ah this whole discussion will go nowhere.

DSF is meant to be a tame place. So be it.
Diesel
We still get all sorts of one-liners, even without postcounts. I don't think it could be much worse with them. So long as image posting doesn't happen, I think we'll be alright.
Arethusa
What's so wrong with image posting?
Kagetenshi
Among other things, it tends to be an area of significant bandwidth-insensitivity.

~J
Adam
mmm, goatse.
Kagetenshi
That too.

Though the original is now gone, IIRC.

~J
Diesel
I was thinking more along the lines of those damned image macros. If you post an "LOL!!!11!!!" picture, people tend to make fun of you less than if you were to just post "ROOFLES! rLOLerblades!"
Arethusa
With a decent enough community (which, despite its problems, this is) and good moderators (we've got 'em, even if they aren't visibly all that active), I don't see it as being a real issue. Really, some communities are condusive to goatse tubgirl lollerpops roofles !!!!1. This one isn't.
Adam
Sorry - given the recent demonstrations of listening-to-administrators that I've seen lately [including but not limited to the excess and childish cursing in the thread asking people to tone down the cursing] - I'm not inclined to believe that it's worth the hassle. For the few times that it's necessary to post an image for people to see, a link will do well enough.
Zazen
With a decent enough community (which, despite its problems, this is) and good moderators (we've got 'em, even if they aren't visibly all that active), I don't see it as being a real issue. Really, some communities are condusive to goatse tubgirl lollerpops roofles !!!!1. This one isn't.

'till you let us post images.

I have a pretty diverse collection of grossout photos that I might not be able to resist sharing. And believe me, after viewing some of these gems tubgirl will do little more than make you yearn for a glass of Ovaltine.
Diesel
QUOTE (Zazen @ Jul 24 2004, 09:44 PM)
And believe me, after viewing some of these gems tubgirl will do little more than make you yearn for a glass of Ovaltine.

You've made my chocolate milk a lot less enjoyable, I'd like you to know. At least you probably haven't experience the horror that is eel...uh...eelplay. That was the worst thing I've ever seen in my life.
Zazen
Eels really ain't so bad. Worst I've seen is a bunch of weirdos penetrating themselves with 'em. If that's what you mean, it ain't so special.

Now the one I've got of a guy penetrating a snake, that's special.
Adam
I think we're suitably off topic now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012